Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The QB position
Okay so I'm sitting here and overall pretty content with the NFL Draft and how things went with one exception. How do we not draft a QB (besides pick #249) in such a deep class? Every team in our division drafted a QB even in the case of a Pittsburgh who has an elite one already.

Smart teams plan for the future. Dalton is serviceable but are we willing to pay him 20-25 million per year and continue to stay average at the position? I thought the Ravens made a brilliant move in drafting Lamar Jackson....have him learn behind Flacco for a few year and see where things end up 3 years from now. Do they really want to give Flacco 25 million a year with the way he's playing? The same question can be posed for Andy......

Every off season we sit here and argue about Andy. I think most of us can come to the consensus that he's not terrible or great and that for the contract he's worth it....but that shouldn't preclude you from attempting to solidify/upgrade the position for the future especially with the way the QBs are getting paid.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:56 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Okay so I'm sitting here and overall pretty content with the NFL Draft and how things went with one exception.  How do we not draft a QB in such a deep class?  Every team in our division drafted a QB even in the case of a Pittsburgh who has an elite one already.  

Smart teams plan for the future. Dalton is serviceable but are we willing to pay him 20-25 million per year and continue to stay average at the position?  I thought the Ravens made a brilliant move in drafting Lamar Jackson....have him learn behind Flacco for a few year and see where things end up 3 years from now. Do they really want to give Flacco 25 million a year with the way he's playing? The same question can be posed for Andy......

Every off season we sit here and argue about Andy. I think most of us can come to the consensus that he's not terrible or great and that for the contract he's worth it....but that shouldn't preclude you from attempting to solidify/upgrade the position for the future especially with the way the QBs are getting paid.

We did draft a QB... Logan Woodside. Maybe not elite, but I didn't see a great opportunity to take an early round QB (Lamar Jackson was available in round 1, but Pittsburgh jumped in front of us in round 3 for Rudolph).
Reply/Quote
Question 
(04-28-2018, 08:56 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Okay so I'm sitting here and overall pretty content with the NFL Draft and how things went with one exception. How do we not draft a QB in such a deep class? Every team in our division drafted a QB even in the case of a Pittsburgh who has an elite one already.

Smart teams plan for the future.

The Bengals don’t need a new quarterback. The Bengals needed a center more than anything else and they got the best center in the draft with Billy Price. The center is the cornerstone of the offensive line and with the worst offense in the NFL, Cincinnati did the smart thing in the first round.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Every team in our division needed a QB worse than the Bengals. Ben has been making comments about retirement, Flacco isnt good, and the Browns are the Browns. Dalton is a good QB and we need to upgrade other positions a lot more than getting an early round QB.
Reply/Quote
I will tell you why...

The Coaching staff and Front Office does not want a QB controversy. Period. If the Bengals would have drafted Rudolph, fans would be screaming for him to start after Dalton's first bad game.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 09:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I will tell you why...

The Coaching staff and Front Office does not want a QB controversy.  Period.  If the Bengals would have drafted Rudolph, fans would be screaming for him to start after Dalton's first bad game.

Yeah they learned that from the McCarron scenario.

Nobody is going to clamor for Barkley.

Driskell perhaps, but to the rest of the NFL analysts and fans he's a nobody.

Only Bengal fans who know more than the starters even know who he is for that matter.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If Mayfield works out (history certainly suggests he won’t) Dalton could be the 4th best QB in this division in a year or two. Kinda scary...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 10:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If Mayfield works out (history certainly suggests he won’t) Dalton could be the 4th best QB in this division in a year or two. Kinda scary...

Two years from now Dalton could be gone...  so there's that.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 10:06 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Two years from now Dalton could be gone...  so there's that.

Marvin loves him some Andy, he’s probably here as long as he wants to be. And being such a character guy I don’t see him wanting to leave like his predecessor.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 10:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Marvin loves him some Andy, he’s probably here as long as he wants to be. And being such a character guy I don’t see him wanting to leave like his predecessor.

Well ya just never know.

They probably will pick a QB next draft.  I would presume in the higher rounds.

I've heard the next crop of QBs are weaker than this class.

Time will only tell.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 09:57 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I will tell you why...

The Coaching staff and Front Office does not want a QB controversy.  Period.  If the Bengals would have drafted Rudolph, fans would be screaming for him to start after Dalton's first bad game.

That's a really good point! 

Tbh, I've grown more comfortable with Andy Dalton. 
How many teams keep missing on QB draft picks every other year?... at least we don't have that problem.
Also, look at how many average QB's get overpaid in free agency... Dalton's contract isn't too bad.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:56 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Okay so I'm sitting here and overall pretty content with the NFL Draft and how things went with one exception.  How do we not draft a QB (besides pick #249) in such a deep class?  Every team in our division drafted a QB even in the case of a Pittsburgh who has an elite one already.  

Smart teams plan for the future. Dalton is serviceable but are we willing to pay him 20-25 million per year and continue to stay average at the position?  I thought the Ravens made a brilliant move in drafting Lamar Jackson....have him learn behind Flacco for a few year and see where things end up 3 years from now. Do they really want to give Flacco 25 million a year with the way he's playing? The same question can be posed for Andy......

That's easy to answer, we have a pretty  damn good one, that was getting better until he had to start running for his life! Lazor believes in him. 
Reply/Quote
We did draft an elite qb Woodside lol he's kind of local and he's going to win us a ring when Dalton goes down.ala brady
Reply/Quote
It was unnecessary to draft a QB, best to look for other spots to fill and strike it lucky than get another QB. Our defense is getting old and Burfinct is a gamble. I rather we had use that draft pick for a defensive player.
Reply/Quote
Out of the 4 teams in the AFCN, we needed a QB least. If there were an Aaron Rodgers-esque slide on one of the top QBs of the draft I would have been fine with it, but eschewing our more pressing needs in rounds 1 and 2 to take a QB just for the sake of taking a QB would have been silly.
Reply/Quote
A rookie OC had to talk our GM who had decades of experience making NFL picks out of replacing Palmer with either of two guys who aren't even on NFL rosters anymore. much less starting-caliber QBs...so I'm not confident we luck into such a seamless transition again. Time will tell, though.

Unless we spend most of a year sans Dalton, we won't be in a position to draft his replacement high and I don't see Mike Brown being the type of GM to trade a haul to move up to get the QB of the future.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 09:26 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Every team in our division needed a QB worse than the Bengals. Ben has been making comments about retirement, Flacco isnt good, and the Browns are the Browns. Dalton is a good QB and we need to upgrade other positions a lot more than getting an early round QB.

Whether you love or hate Dalton (or somewhere between), you have to admit this is truth.

- Ben is old and making retirement threats every year.
- Flacco has been far worse than Dalton, not even debatable.
- Browns are eternally searching for a QB

That said, I would've liked a Lauletta to compete with Barkley, who is a lower end backup. You never know though, Logan Woodside could be the next Tom Brady.  Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:56 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Okay so I'm sitting here and overall pretty content with the NFL Draft and how things went with one exception.  How do we not draft a QB (besides pick #249) in such a deep class?  Every team in our division drafted a QB even in the case of a Pittsburgh who has an elite one already.  

I have a different take on it. We could have traded up for Rudolph as it was obvious the Steelers set themselves to take him. We might have been planning to take Rudolph with one of those two consecutive picks, but unless Marvin confirms we were going to take Rudolph there, I have to believe the team wanted the players they ended up with.

As far as one of the top QBs, we just weren't in position to take one. And taking Jackson in the 1st would have been a colossal mistake for the Bengals.

Average Andy is entrenched.

Reply/Quote
We have the least need for a QB in the entire division eh?

1. Steelers-Regardless of Ben's age, he is currently by far the best QB in the entire division. For all we know he could play another 3-4 years and perform at an elite level. I can completely understand why they'd draft a QB as they did in this draft since their backup is questionable and at some point, Ben needs a replacement.

2. Browns-I'd bet many would argue that Tyrod Taylor and now Baker Mayfield is a much better duo than Andy Dalton and Barkely. Most astute observers would take the Browns pair over ours. Mayfield has a world of potential and Taylor is a serviceable QB.

3. Ravens- Flacco is inconsistent and has mediocre regular season stats, but let's be real. He's a superowl MVP and nobody can take that away from him. I'd agree that over the last few years he has declined quite a bit, but I'd argue that Dalton has declined as well. Even if you want to argue that Flacco has declined more than Dalton the bottom line is now they have a guy with tremendous upside in Lamar Jackson. I'd take the pair of Flacco and Jackson any day of the week over Dalton and Barkely moving forward.

All three teams in our division now have at least 2 QBs that have value. We are the only one with one QB, and you could make the case that by seasons end we will have the worst starting QB in the division. Time will tell.
Reply/Quote

The answer is; because Marv Lewis is a bonafide idiot and doesn't know football from the hole in his butt. He says stupid things like 'you can't fix an offensive line in one offseason' and he doesn't draft a 'decent' QB early because he thinks Dalton won't get hurt and be out an extended period of time. There's zero reason not to draft a QB earlier and make it clear he's the backup. 

Dalton is going into his 8th year and still hasn't had a good playoff performance. 

The stupid things Marv does are almost unbelievable until you take a second to realize, it's his M.O. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote