Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fitness Thread
Figured I'd continue this from the ol' boards (because I'm an exercise science nerd). Feel free to talk, or ask questions, about anything and everything related to the world of fitness here.  :sparta:
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
In addition to working out (moderately) I sit in the Sauna 3 times a week for an hour each time. What are folks views on Sauna? I always claim it detoxes me. AKA sweat out the beer.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 07:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: In addition to working out (moderately) I sit in the Sauna 3 times a week for an hour each time. What are folks views on Sauna? I always claim it detoxes me. AKA sweat out the beer.

I personally don't do the sauna because I'm already a hot box. I know a lot of folks that do it on a regular. Some tell me it helps with the soreness after workouts. Some do it to help meet military weight requirement. That tends to only be water wight and temporary fix though.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 07:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: In addition to working out (moderately) I sit in the Sauna 3 times a week for an hour each time. What are folks views on Sauna? I always claim it detoxes me. AKA sweat out the beer.

Good for joints and skin, but not much else. I don't think they do much detoxing.
Reply/Quote
Spending up to an hour in the sauna doesn't sound very smart, unless it's much more to the 140 side than 170+.
Reply/Quote

As long as your not drinking a lot of beer before going in the sauna LOL but like JustWinBaby says an hour may be too much. 30 minutes is more than enough time. It can help with muscle soreness and does have a little bit of a detoxing effect, but that can be blown out of proportion sometimes. 

(06-27-2015, 10:14 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Spending up to an hour in the sauna doesn't sound very smart, unless it's much more to the 140 side than 170+.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 09:14 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: I personally don't do the sauna because I'm already a hot box. I know a lot of folks that do it on a regular. Some tell me it helps with the soreness after workouts. Some do it to help meet military weight requirement. That tends to only be water wight and temporary fix though.

I can definately tell when the APFT is rolling around. Guys in there in sweat suits. The only issue I have with the Sauna is it kills my eyes. My eyes water a lot and my eyes are beat red when I get out.

It is almost more of a gathering place where a few guys sitting around and talk for about 30-60 minutes. We did have one that stayed in there for 2 hours a couple weekends back. He had to go to the hospital the next day.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If you're using any type of pre-workout check the ingredients immediately. If it has bitter orange extract (or synephrine to be exact) throw it away and stop taking it immediately. C4 is changing their formula because this energy-booster has been found to have some very serious cardiovascular side effects when paired with caffeine.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-976-bitter%20orange.aspx?activeingredientid=976&activeingredientname=bitter%20orange

Edit: Not to mention it is on mainly professional athletic organizations list of banned substances.
Reply/Quote
I workout 6 days a week. 3 weight days, 3 cardio days. I use 2 supplements...Creatine and Whey protein.

The most important thing that I've found over the years, is that you have to change up and alternate routines. Stagnation and boredom are your enemies when it comes to working out.

Exercise/working out has always been my release. It's a great stress reliever and also helps to offset some of my bad habits...as far as a little too much pizza, booze, etc at times. LOL
Reply/Quote
Was going to go buy some new pre workout today. What do you all recommend? I was thinking Cellucore C4 or muscle pharm assault.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I got tired of the ups and downs with any kind of regimented workout schedule. Eventually, i'd get bored or some kind of minor injury that would affect the schedule, or i'd just be too busy to keep to it.

Over the last few months i've just been doing 30 pushups with those rotating handle thingys, 30 barbell curls and 30 situps every night around 9 or 10 o'clock. That, combined with the physical nature of my job has allowed me to keep the definition and size i'm happy with.

My wife ordered some 25 minute workout cds a year or so ago so i may add that in soon.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 03:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: My wife ordered some 25 minute workout cds a year or so ago so i may add that in soon.

I love how you play it off as if it's not a Richard Simmons video. Tongue
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 04:00 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I love how you play it off as if it's not a Richard Simmons video. Tongue

I didnt say it was and i didnt say it wasnt! Ninja

But theyre not. Wink

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Never been a gym guy, which is why I got out of shape. Joined a gym in January and was going 4-5 times a week. Probably not how anyone would recommend, but would run for 45 minutes on an elliptical, then do free weights for another 20 minutes or so.

Got to feeling really, really good. And then June hit. Family vacation, problems at a rental property, etc etc. Haven't been since last week of May and I feel like crap. Run down all the time. Back pain. Hard time getting to sleep. It's amazing how much better I felt just a month ago.
Reply/Quote
Boys,

Took a pre workout sup yesterday before my lift (MP Assault) and WOW did that shit jack me up. I was at the gym for about 2 hours just going nuts.

I havent taken a pre workout since college (about 6 years ago) and forgot how incredible this stuff is.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 08:58 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Boys,

Took a pre workout sup yesterday before my lift (MP Assault) and WOW did that shit jack me up. I was at the gym for about 2 hours just going nuts.

I havent taken a pre workout since college (about 6 years ago) and forgot how incredible this stuff is.

What are you using?  I like Bullnox, I get it from Vitamin Shoppe for under $40.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 09:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What are you using?  I like Bullnox, I get it from Vitamin Shoppe for under $40.

Muscle Pharm Assault. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 09:49 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Muscle Pharm Assault. 

They say that is great stuff, if you can tolerate the niacin flush.  I cannot, so I have to avoid products that feature niacin, or any of the "thermogenic" ingredients.

Do you use yours for every work out?  I save mine for my tougher work outs, competitions, or training after a tough day at work.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 10:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They say that is great stuff, if you can tolerate the niacin flush.  I cannot, so I have to avoid products that feature niacin, or any of the "thermogenic" ingredients.

Do you use yours for every work out?  I save mine for my tougher work outs, competitions, or training after a tough day at work.

What exactly does the niacin flush feel like? Is that the tingly sensation? 

I thought about how often I want to use it after I was done with my workout yesterday. I did a full scoop yesterday, but may cut back to a half scoop because I was pretty amped up until I went to bed last night. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 10:53 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What exactly does the niacin flush feel like? Is that the tingly sensation? 

I thought about how often I want to use it after I was done with my workout yesterday. I did a full scoop yesterday, but may cut back to a half scoop because I was pretty amped up until I went to bed last night. 

Niacin flush makes me feel hot, dizzy, queasy in the gut, pretty much ill.  Some folks report getting serious headaches.

I try not to use it every trip to the gym, that way I maintain an appreciation of the little boost that it gives me. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote