Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Force Awakens spoiler thread
(12-20-2015, 02:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Fun fact: that was Ewan McGregor saying "Rey!" when she touches the lightsaber.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-reveals-obi-wan-and-yoda-are-star-wars-force-awakens

This is pretty sweet. Interview with Abrams and article is about that.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2015, 01:10 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: yeah, when you are down to...one....you can probably get by bending the rules.

Well, no, especially when you're the last. You're not a jedi anymore, you're something else but not a jedi.

Your responsabilities are big even more if you're a teacher. 

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2015, 03:54 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Well, no, especially when you're the last. You're not a jedi anymore, you're something else but not a jedi.

Your responsabilities are big even more if you're a teacher. 

who's to say he was that when he had Rey? (if that is the chosen path of the movie)
It's likely Luke took a walk on the dark side between ROJ and training anyone. 

We all know the Skywalkers have a tenuous past with holding up to the truth of the Jedi. 
Reply/Quote
I like the way they're portraying Ren as bratty, easily angered, and genuinely conflicted about what he's doing. That, imo, is how Anakin should've been portrayed in the prequels.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2015, 03:58 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: who's to say he was that when he had Rey? (if that is the chosen path of the movie)
It's likely Luke took a walk on the dark side between ROJ and training anyone. 

We all know the Skywalkers have a tenuous past with holding up to the truth of the Jedi. 

There is already a Skywalker it's Kylo Ren. 

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2015, 03:38 PM)Millhouse Wrote: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-reveals-obi-wan-and-yoda-are-star-wars-force-awakens

This is pretty sweet. Interview with Abrams and article is about that.

Maybe Kenobi had a brother or a sister and Rey's coming from there, that would explain her british accent.

Reply/Quote
I just saw it. Here are some of my thoughts:

Kylo Ren: I also thought about the fact that a trained force-user would have that kind of difficulty dispatching two untrained force users. Then again, they made a point that his training is not complete, and he has that inner struggle, and was injured. I hope that in Episode VIII they have the parallels between Rey and Ren's trainings.

Luke: I guess we know why he wasn't in any of the trailers now LOL I actually liked it, movies nowadays can get spoiled before coming out, and the absence of Luke in the trailers generated a good amount of buzz and misdirection. Do hope he plays more of a role in future installments.

Han: I had a good feeling going in he was toast, as Ford made his feelings clear about wanting Han to be offed. But when Chewy picked up Han's coat/robe/whatever off the ground I was 100%. Obi-Wan came immediately to mind.

Finn+Rey: What great characters. I think they'll be great characters for this trilogy.

Star Wars in general: This film makes me wish we could go back in time and give the prequels to Abrams. The actors portraying Finn and Rey are not A-list actors, but they were put in a good script and a good position to make a good flick. Episode VII just highlights how poorly written the prequels were.

All in all, it is nearly impossible to live up to all the expectations for a film like this. At times I thought it ventured too close to more of a reimagining of A New Hope than a continuation of the series, but it was very enjoyable. But overall a great movie, and very encouraging for the future of the series.
Reply/Quote
More on Ren:

I sure hope he puts a mask back on. I was kinda hoping that he had the mask on for a reason other than he's Vader's fan(grand)boy. I was thinking maybe Luke stopped him during a slaughter of his pupils or something making him need the mask. Then I was kinda hoping that in the fight with Finn/Rey his face would be got at worse than it was. With the mask he did indeed look intimidating, but without it he looked like a emo teenager with a hard on for Vader.
Reply/Quote
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

Interesting takes on how Rey and Luke was supposed to meet ( though this article in on R2D2 ) :

“Early on I tried to write versions of the story where [Rey] is at home, her home is destroyed, and then she goes on the road and meets Luke. And then she goes and kicks the bad guy’s ass,” Arndt said. “It just never worked and I struggled with this. This was back in 2012.”

This leads to think Rey and Luke are not related.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2015, 07:06 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

Interesting takes on how Rey and Luke was supposed to meet ( though this article in on R2D2 ) :

“Early on I tried to write versions of the story where [Rey] is at home, her home is destroyed, and then she goes on the road and meets Luke. And then she goes and kicks the bad guy’s ass,” Arndt said. “It just never worked and I struggled with this. This was back in 2012.”

This leads to think Rey and Luke are not related.

I just read this article not 20 second ago.

But I don't see how it makes it any more (or less) likely that Luke and Rey are related. 
Reply/Quote
Maybe I saw what I wanted to see :p

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2015, 05:36 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: There is already a Skywalker it's Kylo Ren. 

I never said he wasn't? 
Reply/Quote
Kathleen Kennedy said that "no heroes are Solos or Skywalkers", which led many to believe that Ren was a Solo (which turned out to be correct).

I don't think Rey is Luke's daughter... but who knows. I think her parents may be important characters to the story.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I thought it was awesome.

I hope Abrams signs on to do the next ones. Any idea if he is willing or if they have any plans of bringing him back?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 01:18 AM)eoxyod Wrote: Who would be the mother? I see it as more likely Kylo Ren and Rey are siblings. They let go of Rey after Kylo Ren's betrayal

This is what I thought. It was interesting how Han and Rey had a connection throughout the entire movie. 
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 01:59 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is what I thought. It was interesting how Han and Rey had a connection throughout the entire movie. 

The only problem with that is, we've had the siblings/twin thing done in 4-6. 
TFA was a reset of the Star Wars Universe in a way. It set up similarly to ANH to give us our good and bad guys and general plots. 
Setting Rey and Ren as twins or siblings would just start creeping too close to ESB and ROJ. 

She could be a Kenobi. Or maybe her fascination with junk just got Han's attention...also Han is a scoundrel and Rey is incredibly attractive....
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2015, 03:29 AM)J24 Wrote: I like the fact that they made Kylo a bad guy you hate and not a badass bad guy like Darth Vader. Dude was a complete douche bag.

He reminded me of JP from Grandma's Boy. 
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 01:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I thought it was awesome.

I hope Abrams signs on to do the next ones. Any idea if he is willing or if they have any plans of bringing him back?

Someone else is already directing Episode VIII (Rian (sp?) Johnson is the name, I think). But, no reason he can't come back as a producer or something.

Random thoughts:
  • Saw the movie yesterday and I liked it, though, TBH, I felt a little bothered with how close it came to being a 2015 version of A New Hope (hero comes from a desert planet, Death Star like weapon with a weak spot, old man/mentor gets killed by the bad guy with a red lightsaber, etc.). 
  • I must say that I saw Han's death coming. I remember reading how Harrison Ford wanted Solo to die at the end of 5 or 6, but the clincher was the interaction with Leia before they headed off to the Starkiller base.
  • I'm pretty confident there's not going to be any Vader-like redemption for Kylo Ren. I think his conflict occurred in this movie and his killing of Han solidified his turn to the dark side and the eradication of the light side within him; plus, there's just no coming back from killing your own father (at least, there better not be).
  • Speaking of Mr. Ben Solo, I'm not fond of his character. I liked Vader as a villain. He had PRESENCE. He didn't need to do anything to instill fear in those around him. Ren, as someone else put it earlier, is like a whiny teenage douchebag. I'm hopeful that now that he's embraced the dark side fully, he'll become a better villain, but so far, I'm not impressed.
  • Am I the only one nerd enough to notice that Ren's lightsaber was unstable (the light I mean)? It was staticy or not "pure". I'm hopeful this was intentional and to show that Ren's not a master of the force (yet?).
  • I LOVED how they answered some of my questions with a line here or there and not with extemporaneously long backstories. For example, why Finn doesn't look like Jango Fett.
  • Count me in as one of those who thinks Rey is Luke's daughter. 
  • Is Supreme Leader Snoke a Sith Lord?
  • BB-8 giving Ren the "thumbs up" had to have been the funniest moment in the movie. I'm still chuckling at the thought of it.
  • I dislike how the movie made Captain Phasma seem inept. She's supposed to be this badass chick in badass armor. Sort of like this trilogy's Fett. Yet, she was caught by a stormtropper and an old man, did what they wanted and was thrown in a garbage compactor. I know the character plays a bigger role in the Rogue movie, but c'mon, at least make her get away from them in a cool manner or have them work extra hard at capturing her or something.
  • Rey is very pretty (even more so if you've seen her with her hair down), but man does she have small boobs. What is she, a pre-teen or something? Smirk
That's all I got for now, but man, it's going to be a long wait 'til Episode 8 gets here.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 01:59 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is what I thought. It was interesting how Han and Rey had a connection throughout the entire movie. 

He asked for her name which is strange for a dad or an uncle.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 04:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Random thoughts:
  • I LOVED how they answered some of my questions with a line here or there and not with extemporaneously long backstories. For example, why Finn doesn't look like Jango Fett.

Stormtroopers are not Clonetroopers.

Reply/Quote