Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The vending machines at work
Do you realize your company keeps a percentage of the sales associated with each vending machine, generally between 10% and 30%.

I've seen people hit the vending machine every single break and even before and after work.

Average that out over a year to calculate how much you're working for free.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Did you know that in certain muffler and break shops around the city, the vending machines are owned and operated by that muffler and break shop and they buy soda and snacks in bulk and sell at an incredible markup making huge profit?

A company such as where you work found a way to make residual income which may keep their costs down just enough to save your job.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 08:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: A company such as where you work found a way to make residual income which may keep their costs down just enough to save your job.

If said company is scraping by to the point they need to employ a tactic like this, time to find a new employer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 08:46 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Did you know that in certain muffler and break shops around the city, the vending machines are owned and operated by that muffler and break shop and they buy soda and snacks in bulk and sell at an incredible markup making huge profit?

A company such as where you work found a way to make residual income which may keep their costs down just enough to save your job.

If your company is counting on residual sales from vending machines to keep business afloat or costs down, then your job is certainly in jeapordy. 
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 08:59 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: If said company is scraping by to the point they need to employ a tactic like this, time to find a new employer.

Best me to it. Rep
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 09:09 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Best me to it. Rep

HAHA.  Same page.
Reply/Quote
On the flipside, if your company offers free coffee, keep a close eye on that. When that goes away, your job may be next.
Reply/Quote
Depends on how big the company is, but still, you are complaining that a company in business to make money found a way to make money with little to no overhead.

Give me a break. I can understand gouging employees for every cent they make like corporations paying their employees with company money then the only place you can spend that money is at the company store or pay the rent on your company home built on company land, but vending machines? Really?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 10:23 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Depends on how big the company is, but still, you are complaining that a company in business to make money found a way to make money with little to no overhead.

Give me a break. I can understand gouging employees for every cent they make like corporations paying their employees with company money then the only place you can spend that money is at the company store or pay the rent on your company home built on company land, but vending machines? Really?

Yeah really. Bottom line is you're giving your money right back to the company, essentially working for free in some percentage. 

You can do it if you want. That's your bidness. But you won't see me giving them one red cent. 

What does that even mean, 'one red cent'?

Lets 
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 07:52 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Do you realize your company keeps a percentage of the sales associated with each vending machine, generally between 10% and 30%.

I've seen people hit the vending machine every single break and even before and after work.

Average that out over a year to calculate how much you're working for free.

This doesn't mean that you're working for free...it means you're working for tasty snacks, and I can totally get behind that.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 10:49 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yeah really. Bottom line is you're giving your money right back to the company, essentially working for free in some percentage. 

You can do it if you want. That's your bidness. But you won't see me giving them one red cent. 

What does that even mean, 'one red cent'?

Lets 

It's basically a kick back from the vending company so they can put their vending machines in there. If they aren't getting a kick back, another vending company is going to come in and offer one.  As a business owner would you not take the kick back?  You guys are thinking this is more malicious than what it is.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:05 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: This doesn't mean that you're working for free...it means you're working for tasty snacks, and I can totally get behind that.

If you're giving your money right back to the company that pays you, you're working for free. Despite the sugar (pun intended) coating. 
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:13 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: If you're giving your money right back to the company that pays you, you're working for free. Despite the sugar (pun intended) coating. 

Simple solution.  Don't buy anything from the vending machine.  I see people going to them all the time also. Buying things every day that they can go to the store and buy in bulk and save money.  I hit the vending machine maybe twice a year cuz I can't see spending 50 cents on a pack of crackers that I can go to walmart and get like 12 packs for $2
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:13 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: If you're giving your money right back to the company that pays you, you're working for free. Despite the sugar (pun intended) coating. 

Where I work, it goes into the Plant Activities Fund.
Carnivals for kids and the like.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:09 PM)crispy Wrote: It's basically a kick back from the vending company so they can put their vending machines in there. If they aren't getting a kick back, another vending company is going to come in and offer one.  As a business owner would you not take the kick back?  You guys are thinking this is more malicious than what it is.

I don't believe it's necessarily malicious. I'd do the same thing if I owned a company. Who wouldn't?

Still, this is just another perspective of something that is overlooked. 

It's sorta like that meme that's on FB from time to time. The one about how 10min shit breaks daily equals 40 hrs of vaca a year. 

And to be honest, the company that offers vending doesn't overlook the fact that you're giving your money right back to them, believe that. In that sense, I suppose it is malicious, but I can't blame them. 

I'm just offering a PSA. It's none of my bidness what you guys do with it. You can tow the company line, a company that looks at you as number and easily replaceable for the most part, or you can realize what they're doing and gain some level of self respect lol Ninja and keep your hard earned money and time in your own pocket. 
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:16 PM)crispy Wrote: Simple solution.  Don't buy anything from the vending machine.  I see people going to them all the time also. Buying things every day that they can go to the store and buy in bulk and save money.  I hit the vending machine maybe twice a year cuz I can't see spending 50 cents on a pack of crackers that I can go to walmart and get like 12 packs for $2

That's my point. 
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:18 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Where I work, it goes into the Plant Activities Fund.
Carnivals for kids and the like.

That's awesome. I applaud your company for that. And IDK, maybe other or most company's do something similar. It's certainly not been disclose to me anywhere I've worked if they do. 

I couldn't fault anyone for donating their money in this regard. 
Reply/Quote

No...youre investing some of your money back into your company...and getting a treat for doing so.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 11:31 PM)Beaker Wrote: No...youre investing some of your money back into your company...and getting a treat for doing so.

Ok it's an 'investment'. 

What's the return?
Reply/Quote
So if a company offers some sort of refreshment for their workers, they should have to sell it at the same price they buy it for or whatever?

Sounds like a great way to not have the company offer any sort of refreshment for their workers. I see no harm here. If you're not OK with the vending machine situation, bring your own. Really don't see an issue here.
Reply/Quote