Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The best of Burfict behind him?
Am I the only person who doesn't see doom and gloom in Burfict's future? All of this stuff about him being in the "wrong era" is BS imo. There's no "wrong era" for a guy who can play like Burfict. He did something that he knew he wasn't supposed to do to Cam Newton, and has been feeling the heat ever since. He has been learning to adjust since then, only getting better and more tactful. I think that he'll have a long career and will be remembered as a really good linebacker who cleaned up his act when all is said and done. 
Reply/Quote
I think some of his best suspensions are yet to come.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2018, 08:21 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Am I the only person who doesn't see doom and gloom in Burfict's future? All of this stuff about him being in the "wrong era" is BS imo. There's no "wrong era" for a guy who can play like Burfict. He did something that he knew he wasn't supposed to do to Cam Newton, and has been feeling the heat ever since. He has been learning to adjust since then, only getting better and more tactful. I think that he'll have a long career and will be remembered as a really good linebacker who cleaned up his act when all is said and done. 

For his sake, and the sake of this team, I hope you're right. I've pretty much lost all faith in Burfict ever playing a complete season, but it's obvious he's a once-in-a-lifetime talent. If he can put it all together, avoid injuries and suspensions, he can certainly be one of the best LB's to ever play. But sadly, I've seen enough to know its not wise to hold my breath.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2018, 08:28 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I think some of his best suspensions are yet to come.

I don't call him The Super Destroyer, for nothin'..   Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He is a 250 pound LB tackling guys 20 to 30 pounds lighter he should not be the one limping to the sideline after the hit looking for a hug from a daddy figure.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2018, 07:41 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Most of his injuries are faked for attention he needs a hug. He peaked in his first and second season. The win losses of our football team are not that much different with or without him. Hobspin posted them a few months back. Can he be a dominate player if he wants to be yes. But he does as he pleases so you don't know what you are going to get out of him production wise cause he is an unstable person mentally. Mavin went out on a limb to draft him even as an undrafted free agent if Marvin was let go last year Burfict would of been right behind him unless the new coach chose to keep him and try to fix a broken player.If he played for the steelers since he was drafted they would be talking about hall of fame. But he plays for the Bengals so he will never be that dominate player or the NFL will make a new rule up to stop his success. At the end of the day we are not drafting skilled LB that can replace him so we are stuck with the sideshow known as Burfict.

Think you’re confusing him with the big baby that’s plays QB in Pittsburgh!

Seriously though, faking? Have you ever seen Tez play? He flies around like a madman. It’s a miracle he’s not injured more than he is.

Reply/Quote
He is a beast. Knows the game he is playing like the back of his hand. The best is still to come with that young stud. Who dey!!...
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2018, 01:28 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: He's insanely talented, but not as talented as some here like to believe. I don't believe he's talented enough to be worth the trouble anymore. Simply put, he cannot be relied on. And yes, it's obvious the league has it out for him and that isn't fair but it is what it is (no doubt if he were a steeler he'd be celebrated as one of the best "hard-hitting players in the league... But he's not. He's a Bengal, and therefore he's going to be held under a microscope for the rest of his career).

I wish those trade rumors of Burfict to Oakland came to fruition. Let him be someone else's headache for a change.

Burfict is a Pro Bowl LB who will be fine..............there are 31 other teams who would luv to have him...........glad he is a Bengal
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2018, 02:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's well worth the roster spot simply, if for nothing else, what he brings to the twice a year Stooler games......

This man gets it!

Reply/Quote
He is worth a roster spot but how big his pay check is should be debated. Same as with Eifert if he only plays in half the games in a year effectively then his money should be impacted. This is why we need the Jordan Evans and Maliks on this team to improve and get better. Burfict can be so much better then he is its a shame he is letting his career slip away. Even with the NFL and the refs on him he can still play within the rules and have a huge impact. IF he wants to but only IF he wants to.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2018, 05:06 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: He is worth a roster spot but how big his pay check is should be debated. Same as with Eifert if he only plays in half the games in a year effectively then his money should be impacted. This is why we need the Jordan Evans and Maliks on this team to improve and get better. Burfict can be so much better then he is its a shame he is letting his career slip away. Even with the NFL and the refs on him he can still play within the rules and have a huge impact. IF he wants to but only IF he wants to.

His money IS impacted. He does not get paid for games he does not play in.....
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2018, 05:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Wasn't it two years ago when he came in suspended and it took him like half the year to regain his shape and athleticism? He was suspended for a fraction of the season but was a shell of himself when he actually came back. Thats my fear going into this year. 

He's also the guy that came back and started the year on suspension, and in his first game back wrecked havoc and Marvin couldn't get him off the field, and he wound up playing twice as many snaps as was planned. We'll see when we see, my money is come game 5, he is a monster....
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2018, 08:28 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I think some of his best suspensions are yet to come.

The new helmet rule worries me.  I fear the refs will use this as a means to target and get Burfict out of games.

That rule is a complete joke, and if kept will eventually degrade further what is quickly becoming a dwindling favorite pastime.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2018, 11:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s still one of the best LB’s in the league. If he played for Pittsburgh he’d be one of the biggest stars in the game.

No, his best isn’t behind him. He’s 27, and in the prime of his career. We just have to take the good with the bad when it comes to him. Just like we’ve done the entire time he’s been here.

Yep, just like we have with Eifert.....albeit much different circumstances.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2018, 11:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s still one of the best LB’s in the league. If he played for Pittsburgh he’d be one of the biggest stars in the game.

No, his best isn’t behind him. He’s 27, and in the prime of his career. We just have to take the good with the bad when it comes to him. Just like we’ve done the entire time he’s been here.

Dead on.  And if you asked the general population outside this area about Burfict, they would tell you he has raped, murdered, and burned churches.  The ONLY thing he has done against the rules was some dirty hits (he was stupid and immature...the ankle twist and ball tap) and the 4 game PED suspension when he assumed he wasn't going to be tested during his injury.  

Yet, that same population will blatantly ignore the facts of Piggy's "rape and pay seven figures to get away with it" issues.  Makes me sick.  

That being said, he made his own bed with the early immature behavior.  I don't think we have seen the last of his greatness.  I think he is probably just getting started.  I just hope he lets the JJSS hit lie and doesn't retaliate.  If anyone should retaliate, it should be a bubble roster guy on special teams.  And I would rather just see the Bengals beat them on the scoreboard, with class.  Sort of like how New England does it.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2018, 07:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, it is just you.

The reason is obvious.  It is EXTREMELY difficult to find a LB with Burficts skill set.

It is easy to find a guy you can "rely on" but you are going to be relying on him being average or above average instead of one of the best talents in the league.

Im not wanting to get rid of Burfict, but your best ability is your availability. Between suspensions and injuries...Burfict has rarely been available the past few years. 

Lets not act like Burfict not playing in games isn't a big deal. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2018, 10:30 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Im not wanting to get rid of Burfict, but your best ability is your availability. Between suspensions and injuries...Burfict has rarely been available the past few years. 

Lets not act like Burfict not playing in games isn't a big deal. 

Let’s also not act like he’s Tyler freaking Eifert either. Burfict has played a lot of games in stripes already.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals should be so lucky as to get him as a coach at some point,  heck, a player/coach for that matter although that's definitely a dying if not dead breed.. One thing is absolutely certain and that is that he's not going to get a day younger at any point ever..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I doubt that his skills have diminished much. With the experience he has now, he should be in his prime.

Burflict has always been a mixed bag for me. I love the way he plays, but hate the dirty shots. Forty or fifty years ago, just about every player played like that. I'm reminded of some quotes from "Night Train" Lane on how the game used to be. Them dudes was brutal. Burf would have fit in there perfectly.

Like it or not, the game is different today. It's not about us being "kinder, gentler". It is about the money teams have invested in players and positions and salary caps, etc. That is why the league watches him like a hawk. Hence, he can't keep doing that kind of stuff.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2018, 10:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let’s also not act like he’s Tyler freaking Eifert either. Burfict has played a lot of games in stripes already.

He's missed 17 games over the last 3 years due to injury or suspension. That's a lot. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote