Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Next Great Villains
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/are-the-bengals-the-nfls-next-great-villains-190346267.html
Quote:Five years from now, when the Cincinnati Bengals have won three Super Bowls and the entire NFL world outside Cincinnati loathes everything in orange and black, we can pinpoint the moment when everything changed, when the Bengals went from lovable scamps to world-beating terrors:

Sorry, Not sorry

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/are-the-bengals-the-nfls-next-great-villains-190346267.html

Sorry, Not sorry

I like it, but I don't understand why Cincy would be labeled as villains.
Shouldn't people be rooting for the little guy, the small market teams?
Why would people root so hard for cities like Cleveland and Buffalo but not like Cincinnati?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I like it, but I don't understand why Cincy would be labeled as villains.
Why would people root so hard for cities like Cleveland and Buffalo but not like Cincinnati?

I was trying to wrap my head around that, too.  I guess it comes down to hating the team that always beats your team.  I think if the Bengals win 3 of the next 5 SBs they'll become a lot more popular, really.

Honestly, I finally get on board with the notion that we've changed from the nationally loathed me-first diva, trade-demanding, and Burfict-style players of the Marvin era to being this unselfish team of humble and quietly confident former team captains led by a hometown hero and now we're apparently going to become loudmouthed arrogant jerks that everyone jealously hates? 

Fair enough, if it means we win 3+ SBs.
Reply/Quote
But if not … if, come 2028, you’re sick of Burrow and the Bengals rag-dolling your team and 30 others year after year, and laughing at you as they do it … don’t say we didn’t warn you.

One can hope.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
"Burrow has spent the past four years doing a note-perfect imitation of an '80s movie nerd-hunting jock villain."

Yeah, no.   Burrow is much more of the nerd hero from one of the stories where the nerd uses his wits to humiliate some jock or tough guy.  He's Macaulay Culkin or Anthony Michael Hall.

[Image: IMG_2397-scaled-e1640569568868-1024x683.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I like it, but I don't understand why Cincy would be labeled as villains.

You cease being the little guy and the underdog when you start winning consistently.  When you're beating other teams repeatedly their fans stop feeling bad.  When you're getting success and no one else is (at the same level, at least) people get jealous.  Villain is the natural progression, regardless of how any of us feel about the team.  

It's going to be a major mind shift for Cincy fans.  Read all the threads right now about people worried about what Eli posts, and KC being called Burrowhead.  Everyone wants to cling to the underdog narrative.  Low expectations, fly under the radar, David and Goliath.  But this team is changing.  Doesn't mean the fans need to become arrogant and entitled.  It doesn't mean we need our guys out there doing dances on opposing teams' logos.  But it does mean we're not going to see the Bengals held up as the feel-good story any more.  

If Buffalo or Cleveland get the same level of success, the same will happen to them.  It's just the way it goes being a winner. 
Reply/Quote
The 'hope' for some, of course, pre-draft of Burrow, was that Joe would hold out and refuse to play here. The national media really wanted Joe to buy into that narrative, which he didn't. But I think there is still some jealously and bitterness we ended up with him. They couldn't have been more wrong how he ended up right for us.
Reply/Quote
Everyone loved Brady, in his first couple of years too. Now he's an A**hole with multiple rings. Think he cares what people think of him?
Reply/Quote
I’ll gladly take this team being a villain if it comes with multiple super bowls. Screw them all. Lol
Reply/Quote
Sooooo.....
Black pants and black jersey for the Super Bowl it is !
We need to enter the field wearing black rain gear as capes, too.
How much do you think we'll need to pay Disney to use the The Imperial March ?
Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 05:00 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Sooooo.....
Black pants and black jersey for the Super Bowl it is !
We need to enter the field wearing black rain gear as capes, too.
How much do you think we'll need to pay Disney to use the The Imperial March ?
Tiger

You forgot about the Black socks.

The only good reason why to wear the Orange socks is with Orange Jersey/White Pants combo.

When have we worn that Orange Creamsicle combo?   Hmm

[Image: 8ee0e74e761d404f99968cdf45962c89_xl.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 05:07 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: You forgot about the Black socks.

The only good reason why to wear the Orange socks is with Orange Jersey/White Pants combo.

When have we worn that Orange Creamsicle combo?   Hmm

[Image: 8ee0e74e761d404f99968cdf45962c89_xl.jpg]

You are absolutely correct !
I meant to do so, but skipped it somehow. 
If only we could have Pacman, Ocho, TO, and Burfict follow behind their entrance in the style of Delta House crashing the parade in Animal House, I could die happy.
Hilarious

[Image: deathmobile1.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
Well, I can tell you this.....we are already villains to the fan base of KC. On one of their message boards, they have a poll.....who would you rather punch in the face, Joe Burrow or Tom Brady. Nothing would make me happier than Joe Cool punching them in the face Sunday night.
Reply/Quote
Depending on who you ask, we already are. Ravens fans have lost their damn minds and are pretty confident we're Satan's team. Chiefs fans find Burrow to be an arrogant douchebag (which is rich considering who Patty is related and married to) and the fans to be insufferable little tough guys. NFC fans are too busy shitting on Dallas to care. Most Steelers fans I've seen have been all in on the Bengals to win it all, which is interesting. Browns fans are just sad. The Bills fans that have suddenly gone all in with their hate boners baffle me the most, since a week ago they were all "BeNgAlS bRoS".

Whatever; the heel has always been the better character anyways.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 01:47 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Everyone loved Brady, in his first couple of years too. Now he's an A**hole with multiple rings. Think he cares what people think of him?

I've never not cheered for a team or player because they've been successful. I've cheered for Brady and New England in several Super Bowls, Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls, LeBron's Miami Heat, the Green Bay Packers in their heydey, and the New York Yankees. The Bengals were probably the only losing franchise that I've consistently loved and supported through thick and thin.

I don't get the mentality of hating someone because they are successful and I think there are many more people like me, who cheer for those teams and players who are successful. KC has been to 5 straight AFCCC and has developed a fan base outside KC that admire Mahomes and the Chiefs and Andy Reid.

If the Bengals have consistent success they will grow their fanbase and admirers exponentially. Only those who are jealous of others' success will hate them. But I think they're a small proportion anyway. 
Reply/Quote

Fans don't like total dominance all the time. Dynasties can be fun to watch, but if the Bengals won 3 of the next 5 Super Bowls and then made an appearance in the 6th, next to every neutral would want the other team to win.

I've never had a particular issue with KC, they've been crap for most of my life. But I'd like someone else to host the AFCCG one time.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:57 AM)Roland Wrote: "Burrow has spent the past four years doing a note-perfect imitation of an '80s movie nerd-hunting jock villain."

Yeah, no.   Burrow is much more of the nerd hero from one of the stories where the nerd uses his wits to humiliate some jock or tough guy.  He's Macaulay Culkin or Anthony Michael Hall.

[Image: IMG_2397-scaled-e1640569568868-1024x683.jpg]

Exactly! Remember after he was signed (during covid), and he was doing an interview and was asked about his Dad's statement about Joe being the only multi-millionaire still living in his parents basement? The interviewer asked Joe if he was still in his childhood room (which he was) and then she asked if he had redecorated. Joe said he had upgraded his bed, but still had a Star Wars comforter on it. He is definitely not Michael Bowen or William Zabka.
Reply/Quote

I was a little thrown by that as well, but I think it has to do with the Bengals thumbing their nose at the NFL with references to the refunds and the coin toss.  
Reply/Quote
We can't be villains - we don't play dirty. More like The Uninvited Party Crashers.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 10:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was a little thrown by that as well, but I think it has to do with the Bengals thumbing their nose at the NFL with references to the refunds and the coin toss.  

I mean you could have easily made the argument the Bengals-Bills game should have been at a neutral site or coin flip since the Bengals were only 1 game behind the Bills in record but would have had the tiebreaker over them had they actually played the regular season game and won.

I guess I just get frustrated to see the national media be obsessed over Josh Allen and the Bills when the Bengals are arguably just as, if not more talented.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote