Third downs: 3rd

Defense
Points/drive: 14th
Red zone: 13th
Three-and-outs: 13th
Successful play rate: 11th
Third downs: 13th

The last four weeks they lead the NFL
in nearly every major efficiency category.
Yes, the Saints, Falcons and Panthers
defenses are far from the intimidating
league dominators, but this is the NFL
and points are points. The Bengals just
keep putting them up.

It's not far off to see this team leading
the league in offense at year's end.
Generally, the defenses they will face
over second half of the season are better.
Half rank in the top quarter of the
league in weighted defensive DVOA:
Patriots (fourth), Bills (fifth), Bucs
(seventh) and Titans (eighth). They
will be given plenty of opportunities to
prove their worth against quality
defenses and if their trajectory continues
and Ja'Marr Chase returns at full health,
they should be more than capable to post big numbers.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
They beat the hell outta the NFC south... Time for them to do it against their own division from here on out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Really it’s our division giving us fits. We average 16 points against our division (0-3), and average 29 nearly 30 points outside our division (5-1). Hopefully we adjust against our division and keep up the offensive explosion.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2022, 09:07 PM)jason Wrote: They beat the hell outta the NFC south... Time for them to do it against their own division from here on out.

(11-10-2022, 09:52 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Really it’s our division giving us fits. We average 16 points against our division (0-3), and average 29 nearly 30 points outside our division (5-1). Hopefully we adjust against our division and keep up the offensive explosion.

The truth, if we see the Offense start to really improve against OUR Division we can roll.

I see it happening myself, starting with the stealers next Sunday after this one.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, just to echo what others have said and take it a bit further, if you only improve against bad teams then that isn't really a path to a championship or anything.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I ain't buying it. Defense has proven consistency through the first half of the season. Offense, that has yet to be seen. Give me a 3 game stretch of offensive firepower first.

Reply/Quote
Definitely have a big chance to get rolling in the division against the steelers next week and believe the Bengals do just that.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Just stop with all the back patting, please. Until the Bengals can prove they are dominating any team they will always be a .500 team. Every time they have 1 good game all these writers gush their hearts out only to see them get trounced the next game. It's called consistency week in and week out against any team. They don't have an "easy" game left on the schedule. They aren't there yet even with Awuzie, Reader and Chase on the field.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 03:01 AM)jeremydc Wrote: I ain't buying it. Defense has proven consistency through the first half of the season. Offense, that has yet to be seen. Give me a 3 game stretch of offensive firepower first.

I get what you are saying, J, but you realize that only about 1 team has done that this season (Buffalo) and then they have had struggles since?  KC has been inconsistent. Baltimore crazy inconsistent.  

This team had Burrow coming out of camp with no practice at all for 3 weeks due to a ruptured appendix.  The overhauled line is just starting to mesh.  Mixon appears to be doing another 2018, where 80% of his production came in the final 8 games.  Getting Chase back would make them lethal.  If they can stay balanced with a rushing attack, I think they can put up 30 without Ja'marr if he isn't ready.  

I do get what you are saying so let's revisit after beating pitt and Tennessee.  
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 10:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get what you are saying, J, but you realize that only about 1 team has done that this season (Buffalo) and then they have had struggles since?  KC has been inconsistent. Baltimore crazy inconsistent.  

This team had Burrow coming out of camp with no practice at all for 3 weeks due to a ruptured appendix.  The overhauled line is just starting to mesh.  Mixon appears to be doing another 2018, where 80% of his production came in the final 8 games.  Getting Chase back would make them lethal.  If they can stay balanced with a rushing attack, I think they can put up 30 without Ja'marr if he isn't ready.  

Hopefully they respond like they did after the bye last year. I figure they have to go 5-3. They can but it won’t be easy regardless. They’ve dug themselves a hole and leave little margin of error. It falls on the staff. I think the attitude don’t panic works fine but you also have to recognize the reality. I think that was naive.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 10:24 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Hopefully they respond like they did after the bye last year. I figure they have to go 5-3. They can but it won’t be easy regardless. They’ve dug themselves a hole and leave little margin of error. It falls on the staff. I think the attitude don’t panic works fine but you also have to recognize the reality. I think that was naive.

Not sure if it was naive or actual confidence.  With everything that could go wrong, did, in the first two games they very easily could have walked out of those 2-0.  Ditto the Rat game.  They probably know that if they can stop beating themselves, they won't lose many games.  

The Browns game will give everyone red ass because it is the in-state rival, but losing Chase and Reader before it was huge, and not much time to adapt, offensively.  

It also might have been the kick in the ass they've needed and (from what I hear) they had a great week of practice and pummeled the ever loving crap out of poor Carolina.  

The extra rest, the "tendency breakers", the line gelling....it all adds up to a stretch run.  My biggest fear is still losing Chido, but more cover two zome might not be the worst thing in the world.  
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 03:01 AM)jeremydc Wrote: I ain't buying it. Defense has proven consistency through the first half of the season. Offense, that has yet to be seen. Give me a 3 game stretch of offensive firepower first.

If we come out blazing against the Stoolers, it will be a 3 game stretch of offensive firepower. Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 11:13 AM)Wyche Wrote: If we come out blazing against the Stoolers, it will be a 3 game stretch of offensive firepower. Wink

Well, two games in a row, anyway.  (offense didn't really score much versus Cle. on Halloween)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 10:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not sure if it was naive or actual confidence.  With everything that could go wrong, did, in the first two games they very easily could have walked out of those 2-0.  Ditto the Rat game.  They probably know that if they can stop beating themselves, they won't lose many games.  

The Browns game will give everyone red ass because it is the in-state rival, but losing Chase and Reader before it was huge, and not much time to adapt, offensively.  

It also might have been the kick in the ass they've needed and (from what I hear) they had a great week of practice and pummeled the ever loving crap out of poor Carolina.  

The extra rest, the "tendency breakers", the line gelling....it all adds up to a stretch run.  My biggest fear is still losing Chido, but more cover two zome might not be the worst thing in the world.  

Hopefully that motivation emerges from the Bye week. Believe it will but if they become 0-4 in the division and back to a .500 record it will really make it tough. 

Believe they're too good and will not let this happen but will sweat it until it's a victory. Will need to play really well per will be playing the steelers and the refs most likely.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2022, 08:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: This is an excerpt with a deep dive by Paul Dehner in The Athletic

#Bengals efficiency rankings:

Offense
Points/drive: 4th
Red zone: 3rd
Three-and-outs: 11th
Successful play rate: 2nd
Third downs: 3rd

Defense
Points/drive: 14th
Red zone: 13th
Three-and-outs: 13th
Successful play rate: 11th
Third downs: 13th

The last four weeks they lead the NFL
in nearly every major efficiency category.
Yes, the Saints, Falcons and Panthers
defenses are far from the intimidating
league dominators, but this is the NFL
and points are points. The Bengals just
keep putting them up.

It's not far off to see this team leading
the league in offense at year's end.
Generally, the defenses they will face
over second half of the season are better.
Half rank in the top quarter of the
league in weighted defensive DVOA:
Patriots (fourth), Bills (fifth), Bucs
(seventh) and Titans (eighth). They
will be given plenty of opportunities to
prove their worth against quality
defenses and if their trajectory continues
and Ja'Marr Chase returns at full health,
they should be more than capable to post big numbers.

As I've said before, I'll be more impressed if they can score on and beat the likes of TEN, KC, BUF, TB, and NE.
Beat a couple of those teams and I'll start believing they're a contender again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 10:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not sure if it was naive or actual confidence.  With everything that could go wrong, did, in the first two games they very easily could have walked out of those 2-0.  Ditto the Rat game.  They probably know that if they can stop beating themselves, they won't lose many games.  

My thought process? My mindset? Joe Burrow has not been able to get practice time because of his appendectomy. We’ve got to rely on the run game the first few games. I’m sorry it was a disaster. Not letting that get by. And I do think they were naive about the OL and the offense out the gate.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 10:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get what you are saying, J, but you realize that only about 1 team has done that this season (Buffalo) and then they have had struggles since?  KC has been inconsistent. Baltimore crazy inconsistent.  

The Eagles has been consistent, but they are in the NFC, but truth. It has been a weird year for most all of the teams with 
consistency. We need to start getting consistent on Offense and get on that run of wins that we desperately need. Couldn't
ask for a better foe coming off a bye against a team we want to destroy with complete and utter vengeance.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 11:16 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, two games in a row, anyway.  (offense didn't really score much versus Cle. on Halloween)

Yep 3 out of 4 though but was a no show in that 4th game against the Browns

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Kinda hard not to improve from weeks 1 and 2
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2022, 09:43 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Just stop with all the back patting, please. Until the Bengals can prove they are dominating any team they will always be a .500 team. Every time they have 1 good game all these writers gush their hearts out only to see them get trounced the next game. It's called consistency week in and week out against any team. They don't have an "easy" game left on the schedule. They aren't there yet even with Awuzie, Reader and Chase on the field.

How many times have they been trounced? I’m seeing once, and losing on the last play three times.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote