Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fitness Thread
(07-14-2015, 03:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I guess this was meant to be a joke, but it is actually very accurate.  You can really elevate your heart rate by lifting hard and fast

Yeah, big difference when I reduced time between my sets.

It's not as good as sustained steady-state cardio, as far as aerobic capacity/endurance.  But if you aren't big into running or hiking, it doesn't matter because you're getting the needed heart benefit.  I think the AMA recommends like 2.5 hours of intense exercise a week to be "fit", and you intense weight training can meet that.

I lift with decent intensity and try to walk twice a day for about half an hour.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 06:03 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: True.  Although I think ab work is overrated for non-competitive athletes. 

I disagree.  People who just want good overall body strength need to work both the abs and the lower back.  A strong core helps with balance, and prevents injuries.
Reply/Quote
Lift weights every other day.

Just started with a trainer after 5 or so years of doing it on my own (had a trainer initially to get me started) because I'm in good shape but I wasn't getting much bigger or developing muscles outside of the normal weights the first trainer had me doing).

Tomorrow morning is my second session with her, so we'll see.

Last week, I also started using a protein powder that I forgot I had and it seems to be working already (using two scoops of the chocolate powder in a vanilla shake).

We'll see if it keeps working and if this new trainer can help me get into a better routine where I focus on one or two muscle groups a day.

See if it helps with anything in the sense of me moving and walking, which I'm not expecting, but being in better shape will just help with everything, as well as making me look better.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 01:16 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Lift weights every other day.

Just started with a trainer after 5 or so years of doing it on my own (had a trainer initially to get me started) because I'm in good shape but I wasn't getting much bigger or developing muscles outside of the normal weights the first trainer had me doing).

Tomorrow morning is my second session with her, so we'll see.

Last week, I also started using a protein powder that I forgot I had and it seems to be working already (using two scoops of the chocolate powder in a vanilla shake).

We'll see if it keeps working and if this new trainer can help me get into a better routine where I focus on one or two muscle groups a day.

Good to hear all of the health problems you were having earlier this year are behind you.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2015, 11:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I disagree.  People who just want good overall body strength need to work both the abs and the lower back.  A strong core helps with balance, and prevents injuries.

I don't think he was saying a strong core is overrated. I think he was saying that traditional ab workouts are overrated as exercises for the core.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 03:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But you will never have much strength and will probably not even be able to use a screwdriver if it is on your dominate arm.

If you have a ruptured bicep tendon treated nonsurgically you're strength during elbow flexion and supination will be reduced, but you will have plenty of strength to use a screw driver.  Unless you're a competitive athlete or do strenuous physical labor that requires maximum supination strength, the orthopedist may not recommend surgery.  Like I wrote before, surgery is based upon many factors and it should be individualized and it is not a given.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/327119-treatment#showall

Quote:Surgical Intervention

Treatment of biceps tendon ruptures is a topic of debate. Several reviews of surgical repair versus conservative (nonoperative) management report conflicting results; neither a complete agreement nor a general clinical consensus has been reached. Although no concrete evidence provides unconditional support for one treatment protocol, the results of these reviews ultimately may lend credence to the long-standing practice of individualizing treatment to each patient's circumstances.

Generally accepted clinical guidelines advocate surgical repair consisting of tenodesis and subacromial decompression proximally (or anatomic reattachment distally) for young or athletic patients or for persons who require maximum supination strength.[url=http:://bengalsboard.net/javascript:showrefcontent('refrenceslayer');][4, 20] [/url]Cosmetic concerns may prompt a surgical approach when appearance is unacceptable to the patient following rupture.[url=http:://bengalsboard.net/javascript:showrefcontent('refrenceslayer');][21, 22, 23, 24][/url]

Conservative management is considered appropriate for middle-aged or older patients and for those who do not require a high degree of supination strength in daily activities. This approach involves rest, followed closely by ROM and strengthening exercises for the shoulder and elbow. Conservative therapy provides an effective and highly tolerable means of treatment; in most practice settings, the number of patients who are managed conservatively is greater than the number who undergo surgical repair. Various follow-up studies have reported that in nonoperative management, patients lose up to 20% of their supination strength, although the overall level of impairment rarely impacts activities of daily living (ADL).

Currently, it seems prudent to employ individualized and comprehensive treatment strategies tailored to each patient's needs. Such strategies consist of the following:
  • A thorough evaluation for coexisting shoulder and elbow pathology
  • Risk/benefit discussions concerning surgical repair, according to each patient's needs, desires, age of injury, and other relevant information that has been ascertained (Surgical referrals are made most often for patients requiring maximum biceps function or for individuals who are suffering intolerable pain that limits function.)
  • A focus on appropriate rehabilitation efforts aimed at maximizing functional capacity, regardless of acute management

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 04:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If you have a ruptured bicep tendon treated nonsurgically you're strength during elbow flexion and supination will be reduced, but you will have plenty of strength to use a screw driver.  Unless you're a competitive athlete or do strenuous physical labor that requires maximum supination strength, the orthopedist may not recommend surgery.  Like I wrote before, surgery is based upon many factors and it should be individualized and it is not a given.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/327119-treatment#showall

Thanks.

Had an MRI yesterday, met with the Ortho this morning. It was thin tear and he wants to give it a couple weeks to see if it heals. He said by then, I should start getting muscle response back and in a month or so I should be able to start lifting some weight with it again. If not, we will talk about surgical repair.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 04:38 PM)Benton Wrote: Thanks.

Had an MRI yesterday, met with the Ortho this morning. It was thin tear and he wants to give it a couple weeks to see if it heals. He said by then, I should start getting muscle response back and in a month or so I should be able to start lifting some weight with it again. If not, we will talk about surgical repair.

That's good news.  Hope your PT goes well and you're able to avoid surgery.
Reply/Quote
Use your good arm to spank while the hurt one heals. Wink
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 11205483_939315412772365_407212756098593...e=564A60A8]
Reply/Quote
I've been doing this 4 week workout program. It's 5 days a week.

Day 1: Bench press, dumbbell shoulder press, behind the neck press, cuban press, triceps dips, and triceps pull downs. Then do a shoulder circuit of lateral raise, frontal raise, rear flyes, and overhead press.

Day 2: Back squat, front squat, single leg press, calf raise, hanging leg raise, and ab wheel roolouts.

Day 3: Weighted pull ups, dumbbell arm rows, bodyweight row, and incline dumbbell press. Then do a bicep circuit of bicep curl, cross body curl, and pronated curl.

Day 4: Incline dumbbell bench press, incline-drop dumbbell bench press, high to low cable flyers, and narrow grip bench press. Then do a triceps circuit with triceps pull downs, triceps dips, and narrow push ups.

Day 5: Deadlift, romanian deadlift, zercher squat, weighted incline sit up, and barbell landmines.

But the key is, the first exercise of each day you do a percentage of your max. So first week you do 4 sets, which will be 60%, 65%, 70%, then 75% of your max. Second week it goes up. Third week you do your max for each set. And final week is a rest week so it goes 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%.

Also it really helps you to get over any walls you have had with your max rep. At least it's helped me so far.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 06:40 PM)xxlt Wrote: Use your good arm to spank while the hurt one heals. Wink

most people arent ambidextrous
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 02:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: most people arent ambidextrous

There is no try, only do.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
I'm a former runner who is getting back into running by using the Couch to 10K app. You start out running 60 seconds, walking 90, 3 days a week, and it goes up each week. By the end of the 14 weeks you are running 60 min straight. I am planning to run in Cincy's Turkey Day race this November with some other family members. I ran in that race when I was about 10 years old. Now I'm 50. It's part of my overall effort to get back into shape. With all the programs I have tried, including a personal trainer, it always comes back to running.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Thumbs Down 
Just a random thought on why I don't shop at GNC.

First off, the sales people push their own product lines over other brands that are better priced and better quality products. They also push weight loss products that are literally useless. I guess that's hardly unexpected for a sales position,but using junk science to sell a useless product to people who have the mindset that a pill or vitamin is what they need be healthy is damaging to more than just the person's wallet. They are carefully market their detox products as something that will help you pass a drug test - stopping just a shade short of flat out lying to avoid legal trouble.

But a lot of that isn't just exclusive to GNC. The real problem I have is with their price scheme.

Every product they have is listed at a 'regular price' and a much lower 'sale price.' Everything is always sold at the sale price. A product with a regular price of $30 and a sale price of $20 always sells for 20. Let's say this product goes on sale for BOGO 50% off - one of GNC's most common promotions. While the promotion is going on (not a minute longer or shorter) the product will suddenly be sold at the higher regular price. If you do the math, this BOGO half off offer has you purchasing 2 of the product for a total of $45. Without this so-called promotion you would pay $40 total for 2 of the product because you would get it for $20 a piece. They literally raise their prices for a day or two and advertise as an extravagant discount offer. It's not exactly a positive customer experience when you see they are literally banking on you being too stupid to realize they are tricking you it to fake deals. It takes a lot of audacity to give your customers such an obvious middle finger.
Reply/Quote

[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 02:00 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote:

There was a time when I used a rowing machine a lot.  It was a good combination of cardio and upper body work.  I alternated my grip (over hand, underhand) and range (from above my head to low on my stomach) throughout the workout, and I always did a few minutes of just bicep work.
Reply/Quote