Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
{The Ultimate 'ALL THINGS MARVIN LEWIS' Mega Thread}
(01-06-2016, 01:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If we come out flat and look like shit then he needs to go.  If we play well but McCarron struggles and we lose then no reason to get rid of Marvin.

Exactly this.  And I am someone who has openly questioned if Marvin is the guy to take this team all the way.  If the team plays well on defense, looks mentally prepared to play, does not give up, then I think you keep him.  I don't see how you fire the guy after a 12 win season when he does not have his quarterback playing the game.

If Dalton was healthy and they lose then I would argue it's time for him to move on.  I just don't think you do it with Dalton sitting on the bench though.  Regardless, it's not going to matter because the Bengals are going to win this one!
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 08:25 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I'm at the point that if we lose and they let Hue walk, i'm walking too. I don't feel like I should have to defend my fandom because I have been one for over 35 years. I recently just gave up on the Reds as well but that has more to do with the state of baseball than the team itself.

It is what it is. I have put a lot of time, money, and emotion into this team with very little reward in return. And i'm sick of it. It's not only the Bengals PO record that gets to me it's the PT record as well. All of these problems have already been documented on this forum.

In my heart I gave up on Marvin after the Chargers loss. My official opinion of him is like many on here and that is he is a fabulous judge of talent and damn fine regular season 1pm coach. He brought Cincy out of the depths of hell and for that I will always remember him fondly.

However, regardless of all this he must win on Saturday or replaced by Hue if he doesn't or i'm out. I'll go watch the local HS teams instead.

(of coarse i could change my mind about all of this because like I said, been a fan a long time and walking away from this may be impossible at this point in my life. But damn it, as of the past few months this is where I stand)

Win the ***** game Marvin.

Ok you are going to give up on the team if Marvin stays if we lose since he can;t wins playoff games... but you are going to stay with the team if they fire Marvin and hire Hue who has zero wins in playoffs as a coach and we don;t know how really good a regular season coach he is, he might not even get us to the playoffs.  Makes no sense.. lets hire Couglin, we know he can win playoff games and super bowls.. If we are going to fire Marvin for playoff losses.. makes sense to hire someone with playoff wins.. maybe we go after Fisher with the Rams or Payton with New Orleans..

My point is, if we fire Marvin for lack of playoff success we have to go after someone that has proven playoff success... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 02:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Ok you are going to give up on the team if Marvin stays if we lose since he can;t wins playoff games... but you are going to stay with the team if they fire Marvin and hire Hue who has zero wins in playoffs as a coach and we don;t know how really good a regular season coach he is, he might not even get us to the playoffs.  Makes no sense.. lets hire Couglin, we know he can win playoff games and super bowls.. If we are going to fire Marvin for playoff losses.. makes sense to hire someone with playoff wins.. maybe we go after Fisher with the Rams or Payton with New Orleans..

My point is, if we fire Marvin for lack of playoff success we have to go after someone that has proven playoff success... 

Jeff Fisher has 6 winning seasons in 21 seasons of coaching.... I'll stick with Marvin thank you very much.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 04:02 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Jeff Fisher has 6 winning seasons in 21 seasons of coaching.... I'll stick with Marvin thank you very much.

I would also
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 02:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Ok you are going to give up on the team if Marvin stays if we lose since he can;t wins playoff games... but you are going to stay with the team if they fire Marvin and hire Hue who has zero wins in playoffs as a coach and we don;t know how really good a regular season coach he is, he might not even get us to the playoffs.  Makes no sense.. lets hire Couglin, we know he can win playoff games and super bowls.. If we are going to fire Marvin for playoff losses.. makes sense to hire someone with playoff wins.. maybe we go after Fisher with the Rams or Payton with New Orleans..

No we have to go with someone who hasn't proved they can't win in the playoffs thus far.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 04:02 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Jeff Fisher has 6 winning seasons in 21 seasons of coaching.... I'll stick with Marvin thank you very much.

Yeah Fisher sucks. I wouldn't mind Sean Payton though. I just think (if Marv loses yet again) we need someone who provides a fresh perspective.

Not necessarily someone with a lengthy track record of playoff success. We have the talent to win in the playoffs. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If we lose, then I'd like to move on from Marvin, but we won't.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 04:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah Fisher sucks. I wouldn't mind Sean Payton though. I just think (if Marv loses yet again) we need someone who provides a fresh perspective.

Not necessarily someone with a lengthy track record of playoff success. We have the talent to win in the playoffs. 

that would be taking a step back, we have a total proven coach in getting to playoffs, why step back with a coach with no playoff resume... 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 06:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: that would be taking a step back, we have a total proven coach in getting to playoffs, why step back with a coach with no playoff resume... 

Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll. What do these coaches have in common?

None had previous playoff success as a Head Coach.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 06:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll. What do these coaches have in common?

I can just give you a even bigger list of those who failed with no experience also.  My point is if you are so concerned about winning in playoffs,, you are better off hiring a coach that has proven to have gotten there and has won there especially with this team.  why go out on risk it with a coach that has no proven record.

By the way.. if Marvin wins this Saturday, would you then extend his contract for winning a playoff game without his MVP QB ?
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis is currently tied with Jim Mora at 6 consecutive playoff losses in NFL career, and the Bengals are in first place with four consecutive one and done playoff losses. They will be all alone in first place in all those categories if they lose again Saturday.

Marvin Lewis coached himself out of a job long, long, ago!! If he loses again Saturday there are no longer any viable excuses for even the biggest of homers to defend Marvin remaining the Bengals head coach.

My hope is all you true Bengals fans would give up tickets, merchandise, and email either the sales department or organization and let them know you will no longer financially support the team unless Marvin is removed, and they show a commitment to winning in the postseason!

I don't care if its a new coach, or someone with playoff success, just as long as it is not Marvin. I personally would go after Tom Coughlin, try to coax someone out of retirement, or give Hue the reigns.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 09:38 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: Marvin Lewis is currently tied with Jim Mora at 6 consecutive playoff losses in NFL career, and the Bengals are in first place with four consecutive one and done playoff losses. They will be all alone in first place in all those categories if they lose again Saturday.

Marvin Lewis coached himself out of a job long, long, ago!! If he loses again Saturday there are no longer any viable excuses for even the biggest of homers to defend Marvin remaining the Bengals head coach.

My hope is all you true Bengals fans would give up tickets, merchandise, and email either the sales department or organization and let them know you will no longer financially support the team unless Marvin is removed, and they show a commitment to winning in the postseason!

I don't care if its a new coach, or someone with playoff success, just as long as it is not Marvin. I personally would go after Tom Coughlin, try to coax someone out of retirement, or give Hue the reigns.

Actually just the opposite, Marvin has coached himself into being a good coach.. I would get tired of listing coaches that have failed in creating a winning team, with division championships and playoffs on this post.  Yes he has had zero success in playoffs as a head coach,, though he has a ring as an assistant coach but you act that is the only criteria for a good successful coach.. WRONG...  

I will take 112 wins, 7 playoff appearances 3 or 4 Division Titles  over many of the coaches that have coached over the years in the NFL....

I understand people wanting to move on from him,, that comes with the territory.. many good coaches get let go or forced out but to act like Marvin Lewis has not established himself as a good coach in the NFL in this 13 years is just being blind .

Finally true fans don;t give up on their team... does not mean they can;t be unhappy and want change.. but what you are asking would not only hurt the organization, the players but also the city that the team resides in.. If you want to be that type of fan move somewhere that is really bad like Buffalo.. longest run at not making the playoffs in the NFL something like 18 to 20 years....
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 09:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I can just give you a even bigger list of those who failed with no experience also.  My point is if you are so concerned about winning in playoffs,, you are better off hiring a coach that has proven to have gotten there and has won there especially with this team.  why go out on risk it with a coach that has no proven record.

By the way.. if Marvin wins this Saturday, would you then extend his contract for winning a playoff game without his MVP QB ?

The list of retreads that fail with new teams is lengthy as well.

All I'm saying is that there are outstanding candidates who haven't coached in the NFL yet, let alone won a playoff game.

If Marv wins a playoff game, absolutely I'd want him to get an extension.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 06:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll. What do these coaches have in common?

That would be a BINGO.
Let me remind some of you guys that the ultimate goal of every sport franchise at every level of competition is about winning championships. Not just making the playoffs. Just making the playoffs all the time is very much like being "teased" by your woman without not having any "release"...ever. 
[Image: AC138424l.jpg]

I'm fine that some of you are fine with that (mediocrity) but i'm just not anymore and i'm willing to risk just getting to the playoffs for it. AKA SUPERBOWL OR BUST

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 10:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The list of retreads that fail with new teams is lengthy as well.

All I'm saying is that there are outstanding candidates who haven't coached in the NFL yet, let alone won a playoff game.

If Marv wins a playoff game, absolutely I'd want him to get an extension.

good point the retreads.. I totally understand the frustration with Marvin and playoffs but I also understand when a team reacts in a way they think is helping their team but are not with letting a coach go.

I will give you a good example on college level,, Miss. State had an established coach that was effective in getting Miss. State to the top tier of SEC and making the tournament but they were not that successful in the tournament and they decide to let him go a few years ago.

Well after three years they just fired last year the new coach and are on their second coach and are horrible.  
Reply/Quote

Wow seven coaches out of the 70 something that have been hired over the last decade.

Why not start Wenning at QB, he has never lost a single playoff game.

Brilliant logic.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 10:05 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I'm fine that some of you are fine with that (mediocrity) but i'm just not anymore and i'm willing to risk just getting to the playoffs for it. AKA SUPERBOWL OR BUST

1.  No one here is fine with mediocrity.  We all want to win it all.  We just disagree on what is the best way to get there.

2.  I have noticed that most of the people who try to claim they are superior because they "do not accept mediocrity" are just insecure and trying to compensate for the mediocrity they have accepted in their personal lives.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 09:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually just the opposite, Marvin has coached himself into being a good coach.. I would get tired of listing coaches that have failed in creating a winning team, with division championships and playoffs on this post.  Yes he has had zero success in playoffs as a head coach,, though he has a ring as an assistant coach but you act that is the only criteria for a good successful coach.. WRONG...  

I will take 112 wins, 7 playoff appearances 3 or 4 Division Titles  over many of the coaches that have coached over the years in the NFL....

I understand people wanting to move on from him,, that comes with the territory.. many good coaches get let go or forced out but to act like Marvin Lewis has not established himself as a good coach in the NFL in this 13 years is just being blind .

Finally true fans don;t give up on their team... does not mean they can;t be unhappy and want change.. but what you are asking would not only hurt the organization, the players but also the city that the team resides in.. If you want to be that type of fan move somewhere that is really bad like Buffalo.. longest run at not making the playoffs in the NFL something like 18 to 20 years....

All one has to do is read about two of your post to see...you have ZERO credibility (Hey, same as the amount of Marvin's playoff wins!! Who knew?!?!?!)

Yes many coaches fail to win games, divisions, and playoff games every year. You're right it would take forever to research and list them all, however the vast majority of all those coaches had crappy and less talented teams!!! The far majority of coaches who have been to the playoffs multiple times with GOOD teams have WINS in the postseason.

This makes Marvin's failures in the playoffs a far greater crime because he has had very good teams that underperformed and were not properly prepared.

My grandfather, rest his soul, always taught upon me from a young age, "there is no greater tragedy in life, than a man to waste his talents."

Marvin Lewis has now wasted six very talented Cincinnati Bengals teams, and counting. . . .
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 10:30 PM)Sho Wrote: This makes Marvin's failures in the playoffs a far greater crime because he has had very good teams that underperformed and were not properly prepared.

Marvin Lewis has now wasted six very talented Cincinnati Bengals teams, and counting. . . .

Lewis has only had the better team once when he lost a playoff game.  Chargers in '13.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 10:22 PM)Essex Johnso Wrote: Well after three years they just fired last year the new coach and are on their second coach and are horrible.  

At least they tried though. I have a friend who is a Browns fan and he flat out told me that my situation as a Bengals fan is far worse than his because he has no hope and is able to relax. He knows his teams sucks and has come to terms with it while my team drives me crazy all the time. I thought that was the craziest thing until he pointed out that neither team will be remembered (outside of their own fan base of coarse) for what each one is doing right now in the long run. Nobody remembers that Cleveland were once the best team in the NFL and the Steelers were terrible before the SB era. Outside, they don't remember the 90's Bengals like we do.

Reply/Quote