Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The elephant in the room
(02-06-2022, 11:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not all that concerned because it's nothing new.

Well, something is new because our offense is noticeably worse than it was during the regular season.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 10:27 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: More fred looking for attention with his BS drama routine of "I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but . . . "

You know what is sad?

I actually avoided making this thread for a week because I knew there were certain members who would post stuff like this.

Our offense is clearly having some issues.  I don't know why this topic is verboten.  
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 04:18 PM)Synric Wrote: The right side of the offensive line is struggling. Alot has to do with poor play but also communication. Also the entire offensive line has been very inconsistent run blocking had that has been exposed 10 fold in the playoffs. Trey Hopkins is especially bad as a run blocker.

Let's hope this is what they have focused on the most while preparing for the SB. I cannot imagine how awesome this team could be if JB had a better O line.

It's like they play scared, confused and lose sight of what their job is. They've REALLY got to get it together before Sunday.

Also, sign Andrew Norwell. He's an excellent guard and a Cincinnati native. He's got the skills and the story. Unfortunately a lot of teams are going to be trying to sign him and the Brown Family has never spent a lot on protecting their QB.
Reply/Quote
Not nearly as bad as the post season offense of the 1988 Superbowl team. Our defense was pretty dominant in 1988 throughout the playoffs, but the offense totally disappeared. How sad was it that they couldn't score a single TD in the Superbowl?
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our offense has not been running smoothly in the playoffs.  Here are our regular season ranks followed by how our postseason numbers would have ranked in the regular season.

Yards........13th.....19th
Points....... 7th.....16th
Yds/play.... 7th.....20th

And it is not like we have faced a lot of good defenses

...........yds......pts
LV........14th....26th
TN.......12th.... 6th
KC.......27th.... 8th

Biggest concern is that we have only scored 5 tds in 32 possessions.

I think we are really missing Reif at RT.

I kind of give them a pass against the Raiders and Titans.  I felt like if their defense was up to the task, the offense could just play mistake-free football and they could win.  Not unlike the game against the Broncos.

The Chiefs game, I figured it would be time to air it out and need to score 35 or more to win.  It wasn't like they were inept, with 27 points and over 350 yards of offense, but all those first down runs just seemed to put Joe behind the sticks.  I was getting so frustrated watching it.

My question was:  "Is this to protect Joe or part of a plan to wear down the Chiefs".  Maybe it was both.  Joe only got sacked once, and the running game did start to move them in the fourth quarter. 

Now, for the Super Bowl, I have heard a number of folks say the way you neutralize Donald is to run right at him.  Not sure how truthful that is, but I get it.  I am just hoping the offense comes out firing and takes some shots early so the Rams have to respect it.  That is the one thing that has been missing in the three playoff games:  Deep shots.

Maybe send Tee AND Chase deep on opposite sides.  The safety will likely shade to Chase, and then hit Higgins over the top.  Both are amazing at tracking the deep ball.  

The defense isn't getting the respect it deserves, as they are largely the reason for this streak.  However, the offense will need to be a bit more aggressive and still avoid turnovers in order to take this one.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 05:54 PM)Webbtown Wrote: While the Rams are a good defense they aren’t the 85 Bears.

This is actually pretty accurate.  The best defense the Bengals have faced all season was probably KC with the Titans a close 2nd.  I think both of those defenses, especially the way the Titans match up, are similar to that of the Rams.

The Bengals offense struggled the most against Tennessee of all their opponents over the last six weeks, and they are built kind of like the Rams.  However, since the Bengals were able to overcome the sacks and beat the Titans, I think it will feel a bit more like the second time facing the Titans and we all know Joe's record against a team for the second time.  He has seen so much from opposing defenses and he is learning on the fly.

The Rams defense that I saw against the Cardinals was downright scary.  Murray is incredibly mobile and he got destroyed.  No time to throw, seemingly blitzing every down.   Cards had no answer.   That is the game that gives me the most concern.  I know Joe can read a defense faster, but the Bengals HAVE to have a quick checkdown or one-on-one deep shot answer in these situations.  I hope the Bengals are the aggressor and come out firing and use the run later to sustain drives once the Rams are worried so much about the pass that they are pulling their safeties back. 
Reply/Quote
Maybe after a Superbowl victory folks won't be so defensive about regular old (and obviously legit points) football talk.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 01:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You know what is sad?

I actually avoided making this thread for a week because I knew there were certain members who would post stuff like this.

Our offense is clearly having some issues.  I don't know why this topic is verboten.  

I agree with you, the offense is having issues and the ideas expressed in your op have merit.

The takeaway is that your frequently contentious interactions with forum posters results in members dismissing your posts as you showing a cantankerous personality. You'll continue to exhibit woebegone and insist you are being attacked under a pretense that people cannot handle that you are right when you are often incorrect. Since you will not take accountability or change, the cycle persists.

I'm assuming your "I actually avoided making this thread for a week because I knew there were certain members who would post stuff like this" was not an invitation for explanation, but what the hell anyhow. I am offering my opinion since you actually mulled it over as to whether or not you should make this post for a week. 
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is actually pretty accurate.  The best defense the Bengals have faced all season was probably KC with the Titans a close 2nd.  I think both of those defenses, especially the way the Titans match up, are similar to that of the Rams.

The Bengals offense struggled the most against Tennessee of all their opponents over the last six weeks, and they are built kind of like the Rams.  However, since the Bengals were able to overcome the sacks and beat the Titans, I think it will feel a bit more like the second time facing the Titans and we all know Joe's record against a team for the second time.  He has seen so much from opposing defenses and he is learning on the fly.

The Rams defense that I saw against the Cardinals was downright scary.  Murray is incredibly mobile and he got destroyed.  No time to throw, seemingly blitzing every down.   Cards had no answer.   That is the game that gives me the most concern.  I know Joe can read a defense faster, but the Bengals HAVE to have a quick checkdown or one-on-one deep shot answer in these situations.  I hope the Bengals are the aggressor and come out firing and use the run later to sustain drives once the Rams are worried so much about the pass that they are pulling their safeties back. 

The Rams have a more formidable defense than the Chiefs do and it's because of their pass rushers and corners. Specifically, their big three (Donald, Miller and Ramsey).  This game isn't a huge mismatch or anything, though - while the Rams are better on both sides of the ball, it isn't a huge difference. Here is a visualization of where each team is...

[Image: nNtDNuU.png]

This includes playoff performances. So, the Rams and Bengals are very similar on offense, but the Rams have a notably better defense than Cincinnati. While their defense isn't all-world, it is just a bad matchup because of Cincinnati's porous OL and the Rams pass rushing specialties. That's about it, though. I would say that Cincinnati has a better chance of beating LA than they had against KC. 
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 11:17 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Rams have a more formidable defense than the Chiefs do and it's because of their pass rushers and corners. Specifically, their big three (Donald, Miller and Ramsey).  This game isn't a huge mismatch or anything, though - while the Rams are better on both sides of the ball, it isn't a huge difference. Here is a visualization of where each team is...

This includes playoff performances. So, the Rams and Bengals are very similar on offense, but the Rams have a notably better defense than Cincinnati. While their defense isn't all-world, it is just a bad matchup because of Cincinnati's porous OL and the Rams pass rushing specialties. That's about it, though. I would say that Cincinnati has a better chance of beating LA than they had against KC. 

I appreciate you sharing the chart. The visual contributes to my understanding when comparing the two teams. I acknowledge it's a defense loaded with super star players and their pass rush is yet again a concern because of our OL, but they don't feel like a dominate defense on the level of elite Super Bowl winning defenses from the past like the Bears, Ravens, or the Broncos team when Manning won a Super Bowl in Denver. I don't know what the stats reveal, but I feel like we can beat them.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2022, 10:08 PM)Joelist Wrote: Time to drop our built in Bengal fan inferiority complex and admit this team is actually good, does not fold under pressure and has rather more than just a punchers chance to win it all.

Too bad you don't have this same mindset in the Game Day threads. Ninja

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 11:17 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: This game isn't a huge mismatch or anything, though - while the Rams are better on both sides of the ball, it isn't a huge difference.

This.

Rams were the #4 seed in the NFC.  Not considered "world beaters" coming into the playoffs.

This should be a damn good game.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 11:04 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote:  You'll continue to exhibit woebegone and insist you are being attacked under a pretense that people cannot handle that you are right when you are often incorrect. Since you will not take accountability or change, the cycle persists.

The only cycle that persists, and I point it out continually, is me arguing football and certain people here responding with personal attacks against me.

Anytime you see me making personal attacks against other members point it out and I will take "accountability", but in the meantime since you feel the need to lecture someone on their behavior perhaps you should address the person in this thread who was actually making personal attacks instead of me.

Enjoy your glass house.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 12:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Rams were the #4 seed in the NFC.  Not considered "world beaters" coming into the playoffs.

This should be a damn good game.

Right

The Rams are no juggernaut. Had the 49ers coach not forgotten they can run the ball in the 2nd half I doubt they're even in the S.B.
Reply/Quote
OP makes some solid points. As we all know, their interior Dline goes against the weakness of our oline. However, I also believe there is some merit to those that say it's partially a product of playing postseason football. It's naturally going to be harder to score, and our defense has been no slouch in the redzone themselves. If we can generate some pressure, I look for Stafford to turn it over more than once.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I can't really disagree with Fred, our redzone scoring is a concern, Adeniji's play is almost as discouraging as our 2nd Rd pick not being able to easily take his spot.

That said, I rewatched the NFC title game last night. Tanneyhill would had been an upgrade over Jimmy G that game. Just an awful performance, very unsteady. His play and a few bonehead mistakes & penalties kept the Niners from winning that game by 10 points.

If the line can block at a less than average level, Joe can make plays. It is sad that we are reduced to 3 step drops. Assuming we get help in the offseason, other fans have no idea how explosive we can be with 5-7 drop deep route concepts next season.

As for the SB, I am more concerned with Ramsey shutting down Higgins and a continuous double on Chase. TE and TB could have big days as the Rams lbers are not good in coverage. Also, opposite CB and safety can be exposed. Rams have shut the run down but if Mixon gets going that will truly disrupt their defense.

Reducing Kupp's involvement without their starting TE will be devastating as well. He is like a security blanket for Stafford. OBJ and Jefferson cannot beat us. We have the kicking advantage without question.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 11:17 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Rams have a more formidable defense than the Chiefs do and it's because of their pass rushers and corners. Specifically, their big three (Donald, Miller and Ramsey).  This game isn't a huge mismatch or anything, though - while the Rams are better on both sides of the ball, it isn't a huge difference. Here is a visualization of where each team is...

That visual... Jets and Bears losses were so bad, yet I understand them.  There will always be upsets, but these are the types of games I see us winning handily next year.  Add the Browns, and not one of these 3 teams could beat us at the end of this season.
Reply/Quote
I haven't read through all 4 pages of this thread, but the premise seems to be the offense is now not as good as it was in the regular season. Well, to me that makes perfect sense. We are in the playoffs, playing against the teams at the very top of the league. Offenses struggling against defenses is playoff football.

Rams vs 9ers 20-17
Packers vs 9ers 13-10
Bengals vs Titans 19-16
Bengals Raiders 26-19
9ers vs Cowboys 23-17
Bengals vs Chiefs 27-24

There were a few games where teams put up over 30, but 2 of those were by the Bills. Just shows teams are now playing great defenses. Actually, I am glad the Bengals haven't looked that great scoring so far in the playoffs, because they are due for Chase or Higgins or both to have huge games.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Rams defense that I saw against the Cardinals was downright scary.  Murray is incredibly mobile and he got destroyed.  No time to throw, seemingly blitzing every down.   Cards had no answer.   That is the game that gives me the most concern.  I know Joe can read a defense faster, but the Bengals HAVE to have a quick checkdown or one-on-one deep shot answer in these situations.  I hope the Bengals are the aggressor and come out firing and use the run later to sustain drives once the Rams are worried so much about the pass that they are pulling their safeties back. 

Yeah, that Cardinals game was frightening.  But the Cardinals had no downfield threats.  There was nobody on that team that was a threat to make explosive plays.  So they were free to load the box and put relentless pressure on Murray. 

If we can keep the down and distances manageable to keep them honest I think we'll be ok.  Someone is going to come open or a make a run after the catch.
Reply/Quote

Agreed on Chiefs vs. Rams, especially in KC.

I think Cincy's defense is playing every bit as well as the Rams and has faced a lot tougher offenses to do it.  
Reply/Quote