Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Offensive Line: Who Starts in Two Weeks?
Five guys from off the bench came in and delivered a competent job today both in run blocking and pass protection. Okay, I know the Tennessee Titans aren’t exactly the ‘85 Bears on defense but still; it was a much better effort than we’ve seen up front in years.

Was the pass protection perfect today? No, but it was better.

Was the run blocking perfect today? No, but it was better.

Two touchdowns through the air and two touchdowns on the ground proves to me the Bengals can run a balanced offense.

Now comes the bye week so what will Zac Taylor and Jim Turner do? Let’s admit it: These backups played way better than the starters. Do the coaches play the five best linemen against Pittsburgh or will they revert to the old starters in true Bengal fashion?

If it were up to me I would play the five best linemen, period. Look what happened today: Shaq Calhoun brain farted twice and he was benched in favor of Quinton Spain who has been a Bengal for about 72 hours. I’m saying screw loyalty, screw the depth chart, and roll with the five guys who played today: Adeniji, Spain, Price, Redmond, and Johnson.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 08:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Five guys from off the bench came in and delivered a competent job today both in run blocking and pass protection.  Okay, I know the Tennessee Titans aren’t exactly the ‘85 Bears on defense but still; it was a much better effort than we’ve seen up front in years.

Was the pass protection perfect today?  No, but it was better.

Was the run blocking perfect today?  No, but it was better.

Two touchdowns through the air and two touchdowns on the ground proves to me the Bengals can run a balanced offense.

Now comes the bye week so what will Zac Taylor and Jim Turner do?  Let’s admit it: These backups played way better than the starters.  Do the coaches play the five best linemen against Pittsburgh or will they revert to the old starters in true Bengal fashion?

If it were up to me I would play the five best linemen, period. Look what happened today:  Shaq Calhoun brain farted twice and he was benched in favor of Quinton Spain who has been a Bengal for about 72 hours.  I’m saying screw loyalty, screw the depth chart, and roll with the five guys who played today: Adeniji, Spain, Price, Redmond, and Johnson.

There were a lot of great performances on offense by guys down the depth chart today, but people have to realize that as bad as the Bengals defense has been this year, the Titans D is actually ranked worse.  All these guys should get opportunities to compete, but people are going off the deep end expecting wholesale changes.  
Reply/Quote
It depends on who's healthy.

I'd like to see Adeniji-Spain-Price-Redmond-Williams.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 08:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: There were a lot of great performances on offense by guys down the depth chart today, but people have to realize that as bad as the Bengals defense has been this year, the Titans D is actually ranked worse.  All these guys should get opportunities to compete, but people are going off the deep end expecting wholesale changes.  

These guys did their job and did it well. Why do we always diminish good games by rolling out the old narrative, "look who we played"? 
Reply/Quote
I’ve posted mine a couple times in other threads:

Williams - Spain - Hopkins - XSF - Adeniji
Reply/Quote
Need to re watch but I think people are over estimating the performance today. Burrow had to pull magic out of his ass a couple times to not get sacked. There was one play Clowney came up the middle untouched and he spun him around. The results were what we wanted but I think when we get another look at the tape we will see plenty of issues against a middle of the road pass rushing team.

I do think with that said Spain looked really good, especially as a run blocker. Adenini’s first outing was solid, I don’t think it was good enough to move Jonah to RT as I have seen some people here say.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 08:39 PM)sandwedge Wrote: These guys did their job and did it well. Why do we always diminish good games by rolling out the old narrative, "look who we played"? 

It’s called context. The Steelers pass rush is a whole other animal. The feel good story about how well all our backups look will be quickly forgotten if Burrow is getting lit up.

Jonah has to start, imo. Maybe kick Adeniji over to RT and sit FJ.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 08:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Five guys from off the bench came in and delivered a competent job today both in run blocking and pass protection.  Okay, I know the Tennessee Titans aren’t exactly the ‘85 Bears on defense but still; it was a much better effort than we’ve seen up front in years.

Was the pass protection perfect today?  No, but it was better.

Was the run blocking perfect today?  No, but it was better.

Now comes the bye week so what will Zac Taylor and Jim Turner do?  Let’s admit it: These backups played way better than the starters.  Do the coaches play the five best linemen against Pittsburgh or will they revert to the old starters in true Bengal fashion?

If it were up to me I would play the five best linemen, period. Look what happened today:  Shaq Calhoun brain farted twice and he was benched in favor of Quinton Spain who has been a Bengal for about 72 hours.  I’m saying screw loyalty, screw the depth chart, and roll with the five guys who played today: Adeniji, Spain, Price, Redmond, and Johnson.

Jonah Williams doesn't lose his spot regardless of what happened today. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 08:40 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’ve posted mine a couple times in other threads:

Williams - Spain - Hopkins - XSF - Adeniji

I can't agree with putting Hopkins back in right now.  After what Price has shown recently, you almost have to keep him in there, and decide weather your 1st round draft pick is worth continuing to invest in.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 09:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can't agree with putting Hopkins back in right now.  After what Price has shown recently, you almost have to keep him in there, and decide weather your 1st round draft pick is worth continuing to invest in.

I’d like to see Hopkins with competent guards to either side of him. Price has a lot of value as the line’s 6th man. Price still has some issues with shotgun snaps, too.
Reply/Quote
Lol, we always make fun of our pass rush and how bad it is, you think Titans fans expected a lot from their line today? It’s the same thing we’d say “Doesn’t matter who’s out there, we won’t hit the QB anyways.”

If we keep that line against the Steelers, we will get ripped up. We will anyways, but I’d rather be ok with having Jonah, Price, and maybe Adeniji in there. The tough part about him is that Hart has actually been playing well.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 09:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can't agree with putting Hopkins back in right now.  After what Price has shown recently, you almost have to keep him in there, and decide weather your 1st round draft pick is worth continuing to invest in.

A game and a half won't win me over with Billy Price he does that will have a good game but he doesn't show the consistency that Trey Hopkins does.

Williams-Spain-Hopkins-XSF/Finney-Hart. 

Adeniji had a good game but flipping him to the right side will be tough especially against TJ Watt and even though people dont wanna hear it Bobby Hart has improved every week and has looked good.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Redmond may go from starting to the practice squad if XSF is healthy. Either XSF or Spain will be starting over Redmond. The question will be will Jordan sit as well.

So I'll guess Williams, Spain, Hopkins, XSF, Hart.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:00 PM)Synric Wrote: A game and a half won't win me over with Billy Price he does that will have a good game but he doesn't show the consistency that Trey Hopkins does.

Williams-Spain-Hopkins-XSF/Finney-Hart. 

Adeniji had a good game but flipping him to the right side will be tough especially against TJ Watt and even though people dont wanna hear it Bobby Hart has improved every week and has looked good.

People will say I'm nitpicking the guy, but my big concern with Price is he's had issues with bad snaps since his rookie year and can't seem to shake them.  Nobody is concerned about that kind of stuff until the other team recovers or does something dirty to Burrow in the pile.  We've dodged those bullets so far, but I don't want to keep rolling the dice.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:09 PM)Whatever Wrote: People will say I'm nitpicking the guy, but my big concern with Price is he's had issues with bad snaps since his rookie year and can't seem to shake them.  Nobody is concerned about that kind of stuff until the other team recovers or does something dirty to Burrow in the pile.  We've dodged those bullets so far, but I don't want to keep rolling the dice.

I’ve said it two games in a row now. It’s a bigger deal than some are claiming.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 09:51 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’d like to see Hopkins with competent guards to either side of him. Price has a lot of value as the line’s 6th man. Price still has some issues with shotgun snaps, too.

(11-01-2020, 10:00 PM)Synric Wrote: A game and a half won't win me over with Billy Price he does that will have a good game but he doesn't show the consistency that Trey Hopkins does.
Those are exactly the reasons that he should be allowed to continue starting at Center.  The team invested a 1st round selection on him, they need to know if he can provide for the long haul, or if it's time to cut bait and proceed otherwise.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Those are exactly the reasons that he should be allowed to continue starting at Center.  The team invested a 1st round selection on him, they need to know if he can provide for the long haul, or if it's time to cut bait and proceed otherwise.

They also invested in Trey Hopkins known consistency through 2022.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Those are exactly the reasons that he should be allowed to continue starting at Center.  The team invested a 1st round selection on him, they need to know if he can provide for the long haul, or if it's time to cut bait and proceed otherwise.

Just answered this about Jordan in another thread. The most important player’s development right now is Burrow and I’m not willing to let an offensive lineman figure things out in front of him when there are better options ready to go now.
Reply/Quote
Would moving Adeniji to RT be a big deal since he played LT today?

Also, is XSF definitely coming back? Think I would prefer Spain there against the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 10:32 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Would moving Adeniji to RT be a big deal since he played LT today?

Also, is XSF definitely coming back? Think I would prefer Spain there against the Steelers.

Saw a video of XSF doing bag drills with a helmet on, last week. He was moving great and not a hint of an ankle injury.
Reply/Quote