Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The League Taught Taylor and Other HiCs a Lesson Today.
(01-08-2023, 09:23 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: So, in addition to the tragedy on the field, you want to see that football game.  To do so, you want to unravel the entire playoff schedule, of every other team in the playoffs?

Yeah…I’m feeling more virtuous by the minute.

A good sign of not having a relevant argument is continued insults, and we have a textbook case here.  Please continue.

The league already "unraveled" the rules for seeding and made unprecedented change.  They have "unraveled".entire seasons for events like the pandemic, and 9-11.  They did theses things on a much larger scale.  

Extraordinary measures were going to be taken regardless due to the unexpected nature of the event.  It was just a matter of which ones the league chose, and they chose to decide outcomes in a meeting instead of through play. 

This decision will age very poorly in a short period of time.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 09:23 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: So, in addition to the tragedy on the field, you want to see that football game.  To do so, you want to unravel the entire playoff schedule, of every other team in the playoffs?

Yeah…I’m feeling more virtuous by the minute.

Nope, I just wanted the NFL to follow their own rules in regards to a canceled a game.  It doesn't get any less controversial or simple then that.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 09:20 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Couldn’t prove that by me!  Play football, don’t care if one of the players nearly died on the field, play football.  Doesn’t matter that the players were stunned and devastated.  Play football.  Doesn’t matter that both coaches pulled their teams off the field, “F” them.  Get them back out there and play football.

With the level of emotional impact this event apparently had on you, it's concerning that you would choose to continue to discuss it on a forum that specifically  exists to discuss football.

If such discussion disturbs you profoundly, perhaps it would benefit you to step away until you have a little more time to process the event.  

You will likely not be able to watch a football game for awhile, so I can't imagine discussing football would be beneficial to you.

I hope you can process this in time.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 07:22 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: So you are saying a room full of 5th graders have more integrity and intelligence than the NFL?  Ya, that appears to be the case.

That coin flip crap with only the Ravens and Bengals is a dead giveaway.  That is so stupid and out there it is for sure on purpose.

I don't get why the coin flip is so biased. People are acting like it's a given we beat Buffalo.

If we lose to Buffalo and the Ravens beat us, then Balt wins the division.

The simple thing is: Beat Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
Nobody should complain about the "unfairness", because a man's life expired on the field but fortunately was revived on the field. If you feel the fallout was unfair thereafter, then the game should have resumed after a 30 minute delay. If players or the bills refused to play, then the league should have given a W to the Bengals. Since Taylor took the lead and agreed to suspend the game, which was unprecedented due to the circumstances, it appears it is coming back to haunt the decision. Apparently the (NFL) rules already existed for "emergency" situations like the one that transpired, but the NFL decided to forgo them and instead create a committe where the bengals org was overruled/outvoted, which they were participant in. Even the Bills owner alledgely voted unfavorably vs the bengals org. It is what it is now, easier to analyze everything in hindsight.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:16 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Nobody should complain about the "unfairness", because a man's life expired on the field but fortunately was revived on the field.  If you feel the fallout was unfair thereafter, then the game should have resumed after a 30 minute delay. If players or the bills refused to play, then the league should have given a W to the Bengals. Since Taylor took the lead and agreed to suspend the game, which was unprecedented due to the circumstances, it appears it is coming back to haunt the decision. Apparently the (NFL) rules already existed for "emergency" situations like the one that transpired, but the NFL decided to forgo them and instead create a committe where the bengals org was overruled/outvoted, which they were participant in. Even the Bills owner alledgely voted unfavorably vs the bengals org. It is what it is now, easier to analyze everything in hindsight.

But, had the Bills won...which could have happened...and then the Ravens won next week, the Ravens win the division.

I see the coin flip as fair. We need to just beat the Ravens.

Where the mess was is the league should have immilediately stepped in and been like Play the game. Or moved it. Or cancelled it and gave the outcome.

The league did nothing for days.
Reply/Quote
This may have been mentioned or I misheard it on the radio, but they said 25 teams voted to pass the new updated rules, with the chiefs not voting
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:16 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Nobody should complain about the "unfairness", because a man's life expired on the field but fortunately was revived on the field.  If you feel the fallout was unfair thereafter, then the game should have resumed after a 30 minute delay. If players or the bills refused to play, then the league should have given a W to the Bengals. Since Taylor took the lead and agreed to suspend the game, which was unprecedented due to the circumstances, it appears it is coming back to haunt the decision. Apparently the (NFL) rules already existed for "emergency" situations like the one that transpired, but the NFL decided to forgo them and instead create a committe where the bengals org was overruled/outvoted, which they were participant in. Even the Bills owner alledgely voted unfavorably vs the bengals org. It is what it is now, easier to analyze everything in hindsight.

Even knowing we were gonna get shafted, I would still want Zac to change nothing when it comes to the way our team acted.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Even knowing we were gonna get shafted, I would still want Zac to change nothing when it comes to the way our team acted.

Absolutely acted the exact way they should have. Now it's time to go scorched earth on these opposing teams. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 10:44 AM)samhain Wrote: With the level of emotional impact this event apparently had on you, it's concerning that you would choose to continue to discuss it on a forum that specifically  exists to discuss football.

If such discussion disturbs you profoundly, perhaps it would benefit you to step away until you have a little more time to process the event.  

You will likely not be able to watch a football game for awhile, so I can't imagine discussing football would be beneficial to you.

I hope you can process this in time.

Simply, it’s you who is disturbing. Me personally? I love football, high school, NCAA, NFL….I love it all. I watched every game yesterday, and am getting ready to head to Paycor in about 5 mins.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't get why the coin flip is so biased. People are acting like it's a given we beat Buffalo.

If we lose to Buffalo and the Ravens beat us, then Balt wins the division.

The simple thing is: Beat Baltimore.

They changed an explicit rule

Made much worse if Zack accommodated Bills thinking the game would be played on Tuesday.

GODell follows the rules when it suits NF L perceived financial interests and ignores them when ignoring suits their financial interest.

If ravens beat us and win coin flip they should get the first place schedule.

How can any “fair” enforcement of flip rule not also award the schedule by same coin flip?

There has not been and never wil be any winner of a division who is forced to play a road game in first round.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:35 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Simply, it’s you who is disturbing.  Me personally?  I love football, high school, NCAA, NFL….I love it all.  I watched every game yesterday, and am getting ready to head to Paycor in about 5 mins.

Right, you don't mid the cheating by the NFL.  You are entitled to not care.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 09:17 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: OMG!  It’s come to this.  Comparing fallen police and firemen, who work tirelessly to protect the public, as that’s their job.  They can’t ignore a house on fire.  They can’t ignore someone being shot at.  They have to go back to work.  

Honoring a football player who nearly lost his life, on the field, is not life or death.  

We have officially crossed over into crazy town!

Respect your opinion but my point was more about witnessing something traumatic and those young hockey player kids. That kid that was rushed off the ice by the EMT's was showing no signs of life. Not saying he was dead or dying. But no one knew. He could have been and that's all the crowd and the young players were thinking about. Yet the game eventually continued.

Let me ask you this. Or put it out there for anyone for that matter because I don't think it's been brought up or mentioned and if it has and I missed it I apologize for bringing it up again. What if what happened the other night occurred two or three weeks later in a playoff game? I'm guessing the game would have had to continue. Or at worst, played the following night on a Monday considering a playoff game would have been on Sunday. But the NFL would have made the decision to play it one way or another. But then the question is how can they do it after what the players saw and the player still in critical condition?

To me the choice should be the same for both the other night or if it was a playoff game and yet I don't think it would have. That's just my opinion. If you would have gotten the game in two weeks from now then it should have been played this week because the emotions of the players would have been the same in both instances. 

Now we have rule changes, coin flips and neutral fields when there were rules already in place.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:35 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Simply, it’s you who is disturbing.  Me personally?  I love football, high school, NCAA, NFL….I love it all.  I watched every game yesterday, and am getting ready to head to Paycor in about 5 mins.

So you're good with watching a game after what happened last Monday yet you think other posters are somehow reprehensible for wanting to see a game after what happened last Monday. Bit of a head-scratcher, there.

You don't find me disturbing.  You just dislike having the inconsistencies in your arguments pointed out.  Your response is to pretend to be outraged.

Very common approach these days.

The next post you make with any substance or logic will be your first in this thread.

Feel free to continue sharing your very interesting moral gymnastics.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:27 PM)sloSTI Wrote: This may have been mentioned or I misheard it on the radio, but they said 25 teams voted to pass the new updated rules, with the chiefs not voting

The Bengals have been the contrarian vote in scenarios where the league wants to make changes since the late 80's.  Sometimes the Bills and Raiders joined them.  IMO, Katie Blackburn had no shot at pleading here case against the in-season rule change.

If Jerry Jones, Clark Hunt, or one of the Rooneys plead the same case, it's likely that the changes would not have passed.  The Brown family holds little sway.  Some of the owners probably take any chance they can get to stick it to them.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 08:00 PM)samhain Wrote: The Bengals have been the contrarian vote in scenarios where the league wants to make changes since the late 80's.  Sometimes the Bills and Raiders joined them.  IMO, Katie Blackburn had no shot at pleading here case against the in-season rule change.

If Jerry Jones, Clark Hunt, or one of the Rooneys plead the same case, it's likely that the changes would not have passed.  The Brown family holds little sway.  Some of the owners probably take any chance they can get to stick it to them.

If those numbers are right, I'm wondering who else voted no or didn't vote
Reply/Quote
Love watching football. Paycor was electric yesterday. No one was potentially dying on the field. So yes, I enjoyed the game. Looking at the NFL recaps on TV when I got home after the game, it looks like all the teams were in lock step with how the Bengals and Bills handled things. While it didn’t happen on their fields, I got the distinct impression that every one of the other teams would have handled this situation the same was as the Bengals and Bills did. Everyone was wearing a DAMAR jersey.

And, in this league, you win, no matter where you win, you advance. Whining about coin tosses, crying about what might have/could have/maybe have happened is all negated when you win. Now all the whining just sounds childish. Just Win and none of it matters. Play the game, wherever/whenever. As Joe Burrow said…”I’ll play in a snowy field in the middle of nowhere”. (Or something to that effect).

Happy Damar is making a recovery. Happy we all (OK, most of us) supported him instead of whining about a game that wasn’t played, or a possible coin toss, or this or that.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 02:45 PM)firedog Wrote: Respect your opinion but my point was more about witnessing something traumatic and those young hockey player kids. That kid that was rushed off the ice by the EMT's was showing no signs of life. Not saying he was dead or dying. But no one knew. He could have been and that's all the crowd and the young players were thinking about. Yet the game eventually continued.

Let me ask you this. Or put it out there for anyone for that matter because I don't think it's been brought up or mentioned and if it has and I missed it I apologize for bringing it up again. What if what happened the other night occurred two or three weeks later in a playoff game? I'm guessing the game would have had to continue. Or at worst, played the following night on a Monday considering a playoff game would have been on Sunday. But the NFL would have made the decision to play it one way or another. But then the question is how can they do it after what the players saw and the player still in critical condition?

To me the choice should be the same for both the other night or if it was a playoff game and yet I don't think it would have. That's just my opinion. If you would have gotten the game in two weeks from now then it should have been played this week because the emotions of the players would have been the same in both instances. 

Now we have rule changes, coin flips and neutral fields when there were rules already in place.

I get what you’re saying. If it had happened during the playoffs, where it’s one and done, I think it would have had to be rescheduled. But, now you’re talking only about the teams in the playoffs, not regular season games. And, the cancellation of the Bengals/Bills game DID not affect if either team was in the playoffs. They already were. They were in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of their game. As it turns out, even the Bengals seeding stayed the same.

So, this is all personal wants. But, if it would have happened during the playoffs, obviously the game would have had to be replayed. I would imagine they would have pushed the playoff games back a week.

Continuing to play the game after that young man came close to death, on the field would have…should have incensed most fans. Clearly the players did not want to continue the game, and would have done so ONLY if forced to. And, aside from a few outliers, the fans didn’t want to see that game played, either. If forced to do so, It would have shown that what little credibility the NFL has, would have been bankrupted by showing they don’t care about their players by putting profits ahead of the players. They do enough of that now.

I still say if it had happened to someone like Jessie Bates, I would have expected the same thing from the NFL to cancel the game.
Reply/Quote
On a separate note, was watching the highlights of the Bengals when I got home from the game last night. Saw some sidelines shots of Harbaguh yelling at fans? If I could read lips, he was telling the to “F” off? What was that all about?
Reply/Quote