Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The offense is starting to take on Burrow's personality
(10-28-2021, 09:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no idea what you are talking about.  I have said repeatedly that I like Burrow's potential better than Andy and that he has the ability to be a much better player than Andy.

But remember when everyone said Burrow would fix everything last year just by "holding players accountable"?  Remember when he was not supposed to need an O-line because he could avoid any pressure?  Remember when he did not need elite WRs because he could just "throw open" any receiver.  Remember when we could concentrate on fixing the defense because Burrow would fix the offense by "making the players around him better"?  Then in the very next draft everyone is arguing about which was our biggest need, O-line or WR.

I like Burrow a lot, but some of the claims people make about him are just silly.  At some point we are going to lose another game this year.  It will be interesting to see how many of you blame it on Burrow's personality.

I do remember several instances of that, but i wasn't one of them and I don't agree with them to that extent either. Last year i made a post about what a good QB can do for an offense. The gist was, he can improve the overall performance of the offense. No one player is "the answer". He's not super human but he's a big difference maker, physically, mentally and performance-wise. 

I agree some claims are silly but some of them are not. I agree that his mentality can also help the offense. I'm sure you agree that confidence has some level of ability to increase performance. When Burrow was standing on the sidelines last Sunday around the WRs and he said to Tee "if we can win this division, we can win it all". A player that goes out and believes he's the best and believes he can get it done, plays more relaxed and is less apt to make a mistake or miss than a player who isn't as confident. 

There's no reason, based on his play after the talking, for anyone around Burrow to not believe him when he says something like that. 

This is not meant as a shot to Dalton, but when he stood in the runway giving his pregame speech, there was nothing about it that made me feel that he was going to go out and "get it done". So i wonder how the players felt listening to it. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
fredtoast should spare us the long posts about Burrow and say, "I think many posters here are dumbasses." He can just post it over and over again in threads. If I'm wrong about this being his lens of viewing The Bengals Board, then he can defer to, "I'm right, you're wrong" for all posts.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 09:40 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: This thread officially sucks to read.

It didn’t until someone thread jacked it…
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 12:07 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: fredtoast should spare us the long posts about Burrow and say, "I think many posters here are dumbasses." He can just post it over and over again in threads. If I'm wrong about this being his lens of viewing The Bengals Board, then he can defer to, "I'm right, you're wrong" for all posts.

I think many of his arguments are just lawyer practice.... much like Vinnie and Mona Lisa arguing over the dripping faucet. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 10:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I was watching a youtube montage of Taylor, Burrow, Hubbard and Chase this morning and their post game clips after the Ravens beatdown. Taylor took the opportunity to throw a lot of praise on the assistant coaches for that win instead of hogging it all for himself

Good on Zac, that is what I wanted to see, humility.

This is a sign of a good HC, that and him actually outcoaching a very good one in Harbaugh.

(10-28-2021, 10:10 AM)Housh Wrote: Joe list what did you do to Fred. He nuked this thread pretty hard. That’s personal

Yeah, Joelist should be PO'ed. This was a good thread till Fred's irrational thoughts became apart of it.

(10-28-2021, 11:30 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Cynical Fred.Wow.He’s on a roll.Burrow has traits that cannot be coached.I agree with the positive analysis on Burrow.

And stubborn, he cannot be talked into the thought of players taking on the confidence of the leader for some reason.
Reply/Quote
Stats are fine and have their place I will readily concur. But in any situation involving human beings (especially groups of us) psychology is also a big factor. In the NFL the QB is schematically the "leader" of the offense. But as in all group situations just because one person is the official leader doesn't mean everyone always and automatically looks to them - you see this all the time in places varying from sports team to the military and others where someone may officially be the leader but the group actually takes their lead from someone else - the psychological leader

TO BE CONT...

Sorry about the TO BE CONT - I had to join a quick conference call.

Now with regards to Burrow specifically, you are seeing a situation where the schematic leader and the psychological leader are becoming the same person. In other words, the offensive players are not just officially looking to him they are following his lead unofficially too. And this is where the statement that they are starting to take on his personality comes in - they are following his lead there too and starting to display some of the same traits he does. 

It doesn't mean they will win every game or INTs will never happen or any such thing - it just means that (for instance) because Burrow doesn't go into a shell when adversity hits (something the Bengals were notorious for) the offense is starting to likewise not go into a shell. 
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 01:31 PM)Joelist Wrote: Stats are fine and have their place I will readily concur. But in any situation involving human beings (especially groups of us) psychology is also a big factor. In the NFL the QB is schematically the "leader" of the offense. But as in all group situations just because one person is the official leader doesn't mean everyone always and automatically looks to them - you see this all the time in places varying from sports team to the military and others where someone may officially be the leader but the group actually takes their lead from someone else - the psychological leader

TO BE CONT...

Just look at Oklahoma and their QB change. I watched the players react when Williams was made the starter over Rattler...

Was a crazy change how the entire team reacted. I watched it IN GAME when the change happened and the Sooners came 
roaring back against Texas (I believe?) and beat them. How the QB holds himself can affect everything.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 01:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just look at Oklahoma and their QB change. I watched the players react when Williams was made the starter over Rattler...

Was a crazy change how the entire team reacted. I watched it IN GAME when the change happened and the Sooners came 
roaring back against Texas (I believe?) and beat them. How the QB holds himself can affect everything.

I remember, as bad as I hate to admit it, watching part of a Brown's game 3 years ago or whatever and Hue Jackson had whatever QB in starting the season. Was it Tyrod Taylor ? not sure ? Like 3rd game of year and starting QB got hurt so B. Hayfield came. Entire game changed in a snap. You could see the Brown's perk up and react to Hayfield's moxy.

The naysayer is FOS.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 01:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I remember, as bad as I hate to admit it, watching part of a Brown's game 3 years ago or whatever and Hue Jackson had whatever QB in starting the season. Was it Tyrod Taylor ? not sure ? Like 3rd game of year and starting QB got hurt so B. Hayfield came. Entire game changed in a snap. You could see the Brown's perk up and react to Hayfield's moxy.

The naysayer is FOS.

Happens all the time with QB changes. Look at how Fitzmagic has came in on multiple teams and brought the team back...

There are certain auras with certain QB's that influence a team in either a positive way or a negative one.

Burrow is all positive man, good vibes.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 01:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: aobdfzloqd8n5mkwfsi1.jpg]

Yeah, the mask seems a little ostentatious  
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 02:11 PM)3wt Wrote: Yeah, the mask seems a little ostentatious  

If you notice, the two players behind him are wearing masks as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2021, 05:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: The one thing Andy was never quite able to do (and I was and am a big proponent of what he did for us) was become the emotional template for the offense. Burrow is doing it, and each week we see the offense taking on Burrow's own traits,

Yep.  Looks like the entire team got a little over confident after the Baltimore win.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 01:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep.  Looks like the entire team got a little over confident after the Baltimore win.

Why are you bumping a forum from weeks ago just to make one of your typical negative patronising comments?

Very weird behaviour
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 06:17 PM)G man Wrote: Why are you bumping a forum from weeks ago just to make one of your typical negative patronising comments?

Very weird behaviour

That's like a politician saying "Why are you bringing up immigration again?  We talked about that last month."
Reply/Quote
The team may indeed have gotten overconfident - which has zero to do with the purpose of this thread.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 11:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: The team may indeed have gotten overconfident - which has zero to do with the purpose of this thread.

Right, because Joe Burrow's personality has nothing to do with being confident.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 02:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, because Joe Burrow's personality has nothing to do with being confident.

Rolleyes

Okay, point to you on that aspect. If indeed the offense is starting to take on elements of Burrow's personality and part of that is getting a bit cocky than of course they would too. Truthfully, I would in some ways rather have that plus the confidence to bounce back than what we saw in the past  - which was once something went wrong the players all started getting very tentative like they were thinking "here we go again". 
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 02:38 PM)Joelist Wrote:  Truthfully, I would in some ways rather have that plus the confidence to bounce back than what we saw in the past 

Only problem with this theory is that they did not bounce back.  They blew an 11 point 4th quarter lead against one of the worst teams in the league and then got embarrassed at home by the Browns.

So I prefer a little less "We cane beat any team" and a little more "Damn, we got some problems we need to fix"
Reply/Quote