Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fumble call
At best, the ball started to come out the instant his ass hit the ground. It could have just as easily gone the other way.

To me, it looks like we stole one. But I'm hardly going to complain.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Viking fans are saying that the call on the field wasn't a fumble until the Bengals players stated they had the ball. They are really coming up with every excuse possible. Can't blame them I guess.. It's just such a bad look to blame a loss on the reffs...
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:14 PM)Tony Wrote: What do you guys think? Yay or nay? I think they made the right call. It came out simultaneously as his rear hit and no evidence to overturn it. I'm seeing viking videos and fans say the reffs did it to not be booed .. lol, just ridiculous...

When i watched it looked like he was down...     (Even though i know that doesnt help us)

Just like i thought Jeremy hill was down(playoffs 2015)....

But the refs are gonna error on the side of what was called on the field as it makes the refs overall look better for getting it right the first time.

while i wont complain it went our way (hell we are due for some calls going our way) overall i would rather see them get it right whichever team that helps  as the refs already influnence games to heavily.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:44 PM)Tony Wrote: Viking fans are saying that the call on the field wasn't a fu.bke until the Bengals players stated they had the ball. They are really coming up with every excuse possible. Can't blame them I guess.. It's just such a bad look to blame a loss on the reffs...

FWIW - I am pretty sure the sports commentators said the same.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:14 PM)Tony Wrote: What do you guys think? Yay or nay? I think they made the right call. It came out simultaneously as his rear hit and no evidence to overturn it. I'm seeing viking videos and fans say the reffs did it to not be booed .. lol, just ridiculous...

It probably wasn't a fumble but it's about time a play went our way! 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:44 PM)Tony Wrote: Viking fans are saying that the call on the field wasn't a fumble until the Bengals players stated they had the ball. They are really coming up with every excuse possible. Can't blame them I guess.. It's just such a bad look to blame a loss on the reffs...

To be fair, they are right. The ref didn't drop his blue bean bag thing till after they saw the Bengals with the ball. Then they got together and talked and awarded the ball to the Bengals. 

The replay was super close, which is why I'm not surprised the refs didn't see it. Too many bodies around the ball for them to see it right away. The call could have gone either way, but as others have said after years of being on the wrong side of these calls it sure is nice to have one bounce the Bengals way for once.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The fact that Cook and the Vikings players didn't seem upset was all I needed to know.

As been stated multiple times, the call on the field was going to win that review no matter what
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:42 PM)Mer Wrote: The ball was moving before he was down. It just didn't completely separate from his arm until his butt hit the ground. Good call, but as someone else said had it been down by contact it wouldn't have been over turned.

The absolute correct answer.

It annoyed me to death when Myers, Moose AND Pereira kept saying that, "the ball doesn't come out." Hmm, ok, so the ball is being yanked from his body and is clearly moving, simultaneously to his ass hitting the turf; that tells me that THE BALL WAS OUT, FFS.

Just because he was still touching it, doesn't mean he had possession.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:51 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: To be fair, they are right. The ref didn't drop his blue bean bag thing till after they saw the Bengals with the ball. Then they got together and talked and awarded the ball to the Bengals.

The replay was super close, which is why I'm not surprised the refs didn't see it. Too many bodies around the ball for them to see it right away. The call could have gone either way, but as others have said after years of being on the wrong side of these calls it sure is nice to have one bounce the Bengals way for once.

They didn't get together; they just sat and waited (most-likely to see who came out of the pile with the ball) and then a random LJ made the First Down call, while he and another LJ or U waved their arms to stop the clock.
Reply/Quote
I thought the ball was moving before his butt hit. It was still touching his hand but it was already wobbling out before he hit the ground.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The absolute correct answer.

It annoyed me to death when Myers, Moose AND Pereira kept saying that, "the ball doesn't come out." Hmm, ok, so the ball is being yanked from his body and is clearly moving, simultaneously to his ass hitting the turf; that tells me that THE BALL WAS OUT, FFS.

Just because he was still touching it, doesn't mean he had possession.

Exactly this.  I don't know what the big controversy is... the ball was definetly moving before his butt hit.
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry, but anyone acting like those replays were conclusive is being ridiculous (not saying anyone here is guilty of that). Whether it was actually a fumble I have no idea, but the call standing was correct. Every camera angle had someone obscuring the ball partially or wholly, and it was impossible to really know when it came loose.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:21 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I'm sorry, but anyone acting like those replays were conclusive is being ridiculous (not saying anyone here is guilty of that). Whether it was actually a fumble I have no idea, but the call standing was correct. Every camera angle had someone obscuring the ball partially or wholly, and it was impossible to really know when it came lose.

That's the thing though; the ball was still touching Cook when he landed on his culo, but it was clearly moving.

That tells me that possession was lost at some point in the half second before he was down: pinpointing the exact moment of that, however, is indeed inconclusive, hence the call on the field.

But the only conclusive thing that mattered, is that the ball was moving when he was down; period.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: They didn't get together; they just sat and waited (most-likely to see who came out of the pile with the ball) and then a random LJ made the First Down call, while he and another LJ or U waved their arms to stop the clock.

It really didn't seem like they saw the fumble at first. Again, I saw it one time live and the huddle I'm thinking of was probably after the one official signaled first down.

All in all, it really doesn't matter. It was a bang bang play, there was no conclusive evidence to confirm or over-turn it and the call stood as it should in those situations. 

It's just nice for once to be on the right side of one of those calls after years of the "Well there isn't evidence that Shazier speared Gio with the crown of his helmet and it will be ruled a fumble" type of crap we are used to having happen.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:57 PM)QueenCity Wrote: The fact that Cook and the Vikings players didn't seem upset was all I needed to know.

As been stated multiple times, the call on the field was going to win that review no matter what

cook seemed very upset.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:21 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I'm sorry, but anyone acting like those replays were conclusive is being ridiculous (not saying anyone here is guilty of that). Whether it was actually a fumble I have no idea, but the call standing was correct. Every camera angle had someone obscuring the ball partially or wholly, and it was impossible to really know when it came loose.
Actually there was one replay that they only showed once that, in my opinion, clearly showed the ball moving in his hand as a result of Pratt grabbing at it before his butt hit the ground. I kept wondering why they wouldn't show it again but then I just chalked it up to Bengal bias and figured they'd over turn the call. 
Reply/Quote
There is no way to see if it was already coming out or not when his butt touched so you have to trust the refs who made the call. No blurry still image is going to tell you if the ball was rotating already. It can be in contact with his hand and forearm and still have started the process of coming out.

The touchdown call is another matter. That might've been a legit TD that the Vikings scored but it was earlier in the game so maybe we play things differently and still get the win anyways.

Reply/Quote
It wouldn't have been overturned either way. Just happy it worked out.
Reply/Quote
Some of you saying it was the right call would be on the opposite side of the coin if that situation happened to the bengals
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 05:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Some of you saying it was the right call would be on the opposite side of the coin if that situation happened to the bengals

I thoroughly was expecting them to overturn it. And I did think Jefferson got screwed out of a touchdown.
Reply/Quote