Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(08-09-2021, 07:27 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Isn't Penei not really impressing yet with the Lions? I thought I heard that. Of course they'll both get better. A new scheme and surroundings take some adjusting to.

Heck I sort of like hearing a player is struggling early/in camp. I think that gets them more focused and working harder. If you're going to have a time where you struggle, now is the best time.

What I've seen on Sewell is that he's having a good camp overall, but he has had his struggles just like you would expect any rookie to.  Pretty similar to Chase, honestly, who has looked like a stud at times, but has had some issues with drops and separation.

Just because a guy is a top five prospect doesn't mean he is going to come in and win every single rep in training camp.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-09-2021, 08:35 PM)jason Wrote: This...

AJ Brown and DK Metcalf didn't start their rookie seasons on fire either. Look at them now.

“bUt 2ND rOUnD!!!”

Seriously though, it’s never wise to judge players too early (I was guilty of it myself with Sample but he hasn’t proved me wrong yet). It works the other way too, I was one of the people that fell for the Tate hype, and he certainly hasn’t put it all together yet either. And he’s going into year 4.

This actually reminds me a bit of some of the takes I saw about Boyd early on. I remember there was a poster that had TB as his avi, and dude literally got made fun of for it. Don’t think he’s even here anymore, but just imagine how bad some of those posts would look now if we dug them up…

(08-09-2021, 08:35 PM)jason Wrote: This...

AJ Brown and DK Metcalf didn't start their rookie seasons on fire either. Look at them now.

Not arguing and I know someone else already said those two were 2nd rd picks. But I remember AJ Brown had a good first game 3rec 100yds and DK wasn't far behind with 4rec 89 yds. Aj Brown had 1000yds 8tds and DK had 900 yds 7 tds. Both stats from they're rookie years. I think its safe to say if Chase has stats like that his rookie year no one will regret the pick.
(08-09-2021, 09:03 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Not arguing and I know someone else already said those two were 2nd rd picks. But I remember AJ Brown had a good first game 3rec 100yds and DK wasn't far behind with 4rec 89 yds. Aj Brown had 1000yds 8tds and DK had 900 yds 7 tds. Both stats from they're rookie years. I think its safe to say if Chase has stats like that his rookie year no one will regret the pick.

Oh you sweet summer child

Chase could have 1500 yds and 10 TD’s and there’s people that would still shit on that pick.

Chase certainly had a lot of "swag" on draft day. If he flops, he's gonna get a good scolding from me. Someone's gotta do it you know.

Another flop after Ross is just unacceptable.
The comments about Chase not cutting it might be the wrong conclusion. We had two good receivers last year in Boyd and Higgins. Reports are that the number 1 D is shutting down all, even the known good receivers. Maybe the D should be lauded instead of faulting Chase
(08-09-2021, 09:35 PM)Bengal80 Wrote: The comments about Chase not cutting it might be the wrong conclusion. We had two good receivers last year in Boyd and Higgins. Reports are that the number 1 D is shutting down all, even the known good receivers. Maybe the D should be lauded instead of faulting Chase

No doubt. Mellow
(08-09-2021, 05:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tee Higgins wasn’t even a starter week one last year, and look how good he ended up being as the season went on.

Was tee Higgins taken 5th overall?
(08-09-2021, 09:27 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Chase certainly had a lot of "swag" on draft day. If he flops, he's gonna get a good scolding from me. Someone's gotta do it you know.

Another flop after Ross is just unacceptable.

But Ross was a horrible pick even before the pick. Dude should’ve never been selected in the first round let alone top 10 but that’s this front office for you.
(08-09-2021, 08:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: What I've seen on Sewell is that he's having a good camp overall, but he has had his struggles just like you would expect any rookie to.  Pretty similar to Chase, honestly, who has looked like a stud at times, but has had some issues with drops and separation.

Just because a guy is a top five prospect doesn't mean he is going to come in and win every single rep in training camp.  

Every single rep is not what people are asking for but they def don’t want to hear about the repeated drops and lack of separation from someone who had this incredible vertical shuttle and 40 time and that we took top 5. U can lose a couple reps here and there but no being able to separate multiple drops can’t win the jump ball consistently that’s shit u here about ur 4th and 5th rounders not ur top 5 damn pick cmon guys.
(08-09-2021, 09:40 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Was tee Higgins taken 5th overall?

WTH does that matter? You think every high pick is consistently perfect in practice or something? You don’t think there’s been plays where Sewell has had the brakes beat off him (rhetorical question - - I know he has, reportedly by a 2nd year player in Julian Okwara).

Look, Chase is only 21 years old, and hasn’t played football in over a year. And he’s going up against 3 veteran CB’s everyday. It was highly unlikely he was going to just come in and dominate everyone he goes up against in camp. Especially early on.

Let’s see how he looks by the end of the pre-season.

(08-09-2021, 09:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: WTH does that matter? You think every high pick is consistently perfect in practice or something? You don’t think there’s been plays where Sewell has had the brakes beat off him (rhetorical question - - I know he has, reportedly by a 2nd year player in Julian Okwara).

Look, Chase is only 21 years old, and hasn’t played football in over a year. And he’s going up against 3 veteran CB’s everyday. It was highly unlikely he was going to just come in and dominate everyone he goes up against in camp. Especially early on.

Let’s see how he looks by the end of the pre-season.

Yeah, that dude has taken his user name a little too seriously lmao!
Too early to tell. I just hope he can avoid the curse of the Bengals 1st round picks getting injured. He has all the makings of an elite WR. There's a lot of great wideouts that don't break out until year 2 or 3 though. I think he'll do well this year. We'll see what happens.
(08-09-2021, 10:08 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Too early to tell. I just hope he can avoid the curse of the Bengals 1st round picks getting injured. He has all the makings of an elite WR. There's a lot of great wideouts that don't break out until year 2 or 3 though. I think he'll do well this year. We'll see what happens.

ThumbsUp

Been pretty damn crazy how our first round picks are injured every year. This is also my hope.
(08-09-2021, 10:08 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Too early to tell. I just hope he can avoid the curse of the Bengals 1st round picks getting injured. He has all the makings of an elite WR. There's a lot of great wideouts that don't break out until year 2 or 3 though. I think he'll do well this year. We'll see what happens.

Yeah, we currently have one of them…

(08-09-2021, 10:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, we currently have one of them…

Boyd? Or do you think Higgens will have a monster year?
(08-09-2021, 10:13 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Boyd? Or do you think Higgens will have a monster year?

Yeah, I meant Boyd. Tee could definitely have a huge year though. Especially if teams are doubling Chase.

(08-09-2021, 10:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, I meant Boyd. Tee could definitely have a huge year though. Especially if teams are doubling Chase.

Both look primed for a huge year watching TC. Same with the Corners who are draping them and it doesn't matter.

Just saw a great TD catch from Burrow to Boyd a minute ago. Toe tap that reminded me of Chad in the end zone.

The Corner was all over Boyd but it was just too good. This is great stuff.
Will we regret the Chase pick? NO.Just rust,,as expected.The good news is there is still plenty of time before the first regular season game.
He was not the choice I would have made, but unless he plans on robbing a liquor store or something, I'd say this can't even be a question for a couple of years.