Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 2.77 Average
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread}
(11-26-2018, 11:49 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I would say just lose out and take the best QB in the draft, but man...the 2019 QB group apparently sucks ass. Justin Herbert and Dwayne Haskins are currently the only ones who look like they could be first round picks at QB.

Of course, the same was said of Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton in the 2011 NFL draft...and then Ponder and Locker were taken in the first as well (not that either of those picks went well...).

Keep an eye on Daniel jones out of Duke. You will hear a lot about him if he declares and he will be a riser that could be similar to Wentz in the way that he jumps to the top of the draft by the time the draft rolls around. People will fall in love with his work at the line and his decision making, but his arm isn't going to wow you. He will fit into a west coast scheme, so look for maybe the Raiders to be in play if they move on from Carr. 
Reply/Quote
It's a shame this guy isn't a few inches taller

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211452796
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:56 AM)BengalChris Wrote: He's playing better than Dalton right now. So what does that make Dalton?

Ridiculous statement....
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:43 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I liked what I saw from him, more exciting than McCarron for sure.  He should have had two pick sixes that were dropped, and Tate bailed him out on a couple of throws with acrobatic catches on errant throws (almost an insane one that the ground knocked loose), and Boyd on another one.  However, he settled in and played admirably.  With some time with the first team, he may settle in and play even better.

That said, Dalton DID set up our only score with a nice run of his own, and then Mixon followed suit.  It was nice to see Ross make some plays too.  I knew we were toast when they said Glenn was out.

Ogbuehi was not bad yesterday. Allowing Myles Garrett only one sack was a hell of a lot better than I expected.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:56 AM)BengalChris Wrote: He's playing better than Dalton right now. So what does that make Dalton?

Driskell is not playing better than Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: Jeff Driskell is a solid back up who can win a game or two. His play yesterday was not nearly as good as the stats would have you believe though. Tempo, circus catches and some dropped interceptions made it look a lot better than it was when you throw the tape on again.

Dalton has had his share of woulda coulda shoulda picks and circus catches by WRs over the years.

Not really pumping up Driskell... just sayin!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Ridiculous statement....

Dalton

10/17 100 yds 1 TD 1 int 70.7 PR

Driskel

17/29 155 yds 1 TD 0 int 84.7 PR

Driskel was better than Dalton yesterday. That’s a fact. People can point to the dropped INTs Driskel should have had but something tells me those same people are probably pretty quick to forget picks that are dropped against Dalton most of the time.

I’m not saying Driskel is a better QB than Dalton, I’m just saying he was yesterday.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:23 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Dalton has had his share of woulda coulda shoulda picks and circus catches by WRs over the years.

Not really pumping up Driskell... just sayin!

Hell, he’s made a living throwing high passes that AJ saves him on.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ogbuehi was not bad yesterday. Allowing Myles Garrett only one sack was a hell of a lot better than I expected.

Driskell helped him out of a couple more though. That said, yes, better than I expected. I only listened to the 1st half, watched the 2nd, but a friend told me Fish didn't play too bad.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dalton

10/17 100 yds 1 TD 1 int 70.7 PR

Driskel

17/29 155 yds 1 TD 0 int 84.7 PR

Driskel was better than Dalton yesterday. That’s a fact. People can point to the dropped INTs Driskel should have had but something tells me those same people are probably pretty quick to forget picks that are dropped against Dalton most of the time.

I’m not saying Driskel is a better QB than Dalton, I’m just saying he was yesterday.

Driskell was playing against a defense that was just protecting a 21 point lead.

Same reason he had passer ratings over 100 against the Chiefs and Saints.  Things are much easier against a soft defense.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Driskell was playing against a defense that was just protecting a 21 point lead.

Same reason he had passer ratings over 100 against the Chiefs and Saints.  Things are much easier against a soft defense.

If we wouldn’t have taken 37 penalties on the final drive he would probably had us within one score. Discredit it all you want, but the kid played admirably coming off the bench.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Driskell was playing against a defense that was just protecting a 21 point lead.

Dalton played against them protecting a 28 point lead before he scored. Dalton also played against teams protecting 35 and 44 point leads and couldn't move the ball. Dalton played against a Bears and Vikings team last year protecting huge leads, could not score. If they are such soft defenses, why doesn't the STARTING QB move the ball? Or is it just fitting your narrative to use that excuse? Yeah Driskel may not be the answer, but right now, neither is Andy. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:34 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Dalton played against them protecting a 28 point lead before he scored. Dalton also played against teams protecting 35 and 44 point leads and couldn't move the ball. Dalton played against a Bears and Vikings team last year protecting huge leads, could not score. If they are such soft defenses, why doesn't the STARTING QB move the ball? Or is it just fitting your narrative to use that excuse? Yeah Driskel may not be the answer, but right now, neither is Andy. 

Because Driskall has ONLY played in blowouts while Dalton has played better than Driskell did yesterday in games that were not blowouts.
Reply/Quote
Is this team/fanbase ready for a full rebuild?
Because unfortunately, the core of Dalton, Green, Dunlap, and Atkins probably won't have another 3 years together.
Sitting between 6-9 wins constantly won't be enough to build a true contender either.
So this team likely has to either go all-in this coming offseason with FA and trading up in the draft to get those last 4-5 missing pieces or start thinking about a true rebuild and trade away some of the talent on the team to free up cap space and accumulate early-round picks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Driskel,on the final drive had everything working against him.Three offsides penalties,defense in his face nearly every play.In my opinion he is a better guarterback than most people think.He can definitely buy more time in the pocket than Andy.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because Driskall has ONLY played in blowouts while Dalton has played better than Driskell did yesterday in games that were not blowouts.

What's wrong with giving Driskel a "shot?" Yeah it may fail, but our starter isn't getting anything done. We can throw all the excuses out there for him, but the fact remains, we have not been a good offense since 2015, and Andy is not really offsetting anything. He doesn't make this team better. He is what he is. Over the past 7 weeks we have 8 Touchdowns where the drive is more than 60 yards. A little over one drive a game where we score on a sustained drive with Andy under center. Driskel has 3 of those drives in approximately 6 of his drives this season. Soft coverage or not, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot this week. If it fails, it's no worse than what we've been doing. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: Jeff Driskell is a solid back up who can win a game or two. His play yesterday was not nearly as good as the stats would have you believe though. Tempo, circus catches and some dropped interceptions made it look a lot better than it was when you throw the tape on again.

Sounds like a typical Andy Dalton game. 

Im not saying that Driskell is the answer, but I think this team would be foolish to not use the rest of the year to evaluate him, especially with Andy coming off contract in a couple years. 

Driskell was the number 1 rated pro style quarterback coming out of high school and tore it up for a year at Florida until a series of unfortunate events. He was making throws yesterday that Andy has been scared to make all year. The dropped INT was because Tate fell down too, BTW. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

The Browns weren't playing a soft defense. Driskell was getting blitzed like 50% of the time and the Browns were still playing press coverage. Also, its a whole hell of a lot easier for the pass rush to pin their ears back and rush the QB when they basically know a pass is coming every down.
Reply/Quote
Also, I just want to be clear...im not an Andy basher. I think hes an average quarterback with a low ceiling and his success depends on other players (AJ, offensive line, other offensive weapons).

Im ready to move on from Andy. Hes just not great and im not sold that the Bengals as an organization can win a Super Bowl with him as QB. Maybe a different organization, but not the Bengals. The Bengals only shot at winning a Super Bowl is getting an elite QB. That can mask all of their other deficiencies from an organizational standpoint.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Is this team/fanbase ready for a full rebuild?
Because unfortunately, the core of Dalton, Green, Dunlap, and Atkins probably won't have another 3 years together.
Sitting between 6-9 wins constantly won't be enough to build a true contender either.
So this team likely has to either go all-in this coming offseason with FA and trading up in the draft to get those last 4-5 missing pieces or start thinking about a true rebuild and trade away some of the talent on the team to free up cap space and accumulate early-round picks.

Thats kind of where im at. The rebuild is coming and it needs to happen. Thats why im all for the evaluation of Driskell. The Bengals are winning anything this year. 
Reply/Quote