Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There will unbelievable days ahead and I'll remember these days.
(12-18-2020, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Laugh all you want but this is basic coach speak that every other HC would spew in the same situation.

No matter how bad things are you have to try and keep the players positive.  No coach has never improved anything by telling the press that the team is total shit and that they have no chance of beating anyone.  If you have a top tier team you might try and motivate them by claiming they can't win a big game "the way they are currently playing", but if you have a team that is one of the worst in the league you have a positive attitude if you hope to get any effort out of them at all.

Not once have I heard Zac Taylor say " Im the reason why this team as only won 4 games in 2 years and 1 AFC North game.
It all falls back on me......"
Hes not taking responsibility for why this team has been psssed  up.by the Browns and is back to bring a league
Laughingstock.
All.he recycles is "we are going to turn this thing around
Blah blah" meanwhile the players arent buying what he is selling 
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 02:54 PM)jason Wrote: Marvin Lewis worked wonders in Cincinnati. It's that simple.

He did.  I remember the Black Jesus memes when he arrived.  He turned a perennially awful team around and made them contenders.  And he did it in just a couple of years.  But he had his weaknesses as a coach and couldn't get them over the hump.  And when he left, it was time for him to go.  But man, I do remember riding that wave when he arrived and how exciting it was to see the quick uptick in the team's performance. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Laugh all you want but this is basic coach speak that every other HC would spew in the same situation.

No matter how bad things are you have to try and keep the players positive.  No coach has never improved anything by telling the press that the team is total shit and that they have no chance of beating anyone.  If you have a top tier team you might try and motivate them by claiming they can't win a big game "the way they are currently playing", but if you have a team that is one of the worst in the league you have a positive attitude if you hope to get any effort out of them at all.

Oh, bulshit.

I love how the alternative to not saying things like this (winning championships) always reverts to saying the exact opposite (we stink), as if there's not a million different things in between those two things.

This is not typical coach speak, not when you roll out a variation of this same response over and over again.

Typical coach speak is spewing out something similar to what I wrote earlier.  "We're just focused on Pittsburgh right now.... we need to be better.... I need to be better... we still have an opportunity to win some more ball games this year... we need to win games... this is unacceptable..."

Take your pick of some of those statements and jumble them up together, and fill in the blanks with any number of things you've heard from hundred and hundreds of coaches.

To go out there after a 4-24-1 start to your career, after a 30-7 loss to a 3 win team, after 5 straight losses, and say that you're going to remember this time when you're winning championships down the road is absurd.  It's completely tone-deaf and shows zero awareness.

Nobody wants to hear about winning championships right now when you can't even win 3 games in a single season.  No one.  And there's very few coaches that would go out there after these results and be stupid enough to keep trying to present this grand future when they can't even win a single road game.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 11:27 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Jesus F'n Christ....

Your team just lost to the Cowboys 30-7.  You produced a whopping 7 points against the league's 32nd ranked defense.

You've averaged a paltry 10 points a game over your last 5 games.  And that's with a kickoff return in there!!!

You've NEVER won a road game.

You're winless in the division.

You're winless againt the NFC East, the worst conference in the entire league.

You're 4-24-1!!!!

Did it ever occur to you that people don't want to hear this bs right now?  Read the freaking room you dunce.

It's one thing to trot out this rah-rah, bubblegum bs after a tough loss in the midst of a 6-10 year 1.  But to do this in year 2 with all of the above?  Get the **** outta here with this garbage.

This douchebag that rolled out of clown car has absolutely no awareness whatsoever.  SHUT...THE...****...UP!!!!
well put....nothing more to add here
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 02:54 PM)jason Wrote: Marvin Lewis worked wonders in Cincinnati. It's that simple.

Just like no one can with with this current roster, I think a LOT of coaches could have done what Marvin did, or much better, when they had a loaded roster back then.  

Marv's finish showed what he could do with a below average roster.  
Reply/Quote
If unbelievable = I can't believe how bad this team is, I agree. They are ahead!
The only "good" win this year was beating the Titans. Otherwise, it was business as usual, as their only other win was against a team that only has 1 win all year.

I'd like someone to press Taylor on what his personal goal is for the team next year with everyone healthy. If he says anything other than 8+ wins, that's unacceptable. And if he did say that, I'd make that the requirement to keep him around beyond 2021. Hit 8 wins or get out.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 04:28 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think a LOT of coaches could have done what Marvin did, or much better, when they had a loaded roster back then.  

You mean like the 2011 roster that was picked to be the worst team in the league?
Reply/Quote
Marvin succeeded with a franchise where Shula, Coslett, Lebeau, and now Taylor have failed miserably.

The management team largely was the same. That says something...and that something is that just any coach can't win here.

Coughlin questioned if he could win under this structure.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 05:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Marvin succeeded with a franchise where Shula, Coslett, Lebeau, and now Taylor have failed miserably.

The management team largely was the same. That says something...and that something is that just any coach can't win here.

Coughlin questioned if he could win under this structure.

According to Bengals and other perrenial bottom dwelling team standards? Yes.
According to well-run franchise standards? No.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 06:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: According to Bengals and other perrenial bottom dwelling team standards? Yes.
According to well-run franchise standards? No.

That's just it...IF Marvin coached for the Steelers, he may have won a SB. Here, you have to do an amazing job in a bunch of areas to even break even.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 04:28 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Just like no one can with with this current roster, I think a LOT of coaches could have done what Marvin did, or much better, when they had a loaded roster back then.  

Marv's finish showed what he could do with a below average roster.  

I don't necessarily disagree... But the fact remains that nobody's come close to what he did with the Bengals in 30 years. I think if he'd been fired after the Chargers playoff loss that he'd have had another HC job in 2014. The aftermath of the Steelers meltdown, and the 3 seasons that followed really tarnished his reputation. For what it's worth, the generally accepted best coach in the bidness ain't exactly doin' great with a subpar roster in New England this year either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 06:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's just it...IF Marvin coached for the Steelers, he may have won a SB. Here, you have to do an amazing job in a bunch of areas to even break even.

I am not sure I buy into that thought. If he was 1-6 in the postseason, I might give more credence to it, but 0-7 in the postseason combined with his prime time game record? There was a failing in Marvin/his coaching that hit a real hard threshold of how successful he was able to be. 7 tries and you should almost be able to stumble into 1 at least.

53 coaches have been to at least 7 playoff games and ONLY Marvin out of those 53 has less than 2 wins.... heck, 51 of those 53 have at least 3 wins.

97 coaches have been to at least 4 playoff games and only Marvin and Jim Mora don't have at least 1 win.

0-3 in the postseason might be bad luck... but 0-7? There were 5 different QB, so 1 or 2 QBs can't be the scapegoat. There's simply something more failing there at that point.

2015 might have been the closest they came to winning a postseason game under Marvin, but 2013 still stands out most to me as a game where they simply were the overwhelmingly better team from a pure talent standpoint and still got beat. I'm not saying Mike Brown has done a good job running this team, but there were a couple years where they had all the talent they could have possibly needed and they still flopped under Marvin.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 06:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I am not sure I buy into that thought. If he was 1-6 in the postseason, I might give more credence to it, but 0-7 in the postseason combined with his prime time game record? There was a failing in Marvin/his coaching that hit a real hard threshold of how successful he was able to be. 7 tries and you should almost be able to stumble into 1 at least.

53 coaches have been to at least 7 playoff games and ONLY Marvin out of those 53 has less than 2 wins.... heck, 51 of those 53 have at least 3 wins.

97 coaches have been to at least 4 playoff games and only Marvin and Jim Mora don't have at least 1 win.

0-3 in the postseason might be bad luck... but 0-7? There were 5 different QB, so 1 or 2 QBs can't be the scapegoat. There's simply something more failing there at that point.

2015 might have been the closest they came to winning a postseason game under Marvin, but 2013 still stands out most to me as a game where they simply were the overwhelmingly better team from a pure talent standpoint and still got beat. I'm not saying Mike Brown has done a good job running this team, but there were a couple years where they had all the talent they could have possibly needed and they still flopped under Marvin.

My money would have been a SB win in '05 if Carson didn't go down.  Looking at the path through the playoffs that year and that Seahawks team in the final game, I think they would have gone all the way.  I'm a little less confident in the 2015 team in all honesty.  

But I agree at the end of the day, Lewis couldn't get his team to overcome.  Not consistently, and not when it mattered.  And there were some really embarrassing playoff losses, too.  
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 07:40 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: My money would have been a SB win in '05 if Carson didn't go down.  Looking at the path through the playoffs that year and that Seahawks team in the final game, I think they would have gone all the way.  I'm a little less confident in the 2015 team in all honesty.  

But I agree at the end of the day, Lewis couldn't get his team to overcome.  Not consistently, and not when it mattered.  And there were some really embarrassing playoff losses, too.  

I'd take that bet for 1 simple reason.

People remember Carson going down after completing his only attempt of the game to Chris Henry, but what people don't remember through all the pain of that moment is that the Bengals actually went into halftime with the lead despite Kitna being at QB... 17-14. The Carson drive ended in a FG, so Kitna actually led them on 2 TD drives of his own in the first half.

Kitna in the 1st half... 14-19, 109 yards, 1 TD/0 INT (3 rushes for 21 yards).

Then "journalistic jargon" kicked in at halftime and the Bengals got outscored 17-0 in the second half. 

Reply/Quote
It cracks me up when people look at 30 years under Mike Brown and try to claim that it was just a huge coincidence that Marvin had tons of talent for several playoff teams and none of the other coaches ever had enough to even produce one winning season.

The reason Marvin had more talent is because he was able to select better players and was able to coach those players up better.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 07:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Then "journalistic jargon" kicked in at halftime and the Bengals got outscored 17-0 in the second half. 

Kitna threw two picks and fumbled in the second half.

Silly of Marvin to call those plays I guess.Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 08:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kitna threw two picks and fumbled in the second half.

Silly of Marvin to call those plays I guess.Rolleyes

The Steelers adjusted at halftime. The Bengals didn't.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 09:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was from Monday!

"I'm not going to be any different in front of [the media] than I am in front of the players and coaches. We believe in what we're doing. I think that's the most important thing," Taylor said on Monday. "That may be hard for people to believe given our track record of wins and losses, but there will unbelievable days ahead and I'll remember these days. I think a lot of people will forget them when we're playing for championships and playing for division titles and you're seeing great things on the field from our guys. I know we just have to weather the storm and get through it and look forward to the great days ahead."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/news/zac-taylor-odds-of-being-next-head-coach-fired-increase?__twitter_impression=true

A 30 to 7 ass whooping at home by the 3-9 Cowboys was a pretty unbelieveable day. I think I've had enough unbelieveable days since Taylor arrived. Possibly he'll leave soon and we can get back to having some good wins on the fields.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 08:59 PM)BengalChris Wrote: A 30 to 7 ass whooping at home by the 3-9 Cowboys was a pretty unbelieveable day. I think I've had enough unbelieveable days since Taylor arrived. Possibly he'll leave soon and we can get back to having some good wins on the fields.

The score might have looked like an ass whooping but it was far from that.
Turnovers played a big part of that game.
In fact the Bengals actually looked like the better team in controlling the ball most of the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 11:30 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: The score might have looked like an ass whooping but it was far from that.
Turnovers played a big part of that game.
In fact the Bengals actually looked like the better team in controlling the ball most of the game.

Lol. Losing by 3+ TDs and looking like the better team. You know turnovers count as far as how a team looks?

So IF we didnt fumble 3 times and scored more than the 8 points a game we've averaged without Burrow...we'd have won!

You sound like a Zac press conference!
Reply/Quote