Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Ghost of Jessie Bates
(10-16-2022, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No names, folks can just review the thread and determine for themselves. I swore off the forum last year but tried again in hopes I could bet some insight into the game. That forum is impossible to discuss the actual game and it is truly sad.

I think Ima start an Unofficial Gameday Thread next week and the rule is you must talk about the game..Novel concept, but it might work. 

Just fans being fans.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 09:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He's the biggest waste of $13 Mil on the team. We coulda had Larry Ogunjobi for about half the price.

It’s a toss up between Collins and Bates

Not a fan of either so far this year
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 09:13 PM)Whacked Wrote: It’s a toss up between Collins and Bates

Collins played great today. You hear Cam Jordan’s name at all? Me either.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 08:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: I dunno about that.... Apple had good position on the inside and he and the wr got tangled up and tripped the wr. Hill came over last second and made a good attempt on the ball though.

Supposedly, how the ball popped up after Apple was tangled with that WR, it could have been caught but Hill made sure it hit the dirt.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 09:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Collins played great today. You hear Cam Jordan’s name at all? Me either.

Great? We must have been watching two different games.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 10:36 PM)Whacked Wrote: Great? We must have been watching two different games.

You didn’t answer my question. How did Cam Jordan do today?

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 09:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Collins played great today. You hear Cam Jordan’s name at all? Me either.

I didn't get to watch the game uninterrupted, but I don't recall hearing or seeing many issues with Collins or the Oline in general.
Reply/Quote
Said all off season along with a few others to let him walk and use that $13 million on the O-line upgrade.

Not because he was a bad player just felt we already drafted his replacement and had bigger holes to fill with that money elsewhere.

Yet sure thought he would be trying harder being in a contract year after they decided to retain him though.

He had better be careful per players playing not to get hurt usually get hurt.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 10:51 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Said all off season along with a few others to let him walk and use that $13 million on the O-line upgrade.

Not because he was a bad player just felt we already drafted his replacement and had bigger holes to fill with that money elsewhere.

Yet sure thought he would be trying harder being in a contract year after they decided to retain him though.

He had better be careful per players playing not to get hurt usually get hurt.

Yep

It strikes me as weird that he started out last year stinking (basically) as well. I don't get it ??
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 10:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I didn't get to watch the game uninterrupted, but I don't recall hearing or seeing many issues with Collins or the Oline in general.

1 of the sacks was the entire left side collapsing, and 1 was Mixon whiffing on his assignment. Cappa and Collins played really well by my eye test.

Reply/Quote
The reason why Bates is getting a pass with me at the moment is simply this,

We haven’t played against a team that constantly passes the ball yet, I’m waiting for the second half of the season to see if we get the real Bates when we play against Mahomes,Allen and Watson.

It’s hard for him to shine at the moment because the drives where we are constantly getting passed on are the game losers at the end where Lou has been playing soft so you wouldn’t expect him to jump on one.

At this point in the season though I’m ***** glad we didn’t give him that contract would have been money for nothing but there is still time, he will want to be in the shop window come the end of the season.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 10:59 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: The reason why Bates is getting a pass with me at the moment is simply this,

We haven’t played against a team that constantly passes the ball yet, I’m waiting for the second half of the season to see if we get the real Bates when we play against Mahomes,Allen and Watson.

It’s hard for him to shine at the moment because the drives where we are constantly getting passed on are the game losers at the end where Lou has been playing soft so you wouldn’t expect him to jump on one.

At this point in the season though I’m ***** glad we didn’t give him that contract would have been money for nothing but there is still time, he will want to be in the shop window come the end of the season.

The Bengals have been thrown on the 5th most times in the league.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 11:06 PM)TheFan Wrote: The Bengals have been thrown on the 5th most times in the league.

How many deep shots where Bates shines?

How many of those are evening medium distance throws that would give him half a chance of doing something?

Nearly everything we’ve faced this season have been 7/10 yarders that you’d hope Hilton and Wilson were getting a chance to pick.

Later in the season if he’s still anonymous I’ll hold my hands up and be thankful we’ve got Dax ready to go next season, but if Bates was on a rookie deal this thread doesn’t get made.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 11:06 PM)TheFan Wrote: The Bengals have been thrown on the 5th most times in the league.

Yeah, I was gonna say - how is Bell getting all these picks if teams aren’t throwing on us?

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 11:12 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: How many deep shots where Bates shines?

How many of those are evening medium distance throws that would give him half a chance of doing something?

Nearly everything we’ve faced this season have been 7/10 yarders that you’d hope Hilton and Wilson were getting a chance to pick.

Later in the season if he’s still anonymous I’ll hold my hands up and be thankful we’ve got Dax ready to go next season, but if Bates was on a rookie deal this thread doesn’t get made.

I'm not going to go rewatch every throw against us so I'm not sure of the answer. I feel like when the ball is usually thrown in Bates zone he's typically 1-3 steps too late. 

I don't think teams have been afraid to throw deep on us because of Bates but again, I don't know the actual stats on that.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 10:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 1 of the sacks was the entire left side collapsing, and 1 was Mixon whiffing on his assignment. Cappa and Collins played really well by my eye test.

Yep O-line seems to have settled in. They had the one back to back brutal sacks, but the 1st sack was completely on Mixon whiffing. This line is starting to come together in both pass protection and run blocking.
Reply/Quote
I’m pretty excited to see what Daxton Hill offers. Whenever he gets his shot
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 08:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I listened to a lot of the game on the radio today because it wasn't aired here and the streams sucked. i tried to follow on the gameday thread but had to give that up early in the 1st quarter; as "The Bungles were back and the rout was on".

Laps said Dax saved the day on the last NO play. 

Speaking of Laps, he brought good insight today why it seems we throw more than run even when the run game is getting better. It's to get more possessions by scoring quicker in some situations. Especially playing from behind.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 09:13 PM)Whacked Wrote: It’s a toss up between Collins and Bates

Collins is paid half of $13M and after last year this is an odd take.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 11:24 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yep O-line seems to have settled in. They had the one back to back brutal sacks, but the 1st sack was completely on Mixon whiffing. This line is starting to come together in both pass protection and run blocking.

The back to back sacks were both overload blitzes to the left. On the first one Mixon failed to pick up the extra rusher and on the second, well, they got trucked on that left side. what hopefully they will start doing is when they see overload Burrow immediately rolls in the other direction. 
Reply/Quote