Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
The Steelers are just better than the Bengals
It pains me to say this, but the Steelers have just been better than the Bengals in every phase of football and from an organizational standpoint over the past few years.

Of course they beat us on the field, but they are also drafting and getting better players and have better systems and schemes on the field. Thats what really worries me. Their offensive line was built over the past few years to be one of the best in the NFL, ours has fallen flat on its face. They reloaded at receiver with JuJu, Jesse James, and now Vance McDonald. We have John Ross who has serious durability and ability concerns. Their best offensive player decides he doesnt want to play so they plug in a rookie James Connor who is tearing it up.

Their defense is rounding into form and is taking off...ours is self destructing. Someone in that organization is doing a hell of a job with player personnel and scouting because that team just continues to reload and get it right while we continue to tread water.

This isn't a thread to build the Steelers up, its a thread to compare. The Steelers are going to be REAAAALLY good up until they lose the stability of Ben at QB and even after that im not sure that they don't go out and somehow find another HOF QB to replace him.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
HOF QB’s don’t grow on trees. We just have to wait the fat bastard out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It pains me to say this, but the Steelers have just been better than the Bengals in every phase of football and from an organizational standpoint over the past few years.

Of course they beat us on the field, but they are also drafting and getting better players and have better systems on the field. Thats what really worries me. Their offensive line was built over the past few years to be one of the best in the NFL, ours has fallen flat on its face. They reloaded at receiver with JuJu, Jesse James, and now Vance McDonald. We have John Ross who has serious durability and ability concerns. Their best offensive player decides he doesnt want to play so they plug in a rookie James Connor who is tearing it up.

Their defense is rounding into form and is taking off...ours is self destructing. Someone in that organization is doing a hell of a job with player personnel and scouting because that team just continues to reload and get it right while we continue to tread water.

This isn't a thread to build the Steelers up, its a thread to compare. The Steelers are going to be REAAAALLY good up until they lose the stability of Ben at QB and even after that im not sure that they don't go out and somehow find another HOF QB to replace him.

I disagree they are drafting better. The Vance McDonald pickup does seem to be working out, but that was after a failed attempt at TE with Ladarius Green. They have had a good amount of continuity across their O line for a while which has helped along with Ben obviously. To me it comes down to they schematically and coaching wise are better than us more than anything. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: I disagree they are drafting better. The Vance McDonald pickup does seem to be working out, but that was after a failed attempt at TE with Ladarius Green. They have had a good amount of continuity across their O line for a while which has helped along with Ben obviously. To me it comes down to they schematically and coaching wise are better than us more than anything. 

Agree with this 100%. 

Them, the Pats, the Chiefs, Eagles are on an entire different playing field offensively and defensively (not the chiefs) than the rest of the league. Those teams are evolving while the Bengals are stuck in the mud. 

It's like they are running turbo charged engines while we are stuck with a four cylinder.
Reply/Quote
The Steelers dominated in the trenches last night...and that's how you win football games.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It pains me to say this, but the Steelers have just been better than the Bengals in every phase of football and from an organizational standpoint over the past few years.

Of course they beat us on the field, but they are also drafting and getting better players and have better systems on the field. Thats what really worries me. Their offensive line was built over the past few years to be one of the best in the NFL, ours has fallen flat on its face. They reloaded at receiver with JuJu, Jesse James, and now Vance McDonald. We have John Ross who has serious durability and ability concerns. Their best offensive player decides he doesnt want to play so they plug in a rookie James Connor who is tearing it up.

Hard to argue or disagree. I will say to date they have been extremely lucky with starters missing games due to injury. These things seem to even out, so no surprise if their injuries happen sooner than later. By playoff time due to injury, they could loo entirely different. But, we also had a lead against them with about 1 minute to go, if they are great (which they look great right now), then we are not so bad either.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:36 AM)Synric Wrote: The Steelers dominated in the trenches last night...and that's how you win football games.

I agree, it all starts in the trenches and OL and DL of the Steelers is better than our 2 lines.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: I disagree they are drafting better. The Vance McDonald pickup does seem to be working out, but that was after a failed attempt at TE with Ladarius Green. They have had a good amount of continuity across their O line for a while which has helped along with Ben obviously. To me it comes down to they schematically and coaching wise are better than us more than anything. 

The Bengals basically gave up an entire draft in 2015. Uzama, Kroft, and Shaw are the only guys to somewhat contribute from that draft and all of them are just meh. 

2015 was a terrible draft, its killing them now. Other than that, though....they have been OK recently. Still too early to completely tell. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:37 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hard to argue or disagree. I will say to date they have been extremely lucky with starters missing games due to injury. These things seem to even out, so no surprise if their injuries happen sooner than later. By playoff time due to injury, they could loo entirely different. But, we also had a lead against them with about 1 minute to go, if they are great (which they look great right now), then we are not so bad either.

I agree with you. The Bengals have been KILLED with injuries and havent had their full, healthy squad peaking yet. Im not sure that actually happens this year to be honest. The Steelers are peaking right now, absolutely. Lets hope its too soon.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:37 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hard to argue or disagree. I will say to date they have been extremely lucky with starters missing games due to injury. These things seem to even out, so no surprise if their injuries happen sooner than later. By playoff time due to injury, they could loo entirely different. But, we also had a lead against them with about 1 minute to go, if they are great (which they look great right now), then we are not so bad either.

Only difference is they find a way to win and we, well you know.
Reply/Quote
Theres one big difference between these two teams. Mike Brown vs Rooney family. Its that simple.

Steelers look to win a championship every season and the Bengals would like to but being competitive is just good enough.

Proof? Look at the decisions the Bengals have made with Brown at the helm. Its that simple. If there is a hell Paul Browns hell would be watching his son run his team for eternity LOL
Reply/Quote
You can talk about Oline and coaching all you want, but Ben went 22 for 25 328 Yds 5 TD 0 Int last night. Their leading rusher had only 65 Yds. It’s mostly Ben.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can talk about Oline and coaching all you want, but Ben went 22 for 25 328 Yds 5 TD 0 Int last night. Their leading rusher had only 65 Yds. It’s mostly Ben.

It's Ben, the offensive line, the weapons he has at receiver, the offensive scheme, and their defense (which has been playing MUCH better as of late). It's more than just Ben. Dude had an eternity to throw last night. You put Andy in that pocket with those weapons on the outside and he has 5 TDs. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:39 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Bengals basically gave up an entire draft in 2015. Uzama, Kroft, and Shaw are the only guys to somewhat contribute from that draft and all of them are just meh. 

2015 was a terrible draft, its killing them now. Other than that, though....they have been OK recently. Still too early to completely tell. 

Have you looked at the Steelers drafts? Speaking of 2015, Bud Dupree and Jesse James are all that is left from that draft. Frankly we have just been better overall at drafting, however their 2017 class is looking really promising but then again our 2017 class isn't too bad itself. 
Reply/Quote
I thought it was evident the Steelers were better than the Bengals. It was expected before the season started and it's panning out that way. The Bengals were not good the past two years and definitely picked up (at least) a couple good draft picks in Bates, Hubbard, and (maybe?) Price to help get the team back to being a perennial playoff contender. But they aren't quite there yet and anyone who thought that before the season started was just wishful thinking.

The Bengals still need a new RT, RG (if they don't try Westerman or Westerman doesn't do well there by EOY), LB, and maybe TE. I believe 2-3 of those can be achieved via the draft, but they probably need to address 1-2 of those spots (better) in FA to make the fans feel confident in those positions going into 2019 season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:50 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's Ben, the offensive line, the weapons he has at receiver, the offensive scheme, and their defense (which has been playing MUCH better as of late). It's more than just Ben. Dude had an eternity to throw last night. You put Andy in that pocket with those weapons on the outside and he has 5 TDs. 

He does have 2 great weapons at WR (so do we) I agree, and his line gets away with holding like crazy, but I’m not playing the swap QB’s game. I don’t think Dalton magically turns into a HOF QB if he’s on the Steelers.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought it was evident the Steelers were better than the Bengals. It was expected before the season started and it's panning out that way. The Bengals were not good the past two years and definitely picked up (at least) a couple good draft picks in Bates, Hubbard, and (maybe?) Price to help get the team back to being a perennial playoff contender. But they aren't quite there yet and anyone who thought that before the season started was just wishful thinking.

The Bengals still need a new RT, RG (if they don't try Westerman or Westerman doesn't do well there by EOY), LB, and maybe TE. I believe 2-3 of those can be achieved via the draft, but they probably need to address 1-2 of those spots (better) in FA to make the fans feel confident in those positions going into 2019 season.

Good point, I thought we were two years away from playoff contention and I think the quick start skewed a lot of people's expectations. I feel like 9 games was kind of the ceiling coming in to the year and that is still attainable and a good place to be after being a top 10 pick and the 12th pick the last two years.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:41 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Only difference is they find a way to win and we, well you know.

They have built an internal culture of winning regardless of injuries or whatever. This team with the tree sloth at the top of the tree has done the opposite. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
I don’t believe in long rebuilds in the NFL. You can go from bad to contender quicker than any other sport. Look at the Eagles and Rams.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:39 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Bengals basically gave up an entire draft in 2015. Uzama, Kroft, and Shaw are the only guys to somewhat contribute from that draft and all of them are just meh. 

The Bengals off season finally showed some signs of righting the wrongs (bad drafts selections) by signing Glenn. The good/great teams like the Pats or Steelers seem to find that missing safety (Mitchell years ago or missing TE like McDonald) or Pats getting Gordon, Patterson and McCourty. They analyze weakness faster and then fix it.

Reply/Quote