Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There are only 2 genders
(02-09-2017, 11:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Sex is a biological construct, gender is the social construct. Gender roles are the behaviors that are then associated with the culturally identified gender. Since sex is basically binary (yea, I know, intersex exists too), the gender spectrum would have male on one end and female on the other, with everyone falling at different places (your girly girls, your tom boys, your manly men, your whatever insulting word we have for effeminate men... why that's the only negative one is a whole other sociological discussion). 

When did society tell you that you were a man?  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-09-2017, 11:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When did society tell you that you were a man?  

When it dressed me in blue, bought me trucks, and told me 'boys don't cry'. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-09-2017, 11:55 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: When it dressed me in blue, bought me trucks, and told me 'boys don't cry'. 

"It" did that to you because that is what is the expected role of the man. It did not construct your gender. 

(02-09-2017, 11:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: "It" did that to you because that is what is the expected role of the man. It did not construct your gender. 

Gender roles make up a gender, just as norms, values, and taboos make up a culture. Gender is 100% constructed. The fact that it is aligned to the two sexes doesn't change this fact. 

This is really sociology 101 stuff. If you didn't know all of this, I am glad that you now do. If you disagree with this free lesson that I provided for you, then I hope you're open to learning more about sociology the next time I engage in this topic. 

(02-10-2017, 12:12 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Gender roles make up a gender, just as norms, values, and taboos make up a culture. Gender is 100% constructed. The fact that it is aligned to the two sexes doesn't change this fact. 

This is really sociology 101 stuff. If you didn't know all of this, I am glad that you now do. If you disagree with this free lesson that I provided for you, then I hope you're open to learning more about sociology the next time I engage in this topic. 

Of course culture is a social construct; however gender is not. I'll give your free lesson the same consideration I give many free things. 

(02-09-2017, 11:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Sex is a biological construct, gender is the social construct. Gender roles are the behaviors that are then associated with the culturally identified gender. Since sex is basically binary (yea, I know, intersex exists too), the gender spectrum would have male on one end and female on the other, with everyone falling at different places (your girly girls, your tom boys, your manly men, your whatever insulting word we have for effeminate men... why that's the only negative one is a whole other sociological discussion). 

Gender is a biological construct. During fetal development, both DNA and hormones determine the gender of the fetus. The fetus can be male or female. Girly girl, effeminate male, butch female, etc are not genders. Those are how the person of that gender presents themselves to the world via the thoughts in their head. That does not change their gender. Gender roles such as how women should dress and act, etc....those are defined by society. You are either male, female, or transitioning from one to the other.
(02-09-2017, 04:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: And that goes for both those who insist boys be boys and girls be girls and those who want to tell us all about their desire to be the other.

I don't care what people do in their bedrooms, I don't care what's in their pants.

Well, this is only true because you are down with the Nature Boy! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(02-10-2017, 12:16 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course culture is a social construct; however gender is not. I'll give your free lesson the same consideration I give many free things. 
Guys !
Geyse !!
Gauize !!!

Don't make him flop it in the sink again.
I mean.... it's calloused, gnarly, and downright frightening.
I don't know what Uncle Sam did to it, but I'd wager it's now listed within the Geneva Convention.
(02-10-2017, 08:32 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Guys !
Geyse !!
Gauize !!!

Don't make him flop it in the sink again.
I mean.... it's calloused, gnarly, and downright frightening.
I don't know what Uncle Sam did to it, but I'd wager it's now listed within the Geneva Convention.

Needs a rallying cry. LETS TAKE THIS DISCUSSION TO CVG!
(02-10-2017, 06:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: Gender is a biological construct. During fetal development, both DNA and hormones determine the gender of the fetus. The fetus can be male or female. Girly girl, effeminate male, butch female, etc are not genders. Those are how the person of that gender presents themselves to the world via the thoughts in their head. That does not change their gender. Gender roles such as how women should dress and act, etc....those are defined by society. You are either male, female, or transitioning from one to the other.

You're using the words "sex" and "gender" interchangeably, which in common usage is often ok (because "sex" is a dirty word for some snowflakes), but from a sociological perspective, particularly in this discussion about trans people and "gender", "gender" has a completely different meaning. 

This seems to be an issue that many cannot get past but will need to if they actually want to discuss the topic at hand, and pretending like these distinctions do not exist makes absolutely no sense, especially when the person you are talking to acknowledges the relative binary nature of "sex". 

This thread makes me want to start my own thread entitled, "There are only 5 vowels".
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(02-13-2017, 12:28 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: This thread makes me want to start my own thread entitled, "There are only 5 vowels".

"Y"&"W" disagree although I've yet to find a W example that's what the nuns told me and by God they are never wrong.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-13-2017, 12:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: "Y"&"W" disagree although I've yet to find a W example that's what the nuns told me and by God they are never wrong.

You gave in to the ruler-hand-spanking, didn't you?  Ninja

[Image: LIGHTS.jpg]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(02-09-2017, 01:20 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: You're born a male or a female unless you are unfortunate enough to be born a mix of both. When someone says they identify with being a male but they're female that's not an abstract concept they want to fit into it's one of two defined categories. The differences in those categories are defined by our chemical makeup and the organs we posses in our bodies. Gender roles and societies view on a certain gender is separate from this.

I do have to wonder at times if we're missing the big picture while doing gender swaps. I personally don't know anybody that experienced anything like that but the ones I witness on the internet and TV seem to want to fit a cookie cutter mold of what a man or a woman is "supposed" to be. If they are female switching to male they have a shaved head, workout and sport a "Tapout" t-shirt. If it's a male to female they want to look pretty and feminine and both sides look like they are over-compensating while missing the point society has been preaching for years that it doesn't matter what gender you are you can be whatever you want to be. So is gender really the issue or is putting off a persona/lifestyle the issue? Is it any different then a cross-dressing man who likes to feel pretty and dolled up? Being pretty doesn't define what it means to be a woman just like being strong doesn't define a man or is that all wrong?

In some cultures this is considered fortunate, not unfortunate. In some cultures it is even considered to make you divine or closer to god/the gods.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.