Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The elephant in the room
(02-06-2022, 06:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually this lame cliche does not apply when analyzing the matchups to try and get a realistic idea of what will happen.

Otherwise everyone would predict a tie for every Super Bowl because both teams would be undefeated in the playoffs.
It's not a lame cliche.  It's a fact.

Win, play another game.

Lose go home.

It's literally that simple.

Deal with it.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 07:12 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Its easy to focus on the positives of the Rams and negatives of the Bengals.

I think that's because our negatives are just so tangible as are their positives, and their biggest positive will be in contact with our biggest negative for half the game.

Our positive is that we just find ways to win.  So many players have stepped up at various times over the last few weeks that we can't really pinpoint exactly how this victory will happen. 

If you are a Ram's fan you can pinpoint it easily:  Our offense will be shut down ala Tennessee and their offense will hit big plays down the field on our overwhelmed defense.

If you are a Bengal's fan, it is not so easy.  Will Burrow avoid pressure and will the team down field?  Will we not bog down in the redzone?  Will our defense keep Kupp/OBJ under control and make turnovers?  

Basically, if you are a Rams fan you are looking to dominate from the first snap.  If you are a Bengals fan you are probably looking to keep it close and then conjure up the magic from the last couple of weeks. 

I hope all my worrying is for nothing and our team finds a way to exploit their defenses 2nd and 3rd layer, and if anyone can do it, Burrow and our receivers could.  At the end of the day, our team this post season has not lent itself to analysis.  There is just too much we do well that may be regarded as "flukey" even though we do it with such regularity lately.  Unfortunately, we have 168 hours until the game is played, so going over the game as it is on paper is all there is to occupy our time with.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 08:20 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not sure that Our O-line being bad is all of a sudden the elephant in the room.

Believe most have been aware of this for a long time and despite the rushing #'s that came from the Bengals passing attack being so formidable that against bad defenses the Bengals got there's still in the running game while they worried about Chase.  

But it has been obvious all year long on short yardage situations, more than not the Bengals were stuffed for loss. This has to be addressed in off season but for now Joe has to roll with what they have.

Rams d-line should feast unless Zac figures out how to keep them off guard, would think Burrow running more in this game could help.  

Yet think that all this talk about the Rams D-line being so great is going to highly motivate Hubber, Hendrickson, and Reader and expect Stafford to be rushed into some big mistakes.

I pity the fools if Hubber gets going.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 08:25 PM)Joelist Wrote: Really the offense has to just adapt to the circumstances, play smart and LET JOE COOK. All we need out of this OL now is one game of somewhat okay pass blocking - and TBH the only game where it was really bad was the Titans game. The Raiders and Chiefs performances were both decent enough to get the job done.

That is true.  The 1st half versus LV and the 2nd half and OT versus KC we looked just fine, great even at times.  Even LA only looked good the 1st half against TB and the 2nd half versus SF (I am not counting that lay-up versus AZ).  
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 08:32 PM)motoarch Wrote: It's not a lame cliche.  It's a fact.

Win, play another game.

Lose go home.

It's literally that simple.

Deal with it.

So the Rams are 3-0.......We are 3-0.......therefore through the game will end in a tie as Fred predicted. I'm confused 
Reply/Quote
“La la la, everything is fine.”

This is how a lot of fans are acting in regards to this major matchup disadvantage. To me, burrow is going to have to play godly (or our defense will have to absolutely shut down the rams, or a combo of the two). If he can somehow overcome this matchup and ball out, his legend will really start to grow. I hope to see this happen, but I know it’s more likely that we fall short, fix the oline in the offseason, and win it all next year. Regardless, I’m looking forward to the game.
Reply/Quote
Joe is going to have to make some plays with his legs. I’m worried about the Chase vs Ramsey matchup.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 09:36 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: “La la la, everything is fine.”

This is how a lot of fans are acting in regards to this major matchup disadvantage. To me, burrow is going to have to play godly (or our defense will have to absolutely shut down the rams, or a combo of the two). If he can somehow overcome this matchup and ball out, his legend will really start to grow. I hope to see this happen, but I know it’s more likely that we fall short, fix the oline in the offseason, and win it all next year. Regardless, I’m looking forward to the game.

Personally, I'm not disregarding the Rams defense or how bad our line is.

I'm just looking at all the facts.

- They only have 5 sacks in 3 playoff games, so maybe they're not as "85 Bears" as we think?
- Our line help up against the Raiders and Chiefs. Only got blown up against the Titans, and their defense is overall better than the Rams.
- The likelihood of us giving up 9 sacks again (or even close) is slim. Off hand, I want to say the last time we have up that many sacks was when Klingler was the QB.

I do think they'll get to Joe, but will it he as bad as the Titans game? Probably not...and this offense has proven it can move the ball and score even with some sacks mixed in.

As long as our D continues to hold up, I'm confident our O can keep us in just about any game.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 09:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Personally, I'm not disregarding the Rams defense or how bad our line is.

I'm just looking at all the facts.

- They only have 5 sacks in 3 playoff games, so maybe they're not as "85 Bears" as we think?
- Our line help up against the Raiders and Chiefs. Only got blown up against the Titans, and their defense is overall better than the Rams.
- The likelihood of us giving up 9 sacks again (or even close) is slim. Off hand, I want to say the last time we have up that many sacks was when Klingler was the QB.

I do think they'll get to Joe, but will it he as bad as the Titans game? Probably not...and this offense has proven it can move the ball and score even with some sacks mixed in.

As long as our D continues to hold up, I'm confident our O can keep us in just about any game.

Teams don’t get many sacks against the 49ers…they aren’t a team that drops back all that much.

I watched the Rams vs Cardinals and the Rams vs Buccs. I don’t know the sack totals from those games, but the Rams D-line was absolutely dominant.
Reply/Quote
Sorry but the Rams D was FAR from dominant against Tampa - the ONLY reason the Bucs ultimately fell short was both the Bucs secondary had a major blown coverage on Kupp AND the refs screwed up on the Brady pick which resulted from PI. Likewise the Rams only got past SF on the grace of the 49ers dropping a likely pick six. They ARE a good team and they DO belong in the Super Bowl - and so do the Bengals.

Time to drop our built in Bengal fan inferiority complex and admit this team is actually good, does not fold under pressure and has rather more than just a punchers chance to win it all.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 10:08 PM)Joelist Wrote: Sorry but the Rams D was FAR from dominant against Tampa - the ONLY reason the Bucs ultimately fell short was both the Bucs secondary had a major blown coverage on Kupp AND the refs screwed up on the Brady pick which resulted from PI. Likewise the Rams only got past SF on the grace of the 49ers dropping a likely pick six. They ARE a good team and they DO belong in the Super Bowl - and so do the Bengals.

Time to drop our built in Bengal fan inferiority complex and admit this team is actually good, does not fold under pressure and has rather more than just a punchers chance to win it all.

I saw a game in which the Rams dominated, but their 4 turnovers in the second half almost blew the game. The hope for me is we can cause a several turnovers against them ourselves. The odd part of the Buccs game was…Stafford wasn’t responsible for the turnovers.

Ramsey scares me a bit. He dropped two picks just the same as Tart did in the 49ers game I’m excited to see what Chase can do against him.

I’m not as worried about their D-line as much as I am about Cooper Kupp. I remember the game in London a couple years ago ?
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 09:49 PM)PocketAces32 Wrote: Teams don’t get many sacks against the 49ers…they aren’t a team that drops back all that much.

I watched the Rams vs Cardinals and the Rams vs Buccs. I don’t know the sack totals from those games, but the Rams D-line was absolutely dominant.

They had 2 sacks on 34 attempts against Kyler Murray and 3 sacks on 54 attempts vs Tom Brady.

Jimmy G was 0 sacks on 30 attempts.

None of those are scary or dominant.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
More fred looking for attention with his BS drama routine of "I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but . . . "

They scored 2 TDs against the Chiefs in Burrowhead stadium and won.

Chiefs 4 scoring drives = 24 points
Bengals 6 scoring drives = 27 points

Not concerned about only 5 TDs just like I'm not that worried about their supposedly incredible pass rush.

Rams sacks in the playoffs = 5 - including 0 in NFCCG
Bengals sacks in the playoffs = 8
Is anybody out there factoring that in? Or is every pundit still stuck on the Titans game?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 10:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They had 2 sacks on 34 attempts against Kyler Murray and 3 sacks on 54 attempts vs Tom Brady.

Jimmy G was 0 sacks on 30 attempts.

None of those are scary or dominant.

It wasn’t about the sacks. It was about the pressure. They were constantly in the backfield. Brady isn’t going to take a sack. He couldn't do anything because he barely had any time.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 10:30 PM)PocketAces32 Wrote: It wasn’t about the sacks. It was about the pressure. They were constantly in the backfield. Brady isn’t going to take a sack. He couldn't do anything because he barely had any time.

Burrow has been getting pressured and harassed all season.

Not all that concerned because it's nothing new.

He operates at a high level under pressure, and when it's really bad, we adjust with quick throws and plenty of YAC.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 09:36 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: “La la la, everything is fine.”

Rams beat the sorry ass Ravens in Week 18 by a point. Had to score late to accomplish that. These aren't Lombardi's Packers. 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 09:46 PM)Webbtown Wrote: Joe is going to have to make some plays with his legs. I’m worried about the Chase vs Ramsey matchup.

Ramsey is too.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 09:49 PM)PocketAces32 Wrote: Teams don’t get many sacks against the 49ers…they aren’t a team that drops back all that much.

Did you watch the Rams give up 37 and get dominated by the Cards earlier in the season? It can happen!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 10:08 PM)Joelist Wrote: Sorry but the Rams D was FAR from dominant against Tampa - the ONLY reason the Bucs ultimately fell short was both the Bucs secondary had a major blown coverage on Kupp AND the refs screwed up on the Brady pick which resulted from PI. Likewise the Rams only got past SF on the grace of the 49ers dropping a likely pick six. They ARE a good team and they DO belong in the Super Bowl - and so do the Bengals.

Simply stated, the Bengals are the better team.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 10:27 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: More fred looking for attention with his BS drama routine of "I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but . . . "

They scored 2 TDs against the Chiefs in Burrowhead stadium and won.

Chiefs 4 scoring drives = 24 points
Bengals 6 scoring drives = 27 points

Not concerned about only 5 TDs just like I'm not that worried about their supposedly incredible pass rush.

Rams sacks in the playoffs = 5 - including 0 in NFCCG
Bengals sacks in the playoffs = 8
Is anybody out there factoring that in? Or is every pundit still stuck on the Titans game?

THANK YOU!!!  I was starting to feel like I was alone on an island.   Bengals are the better team.
Reply/Quote