Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The sky is falling...I think?
Stuff I've seen thus far last night and today.

A.J. Green is obviously no longer a top 10 receiver. 1 mistake in a preseason game confirms this.
Andy Dalton sucks. 1 bad INT and a couple other poor decisions in a preseason game brings the confirmation level to 100%.
Offensive Line has proven to not be very good. PFF has lied about their ability over a 4 year span because of 1 preseason game.
Guenther runs a vanilla defense. Again, meaningless games have proven this to be true. We've never seen a team run vanilla in the preseason, right?
Gio sucks now. In a game where even Hill couldn't hit a hole, I'm sure Gio's statsheet tells the entire story!

It's easy to sum it up. We're just talkin' about preseason. Listen, we talking 'bout preseason. Not the regular season, not the regular season, we talkin' about preseason. Not a regular season game, not the regular season game that they go out there and die for, we talkin' about preseason, man. How silly is this when we're talkin' about preseason???
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:39 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Stuff I've seen thus far last night and today.

A.J. Green is obviously no longer a top 10 receiver. 1 mistake in a preseason game confirms this.
Andy Dalton sucks. 1 bad INT and a couple other poor decisions in a preseason game brings the confirmation level to 100%.
Offensive Line has proven to not be very good. PFF has lied about their ability over a 4 year span because of 1 preseason game.
Guenther runs a vanilla defense. Again, meaningless games have proven this to be true. We've never seen a team run vanilla in the preseason, right?
Gio sucks now. In a game where even Hill couldn't hit a hole, I'm sure Gio's statsheet tells the entire story!

It's easy to sum it up. We're just talkin' about practice. Listen, we talking 'bout preseason. Not the regular season, not the regular season, we talkin' about preseason. Not a regular season game, not the regular season game that they go out there and die for, we talkin' about preseason, man. How silly is this when we're talkin' about preseason???

I agree, but the "Chicken Little Squad" just loves to over react.

TB wanted to make a good showing n front of their fans, and they actually game planned and blitzed to show off.  When one tries to win in the pre-season it says something about the quality of the team and expectations.  Now no one enjoys seeing their team perform poorly, but it's pre-season and meaningless.  The Bengals record is currently 0-0 and will remain so until week 1.

With that said, it doesn't help us evaluate young layers when the opposing team is game planning to win.  Reminds me of the NO game in 2008 when Palmer got his nose bloodied.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The sky has never fallen due to a preseason football game. Check it out yourself. Walk outside and take a breath. If you can breath the sky hasn't fallen.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Folks with a good football eye know what to pull out of a preseason game. And that's individual performances. And you can learn a lot believe it or not. Hence the problems we saw last night aren't preseason problems. They are regular season demons that are still alive and well.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: Folks with a good football eye know what to pull out of a preseason game. And that's individual performances. And you can learn a lot believe it or not. Hence the problems we saw last night aren't preseason problems. They are regular season demons that are still alive and well.

Did your super duper football eye tell you that the Steelers offense was going to be the most explosive in the league in 2014 after watching some preseason games?

Doubt it.

Le'Veon Bell didn't look good and AB and Ben looked mediocre outside of 1 game. Funny thing is that those 3 ended up as 3 of the best offensive players in the league last year. Crazy shit, huh?
Reply/Quote
Are you denying these issues aren't regular season issues? Not to be rude, but Dj you are alone in that argument.

If the Steelers looked like they did in the preseason in the regular season then I'd say the same about them and their issues not being resolved.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: Folks with a good football eye know what to pull out of a preseason game. And that's individual performances. And you can learn a lot believe it or not. Hence the problems we saw last night aren't preseason problems. They are regular season demons that are still alive and well.

not really except for  two..

AJ Green has always been lazy when catching or attempting to catch a pass

without Johnson..and we dont know how good johnson will be..pass rush with this team is a problem

it looked bad last night but the bengals did not show anything that is remotely indicative of regular season game planning
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:16 AM)jj22 Wrote: Are you denying these issues aren't regular season issues? Not to be rude, but Dj you are alone in that argument.

If the Steelers looked like they did in the preseason in the regular season then I'd say the same about them and their issues not being resolved.

Can we at least wait until this coming regular season to decide whether A.J. loses his top 10 status or that our o-line is automatically not good anymore? Maybe we should wait to see real time action before declaring that Andy sucks and Gio sucks.

I don't know, call me crazy, but this is a HUGE overreaction by a lot of people. I can understand discussing the preseason games, I can understand being worried about certain things, don't get me wrong about that.

What I can't understand is how ridiculous some people are sounding with their falling of the sky attitudes. The overall ranking and status of A.J. Green, Andy Dalton, Giovani Bernard, and the collective offensive line will NOT change based on what happens in 4 glorified scrimmage games, not matter how much some of you want it to.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:59 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Did your super duper football eye tell you that the Steelers offense was going to be the most explosive in the league in 2014 after watching some preseason games?

Doubt it.

Le'Veon Bell didn't look good and AB and Ben looked mediocre outside of 1 game. Funny thing is that those 3 ended up as 3 of the best offensive players in the league last year. Crazy shit, huh?

I have to agree..preseason is meaningless and anyone suggesting that last night is a prelude of things to come just does not understand football..but again ..2 concerns.. pass rush and AJ Greens laziness when attempting to catch a football
Reply/Quote
Not a prelude to things to come? A game like last night has already came and gone a couple times over the Marvin era. What are you guys talking about?!

Last night wasn't a prelude of things to come smh....... Has anyone seen a playoff game? A primetime game?

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:28 AM)jj22 Wrote: Not a prelude to things to come? A game like last night has already came and gone a couple times over the Marvin era. What are you guys talking about?!

My only legitimate concern is how the hell does a team look so unprepared in primetime, even in preseason? That blows my mind.

However, A.J. is still a top 10 guy, Andy doesn't suck, Gio doesn't suck, and our o-line is still one of the best in the league until proven otherwise in games that actually matter.

Like I said, there can be concerns from these preseason games, but the insane overreactions are what I'm mostly focusing on here. I do understand why you'd be so upset, since some of your personal quotes assisted in the creation of this thread.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:28 AM)jj22 Wrote: Not a prelude to things to come? A game like last night has already came and gone a couple times over the Marvin era. What are you guys talking about?!

what game..you mean some preseason nonsense..they had second and third stringers in all night long. they had players that wont even make this club playing all night long.

if the regular season started this Sunday and the Bengals played Tampa Bay at home..I can assure you the outcome would be entirely different.

Tampa with Winston played this game like it was their Superbowl at home..they had to..you do realize they lost every game at home last year and have to recapture their fan base.

Relax dude
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:34 AM)djs7685 Wrote: My only legitimate concern is how the hell does a team look so unprepared in primetime, even in preseason? That blows my mind.

However, A.J. is still a top 10 guy, Andy doesn't suck, Gio doesn't suck, and our o-line is still one of the best in the league until proven otherwise in games that actually matter.

Like I said, there can be concerns from these preseason games, but the insane overreactions are what I'm mostly focusing on here. I do understand why you'd be so upset, since some of your personal quotes assisted in the creation of this thread.

unprepared for what? because it was Monday Night Football preseason. The bengals dd not game plan like they normally would and all they did last night was to allow players , some second and third stringers, to get some playing time for evaluation..RELAX
Reply/Quote
Oh I don't care about my personal quotes. Which one? Green? You saw the highlight reel. They were ready for that attack. You just don't prepare a lowlight reel like that in 1 minute. No longer does Green get a free ride to the number 2 wideout in the league spot. With the young talented wide outs in the league now Green is out of the top 10 in most rankings. #truth. I'm not sure about any of my other quotes you used. But I speak the truth. So feel free to repeat whatever I say. Folks thinking last night was just 1 preseason game just haven't been paying attention to Marv and Co's primetime record of the last dozen years. That's on them, not me. To me, that game looked all too familiar.

Reply/Quote
It might be silly objectively, but in the moment it's highly frustrating. People want to see improvement from their 5th year QB and for him to go out there and play like complete and utter crap is disappointing.

The O-Line wasn't much better but I'm not as worried about them because they tend to figure it out when it counts and are always rated very high.

The bottom line is that you expect to see improvement from certain players like Andy and when you don't get it, fans get annoyed.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:37 AM)xavierdude Wrote: what game..you mean some preseason nonsense..they had second and third stringers in all night long. they had players that wont even make this club playing all night long.

if the regular season started this Sunday and the Bengals played Tampa Bay at home..I can assure you the outcome would be entirely different.

Tampa with Winston played this game like it was their Superbowl at home..they had to..you do realize they lost every game at home last year and have to recapture their fan base.

Relax dude

Second stringers? I'm talking about the first team reps.  I know what to watch for when it comes to preseason games.

And would it be different? We barely beat them last season and that was without Winston or Glennon playing. I'm relaxed. Just not sure why folks act like they can't learn something from a preseason game. That tends to happen after a bad game.

I remember when Palmer got mauled by defenses in the preseason. And no one paid attention. And sure enough, the oline play took him out mid season.

I remember when we were suppose to ignore our struggles stopping the run last year during the preseason. Sure enough, we couldn't stop the run during the regular season.

You can't just disregard a preseason game. If you know what to watch for.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:45 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: It might be silly objectively, but in the moment it's highly frustrating.  People want to see improvement from their 5th year QB and for him to go out there and play like complete and utter crap is disappointing.

The O-Line wasn't much better but I'm not as worried about them because they tend to figure it out when it counts and are always rated very high.

The bottom line is that you expect to see improvement from certain players like Andy and when you don't get it, fans get annoyed.

The o-line was worse.  The QB relies on the o-line in order for him to do his job.  Yeah, when Dalton and McCarron are throwing checkdowns they hold up well.  Not so much when the pass requires more than 2 seconds.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:40 AM)xavierdude Wrote: unprepared for what? because it was Monday Night Football preseason. The bengals dd not game plan like they normally would and all they did last night was to allow players , some second and third stringers, to get some playing time for evaluation..RELAX

Unprepared as in, they looked completely flat and like they weren't ready to play a football game. They came out in the first preseason game looking very good as they should have. This time they didn't. That's at least a little bit concerning to me because it has absolutely been a trend under Marvin Lewis in primetime football games.

A.J. Green drops a ball here and there, and he had a bad fumble in recent memory (hint: every NFL WR does this stuff, but some people nitpick A.J. because he plays for the Bengals and we can't have nice things or our fanbase gets mad about it), so I'm not too concerned with calling him out of the top 10 just because of a stupid play in a meaningless preseason game.

The o-line has ranked near the top of the league for a few years now, so I'm not too concerned with them having a rough outing. I am, however, concerned with our center because he has consistently been mediocre or worse.

Like I said, you can surely take SOME things out of preseason games, but I'm not overly concerned with most of it because it's...preseason. People freaking out saying our guys are no longer top 10 after last night are either joking or don't understand how player rankings work.
Reply/Quote
I just don't get it. What is the sense in watching, or heck, even playing pre-season games if we can't learn anything from them? Yes it is a pre-season game, but you still see team or individual tendencies whether it is the first team, second team, or fourth team. You see them in pre-season and still see some of them in the regular season. I can understand why fans get upset seeing things in the pre-season that we have seen in the regular season before. We shouldn't be seeing the same problems year after year.

Why are we not allowed to get upset over what we see in the pre-season? It's still our team and they didn't look good. I'm not ready to throw the towel in on this team yet after last night's performance, or lack therof, but I certainly wasn't encouraged much from it. We definitely have a lot of work to do.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 10:42 AM)jj22 Wrote: Oh I don't care about my personal quotes. Which one? Green? You saw the highlight reel. They were ready for that attack. You just don't prepare a lowlight reel like that in 1 minute. No longer does Green get a free ride to the number 2 wideout in the league spot. With the young talented wide outs in the league now Green is out of the top 10 in most rankings. #truth.

They also have hundreds of other clips "ready" as well. I'm going to assume that you're grossly underestimating what they're capable of broadcasting at any given moment.

I don't think Green gets a free ride to the #2 spot in the league either, but you're just lying if you say he's out of the top 10 in most rankings. We have gone through this in another thread, and the only thing you could come up with was the NFL Top 100 Players list (which we've established is a joke), and some random blog without credible writers.

A.J. is a top 10 receiver, and a play in preseason plus a reel of a couple mistakes over a 4 year span doesn't change that. Some people just use the most absurd logic when arguing.

#realtalk #truth #word #forshizzle #facebook #twitter #idontthinkthisdoesanythingonhere
Reply/Quote