Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The O-line is not a concern...
(02-27-2017, 05:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: They didn't just get soundly beaten, they are an utter and abject failure.....and are hand picked by the dumbass that's supposed to be their position coach....they're EMBARASSING

What's perhaps most concerning is him saying that they know their team very well.  I'm not so sure.

This is the same staff that watched Ogbuehi get destroyed all preseason and in the joint practices vs the Vikings and still ran him out there for most of the season, costing the team games, no doubt.  They also thought they knew a kicker who forgot how to make extra points and cost them games.  If they know their personnel so well, how did these things happen?  How did a 3rd string back come in and look like a guy who some people think should get 4 mil a year in the final game?  How was this guy sitting behind a starter that couldn't average 4 YPC?  

They either don't know or don't care.  If they knew their players, then they're guilty of gross negligence for continuing to run players out there that could be replaced with warm bodies and street FAS for improvements.  
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 05:51 PM)samhain Wrote: What's perhaps most concerning is him saying that they know their team very well.  I'm not so sure.

This is the same staff that watched Ogbuehi get destroyed all preseason and in the joint practices vs the Vikings and still ran him out there for most of the season, costing the team games, no doubt.  They also thought they knew a kicker who forgot how to make extra points and cost them games.  If they know their personnel so well, how did these things happen?  How did a 3rd string back come in and look like a guy who some people think should get 4 mil a year in the final game?  How was this guy sitting behind a starter that couldn't average 4 YPC?  

They either don't know or don't care.  If they knew their players, then they're guilty of gross negligence for continuing to run players out there that could be replaced with warm bodies and street FAS for improvements.  

I agree....it's as though they either don't know the players, or don't know the game.  One of my "favorite" lines form the article in the OP was "Hill is going nowhere."  No shit detective!  He hasn't gone anywhere in two years! LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 636147718662936334-AP-Bengals-Giants-Football-001.jpg]
[Image: Everything-is-Fine-Dog.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Reason #426 not to pay attention to Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 04:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: At least according to Marvin:

(The line is) not a concern. We know all areas of our team, particularly the offensive group, have to do a better job of protecting our quarterback and that comes from every person and every position group on the offense,” Lewis said. “(Protecting the passer) is always a priority. It’s never changed. It just doesn’t fall on the line. It falls on everybody.”

IMO, the O-line is the #1 concern at the moment, especially with it looking like Z is gone for sure and the uncertainty with Whit's situation. We could be looking at some major holes/questions on the O-line, not to mention Bodine is still the starting center.

Of course, things could change quickly and everything might look a little better, but as it stands right now, I think the O-line is big reason for concern.

It's sickening.  He's back to the old "players need to do their jobs," line.  And apparently the "whole team needs to protect Dalton, not just the Oline,"  So when Bodine inevitably gives up a sack, he can blame a random player,  let's say Kevin Huber.  Damn it Kevin!
Reply/Quote
Sometimes I wonder if Marvin is actually slow.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 05:14 PM)samhain Wrote: "Well, you have to understand that cancer is largely a creation of the media.  Nobody dies because of cancer.  That's you guys talking and nothing else.  Organs function and doctors treat, and we have to treat these organs better so they can function better.  These organs functioned great when you were 16.  Heck, you ran track in high school.  They didn't just forget how to breathe.  That mass in you lung?  Well, I mean all of the systems in the body have a role to play when it comes to breathing.  They all have to help the lungs breathe better.  We know your body very well.  My assistant Paul keeps telling me that that tumor is going to be just fine.  He's frankly sick of friends and family scapegoating the tumor for your deteriorating health.  And the leech treatments?  It's easy to be critical of them, but they graded out very well in the 1700s."  

Dave Lapham:  "I don't know Marvin he looks pretty weak and all the other Drs are using new laser surgeries instead of leeches and chemo to make it easier on the......

Marvin: "   I said he is fine!!!! "We believe in our system here at St Vincents!!!!! "We have never cured anyone but we have extended the life of the patient 5 out of the last 6 years and we are happy with that!"
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 04:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: At least according to Marvin:

(The line is) not a concern. We know all areas of our team, particularly the offensive group, have to do a better job of protecting our quarterback and that comes from every person and every position group on the offense,” Lewis said. “(Protecting the passer) is always a priority. It’s never changed. It just doesn’t fall on the line. It falls on everybody.”

IMO, the O-line is the #1 concern at the moment, especially with it looking like Z is gone for sure and the uncertainty with Whit's situation. We could be looking at some major holes/questions on the O-line, not to mention Bodine is still the starting center.

Of course, things could change quickly and everything might look a little better, but as it stands right now, I think the O-line is big reason for concern.

I just saw this.  Marvin refuses to hold individuals accountable.   He tends to globalize responsibility to "team."  While true, team chemistry plays a role in performance, individuals must execute assignments to avoid inept performance.  I view this flaw to Marvin's thinking as the biggest concern for future expectations of team performance.     
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I love Andy as our QB, but I believe one thing Marvin is alluding to with some of these statements is; that perhaps Andy gets a little too anxious & bails on his protection. I think the same can be said about receivers inability to bail (at times) the QB. I think Marvin would like to see Andy re establish his protection. We've all seen Tom Brady & Aaron Rodgers stay behind the line, move the pocket & evade eminent pressure by re estabilishing protection even when there's a complete break down or totally missed block.

With that said, in no way am I condoning last year's protection. It was abysmal and needs to be addressed.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 06:58 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I love Andy as our QB, but I believe one thing Marvin is alluding to with some of these statements is; that perhaps Andy gets a little too anxious & bails on his protection. I think the same can be said about receivers inability to bail (at times) the QB. I think Marvin would like to see Andy re establish his protection. We've all seen Tom Brady & Aaron Rodgers stay behind the line, move the pocket & evade eminent pressure by re estabilishing protection even when there's a complete break down or totally missed block.

With that said, in no way am I condoning last year's protection. It was abysmal and needs to be addressed.

The line is a ton to blame but you are exactly right. Sometimes it seems that Andy could just step up and throw the ball, instead he rolls into the pressure. That being said, our receivers don't do a good job of the scramble drill. I know when Roethlessburger gets out of a sack there are receivers running open everywhere
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 05:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree....it's as though they either don't know the players, or don't know the game.  One of my "favorite" lines form the article in the OP was "Hill is going nowhere."  No shit detective!  He hasn't gone anywhere in two years! LOL

Right ! Here's Marvin's quote on Hill:

“We bet on him. We have no other choice. We bet on Jeremy to continue to progress and move forward,” 

What the hell does this mean ?? Why do we have no other choice ?? If he is averaging 1.3 yards per carry thru the first 6 games next year we still have no choice but to keep running him out there ??

Get that BS outta here Marvin Lewis, you're full of crud ! There are plenty of choices, this team is just to dysfunctional to use them.

(02-27-2017, 06:16 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: It's sickening.  He's back to the old "players need to do their jobs," line.  And apparently the "whole team needs to protect Dalton, not just the Oline,"  So when Bodine inevitably gives up a sack, he can blame a random player,  let's say Kevin Huber.  Damn it Kevin!

Not sure if the other team would allow us to run all 52 of them out there ?  Ninja
Reply/Quote
Sometimes when you are too close to things, you don't want to admit there are problems. It all starts with Mike and works it way down. This is the offseason of denial, all is ok.
Reply/Quote
2-14 here we come :)
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 07:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right ! Here's Marvin's quote on Hill:

“We bet on him. We have no other choice. We bet on Jeremy to continue to progress and move forward,” 

What the hell does this mean ?? Why do we have no other choice ?? If he is averaging 1.3 yards per carry thru the first 6 games next year we still have no choice but to keep running him out there ??

Get that BS outta here Marvin Lewis, you're full of crud ! There are plenty of choices, this team is just to dysfunctional to use them.

Not sure if the other team would allow us to run all 52 of them out there ?  Ninja

Marvin is not going to sit here and say:

"we don't like our running backs"

because its a dead giveaway in the draft.  Can't believe anything this time of year.
Reply/Quote
If Marvin was the captain of the Titanic he would tell us not to worry about a little leak.
Reply/Quote
He's like a dude that got caught cheating on his wife.  Deny, deny, deny...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 09:22 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If Marvin was the captain of the Titanic he would tell us not to worry about a little leak.

No doubt.
Reply/Quote
If he does think the O-line is a huge concern; I would hope that he doesn't make a big deal about it in press conferences because it could tip off other teams that we are targeting O-line in the draft or something and give them more incentive to jump ahead of us. Think about it, do you guys really want him to announce to the world what his plans are??
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 05:51 PM)samhain Wrote: What's perhaps most concerning is him saying that they know their team very well.  I'm not so sure.
This sums up why our staff of losers have not won a play off game in 26 years. Sick
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 10:00 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: If he does think the O-line is a huge concern; I would hope that he doesn't make a big deal about it in press conferences because it could tip off other teams that we are targeting O-line in the draft or something and give them more incentive to jump ahead of us.  Think about it, do you guys really want him to announce to the world what his plans are??

My problem with that reasoning, if it was the case, is that it assumes that the other 31 front offices in the NFL are made up of of complete morons.

Everyone saw how much the line struggled last year, and it's not a secret that if both Whit and Z leave, the issues/problems become even more magnified. 

It's not like Marvin saying 'nothing to see here' is going to trick the rest of the NFL into thinking the Bengals o-line is in great shape.
Reply/Quote