Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The difference Pollack will make
(10-24-2021, 09:58 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I.think.It was Carmen.and Hopkins.that did a
Devastating double team block on Williams
Springing Perine for that 46 yd jaunt.
Funny the Anti Pollack crowd is silent now

I don't recall any Anti Pollack people on the board. On the contrary I believe he's been one of the most respected coaches on the team going back to when he was here before.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 11:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: To be fair Burrow was under a lot of pressure yesterday.  The pick was caused by pressure.

But like you said, the Ravens are one of the best teams at getting pressure on the QB.

I was against Turner before he coached a single game here.  I am very happy we replaced him with Pollack.  But there is still work that needs to be done.

We had PA as Oline coach for 20 plus years lets give Pollack 3 years to build his Oline and see what they can do.

I agree about passing on short yardage for now we are not good at all on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. A short Burrow pass is pretty high % chance of making it as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 06:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ESPN ranks us 22nd in pass block win rate:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32176833/2021-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings#pbwrteam

We are 10th in run block win rate though, which is good.

Overall PFF grades:
Jonah Williams - 68.5
Quinton Spain - 75.2
Trey Hopkins - 45.3
Jackson Carmen - 44.4
Riley Reiff - 64.4

Yes, we are much improved from last year. Yes, Pollack is a good coach and is getting much more out of Spain alone. Yes it's great that Jonah is healthy, and Reiff was a good add. But there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Overall, we're middle of the pack. Trending in the right direction, but there's still work to be done. Be fair about this.

All I did was post a tweet lol.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 08:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I hope so. I'm not worried about Jonah at all. Spain and Reiff have also been very good.

Carman to me is still a question mark, if I may dare say so, and Hopkins has also been pretty blech. We can get by with this line though. It's most definitely improved over last year.

Hopkins has been MUCH better lately.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 09:27 PM)Synric Wrote: Trey Hopkins allowed 2 sacks and 4 pressures weeks 1 & 2. In weeks 3-7 he has allowed 0 sacks 4 pressures. Hopkins has been alot better than people realize after a very rough start.

I put heavy stock in the PFF grades. They're paid to watch every play, and they're unbiased. They've seen things they don't like with both Hopkins and Carman. If they were getting way better, their grades should be on the rise, but they're not.

So I defer to them.

Yall are free to disagree. I'm not trying to rain on the positivity parade. I'm just looking at the ESPN win rate and PFF grades, and I personally don't think it's to the point where I can call it a strength yet. We're better for sure, but I want to see more.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 09:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I put heavy stock in the PFF grades. They're paid to watch every play, and they're unbiased. They've seen things they don't like with both Hopkins and Carman. If they were getting way better, they're grades should be on the rise, but they're not.

So I defer to them.

Yall are free to disagree. I'm not trying to rain on the positivity parade. I'm just looking at the ESPN win rate and PFF grades, and I personally don't think it's to the point where I can call it a strength yet. We're better for sure, but I want to see more.

Agree

I believe Hopkins is the weak link on the Oline. I've never been as high on him as many here have. At best he's average. Carman is still young and needs more reps so I'll give him a little leeway. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 09:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All I did was post a tweet lol.

That was a preemptive request. Cool
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think they’ll evaluate Hopkins the rest of the season. He’s definitely trending in the right direction though. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t grab a stud center if one’s available in the draft, but it might not be as big of a need as it appeared to be the first couple weeks.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 09:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

I believe Hopkins is the weak link on the Oline. I've never been as high on him as many here have. At best he's average. Carman is still young and needs more reps so I'll give him a little leeway. 

I still have hopes for Carman as well, but sometimes it takes awhile to see full return on investment with linemen. Hopkins just needs replaced eventually, most likely. The other 3 are playing well and those bases are covered this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 09:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I put heavy stock in the PFF grades. They're paid to watch every play, and they're unbiased. They've seen things they don't like with both Hopkins and Carman. If they were getting way better, their grades should be on the rise, but they're not.

So I defer to them.

Awww but yearly averages are the worst way to look at these stats. You have to see how they progress upwards as the season continues. Right now weeks 1 & 2 are dragging down Hopkins overall average but if you look per week he has been progressing upwards with his highest overall grade vs the Ravens.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen Pollack smile… :lol:

[Image: FIIUJRJXMAMk6KN?format=jpg&name=900x900]

Reply/Quote