Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hit on Malone
(11-26-2017, 07:36 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Clean hit. Bad call. I'm glad it worked out in the Bengals favor, but this is part of what makes the NFL weak.

This.  He led with his shoulder, and the helmet contact was incidental with the way Malone was coming down.  It was just as much bullshit as the call on Burfict.

As to the OP, I agree that the announcers would have been frothing at the mouth if it was 55 (although I felt Lofton was also critical of the call on Burfict as well, and was a pretty objective commentator), but the hit was not worthy of what was called.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 10:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: This.  He led with his shoulder, and the helmet contact was incidental with the way Malone was coming down.  It was just as much bullshit as the call on Burfict.

As to the OP, I agree that the announcers would have been frothing at the mouth if it was 55 (although I felt Lofton was also critical of the call on Burfict as well, and was a pretty objective commentator), but the hit was not worthy of what was called.

In this instance, incidental means a brush, not accidentally, and it doesn't matter where you hit first or what you led with.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 10:02 AM)grampahol Wrote: You know..there may come a day when there are multiple deaths on the field in the league. It probably won't be in the same game, but over the course of a season and if that happens the very nature of football as we know it will change drastically if it is allowed to continue at all. 
I could sympathize with a family filing suit alleging the league promoted it and encouraged it.
Some will absolutely say it was no fault of the league and blah blah blah, but suppose your son or grandson is killed by some player intentionally or not in a routine play.
There's really no way to defend it other than to say he knew what he was getting into, but that alone doesn't get rid of culpability and who is responsible for the death(s)..
Not everyone is a fan of the game and not everyone wants to see young people being put in a position that puts their lives in jeopardy just to entertain us..
As much as the league may tell us they want to limit the chance of serious injury or death they cannot get around the very nature of the violence inherent to the game and as we know, it's voluntary and completely unnecessary to a functioning society. 
A day of reckoning will come and it very well may be decided by just 12 people seated in a jury box.. 

What are you talking about man? Grandpa did you get into the liqour cabinet again?!
Reply/Quote
Looked clean to me, we wouldn't get that call if the game was in PITT though. Since we're playing in Cincy, we might have the refs on our side (HAHAHAH YEAH RIGHT!!).
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 10:54 AM)Sweetness Wrote: What are you talking about man? Grandpa did you get into the liqour cabinet again?!

NFL is a barbaric sport; future generations always look back at the past and say they were "barbarians", but NFL will be Rome's coliseum to those 1000 years from now.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 10:02 AM)grampahol Wrote: You know..there may come a day when there are multiple deaths on the field in the league. It probably won't be in the same game, but over the course of a season and if that happens the very nature of football as we know it will change drastically if it is allowed to continue at all. 
I could sympathize with a family filing suit alleging the league promoted it and encouraged it.
Some will absolutely say it was no fault of the league and blah blah blah, but suppose your son or grandson is killed by some player intentionally or not in a routine play.
There's really no way to defend it other than to say he knew what he was getting into, but that alone doesn't get rid of culpability and who is responsible for the death(s)..
Not everyone is a fan of the game and not everyone wants to see young people being put in a position that puts their lives in jeopardy just to entertain us..
As much as the league may tell us they want to limit the chance of serious injury or death they cannot get around the very nature of the violence inherent to the game and as we know, it's voluntary and completely unnecessary to a functioning society. 
A day of reckoning will come and it very well may be decided by just 12 people seated in a jury box.. 

Bring on Rollerball!!!! Ninja

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 10:37 AM)michaelsean Wrote: In this instance, incidental means a brush, not accidentally, and it doesn't matter where you hit first or what you led with.

I think Malone was hurt from the fall, more than the grazing of his facemask.  It is what it is, shoulda been PI, fumble out of bounds, etc.....but I don't find the hit one bit dirty.  Had he led with his helmet, yes, but he clearly put the shoulder to his torso first. Bullshit gray area rule is bullshit gray area rule.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 11:06 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think Malone was hurt from the fall, more than the grazing of his facemask.  It is what it is, shoulda been PI, fumble out of bounds, etc.....but I don't find the hit one bit dirty.  Had he led with his helmet, yes, but he clearly put the shoulder to his torso first.  Bullshit gray area rule is bullshit gray area rule.

Oh I don't think it was dirty, but I do think it was a penalty along with the PI which would have been much better for us.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 10:59 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: NFL is a barbaric sport; future generations always look back at the past and say they were "barbarians", but NFL will be Rome's coliseum to those 1000 years from now.

UFC/MMA, Boxing, and Rugby are far more barbaric then the primadonna NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 11:10 AM)Sweetness Wrote: UFC/MMA, Boxing, and Rugby are far more barbaric then the primadonna NFL. 

They will all be gone.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 11:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh I don't think it was dirty, but I do think it was a penalty along with the PI which would have been much better for us.  

Gotcha....yeah, PI woulda been nice.  I'm just not sold this was a clearcut rules violation.  I DO know this, if Peppers was wearing the piss and black, no penalty.  So, there's where I take a HUGE issue with the call.  I can't stand here and ***** when they flag 55 for piddly shit, then harp on Peppers for it.....or even like the call.  If that makes any sense.....lol. Wink

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2017, 07:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The announcers for the Browns vs Bengals game kept stating it looked like a "clean" or "good" hit on Malone on the long pass from Dalton in the 4th quarter.  The announcers would not let it go; how the refs made a  bad call.

If Burfict or Jones made that same hit on a Brown's receiver, it would have been viewed as a dirty hit.  To my eyes, the hit by Peppers was helmet to helmet.  I say this because Malone's chin turned on the hit. I know the refs called it a penalty because Malone was a defenseless receiver.  But i still think it was a good call by the refs.

looked like he tried to lead with the shoulder but what I saw was the top of his helmet on malones chin

And he left his feet to make the hit...

Todays NFL is soft. getting softer
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 11:06 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think Malone was hurt from the fall, more than the grazing of his facemask.  It is what it is, shoulda been PI, fumble out of bounds, etc.....but I don't find the hit one bit dirty.  Had he led with his helmet, yes, but he clearly put the shoulder to his torso first.  Bullshit gray area rule is bullshit gray area rule.

eh its we never get the benefit of the doubt we when our on defense so I wont fight it when we actually get a call go our way
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 11:24 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: eh its we never get the benefit of the doubt we when our on defense so I wont fight it when we actually get a call go our way

Add in the phantom penalty on the punt return, and I'm good.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 11:24 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: eh its we never get the benefit of the doubt we when our on defense so I wont fight it when we actually get a call go our way

(11-27-2017, 11:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Add in the phantom penalty on the punt return, and I'm good.

Agreed here, for sure.

Reply/Quote
You guys are killing me.

Read the rules.

Have we gotten away with some calls and had some go against us?

Absolutely.

This still doesn't matter. Your feelings don't make your observations correct.

By the way. People bitching about the still photo shot... what the hell is the trajectory past that frame?

Did his helmet just magically stop there? Didn't think so. Whatever
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 11:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: Gotcha....yeah, PI woulda been nice.  I'm just not sold this was a clearcut rules violation.  I DO know this, if Peppers was wearing the piss and black, no penalty.  So, there's where I take a HUGE issue with the call.  I can't stand here and ***** when they flag 55 for piddly shit, then harp on Peppers for it.....or even like the call.  If that makes any sense.....lol. Wink

Defenseless receiver rule, to me, is a joke!!!!  Why?

Because, if a receiver leaves his feet to catch a high pass, as soon as he touches the ball the defender is legally allowed to clobber him, providing it's not helmet to helmet, yet, that same hit would be penalized as 'defenseless receiver hit', once the catch is made before he takes his 2 steps.

Does that make any sense to anyone?????
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 04:38 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Defenseless receiver rule, to me, is a joke!!!!  Why?

Because, if a receiver leaves his feet to catch a high pass, as soon as he touches the ball the defender is legally allowed to clobber him, providing it's not helmet to helmet, yet, that same hit would be penalized as 'defenseless receiver hit', once the catch is made before he takes his 2 steps.

Does that make any sense to anyone?????

No the rule is the same through that whole time.  Can't launch yourself, can't hit to the head or neck area, can't hit anywhere with the crown of the helmet.  

Reply/Quote
If they don't make that terrible call I truly think Cleveland is 1-10. Take off the bengal glasses. If that was one of ours you would be pissed much like the hit burfict had earlier this yr that was called on us. We are not very good and I'm predicting a meltdown of epic proportions after next Monday. Hopefully it will get Marvin canned and get someone in here that can get things going in the right direction
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 11:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: Bring on Rollerball!!!! Ninja

Nope, Baseketball!!
Reply/Quote