Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.86 Average
The End of Bates?
I think Bates is worth the $14 million.

So it comes down to is the FS position worth $14 million.
Reply/Quote
Reports are he is wanting 18-20 million a year...

bengalsnetwork_
Sources say Jessie Bates asking price is 18-20 Million a year, which would make him the highest paid Safety in the League. The Bengals aren’t willing to pay that which is why he’ll most likely be Franchise Tagged.

Sources were bengalsnetwork_ on instagram
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 01:42 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just heard we are likely to put the tag on Jessie. Hope he takes it well. Mellow
Like Casear said below, it's just to lock him because we have until July 16th(?) to get him a long-term deal. Bates seems like a guy that understands that it's just business.
(03-06-2022, 02:23 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Who cares?  He cant be stupid about it, we have no choice. This gives us 4 months to negotiate his contract. 

If he can get a team to come over our cap and sign him I'd be all for that.  Let's see who thinks Bates is worth two 1st Round draft picks...

I hope we sign a few free agent offensive linemen, sign our draft picks, and then just use the rest to give him a good deal because I think his play in the regular season may have just been because of caution so he didn't get hurt but turned it on in the playoffs.

Some people might be saying "then why would we want him if he doesn't go all-out every game," but, like I said, I think he was just playing it smart and will play every game hard because (1) he won't have to worry about his next pay day and (2) every game will be big for us because we'll be in every game and near the top of the standings. 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 05:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think Bates is worth the $14 million.

So it comes down to is the FS position worth $14 million.
He is wanting 18-20 ......bye bye
Reply/Quote
I’m all for signing him in the $15-16 mil range. Anything higher is not worth it. If this is accurate and he won’t go lower, tag him and try to trade him. If no trade keep him for the year and draft a guy to learn for a year before letting him walk.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tag is 13.5 m. I'm good with up to 5/75 maybe even 5/80 with voidable years etc. No safety is worth 20 mil imo.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:16 PM)TheFan Wrote: You're basing this on...?

Reports yesterday on instagram   bengalsnetwork_ profile
Reply/Quote
If true that's absurd and I'm okay with the Bengals not doing it. I have no idea how reliable this source on Instagram is though.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:17 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: Tag is 13.5 m.  I'm good with up to 5/75 maybe even 5/80 with voidable years etc.  No safety is worth 20 mil imo.

Tag is actually $12.9 mill, IIRC.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He isn’t going anywhere lol. They will tag him this year at the least and add a future option potentially day 2 if the relationship does sour. Theoretically even a second tag wouldn’t be cost prohibitive if he played well with the way the market is heading for most positions.

These things worth themselves out, I do doubt the accuracy of the report though because top level numbers are so easily manipulated.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:15 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I’m all for signing him in the $15-16 mil range. Anything higher is not worth it. If this is accurate and he won’t go lower, tag him and try to trade him. If no trade keep him for the year and draft a guy to learn for a year before letting him walk.

Teams like Detroit or Philly or maybe even NO if they lose Marcus WIlliams may be willing to pay him.....if so like you said tag him and trade him. Trade him to Detroit for Penei Sewell  hahahahaha
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 07:46 PM)pulses Wrote: Reports are he is wanting 18-20 million a year...

bengalsnetwork_
Sources say Jessie Bates asking price is 18-20 Million a year, which would make him the highest paid Safety in the League. The Bengals aren’t willing to pay that which is why he’ll most likely be Franchise Tagged.

Sources were bengalsnetwork_ on instagram

No point in FT'ing him.  It isn't like his asking price is going to come down if he has another bad year. Let him walk, use the money on other players, and get your comp pick.    
Reply/Quote
Bad feeling if they franchise tag him, he’ll half ass the regular season again
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:24 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Bad feeling if they franchise tag him, he’ll half ass the regular season again

I agree best off to tag him and trade him or let him walk. We don't need any added drama and distractions.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:19 PM)TheFan Wrote: If true that's absurd and I'm okay with the Bengals not doing it. I have no idea how reliable this source on Instagram is though.

Been on instagram for a year and a half has 3800 followers and it's all bengals stuff on there
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:17 PM)pulses Wrote: Reports yesterday on instagram   bengalsnetwork_ profile

Don't believe everything you read on the internutz. People love clicks.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:24 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Bad feeling if they franchise tag him, he’ll half ass the regular season again

It makes no logical sense.  Players are supposed to play BETTER in their contract year.  Jessie had nothing to gain by pouting and not playing well.  But something was obviously off with his game this year.  And didn't he even publicly admit that his play suffered because his head was not in the right place over contract issues (or something vaguely similar to that)?

So even though it sounds crazy I almost agree with Booth on this.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Don't believe everything you read on the internutz. People love clicks.

Why don't you go check it out for yourself smarta**.  He's been there for a year and a half and it's all bengals stuff and  its all true and updated info and they have over 3800 followers.... try again!!
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 07:46 PM)pulses Wrote: Reports are he is wanting 18-20 million a year...

I don't know if I believe this or not.

But I will point out that last year, when so many fans were bashing the Bengals for not working out a contract extension for Bates, I always pointed out that it takes TWO sides to make a deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It makes no logical sense.  Players are supposed to play BETTER in their contract year.  Jessie had nothing to gain by pouting and not playing well.  But something was obviously off with his game this year.  And didn't he even publicly admit that his play suffered because his head was not in the right place over contract issues (or something vaguely similar to that)?

So even though it sounds crazy I almost agree with Booth on this.

Me too! If you can't stay focused in a contract year who says after you get that big payday you may just lay down on purpose after that. No thanks!
Reply/Quote