Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The One: Rumblings of OBJ to the Bengals
(06-17-2022, 05:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's the thing.
He wants more, but his value is going to go up when 1) he's closer to being recovered from his injury, and 2) when teams have their WR1 or WR2 go down into the season and they're needing a replacement to help them compete toward the postseason.

He might get closer to that asking price, but it won't be until teams start having more a need.

This is likely the case with him and a slew of other FA's hoping for a team to be in desperation and needing PT.  

On the other hand, the timing of his recovery is key.  Teams will be most desperate post trade deadline but it will be hard to pick up a playbook and contribute if it drags into say week 10.  

He may see them as a contending offensive machine that has a clear path to at least rotation reps, Burrow using more 4WR sets when he is healthy and breathers for the other 3.  It's our biggest strength, we have other needs, there's the ego risk...but those 4 can block. That really opens up a lot.  I think it's more drumming up interest to pivot, but I'm not opposed if he takes less and doesn't gamble.  I'm assuming they would PUP him. 
Reply/Quote
He wants more, but his value is going to go up when 1) he's closer to being recovered from his injury, and 2) when teams have their WR1 or WR2 go down into the season and they're needing a replacement to help them compete toward the postseason.

He might get closer to that asking price, but it won't be until teams start having more a need.

He'd be a pure one-shot rental.  I'd be fine with that, and if he'd be willing to sign for less while his health is still in question, then I'd be okay with buying low for a potential big late-season boost to the offense/insurance for injury.  I doubt he's that desperate, but perhaps Burrow is enough of a draw for him to get on board at the ground floor.  

His attitude historically sucks, but it usually sets in after he's around for a year or so and starts to think the grass would be greener elsewhere.  A short stint on a contender would be an unlikely environment for that scenario to play out.  He'd be gone and looking for a better contract if all went as planned in 22.  

If Larry O is healthy, then yes, I'd rather have him.  I like Spain, but I think the team is making the right move in letting Volson/Carman battle it out.  Carman was criticized for being lazy and Volson is a guy that won't back down, regardless of draft position.  Either carman gets it together and holds him off, or Volson takes advantage and becomes the starter.  They need some kind of in-house youth to succeed on the line.  They won't be able to buy new OL every year.   

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 05:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: True enough. WR4 is not a massive priority. 

It is honestly a ST's position and Stanley Morgan has that sewn up.

We just need a WR with some speed to scare Defenses a little bit if one of the top 3 go down. 

That could be Lassiter for all we know who is already on the team and is young and healthy.
Reply/Quote
No.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 01:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is honestly a ST's position and Stanley Morgan has that sewn up.

We just need a WR with some speed to scare Defenses a little bit if one of the top 3 go down. 

That could be Lassiter for all we know who is already on the team and is young and healthy.

It has been a ST spot the last few years but that could bite them.  The improved running game will be a big deal, but you hate going from leaning on 3 wide sets to playing a ST or developmental guy that could blow a route.  Hurst is a solid target but not much behind him in terms of receiving skill at TE.  I also hate having to alter how the RB is used if a top 3 WR is hurt.  

Adding a bland but stable vet like Chester Rogers gives cheap stability before camp and could compete for punt return reps.  It's not that I don't like the guys we have for depth but having stability at 4th WR would be important. If the guys in house don't earn it, keep an eye on waivers. 

Reply/Quote
I’m in the I wouldn’t want him if he was free club. Was a talent no doubt but the guy is a tremendous headcase. Very much so in Cleveland but was also with the Giants before. It’s easy to calm down a little when you’re getting targets on a super bowl team right after leaving that mess in Cleveland, but I don’t trust him. He doesn’t exemplify the characteristics of players Zac has been bringing into the team.

Do we even have a diva on the team anymore? I think Dunlap was the last one that was grumbling in the locker room.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2022, 12:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: can’t stand that dude

Not a fan either

Alllllllllll about himself

Can’t see his selfish non-team-player DIVA personality doing anything healthy for a currently VERY health locker room.

PASS!
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 10:49 PM)phil413 Wrote: It has been a ST spot the last few years but that could bite them.  The improved running game will be a big deal, but you hate going from leaning on 3 wide sets to playing a ST or developmental guy that could blow a route.  Hurst is a solid target but not much behind him in terms of receiving skill at TE.  I also hate having to alter how the RB is used if a top 3 WR is hurt.  

Adding a bland but stable vet like Chester Rogers gives cheap stability before camp and could compete for punt return reps.  It's not that I don't like the guys we have for depth but having stability at 4th WR would be important. If the guys in house don't earn it, keep an eye on waivers. 

All good thoughts Phil. I agree, need a speedy vet even if I like our UDFA's, they are unknown and went undrafted for a reason.

Was a wild Draft for WR's, no one expected that many to go that early. OBJ is not the speedy vet we need though.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 04:47 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I’m in the I wouldn’t want him if he was free club. Was a talent no doubt but the guy is a tremendous headcase. Very much so in Cleveland but was also with the Giants before. It’s easy to calm down a little when you’re getting targets on a super bowl team right after leaving that mess in Cleveland, but I don’t trust him. He doesn’t exemplify the characteristics of players Zac has been bringing into the team.

Do we even have a diva on the team anymore? I think Dunlap was the last one that was grumbling in the locker room.

We don't have nor want any divas. Doesn't make any sense with Zac Taylor as our HC that is for sure.

Just click bait.

(06-19-2022, 12:26 PM)Whacked Wrote: Not a fan either

Alllllllllll about himself

Can’t see his selfish non-team-player DIVA personality doing anything healthy for a currently VERY health locker room.

PASS!

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I've never liked OBJ myself... Having said that; this makes too much sense. He won't be ready for awhile still, and should come on the cheap. He's not much use to a WR needy team. He'd be a great late season addition to a team on a playoff push though... Especially one with 3 good to great WRs, and stripes on their helmets. The magic culture around here should keep him in line.

You could do worse on a one year rental.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 12:39 PM)jason Wrote: I've never liked OBJ myself... Having said that; this makes too much sense. He won't be ready for awhile still, and should come on the cheap. He's not much use to a WR needy team. He'd be a great late season addition to a team on a playoff push though... Especially one with 3 good to great WRs, and stripes on their helmets. The magic culture around here should keep him in line.

You could do worse on a one year rental.

The question is has he matured at all honestly...

That would be the only way I see us bringing him in. He would have to be healthy and grown into a selfless person...

I don't see that happening myself but I have been wrong lots of times about some people.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 12:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The question is has he matured at all honestly...

That would be the only way I see us bringing him in. He would have to be healthy and grown into a selfless person...

I don't see that happening myself but I have been wrong lots of times about some people.

Again... If the culture is as strong as many claim, he'll fall in line. Remember the big malcontent Corey Dillon? He fit in seamlessly in New England. That LSU connection is there, and Burrow is THE top dog in Cincinnati. I'd wager that he already has some sort of relationship with Ja'Marr Chase too. OBJ will fall in line. His antics in New York are well known. Apparently he didn't like Baker... Neither do I. I didn't hear too much about him in LA though, and this would be a similar situation.

I don't think it's a must to sign him, but a helluva luxury.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 12:56 PM)jason Wrote: Again... If the culture is as strong as many claim, he'll fall in line. Remember the big malcontent Corey Dillon? He fit in seamlessly in New England. That LSU connection is there, and Burrow is THE top dog in Cincinnati. I'd wager that he already has some sort of relationship with Ja'Marr Chase too. OBJ will fall in line. His antics in New York are well known. Apparently he didn't like Baker... Neither do I. I didn't hear too much about him in LA though, and this would be a similar situation.

I don't think it's a must to sign him, but a helluva luxury.

Cool, nice post Jason. True about the culture that has been built here similar to when Dillon went to New England and there 
were no problems with him. What you say here makes sense on why OBJ has been a malcontent similar to Dillon. He might 
just fall in line, sure hope so if we do sign him. I just don't think we will, Zac and company only like stand up individuals on 
this team, Captains and leaders.
Reply/Quote

Zero reason to look at him if hes not ready to step on the field right now
Reply/Quote
I think he has more interest in the Bengals than the Bengals have in him. He's damaged goods right now, and I suspect he wants to ride the Burrow/Chase LSU train a little while for the fun of it. I would be hesistant that his diva ways might spread throughout the WR room, and I am sure Zac and crew are aware of that possibility.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like October is what him and his team are shooting for. I think it's pushing it given it's the same knee.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 10:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think he has more interest in the Bengals than the Bengals have in him. 

This.

All of this buzz is based on comments made by OBJ.  Absolutely nothing from the Bengals.

OBJ probably knows he won't even be ready to play until deep into the season.  He is just "planting seeds" in case one of our WRs gets injured.  If he was 100% healthy that would change everything.
Reply/Quote