Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
The Steelers are just better than the Bengals
(11-09-2018, 06:01 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: The Steelers have the mental edge on us. Its gotten worse since the playoff loss. As a team, we have just as much talent. A mental edge makes a huge difference.

This.  And it is really hard to understand.

I am  big Univ of Tennessee fan, and Florida absolutely owns us.  Even when we have more talent they find a way to beat us.  Many times it seems like dumb luck, but it always goes their way.  Infuriating.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 07:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.  And it is really hard to understand.

I am  big Univ of Tennessee fan, and Florida absolutely owns us.  Even when we have more talent they find a way to beat us.  Many times it seems like dumb luck, but it always goes their way.  Infuriating.

Pitt wins the line of scrimmage. That's the difference.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 03:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Somebody get ahold of Mikey on his flip phone, or try his pager ?

LMAO

[Image: Pdw8eD2.jpg]

I believe he still uses this one.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 06:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think Mikey is oblivious to how the fans feel. I think deep down in his core he just doesn't care. He's a rich guy and will continue to be rich regardless of how the Bengals do. And in the end the only thing he sees is $$$$$$$.

[Image: giphy.gif]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You can talk about Oline and coaching all you want, but Ben went 22 for 25 328 Yds 5 TD 0 Int last night. Their leading rusher had only 65 Yds. It’s mostly Ben.

I had Antonio Brown on my fantasy team a few seasons back.... He's hot garbage without Ben.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 07:55 PM)jason Wrote: I had Antonio Brown on my fantasy team a few seasons back.... He's hot garbage without Ben.

AJ Green would be garbage with Landry Jones throwing the ball.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 06:20 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Our offense is good enough to play with anyone. Our defense is our weakness and unless Austin pulls a miracle, its going to continue to be our weakness. I just cant see us being in the same category as the top teams. We are much improved from last year on offense, but our defense has regressed badly so far. Most yards given up in NFL history is a terrible statistic to be on pace for lol. Ugh.

We are close tho, and could still make some noise this season. I hope we do. Never give up!

I'd love to believe this, but our offense is definitely not good enough to play with anyone. Since Week 5:

Yds/drive: 29.35 (27th)
Pts/drive: 1.74 (25th)
TDs/drive: 0.21 (20th)
Punts/drive: 0.488 (30th)

That's... not good. Maybe at the beginning of the year we could hang with anyone, but there is no way our team could match the explosion of teams like the Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Chargers.. they just make more plays than us.

Hopefully we have pieces for the future, though.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 08:28 PM)thillan Wrote: I'd love to believe this, but our offense is definitely not good enough to play with anyone. Since Week 5:

That's... not good. Maybe at the beginning of the year we could hang with anyone, but there is no way our team could match the explosion of teams like the Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Chargers.. they just make more plays than us.

Hopefully Lazor knows these stats and has figured out a way to fix it. 

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 08:28 PM)thillan Wrote: I'd love to believe this, but our offense is definitely not good enough to play with anyone. Since Week 5:

I cant deny that we have slacked off at times for sure and now with AJ out I dont see us being able to do very well at all, but we have shown flashes of greatness this season. Just obviously not consistent yet. The OL is a year away as long as they make the right moves. Whether they make the right moves remains to be seen, but the past offseason was pretty nice overall. Im most worried about the D. I think the offense is good enough to be a playoff team, but not with a historically bad D. I hope I'm wrong but I dont see it happening this year. The Stealers and a whole bunch of others are better this year.
Reply/Quote
Wyche Wrote:Oh, I absolutely agree.  They effed up to the point where it had to be fixed in one offseason, and it just wasn't feasible.  The removal of Piano Paul.....FINALLY....was a huge step in the right direction, now they just have to get the proper personnel.  I said at the beginning of the season that 9-7 is the ceiling for this team.....and considering the last two years, that isn't too bad.  They absolutely MUST be aggressive in the coming offseason to give our aging core of players a chance to finally have some success.

Agree 100% about being aggressive this upcoming offseason. People say were the second youngest team in the NFL and will only get better with time but the reality is the Core guys like Green, Atkins, Dunlap ect. are only getting older and when we have to replace them we will basically be in another rebuild. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: According to PFF from '07 through '15 the Bengals O-line was the best in the league at pass blocking.

In 2009 our opening day O-line featured 3 starters (Roland, Livings, Cook) who were undrafted free agents with a combined 13 games played in the NFL (3 starts).  Luckily PA was able to coach up a player who had been cut by two teams in 2 years (Mathis) and a second year 4th round pick (Collins).

I am sure that is exactly what Paul asked for Rolleyes

Let's not forget PA messed up by letting Villanueva go. He's now doing very well with the effing Steelers. 
Reply/Quote

Since week 5? Isn't that only 3 games? Considering 1/3rd of those games would be the Chiefs debacle, and you also have a Steelers game in there, I wouldn't read too much into it. We aren't playing the Steelers or prime-time this week. 

We've dropped 798 yards and 52 first downs on the 2 AFC South teams we've faced thus far (Panthers and Bucs).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 11:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It pains me to say this, but the Steelers have just been better than the Bengals in every phase of football and from an organizational standpoint over the past few years.

Of course they beat us on the field, but they are also drafting and getting better players and have better systems and schemes on the field. Thats what really worries me. Their offensive line was built over the past few years to be one of the best in the NFL, ours has fallen flat on its face. They reloaded at receiver with JuJu, Jesse James, and now Vance McDonald. We have John Ross who has serious durability and ability concerns. Their best offensive player decides he doesnt want to play so they plug in a rookie James Connor who is tearing it up.

Their defense is rounding into form and is taking off...ours is self destructing. Someone in that organization is doing a hell of a job with player personnel and scouting because that team just continues to reload and get it right while we continue to tread water.

This isn't a thread to build the Steelers up, its a thread to compare. The Steelers are going to be REAAAALLY good up until they lose the stability of Ben at QB and even after that im not sure that they don't go out and somehow find another HOF QB to replace him.

It all starts with the owner. We have Mikey Brown and there's no worse owner in all of professional sports.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: With Austin and Haslett on our coaching staff? Yeah, they are better, but we have just as good of players and all
we need to do is draft a playmaking LB'er, a couple good Lineman and a playmaking TE. Get rid of Austin, Haslett,
add some decent coaches and we will be better than them. The Pig won't be around much longer and their Defense
is not all that great. They had a good night last night but Cam gave them a TD and the only one on Offense playing
with any heart was McCaffrey.

Tee hee.

Good luck with all of that! Hilarious
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 02:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You know...it's possible...but not really because if you look at the stats...the Steelers almost outgained us 2:1

Steelers/Bengals

Passing Yards 369/213
Rushing Yards 112/62
TOP 34/25
Yards per Play 7.2/4.7

There is NOTHING in those statistics that say the Bengals should win that game. Generally the Steelers always run the ball when we play them and we can't.

Yet we always leave the game feeling like if we made 1 or 2 more plays we would have won.

All I am saying is that the Bengals were winning that game with over a minute left in the game.  It is not like the Bengals got destroyed by the Steelers.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 02:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Disagree. I personally "hate" the Steelers because they constantly play dirty, and it is across many players of the team. It's never been just one particular individual (like a lot of people view Burfict).
I don't "hate" the Patriots but I hate the Steelers because of this reason.

I hate the Steelers too man, they are dirty and just get away with it.  Now they are a bunch of cry baby whiners.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 08:59 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: All I am saying is that the Bengals were winning that game with over a minute left in the game.  It is not like the Bengals got destroyed by the Steelers.  

You're right.....and didn't Erickson set up the offense with a good return or two, which would skew those yardage numbers a tad?

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 09:06 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I hate the Steelers too man, they are dirty and just get away with it.  Now they are a bunch of cry baby whiners.  

The whining is really the last straw for me. I mean, the dirty play was bad enough, but to incessantly whine everytime you get a little of your own medicine? I literally can't even stand the sight of them now.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 10:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: You're right.....and didn't Erickson set up the offense with a good return or two, which would skew those yardage numbers a tad?

Yes, and they left too much time on the clock.  Better clock management and Bengals could have won.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 10:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: The whining is really the last straw for me. I mean, the dirty play was bad enough, but to incessantly whine everytime you get a little of your own medicine? I literally can't even stand the sight of them now.

They break jaw of two Bengal players, destroyed the knee of Palmer, Ju-Ju wuss hits Burfict, Shazier spear heads Gio and the NFL says nothing, then they whine like little school girls.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote