Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The incessant, weekly, cut Nugent extravaganza!!!
We won't let him go ever. I honestly believe he'll be here next year.

As a whole this team is way to effing stupid to fix an obvious issue that is costing an already struggling offense.

Welcome back to the bottom and welcome back bungles
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2016, 09:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All someone has to do is come up with someone that is better, and available in the middle of the season. And no "anyone is better" crap, come up with a legit available kicker...

Tucker's resume was nothing but 0's when the Ravens moved from Cundiff to him.  Either way, we'd wait until the off-season but eventually we're going to have to believe the notion than "the other guy" might be better than Nugent.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2016, 09:49 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Randy Bullock for starters.  Way bigger leg, primary issue was injuries.  The Georgia guy who was kicking for Minnesota was/is also better.

Agree 100%.  We should go ahead and sign Randy Bullock this week to get him on our roster.  That will give him a few games with the team, snapper, holder, etc. before going into the offseason.  He can, and should, be our guy for next season.

The Minnesota guy, Walsh, appears to have some attitude issues and has a current case of the shanks.  I'd rather pass on that situation for now.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2016, 08:06 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: You're one of the very few Buckeye fans that don't defend Nugent. I'm including the old boards, where most of them were ecstatic we let josh brown go (after he won us what was essentially a playoff game in Pittsburgh) to keep Nugent. I especalially remember the crap I got for merely calling Nugent "average" after he blew that OT kick. Now that it's insanely obvious Nuge is a steaming pile of dog s***, the consensus has finally changed. I apologize for lumping you together with all Buckeye fans but whenever I think of Nugent apologists I think of buckeye fans... Well them and Fred but, Fred's his own special self. Though I'm sure even Fred is done with Nugent at this point

No sweat, brother. Like I said, I wasn't really going after you, I just see a lot of hate thrown at Buckeyes fans. I find it hard to believe that anyone defends Nugent, but unfortunately some do.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2016, 11:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: People look badly on Ohio State fans because they make stupid comments like the Buckeyes would probably kick the Bengals' asses.  Anybody that believes that needs to put down the scarlet and grey Kool Aid.  Any NFL team would decimate the Buckeyes, in the Shoe, with a Big 10 officiating crew.  Seriously, the Buckeyes couldn't even win their conference.

That comment was tongue-in-cheek. You know, making a joke of why people hate Buckeyes fans. I appreciate being called stupid though.
Reply/Quote
Even if we cut Nugent, what are the odds he won't be available if we need him again? I suppose he could sign with another team and make us regret it, or refuse to sign with us, but I'm not betting on either.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 12:04 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Even if we cut Nugent, what are the odds he won't be available if we need him again?  I suppose he could sign with another team and make us regret it, or refuse to sign with us, but I'm not betting on either.

I don't know that he's doing much that a kicker off the street couldn't do. It's not like we're primed for a deep playoff run.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 12:06 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know that he's doing much that a kicker off the street couldn't do. It's not like we're primed for a deep playoff run.

Nugent is an UFA next year.  Since this season is lost, the best play is to hope some other team signs him and we can get a late comp pick.
Reply/Quote
Nugent will make for a fine fall guy to excuse keeping Marv around. Hobspin probably already has the article ready to go.

1. The kicking game cost us at least 2 wins.
2. Injuries to Eifert, Green and Gio.
3. "Growing pains" for Ogbuehi
4. Working in New coaches (Zampese, Haslett, Coyle)

I'd bet any amount of money that Marv will be retained and Hobs will put out an article like this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 12:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nugent will make for a fine fall guy to excuse keeping Marv around. Hobspin probably already has the article ready to go.

I'd bet any amount of money that Marv will be retained and Hobs will put out an article like this.

Sad but true
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 12:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nugent will make for a fine fall guy to excuse keeping Marv around. Hobspin probably already has the article ready to go.

And if/when Andy and AJ run screaming from this franchise we will keep Marvin around to develop the next generation of Bengals!
Reply/Quote
Is it bad that I don't even give a crap about this anymore? It's just a from of comedic entertainment for me now. I laughed my ass off as I drove home from my in-laws listening to him miss that XP. Our season has been over for a while now, perhaps not mathematically, but realistically anyway. Let the clown run out there and show how unfit he is for the rest of the season. It'll make it tougher for them to keep him another year. Enjoy watching him embarrass himself.

Matter of fact, I don't care if they win another game this season. Just hammer home how done this plan is and how stale this staff is. Make it as hard to dispute as possible. Lose to the Browns for all I care. Just force change and action in the offseason.

Part of me will always want them to finish game-tying or winning drives like the last possession today. I was pulling for them. It's just a lot easier to take the loss when you expect it. Ever since they arrived DOA in Dallas, I've had zero faith in this group.

I just feel like nothing short of a botched abortion of a football season will get them to make needed changes, and they're right on track. Don't screw it up now.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 12:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: And if/when Andy and AJ run screaming from this franchise we will keep Marvin around to develop the next generation of Bengals!

Reboot 3.0! Who needs quitters anyway?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 02:46 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Reboot 3.0! Who needs quitters anyway?

*clunk clunk clunk*

Do you know what that sound is?

That is robotic Marvin clapping his titanium hands after Andrew Dalton III throws a pick six against the Steelers in the year 2096.
Reply/Quote
Noticing not many, if any Buckeye fans sticking up for him.

Was a fan of his at beginning and do not hate him. Just not really getting it done and that is a must in "the league".

Really lacking a strong leg makes it where he has to almost be automatic from 40 and in (plus xp) to justify his spot.

Unfortunately this is not the case.

Edit : oops forgot to quote post

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2016, 09:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All someone has to do is come up with someone that is better, and available in the middle of the season. And no "anyone is better" crap, come up with a legit available kicker...

Think Marshall Morgan would be someone worth looking at.

Would be an upgrade at kickoffs immediately.

Maybe even Nick Rose but like Morgan better. 

Think both rookie FA are worth a shot to see what they've got while our season is fredtoast anyway. 

Then if they are not cutting it sign a veteran FA or draft new one after season. 

Think Morgan would be fine though. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 07:57 PM)JumboTron Wrote: All they're going to do is bring in some kickers on Tuesday to "work out" then immediately send them on their way and then tell Nugent:
"Okay Mike, don't let it happen again or else......We may work out ANOTHER group of kickers next week.  Oh Mike, I can't stay mad at you come here.."

lol
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
As much as it would be nice to see them hold a player accountable and actually cut Nugent, we all know it just won't happen and that is what is the most irritating thing. This team has absolutely no fear of being held accountable for anything. Be it Burfict and some of his after the whistle antics, or be guys who are veteran starters who can't or just don't tackle and still get their starting spot or a kicker who has got to be close to the worst in the league right now. Marv will clap his hands and say we have to do better....like that will make it happen.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
The thing is the missed XP doesn't just take 1 point off the scoreboard that should be a gimmie, it's a demoralizer.

When the Ravens kicker hits THREE 50-60 yarders in one half, that is an uplifter. The offense knows they can just get somewhat close and get points.

I'm convinced the more the Bengals keep Nugent, the worse off his outlook/career as an NFL player will be and he will get depressed. I'm sure he knows one way or another he is getting bashed. 

I'm also convinced some super old former Bengals kicker could do better from the 35 yarders and less, how old is Jim breech?
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 08:46 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: The thing is the missed XP doesn't just take 1 point off the scoreboard that should be a gimmie, it's a demoralizer.

When the Ravens kicker hits THREE 50-60 yarders in one half, that is an uplifter. The offense knows they can just get somewhat close and get points.

I'm convinced the more the Bengals keep Nugent, the worse off his outlook/career as an NFL player will be and he will get depressed. I'm sure he knows one way or another he is getting bashed. 

I'm also convinced some super old former Bengals kicker could do better from the 35 yarders and less, how old is Jim breech?

That is a good point. I think Nuge needs a shakeup at this point. You're getting into so muddy waters when you hit these kind of slumps in the NFL as a kicker. Better to let him go sooner rather than later and maybe he'll catch on somewhere next year.
Reply/Quote