Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 2.77 Average
{The Ultimate ANDY DALTON Mega Thread}
(11-26-2018, 05:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I count 14 possibilities. Some of these teams you give a firm "No" to, can't possibly be 100% content with their situations.

Imagine my surprise that you didn't change any Yes to No with your what ifs. For instance "I think they will look to draft a young QB". 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 05:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We have no heart.

Dalton's career passer rating ranks 11th among active players. 10th among QB's who didn't pull a Rick Ankiel and are actually still starting.

Changes in bold.

I count 14 possibilities. Some of these teams you give a firm "No" to, can't possibly be 100% content with their situations.

2011 rank 17

2012 rank 17

2013 rank 17

2014 rank 25

2015 rank 2

2016 rank 15

2017 rank 17

2018 rank 22

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/qb-rating-nfl?season_id=16

That's an average of 17 among the starters. You cant just go by active qbs. You have to go by season rankings. Some players aren't in the league this year that played in the previous years

You then take into account his bad playoffs and that probably drops him down 5 more ranking spots, which puts him around 22 in the league. 
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Sounds like a typical Andy Dalton game. 

Im not saying that Driskell is the answer, but I think this team would be foolish to not use the rest of the year to evaluate him, especially with Andy coming off contract in a couple years. 

Driskell was the number 1 rated pro style quarterback coming out of high school and tore it up for a year at Florida until a series of unfortunate events. He was making throws yesterday that Andy has been scared to make all year. The dropped INT was because Tate fell down too, BTW. 

I couldn't agree more. Look I don't think Driskel is the answer either but I want him to play to see what we have.  This year is lost, i'd rather lose with Driskell and draft a QB in the first round.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 05:49 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: 2011 rank 17

2012 rank 17

2013 rank 17

2014 rank 25

2015 rank 2

2016 rank 15

2017 rank 17

2018 rank 22

That's an average of 17 among the starters. You cant just go by active qbs. You have to go by season rankings. Some players aren't in the league this year that played in the previous years

You then take into account his bad playoffs and that probably drops him down 5 more ranking spots, which puts him around 22 in the league. 

I've posted responses like this for years but the Dalton lovers figure out a way to make excuses for this or just say it's marvin's fault. lol
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 05:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Imagine my surprise that you didn't change any Yes to No with your what ifs. For instance "I think they will look to draft a young QB". 

The problem is, there doesn't seem to be any young QBs that wouldn't need a lot of polishing in this year's draft.  I'd like to blow up  the whole thing, ESPECIALLY these lame ass coaches, and get the Lawrence kid out of Clemson in a couple seasons.  Spend the next two years shedding salaries and getting draft picks and younger FA additions.  Seems to be working in Cleveland so far.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 05:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Imagine my surprise that you didn't change any Yes to No with your what ifs. For instance "I think they will look to draft a young QB". 

Sure, a lot of teams will ultimately go with the draft. That could be why I listed them (or left them listed) as a maybe. Just maybe.

(11-26-2018, 05:49 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: 2011 rank 17

2012 rank 17

2013 rank 17

2014 rank 25

2015 rank 2

2016 rank 15

2017 rank 17

2018 rank 22

Yeah the problem with looking at year to year rankings is that it doesn't account for all the one-shot wonders that rank above Andy on a yearly basis. You average up those rankings and think it makes Dalton the 22nd best QB, but half the guys that ranked above Dalton in various years aren't even in the league anymore, or are sitting on a bench (think Kaepernick, RGIII, Foles, Fitz, McCown, etc).

Career numbers give a more accurate representation of how a player has stacked up for his career (imagine that). The only issue with career rankings is that some younger QB's haven't had enough attemptes to qualify yet. But it certainly gives a better idea than averaging up year-to-year rankings in passer rating.

The only way you can fairly do it that way is to do the same with a bunch of current QB's and compare the average to Dalton. I think you'll be surprised by the average ranking of Stafford, Newton, Luck, etc.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 06:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: The problem is, there doesn't seem to be any young QBs that wouldn't need a lot of polishing in this year's draft.  I'd like to blow up  the whole thing, ESPECIALLY these lame ass coaches, and get the Lawrence kid out of Clemson in a couple seasons.  Spend the next two years shedding salaries and getting draft picks and younger FA additions.  Seems to be working in Cleveland so far.....
Pretty much any QB coming out of college is going to need polishing. But that doesn't mean folks would prefer to start a middle of the road QB entering his 9th year. 

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 06:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sure, a lot of teams will ultimately go with the draft. That could be why I listed them (or left them listed) as a maybe. Just maybe.

Yeah the problem with looking at year to year rankings is that it doesn't account for all the one-shot wonders that rank above Andy on a yearly basis. You average up those rankings and think it makes Dalton the 22nd best QB, but half the guys that ranked above Dalton in various years aren't even in the league anymore, or are sitting on a bench (think Kaepernick, RGIII, Foles, Fitz, McCown, etc).

Career numbers give a more accurate representation of how a player has stacked up for his career (imagine that). The only issue with career rankings is that some younger QB's haven't had enough attemptes to qualify yet. But it certainly gives a better idea than averaging up year-to-year rankings in passer rating.

The only way you can fairly do it that way is to do the same with a bunch of current QB's and compare the average to Dalton. I think you'll be surprised by the average ranking of Stafford, Newton, Luck, etc.

Speaking of 1 shot wonders. How about that 2015 season?

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 06:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: The problem is, there doesn't seem to be any young QBs that wouldn't need a lot of polishing in this year's draft.  I'd like to blow up  the whole thing, ESPECIALLY these lame ass coaches, and get the Lawrence kid out of Clemson in a couple seasons.  Spend the next two years shedding salaries and getting draft picks and younger FA additions.  Seems to be working in Cleveland so far.....

If it were up to me, I'd:

1. Blow up the whole staff
2. Hire a real GM (bye-bye Duke) and let him pick the Head Coach
3. Let the Coach completely fill out his staff
4. Strap Mikey to a chair and stuff a sock in his mouth
5. Trade Andy for whatever (not his fault, but lets start over) - Yes, the "Dalton lover" (are we 2 year olds here?) wants to trade Andy
6. Gut a good chunk of the roster (which Marv did in 2003)
7. Cut Burfict. His play isn't worth the trouble anymore.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Welp I guess everyone gets their wish uh. Dalton to IR.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 06:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Speaking of 1 shot wonders. How about that 2015 season?

Dalton has never been bad enough to be benched for a year or go out of the league entirely. Can't say the same of the other 1 shot wonders.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 10:50 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: I got to be honest I am Glad to see Andy Dalton to get hurt in the manner he did. It is nothing too serious, but it lets us know that we have a good solid Back UP and it might be the motivation Andy needs to get in the saddle and play a little bit harder.

Before All the Andy Dalton defenders come running, the guy did not get hurt like he will never be able to walk again or never be able to speak again or be able to see again, but I think it is a good thing for him to see the ball being moved down field and him not in the Game. If Driskel was in the entire Game good chance we would have been at least competitive.

So yeah I am Glad to see Andy Dalton get Hur...

I think Andy Dalton is one of the top tier people in the world but maybe this will change his game a bit.

Got your wish mate, back up is in.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 06:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sure, a lot of teams will ultimately go with the draft. That could be why I listed them (or left them listed) as a maybe. Just maybe.

There's a lot of qbs from the past that had long good careers that aren't in the league like Peyton Manning, Tony Romo or Carson Palmer.  They should definitely be included. Some had shorter careers like RG3 and Josh Freeman.  

You can only compare Dalton on a yearly basis , not active qb's , because it takes into account only starters that were playing each year that Dalton was starting.  

Whether they had long careers or short careers, whether they were good or bad is not important, what's important is that they were the starters at the same time Dalton was.  He is being compared only to his peers and nobody else.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 06:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Welp I guess everyone gets their wish uh. Dalton to IR.

Just stop it. Everyone was not wishing Dalton was going to IR. 

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 06:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just stop it. Everyone was not wishing Dalton was going to IR. 

Relax, I have been debating in mutiple threads with people that thought Driskell needed his shot. It was hyperbole but it was more than a few on team Driskell, especially away from this board in the general public.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 06:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just stop it. Everyone was not wishing Dalton was going to IR. 

What was the thread title again?
Reply/Quote
Dalton needs a good supporting cast and OL - the team knows this, everyone knows this yet they refused to give him a respectable OL and OC really. He would probably do OK for a team like the Jags
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Looking to see what the injury actually was to the Hand. I know they said not broken but I am not finding anything direct to state what happen.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 06:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: What was the thread title again?

Where you wishing Andy went to IR? Do you ever read the book or just the cover.

OP clearly stated he hopes it motivates Andy to return. I've no doubt there are those that are happy to see what Driskel can do; however, I have seen no one wish Andy ill-will.

But it is too late. The board will now be divided on this issue. There will be those that applaud everything Driskell does and there will be those that look for fault in everything Driskell does; as both sides will be desperate to "prove" their view. I simply tried to nip it in the bud. 

Reply/Quote
Sad day when fans root for their own players to get hurt.
Reply/Quote