Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The O-line is not a concern...
If the o-line isnt a concern, then what is? Confused
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 06:04 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If the o-line isnt a concern, then what is?  Confused

I think it would be hard to find anyone to argue against your post. Perhaps Fred or Bfizzle but I think even they would agree that the oline situation should be the teams number one concern.

If Whit and Z are gone they're gonna have to find some mid-level FA help, at the very least.
Oline is by far the weakest group at the moment. You could argue LB but at least there the team has some seasoned vets.
Reply/Quote
I repeat a post I made earlier today

why does this team have any season ticket holders.

Prepare for the return of the 90s and Bengals moving out of Cincy as soon as lease is up.
Reply/Quote
This is why we can't have nice things.

Also, found it funny that he says they got an impact player in Keith Rivers and that he "just got hurt".

Sure, the jaw injury hurts, but that doesn't destroy your type of play. Atkins came back from a torn ACL. As did Leon Hall.

THOSE were impact players.

Rivers got hurt and people use that as an excuse. Rivers was a bust.

Rey Maualuga was a better player. Even in his first 4 years.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 06:04 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If the o-line isnt a concern, then what is?  Confused

Third place?

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 07:44 AM)McC Wrote: He didn't call us suckers.  He said the Bengals see the fans as suckers.

Well as long as the fans continue to adequately fill the stadium enough while Marvin is head coach, I don't know if there's a better word for them than "suckers"
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 06:58 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well as long as the fans continue to adequately fill the stadium enough while Marvin is head coach, I don't know if there's a better word for them than "suckers"

I can't look at it that way.  There's so much tradition involved.  Families, friends, tailgating, football parties, all that.  If you stay, they call you suckers.  If you leave, they call you fair weather.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 04:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: At least according to Marvin:

(The line is) not a concern. We know all areas of our team, particularly the offensive group, have to do a better job of protecting our quarterback and that comes from every person and every position group on the offense,” Lewis said. “(Protecting the passer) is always a priority. It’s never changed. It just doesn’t fall on the line. It falls on everybody.”

IMO, the O-line is the #1 concern at the moment, especially with it looking like Z is gone for sure and the uncertainty with Whit's situation. We could be looking at some major holes/questions on the O-line, not to mention Bodine is still the starting center.

Of course, things could change quickly and everything might look a little better, but as it stands right now, I think the O-line is big reason for concern.

Wow! Marv has lost it!

The O-line just plain sucked last year and its two best players are free agents. If we are to believe the $15M to spend on free agents, which includes re-signing their own, then we have to believe the team isn't looking at improving the O-line. Oh God is that depressing when I think about the team's chances of making a run at the SB in 2017.

It wasn't Jeremy Hill or Gio Bernard or Eifert who causes Oggieboggie boy to whiff so often and so badly or Bodine to get pushed back and back some more. Marv needs a new set of glasses. Actual two sets, one for distance on the field and a pair of reading glasses to see the film on the screen.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 07:01 PM)McC Wrote: I can't look at it that way.  There's so much tradition involved.  Families, friends, tailgating, football parties, all that.  If you stay, they call you suckers.  If you leave, they call you fair weather.  

It's not "leaving" if you're merely taking a "sabbatical" until Marvin is gone.

I completely understand the tradition aspect of it, but in this case... How do you even go to the games knowing Marvin is the head coach? How do you find the strength to give your money to an owner who is beyond satisfied mediocrity? 

You may not want to look at it that way but it is reality 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 04:51 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: It's not "leaving" if you're merely taking a "sabbatical" until Marvin is gone.

I completely understand the tradition aspect of it, but in this case... How do you even go to the games knowing Marvin is the head coach? How do you find the strength to give your money to an owner who is beyond satisfied mediocrity? 

You may not want to look at it that way but it is reality 

Cubs fans filled Wrigley for years with a losing team.  Same with the Red Sox.  Bills fans fill their stadium every week.  It's what real fans do.  Bengals fans deserve a medal.  You give scorn.  So be it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 04:51 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: You may not want to look at it that way but it is reality 

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

Everyone is NOT entitled to claim that his opinion defines reality.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 09:35 AM)McC Wrote: Cubs fans filled Wrigley for years with a losing team.  Same with the Red Sox.  Bills fans fill their stadium every week.  It's what real fans do.  Bengals fans deserve a medal.  You give scorn.  So be it.

There is two important distinctions to make there...

Chicago Metro Population: 9.47m
Boston Metro Population: 4.73m
Cincinnati Metro Population: 2.14m

Wrigley Field Capacity: 41,268
Fenway Park Capacity: ~37,500
Paul Brown Stadium Capacity: 65,515

Also.. Buffalo doesn't have shit else to do, like Green Bay. Ninja

(PS: As soon as you use the term "real fans", you pretty much stop being rational and come off more like a bit prickish. It's not you, it's literally anyone who uses that phrase non-sarcastically.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Paul seems very confident that Whit returns. Hope he's right.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 06:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Paul seems very confident that Whit returns. Hope he's right.

That's somewhat reassuring.....if they don't.....Bengals fans heads are likely to explode.  For good reason....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Tobin talks about Ogbuehi and the O-line

“I think Cedric is still a tremendous prospect – I really do,” said Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine. “He hasn’t had a (healthy) offseason, so it will be good to get him one. The injury thing has been real with him and it has hurt Fish too on the other side. It will be good to get them a full offseason of work and development and maybe at a position to focus on. But I think Cedric is a marvelously talented young man. I think he’s made of the right stuff to work at it, and I’m bullish on him and his ability to play. I really am.”

“Everybody employs different techniques, and I think it is incumbent upon us to look at the players that we have and use the techniques that they’re able to use and to maximize each player in the way that they can be maximized,” said Tobin. “But it’s also incumbent on the player to develop the traits to fit in to what we do. It’s a two-way street. Does Cedric need strength development? Sure he did. So did Fish. All young tackles do. Does he need technique work? Sure he does. So does Fish. I think Paul will do a great job of getting him up to speed and finding the things that he does well, and finding the things he struggles with and trying to build on those.”

“Whit encompasses everything you want when you pull a guy off a draft board from a scouting perspective,” Tobin said. “When you pull the name off the draft board and turn it in, you want him to be Andrew Whitworth ten years from now. On your team…multiple contracts…starter…Pro Bowl player…leader of everybody…and I can throw (Domata) Peko in that mix too. When you’re sitting in a film room thinking about how good this guy could be, those guys encompass exactly what you want. Would I be upset if Whit came back? Hell no. The more good players you can have the better.”

“I think we’ve got some young guys that are looking for the opportunity,” said Tobin. “(Christian) Westerman is a guy that’s used to playing and played a lot in college. He’s also a guy that we didn’t get much opportunity for this year so he’s going to be coming back kind of as a rookie too. But I don’t think the game is too big for him. We have other young guys like (T.J.) Johnson and (Trey) Hopkins. (Alex) Redmond is another guy with great physical traits. So it would be a competition if it’s an open spot. And there might be a player to be named later if there’s an open spot. We’ll see.”  
Reply/Quote
Saddled with ownership that is just happy to be decent
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 07:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Tobin talks about Ogbuehi and the O-line

“I think Cedric is still a tremendous prospect – I really do,” said Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine. “He hasn’t had a (healthy) offseason, so it will be good to get him one. The injury thing has been real with him and it has hurt Fish too on the other side. It will be good to get them a full offseason of work and development and maybe at a position to focus on. But I think Cedric is a marvelously talented young man. I think he’s made of the right stuff to work at it, and I’m bullish on him and his ability to play. I really am.”

“Everybody employs different techniques, and I think it is incumbent upon us to look at the players that we have and use the techniques that they’re able to use and to maximize each player in the way that they can be maximized,” said Tobin. “But it’s also incumbent on the player to develop the traits to fit in to what we do. It’s a two-way street. Does Cedric need strength development? Sure he did. So did Fish. All young tackles do. Does he need technique work? Sure he does. So does Fish. I think Paul will do a great job of getting him up to speed and finding the things that he does well, and finding the things he struggles with and trying to build on those.”

“Whit encompasses everything you want when you pull a guy off a draft board from a scouting perspective,” Tobin said. “When you pull the name off the draft board and turn it in, you want him to be Andrew Whitworth ten years from now. On your team…multiple contracts…starter…Pro Bowl player…leader of everybody…and I can throw (Domata) Peko in that mix too. When you’re sitting in a film room thinking about how good this guy could be, those guys encompass exactly what you want. Would I be upset if Whit came back? Hell no. The more good players you can have the better.”

“I think we’ve got some young guys that are looking for the opportunity,” said Tobin. “(Christian) Westerman is a guy that’s used to playing and played a lot in college. He’s also a guy that we didn’t get much opportunity for this year so he’s going to be coming back kind of as a rookie too. But I don’t think the game is too big for him. We have other young guys like (T.J.) Johnson and (Trey) Hopkins. (Alex) Redmond is another guy with great physical traits. So it would be a competition if it’s an open spot. And there might be a player to be named later if there’s an open spot. We’ll see.”  

My take aways:

1) Alexander is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with Ogbuehi. Ogbuehi can't turn himself into a square peg despite Alexander's "coaching."

2) If a spot is open there is a competition. Center isn't an open spot. Therefore, no competition at center. 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 07:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Tobin talks about Ogbuehi and the O-line

Well Duke.....Paul hasn't gotten them there yet in two years!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 06:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Paul seems very confident that Whit returns. Hope he's right.

Very encouraging.

Tobin has to say that. He's basically the GM and the guy recommending players. I hope there are people within the organization who are less confident in Ogbuehi. The guy was a train wreck. He's going to have to add a ton of muscle. I'm unsure he can do that, and I'm not sure he'll be good even with added muscle. I swear, sometimes it seems the egos of NFL coaches and personnel guys makes them stick with bad choices for far longer than they should. Ogbuehi should have to earn his way back on to the field. After what we saw last year, nothing should be given to him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 09:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Very encouraging.

Tobin has to say that. He's basically the GM and the guy recommending players. I hope there are people within the organization who are less confident in Ogbuehi. The guy was a train wreck. He's going to have to add a ton of muscle. I'm unsure he can do that, and I'm not sure he'll be good even with added muscle. I swear, sometimes it seems the egos of NFL coaches and personnel guys makes them stick with bad choices for far longer than they should. Ogbuehi should have to earn his way back on to the field. After what we saw last year, nothing should be given to him.

I was reading his scouting report the other day. Apparently he had a back injury in college that caused his play to drop off a cliff. Totally robbed him of his strength. Sure looked like strength was still an issue last year. I wonder if the back injury is still lingering. 

Paul Alexander being the longest tenured coach on the team for some reason has more pull than any other assistant coach. On the bright side if OG is a failure maybe this is the end of Paul. 
Reply/Quote