Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hit on Malone
In reality, it was pass interference anyway (CB was holding his right hand back, forcing him to catch with one hand).

So whether it was a penalty or not is immaterial. We were scoring that touchdown regardless.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 07:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Looked clean to me. We just got a favorable call, although it was BS! If we are going to speak it when other teams get away with BS, you gotta speak it when we get away with BS!

Looked clean to me in real time. The sad thing is, I knew they were gonna flag it. It looked clean on the slow motion replay to me as well.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 08:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Whoa now? The initial hit was not on the chin. Therefore, you can’t hold it against the defender. We all seen the replay. The actual hit was clean.

Damn thank you. Initial contact was to his chest, of course the pic is when his helmet slid up. Did he target Malones head/face mask No. If this was Burfict hitting another player you guys would be losing your minds. It's a good clean hit.
Reply/Quote
Stupid pansy NFL refs trying to make sure their players don't end up with brains of goo when they retire. Bad call I say.

Anyways, to the OP, I agree with your post. However, this board would be complaining how it was a bad call if the play happened to us, so let's at least be consistent.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:04 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Totally agree, I stopped following boxing when they stopped using bare knuckles and put the gloves on!!

IIRC, boxing actually became more dangerous when that happened because people went more all out on hits

Anywho, people who think the NFL is becoming too soft can be left in the past. This is the only way football will be a sport in 15 years. Players need their health and a life after football. Bad calls will be made but it's for the long term improvement of the livelihood of players 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:36 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: In reality, it was pass interference anyway (CB was holding his right hand back, forcing him to catch with one hand).

So whether it was a penalty or not is immaterial. We were scoring that touchdown regardless.

Exactly !

The call should have been pass interference. Either way us keeping the ball was legit and the announcer going on about it like it was a major game changer was pathetic.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:59 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Damn thank you. Initial contact was to his chest, of course the pic is when his helmet slid up. Did he target Malones head/face mask No. If this was Burfict hitting another player you guys would be losing your minds. It's a good clean hit.

The rule specifically states it doesn’t matter where initial contact was and it doesn’t have to be deemed purposeful. Argue that the rule is dumb, but the call was correct
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
If Peppers gets his helmet down 2 inches its a perfect hit.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 07:46 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: [Image: DPlrn2lX0AImFbH.jpg]

Does this look clean to you?

Actually, looking close at that shot, it looks like a face mask penalty on Malone as he pulled the defender's helmet into his face mask.It also resembles a choke hold, perhaps AJ has been working with the other receivers. I'm all for it, they'll need those skills and more when they take on the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
They won't call that on a Steeler doing that to a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 01:23 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: They won't call that on a Steeler doing that to a Bengal.

You got that right! T J Watt just went helmet to helmet with Hundley, and nobody even considered reaching for a flag!
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 01:23 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: They won't call that on a Steeler doing that to a Bengal.

(11-27-2017, 01:29 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: You got that right! T J Watt just went helmet to helmet with Hundley, and nobody even considered reaching for a flag!

Watching the Steelers offensive linemen basically put a Green Bay pass rusher in a choke hold and not getting called at the end of third tonight reminded me of how they got away with the same thing against us. We're gonna have to work twice as hard just to compensate for getting messed over by the refs next week. Everyone needs to basically have their best game of the year. 

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 01:29 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: You got that right! T J Watt just went helmet to helmet with Hundley, and nobody even considered reaching for a flag!

I saw that too.  I'm not surprised though.  It's the main reason I have lost so much interest in the NFL.  It's like the WWE now.  I half expect Mr. Fuji to distract the refs while Capt. Lou Albano rushes in from the sideline and clobbers Dalton from behind with a steel chair when we play the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
They threw the flag late on it,they really didn't want to call nothing until Malone was hurt. But I say there was a foul with crown to chin ,or there was a holding the arm back. I'm just glad they called something. I don't see why their fans can cry over it. If it was Burfict he would of been ejected.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 02:26 AM)Shepdawg Wrote: I saw that too.  I'm not surprised though.  It's the main reason I have lost so much interest in the NFL.  It's like the WWE now.  I half expect Mr. Fuji to distract the refs while Capt. Lou Albano rushes in from the sideline and clobbers Dalton from behind with a steel chair when we play the Steelers.

Yeah this type of stuff is why I think it's fixed . Roster wise i dont see the steelers better then us,they are really dysfunctional too over there. Yet they just get pushed to wins .
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 11:59 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Damn thank you. Initial contact was to his chest, of course the pic is when his helmet slid up. Did he target Malones head/face mask No. If this was Burfict hitting another player you guys would be losing your minds. It's a good clean hit.

What part of this are you having problems understanding......

NFL Rules: Prohibited Contact

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him lowering the head and making forcible contact with the crown or ”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. (This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Article 7.)
Reply/Quote
It was called as it was called. You don't have to like calls and it's not a democracy where we get to vote on it..
On one hand you like watching tough football, but on the other hand there's a very fine line between clean hit and head hunting where guys lives are completely destroyed, not just for one game or season. 
If the league doesn't find the way to get a handle on it the game will get litigated out of existence. There are already too numerous lawsuits ongoing that high school football is on rocky ground..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
And, this really overshadows the spectacular one handed catch Malone made on that play......
Reply/Quote
You know..there may come a day when there are multiple deaths on the field in the league. It probably won't be in the same game, but over the course of a season and if that happens the very nature of football as we know it will change drastically if it is allowed to continue at all. 
I could sympathize with a family filing suit alleging the league promoted it and encouraged it.
Some will absolutely say it was no fault of the league and blah blah blah, but suppose your son or grandson is killed by some player intentionally or not in a routine play.
There's really no way to defend it other than to say he knew what he was getting into, but that alone doesn't get rid of culpability and who is responsible for the death(s)..
Not everyone is a fan of the game and not everyone wants to see young people being put in a position that puts their lives in jeopardy just to entertain us..
As much as the league may tell us they want to limit the chance of serious injury or death they cannot get around the very nature of the violence inherent to the game and as we know, it's voluntary and completely unnecessary to a functioning society. 
A day of reckoning will come and it very well may be decided by just 12 people seated in a jury box.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 07:59 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: The worst bit was the argument by the announcer that because Malone had taken two steps he had completed the catch. Ok, we'll take the catch and fumble out of bounds, first down at the five. Or maybe the blatant pass interference, first down at the ten.

Crazy when all three scenarios have the same outcome and the announcers are quibbling over one of them being a marginal call

This.

Could've been called three different ways. And the Browns actually got the best call available for them. Even if they missed the PI, how it wasn't also a catch and fumble is baffling.
Reply/Quote