Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The season isn't over...
(09-25-2016, 07:47 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Philly in 2012.

Our defense/STs took over that game.

That's the one I was thinking of. It's been 4 years since we beat a semi-decent team decisively in prime time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 07:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's the one I was thinking of. It's been 4 years since we beat a semi-decent team decisively in prime time.

Didn't they finish like 5-11 or something that season? I remember that game being a gimme and it wasn't looking good at the Half, but we pulled away in the 2nd half. I can't remember us winning a game against a good team in Primetime in recent years, other than the close win over the Broncos 2 season ago.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 08:05 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Didn't they finish like 5-11 or something that season? I remember that game being a gimme and it wasn't looking good at the Half, but we pulled away in the 2nd half. I can't remember us winning a game against a good team in Primetime in recent years, other than the close win over the Broncos 2 season ago.

Good catch. The Eagles went 4-12 in 2012. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We beat Pitt on a Monday night game in 13.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
1-2 certainly isn't a season-killing record. I know we're used to fast starts recently, but it's not quite time for me to throw in the towel yet.

Unfortunately, I think this team steered into the perfect storm this season. We have a substandard player at center, a green RT (who didn't light the world on fire at tackle in college), a new OC, and several new offensive weapons to work in. Getting the offense to gel with a quarterback under constant pressure is a tough hand to be dealt. Andy knows the pressure is coming and he rarely has a chance to step up in the pocket.

On top of all that, the schedule hasn't exactly been an easy one to start the season. A hated rival with a history of dominance against them armed with one of the best offenses in the NFL, then home to play the league champs. No excuses here, but sometimes shit just doesn't shake out your way.
Reply/Quote
I wasnt mad so much that we lost to the defending champs, its was just how we lost and that we could've and should've won. I hate to lay anything on the refs, but the Bronco's first TD drive was a total sham and those penalties were unreal. Our defense played very good that drive, and the refs screwed them... That being said, everything else we pretty much handed to them. Dropped balls, penalties, whiffed blocks, bad coverage, bad overall play calling on defense period. We gave them cushion and they ate us up, and we didnt adjust at all, period. Gunshy and Zamboni better step it up as play callers and now.

The OL is starting to look like a bad blend of getting too old and too young. All I got to say is they need to come into their own and find the chemistry they used to have.

The secondary is looking like Jones is getting old, we miss Nelson big time, we miss the rookie even though the jury is still out on him, and in general we are getting our butts kicked back there. Those dudes need to step it up big time. Dennard needs to step his game up.

We miss Eifert, Jones and Sanu. Thankfully we'll be getting the best one of them back. Dalton and his new WR's still have a ways to go, but I dont doubt they will get there. They just needs time and reps.

The season is not lost. We can rebound and with two of our best players primed to come back, I think we'll see improvement on both sides of the ball. Burfict is the heart and soul of this defense and they are not the same without him. Eifert will open up the entire field and give us a sure-handed red zone threat.

We are still a playoff caliber team when healthy, but unless some players improve dramatically, we are not looking good enough for a legit run in the playoffs. We need to step it up big time. OL and secondary in particular.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 05:44 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Times like these I take a break from the boards for a while bc people act like the sky is falling

THIS
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 06:17 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Marvin Jones is balling out Sad

Good for him, wish we kept him. Had 203 yards and 2 TDs today, Over 400 yards receiving in 3 games. :/
The Lions are 1-2 as well... Good job Marvin.

His fantasy owners are loving him though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 09:17 PM)samhain Wrote: 1-2 certainly isn't a season-killing record. I know we're used to fast starts recently, but it's not quite time for me to throw in the towel yet.

Unfortunately, I think this team steered into the perfect storm this season. We have a substandard player at center, a green RT (who didn't light the world on fire at tackle in college), a new OC, and several new offensive weapons to work in. Getting the offense to gel with a quarterback under constant pressure is a tough hand to be dealt. Andy knows the pressure is coming and he rarely has a chance to step up in the pocket.

On top of all that, the schedule hasn't exactly been an easy one to start the season. A hated rival with a history of dominance against them armed with one of the best offenses in the NFL, then home to play the league champs. No excuses here, but sometimes shit just doesn't shake out your way.
Perspective... I like it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Bottom line this team cant win with Marvin as the head coach. History has shown that. 0-7 in the playoffs, and last year in the playoff loss he just stood there as his players lost control and gave up 30 yards of penalties with seconds left in the game. Don't forget Pittsburg drove down the field with a QB who was hurt and couldn't throw the ball. But for some reason he keeps getting a pass.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 12:21 AM)cincyfan429 Wrote: Bottom line this team cant win with Marvin as the head coach. History has shown that. 0-7 in the playoffs, and last year in the playoff loss he just stood there as his players lost control and gave up 30 yards of penalties with seconds left in the game. Don't forget Pittsburg drove down the field with a QB who was hurt and couldn't throw the ball. But for some reason he keeps getting a pass.

Yeah, because its Marvin's fault that Joey Porter came on the field right?

Any "Bengal Fan," that buys into that media bullshit should turn in their fan card.

The ******* Stoolers pull this provoking crap and you say its Marv's fault?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 05:32 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Come on guys.. Let's calm down a bit.. We lost to the best defense and the reigning Superbowl champions. Of course, there was a lot of mistakes and whatever. We still got 13 games left and all of them are winnable (Except the Pats game, reason: Brady). Sure, we may not win the North, but we're capable of getting to the playoffs. Eifert should be back and Burfict will be back this week.

Let's not lose hope from 2 losses, Who Dey!

I have hope, I just don't have much confidence in them. Well, particularly Marv.

Burfict is coming back and I be hoping that he gives Gunther a little talking to and lights a fire under his ass. Gunther knows better than to go into a prevent with more than 6 minutes remaining.

On the offense, I don't know. It appears to in a confused mess. Zampese gets a failing grade thus far. He's going to need to start getting some of the answers right soon.

Reply/Quote
The season is not literally over - after all we still have 13 games left.

But as far as it being worth anything.....that is likely another story. This team looks BAD so far this season. We've let a poor offense and a barely average offense roll all over us, our offensive line is utterly horrid in both run and pass blocking (take off the one 50 yard scoot by Hill and then look at the rush numbers - pathetic) and we lead the NFL in muffed passes by a wide margin. I could go on and on but I think it is pretty obvious. The real questions that ownership that actually wants to win would ask would be like:

a) Why do our offensive linemen start out good then regress under Piano Man's coaching?

b) What dipstick plays soft zone when leading by one point?

c) Why does the team always look flat and uninspired in big games?

d) Why do we never do anything scheme wise to help our receivers get even a little more open? It is aggravating to always see opposing receivers sitting in giant holes with no one anywhere around them while our receivers are always covered tight. For example, tonight versus the Bears the Cowboys used pick plays as a standard tactic with Whitten running a route designed to mask the real receiver from defenders. We NEVER do that stuff and instead just send the boys out and expect them to win their matchups.

Of course, the answer is that the only logical answer to these questions is to gut the coaching staff. Marvin and his culture of listlessness need to go. So do Guenther, Zampese and Alexander. And then new coaches brought in who specifically have zero history with the team.
Reply/Quote
We'll be 10-6 vying for a wild card spot when all is said and done.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 06:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I hope you're right, but I can't remember the last time we won a prime time game decisively. Say by 14 points or more.

(09-25-2016, 06:54 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Cleveland last year?

Denver the year before?

(09-25-2016, 07:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You got me on Cleveland, but they were QB'd by Manziel for Pete's sake.

We didn't beat Denver by 14+. We beat them by 9, and it was closer than that really. Far from a "decisive victory".

The last time a Bengals team won a prime time game decisively against a good team with a winning record?

Look no further than Monday, Oct. 25th...

2004. Against the 5-1 Broncos. 23-10.

And that "decisive victory" was accomplished due to a field goal halfway through the 4th quarter to take it from a 10 pt victory to 13 pts.

Other than that...the answer is "never in the Super Marvio era".

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 01:06 AM)Joelist Wrote: The season is not literally over - after all we still have 13 games left.

But as far as it being worth anything.....that is likely another story. This team looks BAD so far this season. We've let a poor offense and a barely average offense roll all over us, our offensive line is utterly horrid in both run and pass blocking (take off the one 50 yard scoot by Hill and then look at the rush numbers - pathetic) and we lead the NFL in muffed passes by a wide margin. I could go on and on but I think it is pretty obvious. The real questions that ownership that actually wants to win would ask would be like:

a) Why do our offensive linemen start out good then regress under Piano Man's coaching?

b) What dipstick plays soft zone when leading by one point?

c) Why does the team always look flat and uninspired in big games?

d) Why do we never do anything scheme wise to help our receivers get even a little more open? It is aggravating to always see opposing receivers sitting in giant holes with no one anywhere around them while our receivers are always covered tight. For example, tonight versus the Bears the Cowboys used pick plays as a standard tactic with Whitten running a route designed to mask the real receiver from defenders. We NEVER do that stuff and instead just send the boys out and expect them to win their matchups.

Of course, the answer is that the only logical answer to these questions is to gut the coaching staff. Marvin and his culture of listlessness need to go. So do Guenther, Zampese and Alexander. And then new coaches brought in who specifically have zero history with the team.

It may be worth something in the end.  If it goes as bad as many seem to feel it will, there's a possibility that real change may come about.  Maybe we go outside the organization for a new OC or DC.  The family has done this in the past when things got out of hand, and it worked out well with Zimmer and Gruden.  Maybe we even get a new HC through termination or retirement.  You never know.  

What most certainly will happen is a massive bumper crop in the draft on top of a (hopefully) healthy Will Jackson and Andrew Billings.  Then there's the ticking clock of Mccarron's free agency which will likely spur a trade before his value diminishes and they get jack squat for him when he walks.

Then we have the development of guys like Boyd and Ogbuehi.  

This may be a bad year for us, but this is hardly the death knell of the Dalton-Green era.  It may be that for the Lewis era, but that might be necessary in the end.  Dalton-Green 2.0 may be even better than the first run.  The pieces and scenarios exist for them to take advantage of.
Reply/Quote
The last time a Bengals team won a prime time game by 14+ points, against a team with a winning record?

Thursday, Dec. 4th, 1997 against the 7-6 Tennessee Oilers. 41-14

The Corey Dillon rookie rushing record game. 

I was there. Almost 19 years ago.  Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 05:35 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I'm with you on this. We need to chill out.

The offense improved in some major weaknesses against the best D in the NFL. If our defense played like they should have, we would've won this game comfortably.

THe defense was the bigger WTF today, but that can and will improve with Vontaze Burfict's return (assuming he's rdy for Miami, he better be!)

This was our toughest stretch of the season. We have two winnable games coming up, and I wouldn't be suprised if the Bengals matched up with Brady the following week. If not, it's smooth sailing from there with a winnable game in-between a division game/question mark game.

We need to chill out.

Sorry to singly you out, buddy, but we do not need to chill out.  The team does not need to chill out and neither should we.  The team should be disgusted at their lack of adaptation to what Denver's offense was doing.  They should be mad at what a first year started did to them.  They should be embarrassed by their lack of execution on offense.  But here is the problem:  No one will admit that there is a problem with the schemes are game plan.  They will simply say "we need to block better" or "we need to tackle better".  When you are burned something like 15 times with out patterns only to get burned again a 16th time, there is a problem with your strategy.  They don't adapt, and they never admit there is a problem....instead, Marv will retort with "they (media/fans) don't understand".

You're right, Marv, I don't understand how you can keep doing things that don't work and expect a different result. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2016, 05:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. This was the toughest stretch of the schedule

3.  Burfict will be back soon (and we desperately need them apparently)

Yeah, the irony of these two things occurring at the same time, right? 

But what about the team having new resolve.  A team with an attitude.  A team that will say "screw you, Goodell, we will overcome this".  I don't see any life in this team at all.  A bunch of wet firecrackers.  Duds.  Can Burfict change the entire team's attitude?  Can the coach not impact this at all without him?  
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2016, 01:06 AM)Joelist Wrote: d) Why do we never do anything scheme wise to help our receivers get even a little more open? It is aggravating to always see opposing receivers sitting in giant holes with no one anywhere around them while our receivers are always covered tight. For example, tonight versus the Bears the Cowboys used pick plays as a standard tactic with Whitten running a route designed to mask the real receiver from defenders. We NEVER do that stuff and instead just send the boys out and expect them to win their matchups.

Ugh. I've wondered the same thing for years. You almost never see one of our receivers wide open - as if the defense got completely fooled. Yet it seems to happen a few times in every non-Bengals game I watch. 

I'm not going to pretend I know why it happens, but it's definitely something I've noticed almost every season, and it's been that way for a long time. 

(09-26-2016, 01:29 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The last time a Bengals team won a prime time game by 14+ points, against a team with a winning record?

Thursday, Dec. 4th, 1997 against the 7-6 Tennessee Oilers. 41-14

The Corey Dillon rookie rushing record game. 

I was there. Almost 19 years ago.  Mellow

Yikes. That's sad, but I kinda expected you'd have to go back pretty far considering Marvin is lucky to win in prime time at all. Let alone comfortably against a winning team. I'm a little surprised he's NEVER done it though.

(09-26-2016, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, the irony of these two things occurring at the same time, right? 

But what about the team having new resolve.  A team with an attitude.  A team that will say "screw you, Goodell, we will overcome this".  I don't see any life in this team at all.  A bunch of wet firecrackers.  Duds.  Can Burfict change the entire team's attitude?  Can the coach not impact this at all without him?  

How many times can the same coach get the same players motivated to tackle a 16 game schedule after so many deflating playoff losses? I remember Jeremy Hill saying "it's now or never" last year. At some point these guys are going to lose their resolve if the end result continues to be "disappointing 1st round playoff loss".
Reply/Quote