Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Left Is Cancelling Dr Seuss
(03-03-2021, 03:19 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Isn't the Republican platform right now based on cancel culture?

Cancel taxes
Cancel regulations
Cancel anything the dems propose
Cancel immigration
Cancel voting
Cancel initiatives to help the environment
Cancel attempts to make health care affordable for all
Cancel mask mandates
I think the OP is just offended.  Lost some great bathroom reading material.  I guess Biden is to blame for everything.  Pretty impressive feat after barely 2 months in office.  People in denial are cute.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 10:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: This is getting ridiculous.
Something is getting ridiculous alright.  Apparently some people have nothing better to do than watch FOX News.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 03:19 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Isn't the Republican platform right now based on cancel culture?

Cancel taxes
Cancel regulations
Cancel anything the dems propose
Cancel immigration
Cancel voting
Cancel initiatives to help the environment
Cancel attempts to make health care affordable for all
Cancel mask mandates

Cancel safety at the Capitol Building...
Reply/Quote
Good job laying it out explaining the true cancel culture to him but he'll only accept what he wants to believe.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 12:35 AM)Benton Wrote: Where? 
Where was the outcry?
Where were leftists saying "Do not try?"

Where?
Where was the boycott?
Was it under the tree? Under a tater tot?

Maybe there wasn't a crusade.
Maybe someone wants to get paid.
Maybe the books are keeping up with time.
Maybe they took the predisposition for fearmongering from a political entity which can't help itself as a sign.

Mellow

LMAO Hilarious LMAO Hilarious
Reply/Quote
This is getting ridiculous?  52 years ago people were trying to get Sesame Street pulled for glorifying a multi cultural neighborhood.  Before that people were trying to cancel Elvis and The Beatles.  Before that Amos and Andy and Al Jolson and blackface fell out of favor. 

The notion that people getting offended is a new concept is just laughable.  Stuff is always being labeled as dangerous and offensive.  This ain't new. 

Oh and I forgot, the guy who played Ronald McDonald in the 70s and Johnny Mathis were both cancelled in the 70s because they were gay.  But hey let's pretend this is some new liberal conspiracy and make it the focus of politics now. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 11:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Your link just basically agreed with what I posted about the left cancelling Dr Seuss, which even you agreed with, you're just wording it different.

How was that "not even close"?  The left is cancelling books by Dr Seuss because they've become the culture that wakes up with the goal to find things to be offended by.

It's not "the left".  He was not "cancelled".  And I explained the reasons beyond "destroying" our country or what made it great.

I didn't agree with anything you posted except the bare facts of the situation which you twisted into an attack on "the left"...again.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Why do conservatives hate the free market?

A toy company drops "Mr." from the brand name (but keeps it for the character) and they're mad.

A publishers decides to not publish 6 of their own books and they're mad.

A billion dollar company fires an employee and they're mad.

They now want an official investigation into "cancel culture". What are they going to do, force the companies to print books that the company has decided to stop printing?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 10:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: This is getting ridiculous.

Six Dr Seuss books won't be published for "racist images."

Rolleyes

Democrats continue to destroy pieces of our culture, and pieces of a lot of our childhoods, over stupid things just so they can play the oppressed card.

Suppose I want to protest this latest leftist outrage--

Can you give me some names and addresses so I could protest/picket,

or at least send a letter?
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 09:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: This is getting ridiculous?  52 years ago people were trying to get Sesame Street pulled for glorifying a multi cultural neighborhood.  Before that people were trying to cancel Elvis and The Beatles.  Before that Amos and Andy and Al Jolson and blackface fell out of favor. 

The notion that people getting offended is a new concept is just laughable.  Stuff is always being labeled as dangerous and offensive.  This ain't new. 

Oh and I forgot, the guy who played Ronald McDonald in the 70s and Johnny Mathis were both cancelled in the 70s because they were gay.  But hey let's pretend this is some new liberal conspiracy and make it the focus of politics now. 

Remember when conservatives wanted to cancel rap music and video games?

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 09:47 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Remember when conservatives wanted to cancel rap music and video games?

Or anything "urban".

For the "children"...of course.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 09:47 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Remember when conservatives wanted to cancel rap music and video games?

Yea I recall beavis and butthead and mortal kombat being the end of the world.  I remember the satanic panic of the 80s and the push to cancel dungeons and dragons and magic the gathering.   

Harry Potter faced backlash, I know people who had parents who smashed their KISS records, I recall feeling annoyed when Pizza Hut took anchovies off the menu, and blah blah blah.  

Saying cancel culture is leftist and new is like telling people tic tac toe is a brand new game.  

Can you imagine the GOP in the early 90s spending time at their rallies defending Sinead O'Connor from the backlash she faced?   I could go on...but this stuff is as new as dinosaur shit. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 11:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Anything written more than a few decades ago (or less) runs the risk of being "problematic" by today's standards.  The works discussed certainly display stereotypical images, but, as always, I think intent is important.  I don't think one can infer that Dr. Seuss was trying to offend.  

I can see where people would be bothered by this though, Dr. Seuss was a huge part of my childhood and having his works labeled in this manner isn't exactly pleasant.

I'd argue that Seuss was very openly discriminatory against Asians. He hated the Japanese. Mulberry Street was written in 1937, so within that context I'd say his views played a role in using such a caricature. 

But this would be case by case, as he made an effort in his later years to address racism. 

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 09:54 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yea I recall beavis and butthead and mortal kombat being the end of the world.  I remember the satanic panic of the 80s and the push to cancel dungeons and dragons and magic the gathering.   

Harry Potter faced backlash, I know people who had parents who smashed their KISS records, I recall feeling annoyed when Pizza Hut took anchovies off the menu, and blah blah blah.  

Saying cancel culture is leftist and new is like telling people tic tac toe is a brand new game.  

Can you imagine the GOP in the early 90s spending time at their rallies defending Sinead O'Connor from the backlash she faced?   I could go on...but this stuff is as new as dinosaur shit. 

It's odd that after such a long history of canceling things, they've changed their minds once racism and antisemitism was being "canceled". 

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 09:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Or anything "urban".

For the "children"...of course.

Oh man, "urban", for sure.

I was sitting in a grad class with my sister (it was a cohort through the school system we both work in). This girl who works at the elementary school my sister and I went to began to describe it as having a more "urban" population (Black students make up about 70% of the population). My sister and I just turned to each other and gave the same "Really?" look. Our town is smack dab in the middle of Baltimore and DC, we are very much the suburbs. Bless her heart, I honestly believe she didn't realize what she was doing by using that coded word. 

Reply/Quote
Once Ed Sullivan only televised Elvis from the waist up what made America great died. We've been living in a soft cancel culture our entire lives.

We are a joke of a country. Sorry to say.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 11:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: Not even close.

National Reading Month kicked off on his birthday so he got the bilk of the attention.  This year Biden suggested OTHER authors to shake things up.  Meanwhile the organization responsible for Seuss' books announced THEY were not reprinting six of them due to racial imagery.

The "left" didn't cancel anything.  People looked and realized there was stuff in there that we can probably all live without seeing anymore.

But people sure did get offended by it.  But I guess they needed *something* after fighting about a plastic potato. Smirk

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2021/03/01/read-across-america-day-dr-seuss-diversity-racism/6878454002/

I don't need some woke, offended by everything, soft, weak pieces of s@!t deciding what I can and cannot live without seeing.  We are such a bunch of P@#$%'s.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2021, 11:38 PM)Benton Wrote: The left, in this instance, is a business created by Seuss's family to manage the works. That's not the left, Brad. That's a business.

I would be very curious to see how those people that run that business voted.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 10:07 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I don't need some woke, offended by everything, soft, weak pieces of s@!t deciding what I can and cannot live without seeing.  We are such a bunch of P@#$%'s.

Always have been if that is your metric.  Stuff has been being cancelled your whole life.  Why wake up and be outraged now?
Reply/Quote
I'd figure the right wouldn't be all that keen on Geisel, anyway, since he would've mocked them today just as he did during his time.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote