Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Next Coach Should Be...
Remember, I said "should" not "will" and in this town, there is an appreciable difference between those two terms. Like, the Bengals "should" move on from Marvin. The Bengals "should" be playing a much more inspired game after the continuous NFL rectal exam. The Bengals "should" change their game because what they are doing isn't working worth a damn.

But, I would offer that the next Bengals coach should be....Jim Harbaugh.

Hear me out. I know he is killing it in Michigan, both financially and on the field, but I can't imagine he likes the fact that his brother has a Super Bowl ring and he does not. Recruiting is also an exhausting process and getting top players to Northern climates is a real challenge.

Here is what it would take: Marvin is offered a co-GM position to stay with the Bengals, wiping out the last year of his contract but extending the term. I don't expect him to accept it.

Jim Harbaugh is making $7 million per year at Michigan. It was just increased from $5 million. The Bengals would have to offer him $8 million per year. That is the top of the NFL coaches salaries (Peyton is #1, several are near that...if you want to win, you have to pay for a top coach). Marvin was making $4.5 million per year. I know the Bengals were paying over $8 million to have Hue, Gruden, and Marvin all on the same team at one point, and they were paying Zimmer quite a bit to be here at the same time as Marvin as well.

Hiring Harbaugh would do several things:

1.) Demonstrate a commitment to winning and not just managing costs (I'm sure that is bound to be cut and pasted and replied to by many with profanity...again "should", not necessarily "will")

2.) Get a toughness on your team. I have been amazed at what Harbaugh has done in the past with lesser rosters.

3.) Bring more money to the NFL from Cincinnati. Say what you will about Harbaugh, but he attracts a crowd and he has personality. More eyes watching Cincinnati equals more dollars. Hell, I would even consider getting something stupid like a jersey that said "Harbaugh" with number 1.

4.) (This one is more for us)- Not put up with BS officiating. Think this guy would care if he was fined for being outspoken? Hell, no. And he wouldn't put up with the crap Marvin swallows on a weekly basis. Marv is afraid of upsetting the league. Harbaugh is afraid of nothing except losing.

Everyone will crap on this idea, but the Bengals already missed out on the coaches they SHOULD have hired. (Hue and Zimmer). I think Harbaugh would want to get back in the NFL. And to be in the same division as his brother? The NFL would love it. I want to see it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hate the Harbaughs..... but I'd take him simply to watch him get in the official's ears once in a while as the continue to screw us....
Reply/Quote
Nope, the guy stays nowhere more than 4 years because he is a d bag. Pro players cant stand him, and honestly he just coached a team that was pre built when he got there in SF. The record didn't show it, but the talent on that defense that carried him was all drafted before he got there and the guys he drafted and "developed" are basically whats been losing for them the last couple years.
Reply/Quote
There's a high school coach in town whose supposed to be pretty good. Couldn't be much worse than Giggles.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 09:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: Nope, the guy stays nowhere more than 4 years because he is a d bag. Pro players cant stand him, and honestly he just coached a team that was pre built when he got there in SF. The record didn't show it, but the talent on that defense that carried him was all drafted before he got there and the guys he drafted and "developed" are basically whats been losing for them the last couple years.

What a bunch of crap.  The team had talent but didn't win before he got there and was one of the worst in the league after he left.  And he wasn't the GM that did the drafting, which was a part of his conflict there.  
Reply/Quote
Brown would never bite.

I don't think he would leave his alma mater but would love to see Urban Meyer have a shot. Best coach in college football, ESPECIALLY at getting his team ready for big games!
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 09:46 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Brown would never bite.

The more important question:  Would Katie and Troy?  They have a lot more to do with it now than just Mike.  
Reply/Quote
Seeing as how he makes more at UM then Marv makes here I don't see it. It would be a great hire though.
Reply/Quote
Vance Joseph, entice Zimmer with an amazing offer to lure him away from Minnesota, or Bill Cowher
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: What a bunch of crap.  The team had talent but didn't win before he got there and was one of the worst in the league after he left.  And he wasn't the GM that did the drafting, which was a part of his conflict there.  

Talent takes time to mature. It is a story as old as time in the NFL. Look at a bunch of coaches who come in have instant success then it tanks. Sorry, but most people have said now that harbaugh was right place right time, and in the end he lost his team as they turned on him and would rather retire than play for him. Also funny to note that Vic Fangio came in as D coordinator with Harbaugh and when he left their defense that carried their team went to crap.
Reply/Quote
If Marvin gets canned the next coach will be Vance Joseph. Go ahead and book it.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
ANYONE!!!
I'd take a drunk Steve Sarkisian over Marvin.
Reply/Quote
I'd take the booger eater over Marvin any day. Jim had a good thing going in San Fran, but I worry that he'd butt heads with MB, like he did with the Niners front office.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan to come to Cincinatti. By all accounts he didn't enjoy coaching pro players, and Michigan is his dream job.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 10:59 AM)Brimey Wrote: Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan to come to Cincinatti. By all accounts he didn't enjoy coaching pro players, and Michigan is his dream job.

As I said he only stays anywhere 4 years or so before leaving. If he leaves it will be for Indy and Andrew Luck.
Reply/Quote
Jon Gruden...

Please get him off Monday night football and let MNF die a slow horrible death .. It just isn't the same without Mike Tirico
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 09:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: Nope, the guy stays nowhere more than 4 years because he is a d bag. Pro players cant stand him, and honestly he just coached a team that was pre built when he got there in SF. The record didn't show it, but the talent on that defense that carried him was all drafted before he got there and the guys he drafted and "developed" are basically whats been losing for them the last couple years.

LOL
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 09:46 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Brown would never bite.

I don't think he would leave his alma mater but would love to see Urban Meyer have a shot. Best coach in college football, ESPECIALLY at getting his team ready for big games!
Urban Meyer is the best football coach period.

He'd be my pick.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Send the next 3 full drafts to Minny for Zimmer (which they'll refuse because they aren't the fool MB is and know when they have a good coach not to let him go).

Anyone else it's more likely we are back to the 90's as it is we are a consistent playoff team again. I think the mistake to let Zimmer go is significant to this Franchise history. As in Walsh part 2.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 11:10 AM)JumboTron Wrote: LOL

Look up Vic Fangio and the timing of him and the rise and fall of the 49'ers defense. Vic Fangio is the guy we should want, not Jim Harbaugh.
Reply/Quote