Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The final 53 let's take a look
(08-24-2019, 10:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Honestly, I'm not sure there's 5 LBs on this roster worth keeping. There's Brown, Evans, Vigil, Pratt...I mean, you keep Jefferson just because he was a 3rd round pick I guess? Nickerson has played better than him, which is saying a lot cuz Nickerson sucks.

I kinda hope a good LB gets cut from another team just to give us a good 5th LB. If we put Jefferson on the PS, I doubt anyone nabs him.

Yes and that's another thing. They may grab a LB or two off the cut pile and go 9 Dline  ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm very anxious to see who Coach Taylor keeps. Love to see some change from the Marvin era. Keeping and starting guys who should be demoted like Michael Johnson over Hubbard (just an example)
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 07:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: Alonso is reportedly getting outplayed by a guy they signed from the CFL.  That's why they want him gone.  He's nowhere near what he used to be.

Is he better than Nickerson, Evans or Jefferson?  If not then he's probably out of the league.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 10:42 PM)pally Wrote: or maybe we will try and trade Driskel or Dolegala to the Colts now that Andrew Luck is supposedly retiring

Hmmm interesting ?
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 09:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Here's a guess on QB, RB, WR, TE

QB - 2

Dalton
Finley

RB - 4

Mixon
Bernard
Anderson
Williams

TE 4

Eifert
Uzomah
Sample
Schreck

WR 7

AJ
Boyd
Ross
Erickson
Malone
Willis
Tate

PS Dolegala, Ellis, J. Franks, S. Morgan

With the 8 Oline that's 25

Only change Id make would be to cut Flowers, and try to keep Ellis on the PS. If Williams ends up on IR, then keep Ellis on the 53. He might not last long on PS either way. Flowers hasn't shown too much.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 03:55 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jerry will be on the 53.  They will pick up 1-2 OT during final cuts.  Redmond is relatively unknown this year.  He was a penalty machine last year.  I do not know what to think of Westerman at this point.  I think Bengals keep 9 O-line players.  They will go heavy on D-Line.  Light at backer.  Heavy at DB.  4 RB.  4 TE.  7 WR (due to injuries to Green and Ross).  

Then there is the QB issue.  Dolegala may make the 53.
My buddy said Luck is retiring was tweeted tonight I guess during 49's game. Dolegala wont make it to practice squad. Could we have a trade with one of our QB to the Colts. Texans lost a RB as well Gio trade???
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 09:52 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I kinda wish they could package Ross and Gio in a trade for a Tackle
Yes would help greatly we could keep 6 WR and Ellis as the 4th RB and Dolegala.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 10:42 PM)pally Wrote: or maybe we will try and trade Driskel or Dolegala to the Colts now that Andrew Luck is supposedly retiring
We play the Colts this week so they will see Dolegala up close and personal if they have any interest they could put decent players against him to test him. But to tell you the truth I like his upside rather keep him and trade Dalton start Finley. I can dream...the bud helps lol
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 11:15 PM)samhain Wrote: Is he better than Nickerson, Evans or Jefferson?  If not then he's probably out of the league.

No clue, but he's also due $6.5 mil this year.  He might be worth signing on the cheap if he gets cut, but no way I'm giving up a draft pick and paying that salary for a has been LB.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 12:28 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: We play the Colts this week so they will see Dolegala up close and personal if they have any interest they could put decent players against him to test him. But to tell you the truth I like his upside rather keep him and trade Dalton start Finley. I can dream...the bud helps lol

So you trade Dalton and make us worse in 2019? If so, why not trade all of our high paid guys and start over again? We could load up on picks and get a shot at #1 pick in 2020.

Trade Dalton and you are sending message to your team, we are not trying to win in 2020 in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 11:59 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: My buddy said Luck is retiring was tweeted tonight I guess during 49's game. Dolegala wont make it to practice squad. Could we have a trade with one of our QB to the Colts. Texans lost a RB as well Gio trade???

Why wont he make it to the PS? He has potential yes but most teams keep 2 QB's and the second is a vet or high drafted noobie.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: With all but the final preseason game over I'm sure the staff has a good hold on who the final 53 are gonna be.

Let's start with the Oline and see who/how many there will be. I'm gonna guess 8, here's my picks.

C - Price
C/G - Hopkins
G - Jordan
G - Miller
G - Westerman
T - Glenn
T- Hart
T - Smith

That leaves cut or PS

Brad Lundblade 1 C
Justin Evans 1 G
John Jerry 9 G
Alex Redmond 3 G
Keaton Sutherland R G
O'shea Dugas R T

I'd say guys like Dugas, Sutherland, maybe even Evans hit PS. I'd also guess ZT is being an offensive minded HC is gonna keep as many playmakers as possible and rely on scheme and the TE's and WR's even to be a part of the blocking.

What ya think ?

I am not so sure they give up on Dugas so quickly.  He made two glaring errors in the Giants game, but they were mental errors.  He has matched up well, physically.  Redmon gets a 4 game exception or something, doesn't he?  And I believe Jerry will make it and they will carry at least 9.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 12:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think we normally keep 10 OL, or minimum of 9

No way we only keep 3 OT's when one has a concussion

The 9th is Jerry.  He has started at both OT and OG in the NFL.

Westerman could get bumped by Dugas.
Reply/Quote

I doubt they're that desperate.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 12:15 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Why wont he make it to the PS? He has potential yes but most teams keep 2 QB's and the second is a vet or high drafted noobie.
Because he has not taken hardly any snaps since camp started on the 27 of July he came into the game and threw 2 TD in one quarter. There is a few teams out there wondering who their starting QB will be and some looking to pick a guy up. I know it was against 3rd stringers but compared to what some teams have at QB right now he looks real good. Some teams that have older QB would stash him as a 3rd QB to develop him he has much more value then a 6th LB or 6th or 7th WR that will only contribute on ST.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 09:11 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you trade Dalton and make us worse in 2019? If so, why not trade all of our high paid guys and start over again? We could load up on picks and get a shot at #1 pick in 2020.

Trade Dalton and you are sending message to your team, we are not trying to win in 2020 in my opinion.
I do not think Finley makes us that much worse as the starter with the new system Finley and Dalton started out even IMO. Dalton does have NFL exp advantage but no more exp within our new system. Again are you saying we will make a deep playoff run with Dalton? I seen him fold many times in high pressure games and even seen him lose it when he got pressured this preseason once he feels pressure his eyes don't look downfield he goes into panic mode. Just like he has been coached to go to the check down guy in years past under Marvin and not take chances. These are bad tendency he needs to be coached out of that Finley does not have.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 09:03 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I do not think Finley makes us that much worse as the starter with the new system Finley and Dalton started out even IMO. Dalton does have NFL exp advantage but no more exp within our new system. Again are you saying we will make a deep playoff run with Dalton? I seen him fold many times in high pressure games and even seen him lose it when he got pressured this preseason once he feels pressure his eyes don't look downfield he goes into panic mode. Just like he has been coached to go to the check down guy in years past under Marvin and not take chances. These are bad tendency he needs to be coached out of that Finley does not have.

We're seeing vanilla defenses in the preseason. IF Finley were the starter, they'd disguise coverages and blitzes...that's where experience shows.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 09:03 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I do not think Finley makes us that much worse as the starter with the new system Finley and Dalton started out even IMO. Dalton does have NFL exp advantage but no more exp within our new system. Again are you saying we will make a deep playoff run with Dalton? I seen him fold many times in high pressure games and even seen him lose it when he got pressured this preseason once he feels pressure his eyes don't look downfield he goes into panic mode. Just like he has been coached to go to the check down guy in years past under Marvin and not take chances. These are bad tendency he needs to be coached out of that Finley does not have.

I think our best chance to win more than 9 games is with AD. I like Finely, but he has not played yet against a #1 defensive NFL unit and has not played when the DC game planned for him. 

I could be wrong, but I think we are a 5 team or less win team under Finley n 2019. I hope I don't find out if I am right and AD gets us back to the playoffs. But, if he falters, I hope we give Finley a shot the last 4 games of 2019 to see what we have in him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2019, 01:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I count 11 OL in 2018, I think A. Smith came later in year

Price
Hudson
Fisher
Ced O.
Hart
Glenn
Redmond
Boling
Westerman
Smith
N. Scott

Niles Scott is D-line not O-line (I presume you mean TJ Hopkins and not Otis Hudson) and Andre Smith re-joined November 29 when Jake Fisher was placed on IR so they went with 9 in 2018, same as in 2017.

I think if they planned to carry 4 OTs then they'd have drafted a second one (Andre Smith re-joined only after Jonah Williams was injured). That they didn't suggests they were comfortable with a guard backing up at Tackle. Eight therefore seems the likely number here particularly as the 9th would likely be inactive and there's not much talent that needs the protection of a roster spot. If you're looking at players like Dugas they will be available for the Practice Squad and can be called up later (or after suspension in the case of Redmond).

(08-25-2019, 08:52 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Because he has not taken hardly any snaps since camp started on the 27 of July he came into the game and threw 2 TD in one quarter. There is a few teams out there wondering who their starting QB will be and some looking to pick a guy up. I know it was against 3rd stringers but compared to what some teams have at QB right now he looks real good. Some teams that have older QB would stash him as a 3rd QB to develop him he has much more value then a 6th LB or 6th or 7th WR that will only contribute on ST.

I don't believe there are many franchises out there that are going to run out a rookie, undrafted QB who doesn't know the playbook or his team-mates so you're limiting yourself to teams who are willing to carry 3 QBs and have one inactive most of the season. To do that you must think he has starter potential (who, apart from the 2016 Bengals, wastes a year's roster spot on a potential back-up QB?) but if a team thought he had starter potential and needed a QB why didn't they draft him in the first place? They could have had him for a 7th round pick. Is a quarter against third stringers operating a vanilla defense changing draft grades that drastically when the knock on him was level of competition and having to adapt to the speed and having to learn how to diagnose NFL disguised coverages?

He may have a NFL future but his future this year is surely on the Practice Squad.
Reply/Quote
Jerry isn't going anywhere. You can't keep Westerman with his issues. Hell, who knows if he will even be around mid season if he makes the team
Reply/Quote