Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(12-21-2021, 10:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One guy having success does not = our passing game has been great.

Also, people weren't pining for Chase so he could be a decoy.

And Mixon is among league leaders in rushing. What more do you want? Chase will set the Bengal rookie record for yards and TDs

JB highest rated qb via pff
(12-21-2021, 11:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: All of this may be true, but all we have are a lot of if's, and's or butt's over the last 7 weeks. The coverage is a factor, drops are a factor, some bad luck as well. I just want to see that explosiveness again.

Imagine the true potential of this team if you add even half the amount of explosive plays we saw in weeks 1-7. I think when you remove that to the extent we've seen in this half of the season, it takes us from being a Super Bowl caliber squad, to a fringe playoff team.

Well, like he said, LSU did a better job moving him around to avoid double teams. 
(12-21-2021, 11:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: All of this may be true, but all we have are a lot of if's, and's or butt's over the last 7 weeks. The coverage is a factor, drops are a factor, some bad luck as well. I just want to see that explosiveness again.

Imagine the true potential of this team if you add even half the amount of explosive plays we saw in weeks 1-7. I think when you remove that to the extent we've seen in this half of the season, it takes us from being a Super Bowl caliber squad, to a fringe playoff team.

I heard this a few weeks ago, so it may not be true anymore. It's certainly not after that Denver game... But the Bengals were still averaging the same amount of points per possession that they were weeks one through seven. I'm almost positive I heard that in the weeks after the bye. I definitely see what you're getting at though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(12-22-2021, 09:14 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: And Mixon is among league leaders in rushing. What more do you want? Chase will set the Bengal rookie record for yards and TDs

JB highest rated qb via pff

Joe isn't posting great numbers during Chase's slump. I already provided the stats for that.

PFF grade just means he's doing HIS job well. Not that he's been incredibly successful in the offense.

Chase has set records largely due to his magnificent start, which I give him credit for. I'm talking specifically about his current slump, why it's happening, and how we can get him out of it.

(12-22-2021, 09:16 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Well, like he said, LSU did a better job moving him around to avoid double teams. 

If that's what we need to do to help him out, so be it.

Doesn't seem like Zac wants to do that though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(12-22-2021, 06:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Joe isn't posting great numbers during Chase's slump. I already provided the stats for that.

PFF grade just means he's doing HIS job well. Not that he's been incredibly successful in the offense.

Chase has set records largely due to his magnificent start, which I give him credit for. I'm talking specifically about his current slump, why it's happening, and how we can get him out of it.

Indeed.

Since that game, Chase has only a high of 77 yards in a game, and only passing 50 yards one other game besides that.
In total, only 284 yards in the last 7 games.

There's a reason why we're seeing a surge in Boyd's and especially Higgins's production.
The focus has been going more to nullifying Chase after his 201 yard game against NYJ.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-22-2021, 06:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Indeed.

Since that game, Chase has only a high of 77 yards in a game, and only passing 50 yards one other game besides that.

There's a reason why we're seeing a surge in Boyd's and especially Higgins's production.
The focus has been going more to nullifying Chase after his 201 yard game against NYJ.

Right on. Tee and Boyd have stepped up, but we're not hitting many big plays.

I'm starting to get 2009 vibes from this offense with the way they've been playing, which seems crazy with the trio we have at WR.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(12-22-2021, 06:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right on. Tee and Boyd have stepped up, but we're not hitting many big plays.

I'm starting to get 2009 vibes from this offense with the way they've been playing, which seems crazy with the trio we have at WR.

If this team was more pass-oriented, I believe we'd see Burrow in the Top 5, possibly Top 3 in yards and TDs.
He's tied with Murray for 2nd in the league at 8.4 YPA.
Only Garoppolo is higher, at 8.5.
Stafford is 4th at 8.3.
No one else is 8.0+

Burrow would almost assuredly be over 4000 yards and over 30 TDs by now if that was the case.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(12-22-2021, 06:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Joe isn't posting great numbers during Chase's slump. I already provided the stats for that.

A lot of analysts praise Joe's performance against both the 49ers and Chargers which are part of Chase's slump I guess. Even though he almost went for 3 against the niners and could've gone over 100 without that ridiculous drop. So it's not like he isn't beating people. Many say he outplayed Herbert and you can find manning breakdown his whole game against the niners on YouTube or ESPN+. So he might not have outlandish numbers every week but he's playing well and going where he should based on the defense and Chase still has an impact on that. I agree he hasn't been off the charts line the first seven games but I still think he impacts the game and Zac could get a little more creative and help him out to spring a few big plays, like they did at LSU per Chase 
(12-22-2021, 06:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If this team was more pass-oriented, I believe we'd see Burrow in the Top 5, possibly Top 3 in yards and TDs.
He's tied with Murray for 2nd in the league at 8.4 YPA.
Only Garoppolo is higher, at 8.5.
Stafford is 4th at 8.3.
No one else is 8.0+

Burrow would almost assuredly be over 4000 yards and over 30 TDs by now if that was the case.

Joe's YPA over the last 7 is only 7.55 though. Still solid, but a steep drop from the first 7, when he was over 9. Passer rating of 93.0 would rank 18th. I thought we'd start to lean more into the pass as the season wore on, but I feel like we haven't because Chase has been essentially in such a slump.

(12-22-2021, 08:36 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: A lot of analysts praise Joe's performance against both the 49ers and Chargers which are part of Chase's slump I guess. Even though he almost went for 3 against the niners and could've gone over 100 without that ridiculous drop. So it's not like he isn't beating people. Many say he outplayed Herbert and you can find manning breakdown his whole game against the niners on YouTube or ESPN+. So he might not have outlandish numbers every week but he's playing well and going where he should based on the defense and Chase still has an impact on that. I agree he hasn't been off the charts line the first seven games but I still think he impacts the game and Zac could get a little more creative and help him out to spring a few big plays, like they did at LSU per Chase 

A guy can be playing well and not have a ton of success within the offense. That's where Joe has been over the last 7. The numbers bear that out. He's playing like he did last year. Which is solid, but unspectacular.

Zac can do more, to help them. I 100% agree with that.
(12-22-2021, 08:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Joe's YPA over the last 7 is only 7.55 though. Still solid, but a steep drop from the first 7, when he was over 9. Passer rating of 93.0 would rank 18th. I thought we'd start to lean more into the pass as the season wore on, but I feel like we haven't because Chase has been essentially in such a slump.

A guy can be playing well and not have a ton of success within the offense. That's where Joe has been over the last 7. The numbers bear that out. He's playing like he did last year. Which is solid, but unspectacular.

Zac can do more, to help them. I 100% agree with that.

I trust manning and orslovsky's opinion of Joe's qb Play being darn good. It's not always the big play or yards that are the spectacular part of qb play. Honestly the TD he and chase had against the niners is one of the best plays you'll see all year 
(12-22-2021, 06:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Indeed.

That was against Marlon Humphrey and the Ravens.

He's also now a starter in the probowl
(12-22-2021, 10:20 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: He's also now a starter in the probowl

Iirc he’s our first rookie Pro Bowler since AJ a decade ago.

Gotta love that answer.

(12-22-2021, 10:20 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: He's also now a starter in the probowl

Congrats to Chase!  Rock On Who Dey
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.

I can't remember where I wrote this, it was in some thread around here, but the statement was that Chase has never had to adjust in his career.

In High School, he was the best guy on the field. In college he was on a loaded team for his breakout season and then didn't return, he didn't have to change his game, he just went out and did his thing.

Now, at the highest level it isn't just about natural abilty. You have to adjust to playing against the best football minds in the world every week. New coverages, new formations, new techniques, etc. I got blasted by two members of the Chase is God brigade for saying I'd take Diggs, Hopkins, Hill, etc over Chase. The reason I'd take those guys, they've adjusted to the NFL multiple times and shown that they can thrive. How many QBs have more natural ability then Tom Brady? The answer is a lot. The difference between them and Brady however is that he is just such a damn competitor and works to adjust and change and make himself better than everyone else around him. Chase has never had to do that in his career, it's time to see if he can do it and then do it again, and again. 

I'm not saying that he can't but until he proves he can adjust to the NFL life, and teams getting tape on him and having the talent to stop him, we wait to find out.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(12-22-2021, 11:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Gotta love that answer.

I heard Joe Mixon said he doesn't plan on playing in the Pro Bowl... We all know what that insinuates.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Chase now owns every single Bengals rookie receiving record. Receptions (previously held by Collinsworth), yards (AJ), and TD’s (Curtis).

He looked superb today.

And the taunt was BS. It did allow more yards for Burrow, but yeah.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(12-26-2021, 06:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase now owns every single Bengals rookie receiving record. Receptions (previously held by Collinsworth), yards (AJ), and TD’s (Curtis).

& yet a few people insist on posting he's a bust because he didn't keep up his 3,000 yard, 50 TD pace after the first couple of games.  Hilarious