Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Ghost of Jessie Bates
(10-17-2022, 10:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: So far, he's allowed 8 catches for 106 yards and 2 TD's on 12 targets this year.  He does have the tip drill pick that drops his passer rating allowed when targeted to 99.3(down from 122 last year) and a 7.7% missed tackle %(slightly up from 7.4% last year).  

The guy is by no measure worth what he's asking.  

I would start Dax over him after what I just saw against the Saints.

I agree with the poster earlier, he is playing to not get injured.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 10:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would start Dax over him after what I just saw against the Saints.

I agree with the poster earlier, he is playing to not get injured.

I wouldn’t t start Hill over him at this point, but it will not surprise me to see Hill with a higher percentage of the snaps by the end of the season. Bates is gone, and I think most of us are ok with that. Hill will see those valuable rookie snaps become more and more frequent.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, they need to extend Vonn Bell too. Sucks both safeties are free agents.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 10:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, they need to extend Vonn Bell too. Sucks both safeties are free agents.

Bell shouldn’t be too hard to re-sign. Let Bates walk and roll with Bell & Dax next year.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 10:36 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'd say we actually got 50/50 Apple today; gave up a lot of those stupid 3rd downs, but did defense a few passes very well and crushed Hill on that hit, which kept them out of the EZ on that drive.

That hit was something...it was like Hill didn't see him coming.  
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 08:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That hit was something...it was like Hill didn't see him coming.  

Apple has made some bad plays while here, but every CB does. He's also made some big time plays, like this hit, and the hit on Hill keeping him out of the end zone. Eli has gotten a lot better than some are willing to give him credit for. 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 08:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Apple has made some bad plays while here, but every CB does. He's also made some big time plays, like this hit, and the hit on Hill keeping him out of the end zone. Eli has gotten a lot better than some are willing to give him credit for. 

No, I have been one of his biggest supporters, but this game it was like his head wasn't in it.  Made some poor mental mistakes.  Was responsible for the edge on that really long TD run.  

But, overall, I agree.  He just seemed off that game, but like I said earlier, so did Bell.  
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 08:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: No, I have been one of his biggest supporters, but this game it was like his head wasn't in it.  Made some poor mental mistakes.  Was responsible for the edge on that really long TD run.  

But, overall, I agree.  He just seemed off that game, but like I said earlier, so did Bell.  

Actually, with the exception of Awuzie, they all looked kind of off. 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 09:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Actually, with the exception of Awuzie, they all looked kind of off. 

Voodoo?  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 09:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Voodoo?  Hilarious

I was wondering if maybe a touch of the flu going around the DB room or something. Could very well have been that voodoo hoodoo stuff though
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 08:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Apple has made some bad plays while here, but every CB does. He's also made some big time plays, like this hit, and the hit on Hill keeping him out of the end zone. Eli has gotten a lot better than some are willing to give him credit for. 

Yes

Like you say every CB is going to lose on plays. Every single one All Pro or not. Apple may have several good plays in a row, pass defended, good tackles so on. Then he gets burnt on a hook and go and that's all people remember.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 10:48 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I wouldn’t t start Hill over him at this point, but it will not surprise me to see Hill with a higher percentage of the snaps by the end of the season. Bates is gone, and I think most of us are ok with that. Hill will see those valuable rookie snaps become more and more frequent.

That is cool too, still, I don't like the effort from Bates out there right now at all.

There is no doubt about Dax Hill's effort, saw it on the last play of the Saints game.

(10-17-2022, 11:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bell shouldn’t be too hard to re-sign. Let Bates walk and roll with Bell & Dax next year.

Damn rights. Should be an upgrade over what we have seen from Bates this year no question.

(10-21-2022, 08:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That hit was something...it was like Hill didn't see him coming.  

That was a nice hit by Eli. 

Popped Taysom good and you are right, it was like Taysom didn't see him and came out of nowhere.
Reply/Quote
Bates hasn't really been tested yet this year IMO.... if you look at the QB's the Bengals defense have went up against it's been mostly backups.

I'd still let him walk but he hasn't really been able to show much yet.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 12:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I was wondering if maybe a touch of the flu going around the DB room or something. Could very well have been that voodoo hoodoo stuff though

You have to think all of New Orleans that believes in that stuff was trying to hex Apple, Hendrickson, and Bell.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 01:49 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Bates hasn't really been tested yet this year IMO.... if you look at the QB's the Bengals defense have went up against it's been mostly backups.

I'd still let him walk but he hasn't really been able to show much yet.

I get what you are saying, but a safety has so many responsibilities.  Playing against a guy like Hill that can run and pass (as well as block).  The running game of the Saints and Jets are no joke.  However, I see what you are saying and Bates is at his best (IMHO) when he is facing a wide-open passing attack like the Chiefs or Bills.  
Reply/Quote
knowing the dude is gone after this yr, why not trade now and get something back for him? Not sure what we could get but I would think at least a #2 or 3 and maybe a good back up/role player tossed in to spice it up
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 11:29 AM)kalibengal Wrote: knowing the dude is gone after this yr, why not trade now and get something back for him? Not sure what we could get but I would think at least a #2 or 3 and maybe a good back up/role player tossed in to spice it up

It's an all in year.. a draft pick isn't going to help in the playoffs.  

In this particular situation you hope Bates helps deliver a SB and then let him walk.  Any other year I'd be screaming to trade him as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 11:29 AM)kalibengal Wrote: knowing the dude is gone after this yr, why not trade now and get something back for him? Not sure what we could get but I would think at least a #2 or 3 and maybe a good back up/role player tossed in to spice it up

One as a team why would you waste a pick on a guy you can get next year anyway?

In that case I’d rather just have him. He’s still been good.

Lou plays him really far back and most teams don’t try him because she’s playing good coverage so that why we may not see him get those sexy plays like Minkah and Derwin

I do wish he’d try harder to help in the run tho, but i think you do that and teams start doing more play action so maybe it’s best if he just keeps playing back
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2022, 02:03 PM)Housh Wrote: One as a team why would you waste a pick on a guy you can get next year anyway?

In that case I’d rather just have him. He’s still been good.

Lou plays him really far back and most teams don’t try him because she’s playing good coverage so that why we may not see him get those sexy plays like Minkah and Derwin

I do wish he’d try harder to help in the run tho, but i think you do that and teams start doing more play action so maybe it’s best if he just keeps playing back

Hard to argue with Lou 2nd half brilliance this year. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 10:48 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I wouldn’t t start Hill over him at this point, but it will not surprise me to see Hill with a higher percentage of the snaps by the end of the season. Bates is gone, and I think most of us are ok with that. Hill will see those valuable rookie snaps become more and more frequent.

I agree, makes good sense. I wouldn't even attempt to re-sign Bates as his replacement will get sound experience this season.Hill has more upside.
Reply/Quote