Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Ghost of Jessie Bates
Enjoy this board, but have no time for the game day threads at all.

Not judging those who enjoy it, just too busy cheering or yelling at the TV to choose to be bombarded or contributing to the knee jerk reactions.

Will give my bad opinions after game in lieu of in realtime
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 07:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Anyone else forget this guy was even on the team?

I actually saw him pull off on a tackle today. I almost spit my drink out.

For a guy that wanted to break the bank with his new contract, he's been nothing special and a ghost of himself. He hasn't really been bad per say, but where is the play making at? Step up, Jessie. This defense and team needs you!

All I know is I saw Dax Hill cover a LOT of ground and knock away a pass that could have been a huge play for the Saints.  

That being said, that Dalton floater is a lot easier to defend than a Mahomes or Allen rocket.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 08:14 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I know with CB it's a sign of respect if the QB doesn't target your assignment... but is it the same with a Safety?  

His performance doesn't jump out that he warrants a top 5 contract but it's not like the defense has been trash.  Our area of weakness seems to be Eli Apple and the run today.

We got bad Eli today...hope he goes away for the rest of the season and we get good Eli.  Bell also looked off today.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 08:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: I dunno about that.... Apple had good position on the inside and he and the wr got tangled up and tripped the wr. Hill came over last second and made a good attempt on the ball though.

He did bat it away when Apple fell, but it was a Dalton floater....a rocket by Mahomes or Allen is six points right there.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 08:24 PM)TheFan Wrote: I don't think the WR makes the catch regardless due to good coverage by Apple but Hill definitely made it 100%. Don't think Bates makes it over there if they're both running from the same spot. 

WR also looked more concerned with falling in to Apple to try and draw a flag rather than track the ball.  He seemed to lose it in the air.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 09:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Collins played great today. You hear Cam Jordan’s name at all? Me either.

Collins seems to be the new whipping boy because of his slow start.  You beat me to the reply.  He earned his paycheck today for certain.  Hope it is a sign of things to come.  
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 07:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Anyone else forget this guy was even on the team?

I actually saw him pull off on a tackle today. I almost spit my drink out.

For a guy that wanted to break the bank with his new contract, he's been nothing special and a ghost of himself. He hasn't really been bad per say, but where is the play making at? Step up, Jessie. This defense and team needs you!

Funny, I have been thinking this very though every game. Can we just trade and move on? he is not worth 18M/yr. He is not a Fitzpatrick, James kind of safety and we have Dax....
A Roqoun Smith trade sounds very very good right about now
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 10:22 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Funny, I have been thinking this very though every game. Can we just trade and move on? he is not worth 18M/yr. He is not a Fitzpatrick, James kind of safety and we have Dax....
A Roqoun Smith trade sounds very very good right about now

I don't believe this team needs Smith. He wants too large of a contract and his impact vs. that contract isn't worth it. He wants more money than Bates does. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 07:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We got bad Eli today...hope he goes away for the rest of the season and we get good Eli.  Bell also looked off today.  

I'd say we actually got 50/50 Apple today; gave up a lot of those stupid 3rd downs, but did defense a few passes very well and crushed Hill on that hit, which kept them out of the EZ on that drive.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 07:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: All I know is I saw Dax Hill cover a LOT of ground and knock away a pass that could have been a huge play for the Saints.  

That being said, that Dalton floater is a lot easier to defend than a Mahomes or Allen rocket.  

I don't think he got a hand on it.  No credit for a PD in the stats.   Still, he was in good position to make a play if the ball had been better thrown and Apple hadn't already durped him out of position.

Credit to the Dline as well for getting good pressure on Dalton that play.  I'm curious to see on the all-22 who had the coverage that made him pull the ball down on third down and take the sack.

Funny, the D has played well all season and let down at the end to give up winning scores.  Yesterday they had some problems during the game but stood up and sealed it at the end.  Being up four instead of three was big.
Reply/Quote
If you were going to trade Jessie like that, try to get a good DL for him. Someone who can help bring the heat.
Reply/Quote
I basically haven't heard Bates name all season.

Which, for a safety, is a little good and a little bad. It means teams aren't testing him deep, which is good, and it means he isn't giving up a lot of yards whenever he's in man coverage, which is good. But it also means he isn't baiting teams into throwing into his zone and creating turnovers (like Pittsburgh's safety Fitzpatrick does) and it means he isn't making huge plays in the run game or intermediate passing game (PBUs/INTs in robber formation etc) which is bad.

At this point, I just don't think he's worth top 5 safety money, especially with Chase and Burrow being must signs and Higgins being a very very strong "should sign," but that's literally why we drafted Dax Hill. Bates will play decent to good this year and then we'll see what other teams think he's worth in 2023.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 08:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: I dunno about that.... Apple had good position on the inside and he and the wr got tangled up and tripped the wr. Hill came over last second and made a good attempt on the ball though.

Yep. Anybody that doesn't think Apple played that well doesn't know football. It's really hard to be a really good CB in this league and not give up plays as many times as challenged. WR's on other teams are allowed to also make plays, too.

To basically give up 1 TD the entire day is damn good and shows everybody playing well when needed.
Reply/Quote
I am very critical of Bates because of the off-season and i am very pro player when it comes to getting what you are worth.

Bates should’ve signed the contract we offered.

I think we offered him what we did because Lou plays his FS so far back that he realistically can’t be counted on to make plays at the LOS or on routes with medium depth. On top of that Bates just doesn’t get targeted deep, meaning he’s playing well. But while playing well is good, I’m Bates’s situation it’s actually bad because he’s not able to rack up those sext stats like pass defenses, INTs and strips. I look at whole drives at times where Bates is just invisible. And i know it’s not fair because the reason he’s invisible is because he’s doing his job in coverage but when you look at FS like Minkah and Derwin, they are just more versatile.

Then there is the elephant in the room that he’s mailing it in and not getting involved in more collisions because he’s playing to not get hurt. There’s also a small chance he was lying to us about working out in the off-season and he came into the season rusty
-Housh
Reply/Quote
When Apple got beat on a pass, the PA announcer would say...Eli Apple in coverage. Which PA announcers never do.

So the Saints don't like him.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 03:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When Apple got beat on a pass, the PA announcer would say...Eli Apple in coverage. Which PA announcers never do.

So the Saints don't like him.

Can’t really blame them. It’s just like WJ3 talking shit on us after he left. But at least Apple has gotten better, whereas WJ3 has gotten worse. Much, much worse.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No names, folks can just review the thread and determine for themselves. I swore off the forum last year but tried again in hopes I could bet some insight into the game. That forum is impossible to discuss the actual game and it is truly sad.

I think Ima start an Unofficial Gameday Thread next week and the rule is you must talk about the game..Novel concept, but it might work. 

That's a good idea Bfine. Would actually like to listen to some people who actually discuss the game.

That is why I swore off the Gameday thread, it is pretty much all knee jerk once something bad happens.

Isn't worth my time. I am going to watch the game now on Gamepass and see how Bates played.

I only saw a few highlights so need to see the game in its entirety. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 09:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He's the biggest waste of $13 Mil on the team. We coulda had Larry Ogunjobi for about half the price.

Draft Bates replacement,play Dax Hill more and fire number 20,he gets beat all game and is horrible.and has been since last year.I do not like him on our team.He is awlful. Watch him all game and you will come on here and say the same,teams target him because they know he cannot cover.and gets penalties all game. My thoughts only. Cool Cool Cool Cry  
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 12:50 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I basically haven't heard Bates name all season.

Which, for a safety, is a little good and a little bad. It means teams aren't testing him deep, which is good, and it means he isn't giving up a lot of yards whenever he's in man coverage, which is good. But it also means he isn't baiting teams into throwing into his zone and creating turnovers (like Pittsburgh's safety Fitzpatrick does) and it means he isn't making huge plays in the run game or intermediate passing game (PBUs/INTs in robber formation etc) which is bad.

At this point, I just don't think he's worth top 5 safety money, especially with Chase and Burrow being must signs and Higgins being a very very strong "should sign," but that's literally why we drafted Dax Hill. Bates will play decent to good this year and then we'll see what other teams think he's worth in 2023.

So far, he's allowed 8 catches for 106 yards and 2 TD's on 12 targets this year.  He does have the tip drill pick that drops his passer rating allowed when targeted to 99.3(down from 122 last year) and a 7.7% missed tackle %(slightly up from 7.4% last year).  

The guy is by no measure worth what he's asking.  
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 10:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: So far, he's allowed 8 catches for 106 yards and 2 TD's on 12 targets this year.  He does have the tip drill pick that drops his passer rating allowed when targeted to 99.3(down from 122 last year) and a 7.7% missed tackle %(slightly up from 7.4% last year).  

The guy is by no measure worth what he's asking.  

Not worth what he’s currently making either.

Reply/Quote