Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Overlooked Play
Was made by AJ Green and it wasn't any of his three TD catches either.

It was the block he had on the CB when Mixon ran for 21 on that designed run right that didn't work and Mixon ran left. Green blocked his man right off the field as Mixon ran past.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
AJ is a team player which is so rare for stars to be these days.

So lucky to have him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Somebody was doing a good job blocking in the end zone when Boyd ran his TD catch in too. I think it was Ross
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 10:20 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Somebody was doing a good job blocking in the end zone when Boyd ran his TD catch in too.  I think it was Ross

Actually I noticed that Ross blocks pretty well. He's a bit more physical than I thought. He looked strong fighting for extra yards on his single catch
Reply/Quote
Another overlooked play was when Boyd was underthrown and turned defender to knock the interception out of the Ravens defender's hands....
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 10:16 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Was made by AJ Green and it wasn't any of his three TD catches either.

It was the block he had on the CB when Mixon ran for 21 on that designed run right that didn't work and Mixon ran left. Green blocked his man right off the field as Mixon ran past.

Great call.  I try to make notes as the game is going on plays and I forgot that one.  I wasn't at this game (was in a hotel room in Denver) but you could see on replay that AJ totally took his guy out of the play, and even tossed him aside after!

I hope (and I am fairly certain) that a play like that gets lots of attention in the film room.  

To be fair, John Ross actually was asked to set the edge (!) on a couple rushes and blocked decently.  I think he is trying hard to get more targets, but putting your hands where you want the ball after a catchable ball bounced off your hands is sure as hell not the way to get them.  C'mon, John, I know that two TD, breakout game is coming.  Don't act like a douche. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Another overlooked play was when Boyd was underthrown and turned defender to knock the interception out of the Ravens defender's hands....

Fantastic play on his end. It looked like the DB was going to drop it anyway but he secured the finish to that play. That could’ve really swung the momentum.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 10:34 PM)Brimey Wrote: Actually I noticed that Ross blocks pretty well. He's a bit more physical than I thought. He looked strong fighting for extra yards on his single catch

Some will say I am just sticking up for my guy (as I really liked the Ross pick) but I strongly believe that John has a huge game ahead of him where he will bust a short screen something like 80 yards for a TD and also get a bomb for a long TD.  

He is STILL shaking the gameday rust off and he is doing the little things (blocking assignments) and he will get his chance.  

If you would have told me that we would have two receptions out of him through two games, but the Bengals would have scored 34 points each game, I would have called you crazy...but it just shows the potential of what lies ahead.

Somewhat unrelated, but I really like how Kroft and Uzomah are getting some chances as well.  
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 10:34 PM)Brimey Wrote: Actually I noticed that Ross blocks pretty well. He's a bit more physical than I thought. He looked strong fighting for extra yards on his single catch

Ross has surprised me as a blocker. AJ is a better Rendition of Chad in all aspects, receiving, blocking (team player) and team player. AJ never makes it about AJ other than to get frustrated at time at himself or the flow of the game.

I loved Chad's production, I hated Chad's  me first and look at me antics.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 09:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Some will say I am just sticking up for my guy (as I really liked the Ross pick) but I strongly believe that John has a huge game ahead of him where he will bust a short screen something like 80 yards for a TD and also get a bomb for a long TD.  

He is STILL shaking the gameday rust off and he is doing the little things (blocking assignments) and he will get his chance.  

If you would have told me that we would have two receptions out of him through two games, but the Bengals would have scored 34 points each game, I would have called you crazy...but it just shows the potential of what lies ahead.

Somewhat unrelated, but I really like how Kroft and Uzomah are getting some chances as well.  

I agree about everything you stated. We tend to lose patience and evaluate a player on their draft position. If a #1 like Ross does not come out strong, some give up on him. I am with you, by the end of the year we could have 3 scary weapons in Green, Boyd and Ross capable of giving DB's nightmares.

I also like our TE progression. We have 3 guys that can be used in different formations and a 4th playing special teams we could use to keep using the game plan if one gets hurt from a TE view.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 09:48 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Fantastic play on his end. It looked like the DB was going to drop it anyway but he secured the finish to that play. That could’ve really swung the momentum.

It was a great play and the right play, my greedy side wished he would have grabbed for the catch [once it popped up to him). But, he did the right thing.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Great call.  I try to make notes as the game is going on plays and I forgot that one.  I wasn't at this game (was in a hotel room in Denver) but you could see on replay that AJ totally took his guy out of the play, and even tossed him aside after!

I hope (and I am fairly certain) that a play like that gets lots of attention in the film room.  

To be fair, John Ross actually was asked to set the edge (!) on a couple rushes and blocked decently.  I think he is trying hard to get more targets, but putting your hands where you want the ball after a catchable ball bounced off your hands is sure as hell not the way to get them.  C'mon, John, I know that two TD, breakout game is coming.  Don't act like a douche. 

It absolutely should have been caught, but to communicate with the QB the best location for YOU to catch it is not being a douche.  It's working between the two of them to make sure there is execution of the play.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 10:13 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It was a great play and the right play, my greedy side wished he would have grabbed for the catch w[once it popped up to him. But, he did the right thing.

Ditto.  In fact I thought it would have been fitting considering the catch that went off Jesse Bates' hands into those of the receiver.
Reply/Quote
The one play everyone has forgotten was the first pass to Green where it looked like he fumbled AGAIN!!!

I bet you have all forgotten how you reacted to that. But 3 tds will erase plays like that from fans memories.
Reply/Quote
i really thought when CJ Uzamah had that 29 yd catch and run it really gave us a preview of what was yet to come.
hes had a very under the radar productive 2 games.
hes improved alot from last year. hes caught everything thrown his way
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 11:17 AM)impactplaya Wrote: i really thought when CJ Uzamah had that 29 yd catch and run it really gave us a preview of what was yet to come.
hes had a very under the radar productive 2 games.
hes improved alot from last year. hes caught everything thrown his way

Good call, it was nice to see the big man rumbling down the field.  If his blocking matches his athleticism, I'm sure that they would like to get him more involved.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
AJ is one helluva player, consummate pro, and a real team first guy. He's also a very class act off the field. We're really, really fortunate to have him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 10:35 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: It absolutely should have been caught, but to communicate with the QB the best location for YOU to catch it is not being a douche.  It's working between the two of them to make sure there is execution of the play.

While catchable it was on his back hip and not out in front as it should have been. Ross was just pointing that out.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 10:20 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Somebody was doing a good job blocking in the end zone when Boyd ran his TD catch in too. I think it was Ross

It was Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2018, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The one play everyone has forgotten was the first pass to Green where it looked like he fumbled AGAIN!!!

I bet you have all forgotten how you reacted to that. But 3 tds will erase plays like that from fans memories.

I thought it was a fumble. We got lucky. We got some breaks that game.
Reply/Quote