Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The entire o line is the problem
(02-14-2022, 02:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s mostly been them, yes. Jonah and Spain are fine. You can win with them. And Hopkins got better as the season went on. The biggest problem all year was RG, and then RT once Reiff went down.

Hopkins was on the bottom tier of starting centers in the NFL.

So he went from "worst" to "Not the worst" and he's somehow not a part of the problem?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Was the thread you already started about Boyd not enough? They can sign multiple OL with what they save on cutting Waynes alone. Boyd has nothing to do with it.

We cannot sign the best or as many, people dont understand that even though we are top 4 in cap space we have many to re-sign along with Bates.  We have several next year and then the real cap killers come this off-season is crucial.

An extra $20m can get us a next level guy. What argument can be made to pay a slot the most money in this offense with his minimal targets while Joe goes back to the hospital?
Reply/Quote
The front office gambled and lost this year with the OL. I wouldn't blame our current OL. Those guys just don't have the talent.
Bet you dollars to donuts that they try the same approach again this year.

Let's hope Joe's okay.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:06 AM)jj22 Wrote: Ignore the whole season because you can't take other peoples opinions.

Your act is old around here. 

Who’s ignoring the whole season? They clearly need to address the right side, but I don’t see how that makes Pollack “overrated.” He’s working with backups.

As for your second sentence - the feeling is mutual.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:08 AM)Joelist Wrote: we had zero schematic response to it. 

That's not on the players, that's on the coach. You are right. We've had zero schematic responses to stunts etc all season. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:09 AM)casear2727 Wrote: We cannot sign the best or as many, people dont understand that even though we are top 4 in cap space we have many to re-sign along with Bates.  We have several next year and then the real cap killers come this off-season is crucial.

An extra $20m can get us a next level guy. What argument can be made to pay a slot the most money in this offense with his minimal targets while Joe goes back to the hospital?

You're right.

We can hit a home run in the draft to replace Boyd.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 12:30 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: A bunch of undrafted o linemen, busts, and An average when he’s not hurt LT is the problem.

Blow it all up.

the line is a huge problem and at the very least 3 need to be replaced. but burrow has to get better too. he literall ran into 3 sacks tonight, and on 2 of them had running room outside if he would have made a better decision. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:09 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Hopkins was on the bottom tier of starting centers in the NFL.

So he went from "worst" to "Not the worst" and he's somehow not a part of the problem?

It took him until around the bye to really get back to normal after the injury. From then on he got much better. Wyche literally just started a thread about it go look at the numbers for yourself.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It took him until around the bye to really get back to normal after the injury. From then on he got much better. Wyche literally just started a thread about it go look at the numbers for yourself.

His improvement still amounted to him being a bottom-tier center in the NFL.

This complacency and lowered bar with the O line is going to get Burrow Andrew Luckified in record time.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:07 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Burrow was sacked more than any qb this year..

Well yeah, we had absolute dog shit at RG all year, and a center who wasn’t ready to start the season.

Reply/Quote
Nor did those "improvements" lead to a fix in our short yardage situation where we were better off with a 3rd and 7 then we were a 3rd and 2. But we did have some good wide zone runs throught out the year, but that was the only scheme you could see an upgrade from Turner when analyzing the line. No power runs, no pulls, no luck running up the middle.....

Reply/Quote
The right side needs improving.

And, man if Linderbaum falls to them at 31 , you will see improvement.

Hope they can sign Scherrf or Morgan Moses in the off-season.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals front office and its die hard homers are a lot like a spoiled child who gets an expensive toy for christmas. They always manage to break it despite the parents emphasizing them to play with it properly and not be stupid.

We'll have good Burrow for his rookie contract. If he doesn't retire due to injuries, he'll pull a Carson.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:13 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: His improvement still amounted to him being a bottom-tier center in the NFL.

This complacency and lowered bar with the O line is going to get Burrow Andrew Luckified in record time.

You have to start with the weakest links 1st. And that’s the right side. I know you lot like to just scream “fix the OL” and want to replace all 5 guys at once, but it doesn’t work like that. Opposing teams attack your weakest link. And right now that’s Adeniji/Carman at RG. That’s the priority to upgrade.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:09 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: The front office gambled and lost this year with the OL.  I wouldn't blame our current OL.  Those guys just don't have the talent.  
Bet you dollars to donuts that they try the same approach again this year.

Let's hope Joe's okay.

This my fear. And why Im harping on overpaid players being dealt with.
Reply/Quote
Spain is mediocre.  Williams is only slightly better.  The left side of the line is better than the right side but we could certainly improve the left side as well.   The entire O-line looked bad in the Super Bowl  

I would look at all of the upcoming free agents at each O line position and see if we can improve at each position.   Take a look at PFF and ESPN analytics to see which free agent linemen did the best especially in pass protection.  Target some guys you want to look at and verify their skills by watching the tape.  Go out and replace every O-line position that you can upgrade.  Just looking at PFF grades, there are several free agents the Bengals could get in the 6-7 million a year range that woud be an improvement over what the team currently has at each of those positions
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You have to start with the weakest links 1st. And that’s the right side. I know you lot like to just scream “fix the OL” and want to replace all 5 guys at once, but it doesn’t work like that. Opposing teams attack your weakest link. And right now that’s Adeniji/Carman at RG. That’s the priority to upgrade.

The Cheifs added Brown, Humphrey, and Thuney in one offseason.

**** out of here with  this nonsense.
Reply/Quote
Chiefs cut both tackles and their center, started 5 news players.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:06 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: Absolutely.  Burrow started holding the ball thinking the protection was going to hold and then the sacks started piling up and the hole kept getting deeper and deeper.  

You can trace the o-line's suckage right to the point when our guy pushed Donald after Donald shoved Burrow out of bounds.  That woke Donald up and we never adjusted.

How many times was he sacked? I literally have no clue. 

It was so ugly I couldn't watch when he was on the field. 

Also, are folks forgetting we were STILL winning with less than 2 mins to go until Stafford got those, I'm calling them "bonus attempts" after the D got two? or was it three? stops...

My mind is blown. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:22 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Spain is mediocre.  Williams is only slightly better.  The left side of the line is better than the right side but we could certainly improve the left side as well.   The entire O-line looked bad in the Super Bowl  

I would look at all of the upcoming free agents at each O line position and see if we can improve at each position.   Take a look at PFF and ESPN analytics to see which free agent linemen did the best especially in pass protection.  Target some guys you want to look at and verify their skills by watching the tape.  Go out and replace every O-line position that you can upgrade.  Just looking at PFF grades, there are several free agents the Bengals could get in the 6-7 million a year range that woud be an improvement over what the team currently has at each of those positions

Good luck with that.
Reply/Quote