Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The War on Disney
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10698061/Disneys-head-content-says-BUSINESS-decision-target-Gen-Z-LGBTQ-content.html

I don't care what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home, but for God sake leave the children alone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 09:46 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10698061/Disneys-head-content-says-BUSINESS-decision-target-Gen-Z-LGBTQ-content.html

I don't care what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home, but for God sake leave the children alone.

Oh no.  Mellow

Advertising and marketing goes after segments of america.  Mellow

What we ever do?  Mellow

All seriousness aside Gen Z ranges from 10-25 years old.

4th or 5th grade to 25 years old.

25 years old.  So talking about Gen Z covers a lot more than "the children".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 09:46 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10698061/Disneys-head-content-says-BUSINESS-decision-target-Gen-Z-LGBTQ-content.html

Is this about the video that was posted by Sled, as well? I don't like clicking on random YouTube links at work.

(04-08-2022, 09:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: Oh no.  Mellow

Advertising and marketing goes after segments of america.  Mellow

What we ever do?  Mellow

All seriousness aside Gen Z ranges from 10-25 years old.

4th or 5th grade to 25 years old.

25 years old.  So talking about Gen Z covers a lot more than "the children".

Not only that, but we know that it benefits our young people to be represented in the media they consume. Whatever their identity. We've talked about it in regards to race but it's also an issue for other identities. When a young person is questioning their identity, seeing characters represented in a positive way in the media they consume that represent what they are going through does so much for their mental health. We have the research that shows this.

We should have representation in our media that reflects society. God forbid that means recognizing that there are LGBTQ+ people in our society.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I will say I've noticed a lot more gay and interracial couples in commercials in a normalized setting as of late. I'm socially liberal, but I have to admit it is weird how weird it seems to finally see stuff like that normalized and not the focus of the commercial or played as a gimmick.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I will say I've noticed a lot more gay and interracial couples in commercials in a normalized setting as of late. I'm socially liberal, but I have to admit it is weird how weird it seems to finally see stuff like that normalized and not the focus of the commercial or played as a gimmick.

Yeah, getting away from it as a gimmick is the goal. Just having it as a part of the norm. Let's not make it a spectacle. It doesn't have to be the person's sole identity. I know a ton of gay guys in my industry because for some reason they are over-represented in accounting. I just know them as colleagues and them being gay is just one part of their identity. They are also parents, Washington sports fans, little league coaches, motorcycle riders, hikers, hunters, etc.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
It shouldn't be amazing to see a black man married to a white woman with biracial kids ordering a pizza in a commercial 55 years after the legalization of interracial marriage, but it is.

I've forgotten what this thread was originally about, but i bet it wasn't this.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It shouldn't be amazing to see a black man married to a white woman with biracial kids ordering a pizza in a commercial 55 years after the legalization of interracial marriage, but it is.

It's about conservatives trying to cancel Disney because they are overly sensitive to recognizing LGBTQ+ people are a part of our society.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I will say I've noticed a lot more gay and interracial couples in commercials in a normalized setting as of late. I'm socially liberal, but I have to admit it is weird how weird it seems to finally see stuff like that normalized and not the focus of the commercial or played as a gimmick.

I saw a meme.  It was a tombstone and said like 1955-2020, and the name was "White couples in commercials."  Thought it was kinda funny.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It shouldn't be amazing to see a black man married to a white woman with biracial kids ordering a pizza in a commercial 55 years after the legalization of interracial marriage, but it is.

What I took from that commercial is that Dominos thinks $3.00 is a good tip.  I'm going to save a lot.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

(04-08-2022, 11:12 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I saw a meme.  It was a tombstone and said like 1955-2020, and the name was "White couples in commercials."  Thought it was kinda funny.

Please, we all know that white couples on TV died in the 1950's the second I Love Lucy aired and they dared to show Lucy and Ricky having a happier marriage than Fred and Ethyl.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:30 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is this about the video that was posted by Sled, as well? I don't like clicking on random YouTube links at work.

Not only that, but we know that it benefits our young people to be represented in the media they consume. Whatever their identity. We've talked about it in regards to race but it's also an issue for other identities. When a young person is questioning their identity, seeing characters represented in a positive way in the media they consume that represent what they are going through does so much for their mental health. We have the research that shows this.

We should have representation in our media that reflects society. God forbid that means recognizing that there are LGBTQ+ people in our society.

(04-08-2022, 11:01 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's about conservatives trying to cancel Disney because they are overly sensitive to recognizing LGBTQ+ people are a part of our society.

100% This.

If they are even acknowledged it is seen as trying to destroy "values".

It reminds me of when gay marriage debates were going on.  Equal rights for them didn't mean less rights for anyone else.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 08:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See, it works just the same no matter which way you say it.  How about both of them just suck ass, and are sorry excuses for "news" organizations?

Oh yeah, both of them, ahem, suck ass.

But imho, they're not on the same level.
Eg. on FOX Tucker tries to mount defenses for Putin. That's the unique kind of ass-sucking.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 11:01 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's about conservatives trying to cancel Disney because they are overly sensitive to recognizing LGBTQ+ people are a part of our society.

Yeah, just keep conflating recognizine LGBTQ people with sexualizing children. That's what it's all about. Funny how much the polls disagree with you over this issue.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 12:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, just keep conflating recognizine LGBTQ people with sexualizing children. That's what it's all about. Funny how much the polls disagree with you over this issue.

What polls? The polls conducted on social media or some news organization's website? I would definitely use those in my research because of their validity.

I haven't seen someone explain to me how having LGBTQ+ characters is "sexualizing children" or given any examples as to how it does.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 12:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What polls? The polls conducted on social media or some news organization's website? I would definitely use those in my research because of their validity.

I haven't seen someone explain to me how having LGBTQ+ characters is "sexualizing children" or given any examples as to how it does.

Florida’s Parental Rights Bill Is Popular Even among Democrats | National Review

Quote:Florida’s Much-Smeared Parental Rights Bill Is Popular, Even among Democrats

By MADELEINE KEARNS

• [url=https://www.nationalreview.com/author/madeleine-kearns/]

April 4, 2022 2:03 PM

SUBSCRIBE
Florida’s much-smeared Parental Rights in Education bill bans “classroom instruction” on “sexual orientation or gender identity” from kindergarten through the third grade. The law also states that schools “may not discourage or prohibit parental notification of and involvement in critical decisions affection a student’s mental, emotional, or physical health or well-being.” And that parents are not to be blocked from “education and health records created, maintained or used by the school.”
LUS
No brainers, on both counts. Which is presumably why the bill’s ideological opponents have preferred to construct a “Don’t Say Gay” straw man to attack it. Not once does the word “gay” appear in the bill’s text. Meanwhile, “sexual orientation” includes heterosexuality as well as homosexuality.
Nevertheless, as the media continue to spread activist lies, Americans presented with the bill’s actual language support its provisions by a two-to-one margin. A recent poll by Public Opinion Strategies found that 61 percent of people said they supported the law, compared with 26 percent who opposed it. The bill also gained the support of 55 percent of Democrats.

Americans Divided Over Disney’s LGBTQ Push - Rasmussen Reports

Quote:Americans Divided Over Disney’s LGBTQ Push

An executive at Disney proudly boasted of the inclusion of gay and transgender characters in children’s programs, but Americans are not so enthusiastic about the entertainment giant’s agenda.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that only 28% of American Adults believe the emphasis on “inclusion” and “diversity” by companies like Disney is making children’s entertainment better. Forty-five percent (45%) think the push for “inclusion” is making kids’ entertainment worse, while 18% say it makes no difference. Another 10% are not sure. (To see survey question wording, click here.)
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 01:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Florida’s Parental Rights Bill Is Popular Even among Democrats | National Review

Americans Divided Over Disney’s LGBTQ Push - Rasmussen Reports

I didn't comment on the bill, because that's not what the thread is about. As for the second poll, Rasmussen is a notoriously biased polling agency with some questionable methodology that still doesn't show the majority are against the moves like those by Disney.

So there are two strikes. Care for a third?

Reply/Quote
To many with kids they look like homeruns.
Reply/Quote
Well, it's only 3 questions so let's take the poll ourselves.

1* Do you have a very favorable, somewhat favorable, somewhat unfavorable or very unfavorable impression of the Disney entertainment company?

very unfavorable

2* The president of Disney General Entertainment recently said Disney has “many, many, many LGBTQIA characters in our stories.” Do you support or oppose having more lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender characters in entertainment for children?

Wait, how many is many? If you have many maybe you don't need more if it would be unrealistically unrepresentative of the population. Vague question.

3* Is the emphasis on “inclusion” and “diversity” by companies like Disney making children’s entertainment better or worse?

Why are those words in quotations? I'll say it makes it more representative, but better? Who knows. Kids are entertained by the most random things. I think kids are more likely to watch Minecraft players on Youtube all day rather than watch The Lion King, or something.

This thing is short and vague and question 1 doesn't ask why I find Disney to be a reprehensible company due to their 60+ years of shady bullshit. If you handed this survey in as a market research or research methods assignment it would get thrown back at you. So in concept, I approve of the inclusive move but I also could answer Very Unfavorable, No, and No to this survey.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 02:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, it's only 3 questions so let's take the poll ourselves.

1* Do you have a very favorable, somewhat favorable, somewhat unfavorable or very unfavorable impression of the Disney entertainment company?

very unfavorable

2* The president of Disney General Entertainment recently said Disney has “many, many, many LGBTQIA characters in our stories.” Do you support or oppose having more lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender characters in entertainment for children?

Wait, how many is many? If you have many maybe you don't need more if it would be unrealistically unrepresentative of the population. Vague question.

3* Is the emphasis on “inclusion” and “diversity” by companies like Disney making children’s entertainment better or worse?

Why are those words in quotations? I'll say it makes it more representative, but better? Who knows. Kids are entertained by the most random things. I think kids are more likely to watch Minecraft players on Youtube all day rather than watch The Lion King, or something.

This thing is short and vague and question 1 doesn't ask why I find Disney to be a reprehensible company due to their 60+ years of shady bullshit. If you handed this survey in as a market research or research methods assignment it would get thrown back at you. So in concept, I approve of the inclusive move but I also could answer Very Unfavorable, No, and No to this survey.

I didn't even look at the survey itself when I saw it was Rasmussen. I knew right off it would be trash.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 02:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I didn't even look at the survey itself when I saw it was Rasmussen. I knew right off it would be trash.

It's pretty good at leading people towards data points, I'll give it that.
Reply/Quote