Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The entire o line is the problem
(02-14-2022, 02:26 AM)jj22 Wrote: Chiefs cut both tackles and their center, started 5 news players.

And that Chiefs O-line was much improved this year.  It just shows what you can do if you get rid of the dead weight and bring in quality players. Mahomes went from having a bad O-line to one of the best just in 1 offseason.  The Bengals need to follow a similar path this offseason.
Reply/Quote
I thought burrow played great in spite of the line. No picks. Good rating. He had no time to throw though. I think Hopkins played better before his injury. Hopefully he heals up fully. Spain is fine. Williams is fine. If they could get a legit right guard and right tackle they are way better. Sign a legit guard for starters in free agency. That’ll make a world of difference. Focus on the line in the draft as well. It’s doable to fix the oline this offseason.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:29 AM)BengalB Wrote: How many times was he sacked? I literally have no clue. 

It was so ugly I couldn't watch when he was on the field. 

Also, are folks forgetting we were STILL winning with less than 2 mins to go until Stafford got those, I'm calling them "bonus attempts" after the D got two? or was it three? stops...

My mind is blown. 

We gave Stafford the ball at midfield three times, I think, and we came up with stops on defense.  When Boyd dropped that pass, I knew we would not get a fourth one.  Stafford + Kupp was too much to overcome a 4th time when given 4 downs.

I am still seething a little, but ultimately, we had our chances and we squandered them.  We were beat fair and square.  As I said in an earlier post in another thread, this loss somehow does not hurt anywhere near as bad as that one in 2015.  That loss shut the door on a whole team of 53 players and staff for all eternity, whereas I still feel we have a bright future with what we have now.       
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And they won the Super Bowl right? LOL

You're either dense asf or trolling.

They obviously didn't win the Super Bowl. But they didn't fail because of their O line. The Begnals did fail because of THEIR O line though.

And I only mentioned the Cheif's moves last offseason because of your strange assertion that we can't retool our entire offensive line in one offseason. The Cheifs have shown that you can.
Reply/Quote
Here is some info from PFF on upcoming free agents for the O-line.  It is interesting to see how some of these guys grade out vs our current talent.  PFF also shows an estimate on the expected amount it would cost to sign each of these free agents

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-offensive-tackles

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-rankings-interior-offensive-linemen
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:23 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: The Cheifs added Brown, Humphrey, and Thuney in one offseason.

**** out of here with  this nonsense.

Well I certainly advocate drafting the next Creed Humphrey…

Thuney should have picked us, he might helped us win the Super Bowl. They got lucky with Brown forcing his way out of Baltimore. They didn’t just sign him off the street.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:41 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: You're either dense asf or trolling.

They obviously didn't win the Super Bowl. But they didn't fail because of their O line. The Begnals did fail because of THEIR O line though.

And I only mentioned the Cheif's moves last offseason because of your strange assertion that we can't retool our entire offensive line in one offseason. The Cheifs have shown that you can.

(02-14-2022, 02:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well I certainly advocate drafting the next Creed Humphrey…

Thuney should have picked us, he might helped us win the Super Bowl. They got lucky with Brown forcing his way out of Baltimore. They didn’t just sign him off the street.

I just addressed the retooling in one offseason above. I’d love it as much anyone if we could hit a home run on a Creed Humphrey, and have an OT like Brown fall in our laps because of a forced trade. Trying to live in reality here though. And in reality we need to start with some good FA’s for the right side. Not dream about swapping out all 5 guys (a couple of which are decent) at once.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 12:30 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: A bunch of undrafted o linemen, busts, and An average when he’s not hurt LT is the problem.

Blow it all up.

1st half really no pressure on Joe and we score 10,  overall in playoffs we were not an effective offense outside of some big plays..
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just addressed the retooling in one offseason above. I’d love it as much anyone if we could hit a home run on a Creed Humphrey, and have an OT like Brown fall in our laps because of a forced trade. Trying to live in reality here though. And in reality we need to start with some good FA’s for the right side. Not dream about swapping out all 5 guys (a couple of which are decent) at once.

Well if you want to start on the right side you need to sign either Trent Brown or Morgan Moses at RT. 

For RG I dont know of too many choices.  I know some have mentioned Alex Cappa but he allowed 5 sacks this year.  Im not sure Carman couldnt do as well next year.  You have Austin Corbett who only allowed 3 sacks but is he going to leave the Rams after they just won a Super Bowl?  Maybe you could go after Mark Glowinski who only allowed 1 sack all year.  That might be the best option if you could get him

At Center, see if you can pull Ben Jones away from the Titans.  He only gave up 1 sack for the year.  If not Jones then Ryan Jensen who only gave up 2 sacks for the year

Also, if you wanted to look at the left side and G position go after either Conner Williams or perhaps Laken Tomlinson who both would be an upgrade over Spain
Reply/Quote
My user name speaks for itself (the "wall" refers to the OL, of course). Really should have gone after Ohio natives Joe Thuney and Corey Linsley last year. This year, Ryan Jensen or Bradley Bozeman should be targeted at C. Try to get Norwell for LG. Either re-sign Reiff at RT (he was so good before getting hurt), or maybe try and see if the Saints (in cap hell) will trade Ramczyk for a 1st. Draft guys in the mid round for depth, but do not rely on young guys to step in on day one. Sometimes they can, but not always. This line needs veterans, and we can afford them. Please do not let Burrow be Luck 2.0.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
Have I mentioned how bad Adeniji is ?
Reply/Quote
Hopefully we go out and get the best lineman that money can buy in free-agency and then use our young players like Carman, Adeniji, Smith, and Prince as good depth.
Reply/Quote
I actually have faith the Bengals will sort the line this year. The last couple of years have been huge in FA, and we have the cap to do it. The Franchise knows we go as far as Joe can take us. This isn't the Bengals of old, I'm confident we will make serious progress this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:51 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I’d keep Jonah and Spain and blow up the rest. I want to see a new C, RG, and RT.

This and I hope the sting of a SB loss is enough to make it happen.  That second half "performance" was disgusting.
Reply/Quote
Getting rid of Price & Hart was a huge improvement, but there's more to do... i mean, even that improvement got us to the SB.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:44 AM)jj22 Wrote: I think when emotions calm down, there's a discussion to be had if Pollack is overrated. How is it Alexander is still the best Oline coach we've had?

I would say not yet at the very least. It's almost like asking a chef to make a good beef dinner of some kind with a cheap 3lb roll of mystery ground beef that has a funky smell to it. And if it's too funky, like the line last night, doesn't matter what the oline coach does.

So imo, it's more on the front office first and foremost for not getting better backups, while also not doing more for a starter or two this past offseason. Then it's also on Taylor and Callahan for not designing and running more plays that masks the funkiness of that line, especially when Burrow got his knee shredded last season. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What is Pollack supposed to do with Akeem Adeniji and Isiah Prince against Aaron Donald and Von Miller? Did you not see the Chiefs OL last year in the Super Bowl when they were forced to play backups?

They could have played Carman instead of Adeniji.
Really unfortunate to see a 2020 5th rounder start ahead of a rookie 2nd rounder.
You'd think/hope the 2nd rounder, even though a rookie, could outperform a sophomore 5th rounder.
I agree with Isaiah Prince somewhat. About the only thing that could have been done was try D'Ante Smith or Fred Johnson instead.

I think let's just all agree that just adding an oft-injured FA (Reiff), a 2nd round OT who had to do a lot to change to RG (Carman), and a 4th round OT (Smith) wasn't enough to fix the OL.

Bengals should (hopefully) see this and continue investing.

I'd consider adding 1-2 vets and 1-2 Day 1/2 draft picks to the OL. What I'm not doing though is adding a draft pick and moving their position.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The lineman just didn’t seem like intelligent football players this year. Adeniji is an A+ in the size department but doing one simple stunt essentially made him worthless. I know playing line must be hard but at the end of the day how are you getting beat so easily by stunting lineman? If the guy lined up across from you goes to the left or right that means someone is likely filling that gap and you need to get ready. And how bout double teaming someone while you wait for the gap to be refilled by a blitzer? Why in the hell would you just sit there and not guard anything then you’ve got the nerve to get beat matador style like DUDE!!! Then don’t even get me started on how much of a ***** he looks like defending 1 v 1 bulrushes
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Burrow could use a fullback like Turley:

#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
We need some fairly major reworking of the Oline. RG and RT need major upgrades. We need better depth. Adeniji and Prince are not it. Center could be fairly easily upgraded.
Reply/Quote