Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Next Coach Should Be...
(10-11-2016, 11:35 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Jon Gruden would be a solid choice. If we threw enough money at him he might bite. If skins tank we may get his brother back for offensive coordinator.

YIKES!!!
Reply/Quote
We're going to have Marvin another year (or longer).

But if we're just getting it out of our respective systems, for coaches I'd like to see... Kyle Shanahan. He's done well with some lackluster offenses, he's got some creativity and — most importantly — he's not afraid to stand up to dumb decisions by management (i.e., walking from the Browns when they said he had to start Drunken Dwarf). He's not doing too shabby with Atlanta's offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 01:22 PM)3wt Wrote: Yeah my man Sam does not get near the credit he deserves for one of the most creative and brilliant careers - that was unnecessarily cut short in the middle of fine run hear.   A shame he did not get to finish things off in Tampa, but Tony did a good job.   It was SB ready when Gruden arrived IMO.

Agreed my good man.  He got cut short here, they gave Marv Leavy (the man who bitched about his offense, no less) credit for his no huddle offense, and then he gets no recognition for drafting Brooks, Lynch, and Sapp in Tampa.  I just always gotta throw that in there in discussions on Tampa. LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 01:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: IMO, the most important part of hiring a new head coach is to not have any  other coaches or assistants on staff. The new guy MUST hire all his own staff.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

No! No! You MUST keep Piano Man, or else!  

Who is gonna play Son of Paul's dinner parties if they fire HIM? LMAO

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: What a bunch of crap.  The team had talent but didn't win before he got there and was one of the worst in the league after he left.  And he wasn't the GM that did the drafting, which was a part of his conflict there.  

True, but his act got very old at the end.  I don't think he's cut out for a long-term career with one team.

I'm torn on who I would hire as the next guy.  I'm not usually a fan of college coaches, but I would love to see Mark  D'antonio leave Michigan State and come here.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 01:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed my good man.  He got cut short here, they gave Marv Leavy (the man who bitched about his offense, no less) credit for his no huddle offense, and then he gets no recognition for drafting Brooks, Lynch, and Sapp in Tampa.  I just always gotta throw that in there in discussions on Tampa. LOL

Sam Wyche was the freakin' man.  An absolute boss.  Dude didn't take sh*t from anyone and had enough fire to fill a couple of Riverfront Stadiums.  The complete antithesis of Marv.

Always got a kick out of this article.  Talks about the epic Wyche/Jerry Glanville rivalry.  One that resulted in the Bengals dropping 60+ points on Glanville's squad, along with going for two and going for an onsides kick at one point during that game.    Enjoy:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/remember-when-the-heated-rivalry-of-jerry-glanville-and-sam-wyche/
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 02:00 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Sam Wyche was the freakin' man.  An absolute boss.  Dude didn't take sh*t from anyone and had enough fire to fill a couple of Riverfront Stadiums.  The complete antithesis of Marv.

Always got a kick out of this article.  Talks about the epic Wyche/Jerry Glanville rivalry.  One that resulted in the Bengals dropping 60+ points on Glanville's squad, along with going for two and going for an onsides kick at one point during that game.    Enjoy:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/remember-when-the-heated-rivalry-of-jerry-glanville-and-sam-wyche/

Yep, remember that game, and have seen the article.  Sam was a jewel.....thanks for sharing.

Reply/Quote
I'm truly convinced that you get Bill Belichick and his entire roster in Bengals gear and they would lose. There is something about having Cincinnati on jersey that makes people crap the bed when it counts. Bearcats, Reds, Bengals, and even FC Cincinnati.

Can someone get Bo Jackson in town and have a public exorcising of these demons.

(Dang I hate sounding like a pessimistic old fart)
Reply/Quote
Ken Bone! He could have a orange sweater though so he looks like "Charlie Browns Giant Pumpkin".
Reply/Quote
Some of the names being tossed around this thread are hilarious.

Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Jon Gruden? LMAO

Why would any of those guys want to leave what they are doing now, take less money, AND coach in an organization that is notorious for handcuffing their coaching staff?

Some of you people are delusional. Honestly, with the money being thrown around in college football, a head coaching gig at a good school there is a better option than a head coaching gig in the NFL.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 02:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Some of the names being tossed around this thread are hilarious.

Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Jon Gruden? LMAO

Why would any of those guys want to leave what they are doing now, take less money, AND coach in an organization that is notorious for handcuffing their coaching staff?

Some of you people are delusional. Honestly, with the money being thrown around in college football, a head coaching gig at a good school there is a better option than a head coaching gig in the NFL.

I've always been a believer of this notion as well.  I know high profile HC jobs in college bring with them pressure and scrutiny, yet I think it still provides better job security than the NFL, as well as the chance to actually build a true legacy to go along with virtually complete and total roster control.  Combine that the the money... college football is the way to go if you're a top level HC and had to choose between the two in my opinion.

As far as me wanting Gruden...yeah I know it's delusional, but I am what I am.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 10:07 AM)Au165 Wrote: Talent takes time to mature. It is a story as old as time in the NFL. Look at a bunch of coaches who come in have instant success then it tanks. Sorry, but most people have said now that harbaugh was right place right time, and in the end he lost his team as they turned on him and would rather retire than play for him. Also funny to note that Vic Fangio came in as D coordinator with Harbaugh and when he left their defense that carried their team went to crap.

Their defense is solid.  It is their offense that turned to crap.  Takes time to mature then turn to crap?  I don't think so...how do you explain what he did at San Diego?  Stanford?  Michigan?  More lucky timing of players maturing at the right time?  What a load of crap.  You don't have to like him, but the guy can coach circles around anyone on this team.  
Reply/Quote
I think a logical choice would be Vance Joseph, marvin knows him, Mike brown knows him. He's up and coning. Players respect him like they do hue jackson. If not him maybe Jackson if he's fired from Cleveland. Other then that I would look at urban meyer or Tony dungy. Obviously dingy knows how to build a team and he seems to like Cincinnati for whatever reason, he don't talk shit about us .if all fails go get giants old coach.

What makes this team attractive, nobodys won a Superbowl here, can you imagine the love you'd get if you did what nobody could do? Hell win a playoff game and you'd be a football god here.

Edit- I add Dave lapham to that list but he said he wouldn't want to do it,too much time and dedication. Even though he's a superfan of this team. You think he wouldn't bring passion?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 01:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: True, but his act got very old at the end.  I don't think he's cut out for a long-term career with one team.

I'm torn on who I would hire as the next guy.  I'm not usually a fan of college coaches, but I would love to see Mark  D'antonio leave Michigan State and come here.

Think about the situation in SF when he left.  Was it really his act?  Or was it a GM that he couldn't come to terms with?  He appears to have been in the right because that team, three years removed from the Super Bowl, is a dumpster fire. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 02:00 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Sam Wyche was the freakin' man.  An absolute boss.  Dude didn't take sh*t from anyone and had enough fire to fill a couple of Riverfront Stadiums.  The complete antithesis of Marv.

I want a man that would do that shit to Mike "Omar Epps" Tomlin, the biggest wanna be gangsta on the planet.  
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 01:10 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Meh.....could Meyer adapt to the pro game?  The read option is not an option (pun intended) for this roster.
He absolutely could adapt. I felt the same way before I ever imagined he'd be the head coach at Ohio State. He's great at the college level, and seems content with where he is, but if he wins another coupla' titles at OSU?... And the Bengals (yeah right) or some other team came knockin'? ... With a boatload of money?... I bet he takes them up.

His team's are always prepared. He has an eye for talent. He's hired great assistant coaches. He's a no bullshit coach.... Like a softer around the edges Mike Zimmer if you will. He'd be a great pee wee coach. He'd be a great NFL coach. He is a great coach.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Possible candidates if I were GM- Mark Dantonio  from Michigan state would be nice and Zimmer like, Josh McDaniel's is a young and brilliant mind and would fit perfect with Dalton, Eric Magini would be a hell of coach if given a proper chance, Nick Sabin would be a wet dream for this franchise, Matt Partrica is another guy I would like, Brian Kelly from Notredame could be a nice fit, and Todd Haley would be a nice get and hurt the Steelers at the same time. Also would be willing to trade for either Hue or Zimmer ( Hue would be my first choice).

The three final choices
1.) Josh McDaniel's- positives- I think he's the next great coach in the NFL and would fit perfectly here. His offensive philosophy fits perfect with Dalton. This offense has all the pieces to be great outside of couple of spots and same could be said for the defense so I think he would take the job if given the chance. Negatives- his last go around as head coach ended terribly and the Bill Belicheck coaching tree has been underwhelming to say the least outside of new England.(oddly enough though his brown staff has been awesome)

2.) Brian Kelly- positives-coached at uc so he is familiar with the city, good offensive mind, and he is an our face type of coach which is what this team might need. Negatives- I think he is a college coach and his act will wear thin with the players.

3.)Todd Haley- positives-successful offensive coordinator who has a system perfect for Andy Dalton to thrive in. Negatives- not sure how the team would respond to an enemy coach.

Final choice
Josh McDaniel's- He's young and will be very qb friendly with Dalton at the helm.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Sam was the man....My all time favorite coach.
Reply/Quote
Matt Patricia or Josh McDaniels.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 10:58 PM)jason Wrote: He absolutely could adapt. I felt the same way before I ever imagined he'd be the head coach at Ohio State. He's great at the college level, and seems content with where he is, but if he wins another coupla' titles at OSU?... And the Bengals (yeah right) or some other team came knockin'? ... With a boatload of money?... I bet he takes them up.

His team's are always prepared. He has an eye for talent. He's hired great assistant coaches. He's a no bullshit coach.... Like a softer around the edges Mike Zimmer if you will. He'd be a great pee wee coach. He'd be a great NFL coach. He is a great coach.

Maybe so.....but he would need to devise an entirely new offensive philosophy. Chip Kelly looked like a genius at Oregon too.  The jury is still out on that one.

Reply/Quote