Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The stat nobody talks about
We are all aware of Marvin Lewis's 0 & 7 playoff record. His failure to win high profile, high pressure games is known. The blown time outs, the chaos and lack of discipline is no secret. But the thing nobody mentions is his abysmal record vs Pittsburgh. Marvin has played the Steelers 29 times and lost 21 times. How can this be acceptable to Bengal fans?

What if it were reversed? What if a Steeler coach had 21 losses against the Bengals? We all know what would happen. But Bengal fans are so tolerant of failure, they simply sit back and take it. Marvin's miserable record, is never his fault. This is why Pittsburgh is suscessful. They wouldn't accept this crap.

Am I right?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 06:29 PM)Antares Wrote: We are all aware of Marvin Lewis's 0 & 7 playoff record. His failure to win high profile, high pressure games is known. The blown time outs, the chaos and lack of discipline is no secret. But the thing nobody mentions is his abysmal record vs Pittsburgh. Marvin has played the Steelers 29 times and lost 21 times. How can this be acceptable to Bengal fans?

What if it were reversed? What if a Steeler coach had 21 losses against the Bengals? We all know what would happen. But Bengal fans are so tolerant of failure, they simply sit back and take it. Marvin's miserable record, is never his fault. This is why Pittsburgh is suscessful. They wouldn't accept this crap.

Am I right?

Cut the shit about Bengal fans just "sitting back and taking it".  That is nothing but low level trolling.

If you are a Bengal fan who doesn't "tolerate failure" then why have you not changed our coach by now?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 06:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cut the shit about Bengal fans just "sitting back and taking it".  That is nothing but low level trolling.

If you are a Bengal fan who doesn't "tolerate failure" then why have you not changed our coach by now?

So what exactly do you disagree with? Bengal fans are taking it. There is no outrage. Bengal fans seem to be content with the ass kicking that Pittsburgh has given Marvin over his entire career.

I'm asking you a simple question. What do you think would happen to a Steeler coach who lost 21 out of 29 games to the Bengals?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 06:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cut the shit about Bengal fans just "sitting back and taking it".  That is nothing but low level trolling.

I have to agree that he's blowing it out of proportion and overestimating exactly what sort of impact fans have on a team's success.  I always thought it was rather self-serving that the fans of good teams (when they are good, mind you) like the Seahawks or Steelers seem to believe the team is good because THEY are a part of it.  Odd...I had no idea I was the reason Akili Smith sucked...my bad.  Also, Steeler fans apparently stopped being good fans during the 80s and so on and so forth.

However, you have to admit that Bengals fans certainly have a lower bar set for success than the fans of many other teams.  It's relative though.  The Browns going 8-8 is like the Bengals winning a playoff game is like the Pats/Steelers etc winning the Super Bowl.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 06:40 PM)Antares Wrote: So what exactly do you disagree with? Bengal fans are taking it. There is no outrage. Bengal fans seem to be content with the ass kicking that Pittsburgh has given Marvin over his entire career.

I'm asking you a simple question. What do you think would happen to a Steeler coach who lost 21 out of 29 games to the Bengals?

This is nothing but trolling.  Bengal fans are outraged over our losses to the Steelers.

What do you think would happen to a Steeler coach who went 3-8 against the Ravens?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 06:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is nothing but trolling.  Bengal fans are outraged over our losses to the Steelers.

What do you think would happen to a Steeler coach who went 3-8 against the Ravens?

I'm not sure why you are angry. And I'm not sure after all the meltdowns, the chokes, the high pressure losses and chaos why fans still stick by Marvin. I'm just not getting it. Media types such as Ken Broo, same thing.

BTW here's the answer: Any Pittsburgh coach who lost 21 games to the Bengals would be out the door. The fans would definitely would not be sticking with him. And you know this to be true.

And what is a troll? Aparently its somebody who asks difficult questions or anybody that you disagree with. Honestly I'm not sure where your anger is coming from. It's just a simple football question. This an entertainment forum. Yes?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 06:29 PM)Antares Wrote: We are all aware of Marvin Lewis's 0 & 7 playoff record. His failure to win high profile, high pressure games is known. The blown time outs, the chaos and lack of discipline is no secret. But the thing nobody mentions is his abysmal record vs Pittsburgh. Marvin has played the Steelers 29 times and lost 21 times. How can this be acceptable to Bengal fans?

Am I right?

Who doesnt talk about these stats? Everyone knows we've sucked against Pitt and no one wants to tolerate it, but who really cares? I don't get what the fans or losing to the steelers has to do with a coach getting fired. If we lost 21 straight to the steeless but constantly making/winning AFC championships and super bowls no one would care. Marvins 0-7 playoff record is way more important and something to talk about then losing to the Steelers. Pitt would never fire someone because they lose to the bengals, they would fire someone because they can't win in the freaking playoffs. 
 I'm sorry but this is a really stupid thread. 
Reply/Quote
My 2 cents ..... first of all with Pittsburgh it's not about which teams they lose to it's about winning SBs and making the playoffs. They could lose to the Bengals twice every year and still go 12-4, win the division and get a one or two seed.

Beside that, what options of 'protest' does a fan have except to boycott all games which would never happen in mass numbers anyway.
Reply/Quote
I don't think you are trolling and I see your point, lol believe me and you there would be a big outcry for his firing. Plus people do back Marvin up 50% of the time. Yeah so we can turn out like the reds!! What was we before marvin!? I see it all the time.
Reply/Quote

Am I right?

I think that pretty much every fan, including the biggest Marvin supporters, are pissed about the record versus the Steelers and in big stage games. Many fans are, and have been, very vocal about it. If you think it's a 'stat nobody talks about'...then you've never followed this board, or the previous one. 

It's not a matter of accepting it. There's nothing we can do about it. Whether you love or hate Marvin...the simple fact is that he'll be the HC until he or Mike Brown decides otherwise. I've personally been saying Marvin needs replaced since the SD game in '13. But...what I think or want has no impact on what Mike Brown does

You can call it 'acceptance'...I call it reality.

Now, what Mike Brown is willing to accept and tolerate is a whole different story. That's what it comes down to. Not what Bengals fans or the Steelers organization would do.
Reply/Quote
When Marvin put his d*** in the box and tried to auction it off...

[Image: th?id=OIP.M3ec997e26efb4871f24143358cc57...=225&h=154]

That is where I draw the line.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 06:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Odd...I had no idea I was the reason Akili Smith sucked...my bad.  

Finally.  See, was that so hard?  Whatever
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 07:02 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Who doesnt talk about these stats? Everyone knows we've sucked against Pitt and no one wants to tolerate it, but who really cares? I don't get what the fans or losing to the steelers has to do with a coach getting fired. If we lost 21 straight to the steeless but constantly making/winning AFC championships and super bowls no one would care. Marvins 0-7 playoff record is way more important and something to talk about then losing to the Steelers. Pitt would never fire someone because they lose to the bengals, they would fire someone because they can't win in the freaking playoffs. 
 I'm sorry but this is a really stupid thread. 

Sorry, acting as if all those losses to Pittsburgh don't matter? Now that's stoooopid. If someone had told you when Marvin was hired that he would end up losing more games to the Steehlas than anybody in the history of the NFL, I'm betting you would have said, thanks but no thanks. Oh yeah. Victories against Pittsburgh are sweet and losses are bitter. Any Bengal fan will tell you that. You can be sorry if you like, But you can also wrong.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 07:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think that pretty much every fan, including the biggest Marvin supporters, are pissed about the record versus the Steelers and in big stage games. Many fans are, and have been, very vocal about it. If you think it's a 'stat nobody talks about'...then you've never followed this board, or the previous one. 

It's not a matter of accepting it. There's nothing we can do about it. Whether you love or hate Marvin...the simple fact is that he'll be the HC until he or Mike Brown decides otherwise. I've personally been saying Marvin needs replaced since the SD game in '13. But...what I think or want has no impact on what Mike Brown does

You can call it 'acceptance'...I call it reality.

Now, what Mike Brown is willing to accept and tolerate is a whole different story. That's what it comes down to. Not what Bengals fans or the Steelers organization would do.
You absolutely can do something about it. You can voice your opinion loudly. That is what fans do when they are not happy. That's all we can do. We complain about officiating when we can't do anything about it. Nobody stays quiet when the officials screw up. But Marvin gets a pass by most Bengal fans.  Most of the fans and the Ken Broos of the world prefer to support Marvin or remain silent.

But you do make some good points
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 07:44 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I don't think you are trolling and I see your point, lol believe me and you there would be a big outcry for his firing. Plus people do back Marvin up 50% of the time. Yeah so we can turn out like the reds!! What was we before marvin!? I see it all the time.

It seems that under Marvin, the Bengals typically finish just below what there talent level should dictate. With a decent coach and this talent level would the Bengals have the ring by now?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 08:12 PM)Antares Wrote: Sorry, acting as if all those losses to Pittsburgh don't matter? Now that's stoooopid. If someone had told you when Marvin was hired that he would end up losing more games to the Steehlas than anybody in the history of the NFL, I'm betting you would have said, thanks but no thanks. Oh yeah. Victories against Pittsburgh are sweet and losses are bitter. Any Bengal fan will tell you that. You can be sorry if you like, But you can also wrong.

In the comparison of playoff victories to steeler wins, no they don't matter at all. If someone told me we would lose to the steelers every year but win in the playoffs I couldn't care less what our record against the steelers would be. Playoff victories are sweet and losses are bitter. Any Bengal fan will tell you that. 
Reply/Quote
Yep, no one has ever talked about Marvin's playoff drought, or his lack of success against Pittsburgh, or his gameday management. Do tell sir, on which day last week were you born?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 08:20 PM)Antares Wrote: You absolutely can do something about it. You can voice your opinion loudly. That is what fans do when they are not happy. That's all we can do. We complain about officiating when we can't do anything about it. Nobody stays quiet when the officials screw up. But Marvin gets a pass by most Bengal fans.  Most of the fans and the Ken Broos of the world prefer to support Marvin or remain silent.

Do you even live in Cincinnati or listen to the radio/read the paper after every playoff loss or big game loss? Way more people are vocal about getting rid of Marvin and I personally don't think he's going to take us anywhere in the playoffs. At this point, any success we have in the playoffs will seem more like it's inspite of Marvin. But this ente thread is about how bengals fans are crap and steelers fans are oh so tough. Organizations don't listen to fans unless they're the Jets. The steelers management not letting a coach fail and keep his job has nothing to do with the fan base. You really think Mike Brown or other owners cares what we think? 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 08:20 PM)Antares Wrote: You absolutely can do something about it. You can voice your opinion loudly. That is what fans do when they are not happy. That's all we can do. We complain about officiating when we can't do anything about it. Nobody stays quiet when the officials screw up. But Marvin gets a pass by most Bengal fans.  Most of the fans and the Ken Broos of the world prefer to support Marvin or remain silent.

Again, not sure where you've been brother...but the subjects of the Bengals/Marvin in primetime and record against the Steelers have been talked about ad nauseam over the last few years. Plenty of fans have 'voiced' their opinions.
Reply/Quote

Is this a joke?  Good lord dude....
Reply/Quote