Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There ya go Mike Brown ...
(01-23-2019, 12:48 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Also, fun fact, who was the last coach to win a playoff game in Cleveland?

Who was Bill Parcells' DC on those Super Bowl teams?

I think people are selling the Hood short.

I’d say the same about Brady.

Apparently Robert Kraft made a statement recently that he thinks Brady is the GOAT football player, not just QB. And at this point I don’t think he’s wrong. As good as the likes of Jim Brown, LT, etc were, Brady plays the most important position, and with a now 9th SB appearance (which is just insane) there’s really no debate whether he’s the best QB of all time. So by default I would agree he’s the best football player. Kind of how I think Munoz is the GOAT olineman because he’s the best LT ever, which is the most important position on the OL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 01:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d say the same about Brady.

Apparently Robert Kraft made a statement recently that he thinks Brady is the GOAT football player, not just QB. And at this point I don’t think he’s wrong. As good as the likes of Jim Brown, LT, etc were, Brady plays the most important position, and with a now 9th SB appearance (which is just insane) there’s really no debate whether he’s the best QB of all time. So by default I would agree he’s the best football player. Kind of how I think Munoz is the GOAT olineman because he’s the best LT ever, which is the most important position on the OL.

With me there's not even a second of hesitation in saying Brady is the goat, there's just no arguing against it.

But would he have been in 8 soon to be 9 Super Bowls and won 5 perhaps 6 of them and been in 13 AFCC and so on if he played for the Bengals ? Browns ? Titans ? Lions ? and on and on ?

I seriously doubt it !!!!

I'm not saying he wouldn't have been a winner elsewhere, by no means. Just not at the same level he is with the hoodie.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 10:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: With me there's not even a second of hesitation in saying Brady is the goat, there's just no arguing against it.

But would he have been in 8 soon to be 9 Super Bowls and won 5 perhaps 6 of them and been in 13 AFCC and so on if he played for the Bengals ? Browns ? Titans ? Lions ? and on and on ?

I'm not saying he wouldn't have been a winner elsewhere, by no means. Just not at the same level he is with the hoodie.

Agreed. Most of the greats had top notch coaches. Brady/Belichick, Montana/Walsh, Brees/Payton, etc.

Peyton is probably the exception. But he’s pretty much the greatest football mind of his time.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 11:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agreed. Most of the greats had top notch coaches. Brady/Belichick, Montana/Walsh, Brees/Payton, etc.

Peyton is probably the exception. But he’s pretty much the greatest football mind of his time.

Totally agree about Manning.  He did have Tom Moore, the guy who laid all that knowledge on him..

I wonder if anybody has ever approached Peyton about coaching.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 01:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d say the same about Brady.

......but I already acknowledged he's the best.  As '74 noted, I don't think Brady would have quite the success he has enjoyed without Bill.  Look at Rodgers, Manning, etc.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 11:49 AM)McC Wrote: Totally agree about Manning.  He did have Tom Moore, the guy who laid all that knowledge on him..

I wonder if anybody has ever approached Peyton about coaching.

I think he'd make a good one.

Reply/Quote
Romo is another one that would probably make a great coach. Man that guy knows his stuff.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 10:19 PM)McC Wrote: Sam and Boomer, unfortunately, didn't get to keep their team together.

Sam had the one thing.  It was a magnificent thing, without a doubt.  But it was one thing.

Bill has everything.  Sam's thing and all the other things too.  And things no one else has.  It is very rare, ridiculously rare, that anybody throws something at him to which he has no answer.

The best way to beat them is to put constant pressure on Brady.  Occasionally, on a given day, someone will do it.  But it's gonna take a monster effort for sixty minutes to do it.  That is a lot to ask.

And as much of an offensive genius as Bill is, he's that much of a defensive whiz too.  This is what elevates him.   This is why he's the greatest ever.

There is absolutely no doubt to this.  As I noted earlier, he was Parcells' DC at NYG, NYJ, and NE.  Parcells took him everywhere but DAL, because BB was the head man in NE.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 12:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Romo is another one that would probably make a great coach. Man that guy knows his stuff.

No doubt.....he's the best analyst I've ever seen.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 12:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Romo is another one that would probably make a great coach. Man that guy knows his stuff.

Absolutely agree.  He calls every play before they happen, no matter who is playing.

It would be a loss for fans, though, because he is just so damn good in the booth.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 12:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: No doubt.....he's the best analyst I've ever seen.

Yes he is.

Reply/Quote
C'mon.. "BILL" has Robert Kraft and a pet lap dog who is so cleverly named Roger, but don't take my word for it.. My man Brian Tuohy says it best.. http://thefixisin.net/nfl2018.html

Quote:Patriots owner Robert Kraft holds a lot of sway in the league. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is basically his lap dog which is why he seems to attend every "important" Patriots game played. And remember, folks, the NFL is OWNED BY THE OWNERS. It's their league. They merely sell tickets for people to come watch the show they put on. And that's what your ticket amounts to: the right to see billionaires play make-believe with their million dollar toys. If you don't believe this, go and read my webpage The Proof.

So, the NFL allowed the Rams owner Stan Kroenke to rip the team out of St Louis ("But we care about our fans!") and move to LA (where the team was originally taken from -- not counting Cleveland, its real, original home), regardless of the bad blood in created in the city (and it created a lot -- including a few unmentioned lawsuits which the Rams settled out of court). Ownership then decided to build a new multi-billion dollar LA stadium which would be not just the home of the Rams, but lease out space so that the Chargers could call LA its home as well. Now if $500 million could buy a Stanley Cup berth for the Las Vegas Golden Knights -- and I believe it did -- what should $5 billion get a guy like Kroenke? A loss in the NFC Championship Game? Or a gift of at minimum a Super Bowl berth, if not an outright championship? 

You tell me because now, 17 years to the day that the Patriots, led by an unknown QB named Tom Brady, won their first ever Super Bowl over the "Greatest Show on Turf" known as the Rams (in a game which was horribly officiated and, yes, pre-determined), NFL fans will be treated to a rematch of that fateful game. Enjoy the puppet show!

Oh, and two bits of news: One, my wife had surgery this week and is recovering well. Thank you for all the thoughts & prayers. And two, only three entries into my Super Bowl contest had the Rams playing the Patriots. Good luck to those last few standing!
 ....not that I'm a conspiracy theorist or anything..  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 06:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: C'mon.. "BILL" has Robert Kraft and a pet lap dog who is so cleverly named Roger, but don't take my word for it.. My man Brian Tuohy says it best.. http://thefixisin.net/nfl2018.html

....not that I'm a conspiracy theorist or anything..  Nervous

I'll be right back.  Have to go get a telescope to read that print.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2019, 10:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: With me there's not even a second of hesitation in saying Brady is the goat, there's just no arguing against it.

Yup, peanut butter and jelly

Reply/Quote

It's perfect synergy.

You have the genius at making the plan and the genius at carrying it out.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Brady has the intangibles that make him the GOAT.  I do agree that a more talented, from a physical standpoint, QB would succeed there too.  Especially a guy like Manning that had both.  Bill's system just keeps churning out the hits.  How many times have we seen a HOF QB falter in other systems after winning SBs?  Another big part of it is Brady's willingness to play for far cheaper than he is worth.  He understands the team concept.  It's a lethal combo.

Just to be clear (not that you weren't), I wasn't knocking Brady so much as saying Bill has elevated Brady to GOAT status.

If you take Montana and put him with Belichick for his entire career, plus give him these rules protecting QB's, I don't see him coming out with any less than 6 rings...and better stats in the Super Bowl (which he already has). 

You're right though...Brady's willingness to play for less (which Peyton didn't have) is a big factor in their success.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 03:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just to be clear (not that you weren't), I wasn't knocking Brady so much as saying Bill has elevated Brady to GOAT status.

If you take Montana and put him with Belichick for his entire career, plus give him these rules protecting QB's, I don't see him coming out with any less than 6 rings...and better stats in the Super Bowl (which he already has). 

You're right though...Brady's willingness to play for less (which Peyton didn't have) is a big factor in their success.

Yep.  Bill is the best there ever has been, IMO.  I think he could take about anyone an win.  Could Brady win here under Merv?  I don't think so.  Could Bill win here with Merv's teams?  At least a couple SBs, I think.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 04:31 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yep.  Bill is the best there ever has been, IMO.  I think he could take about anyone an win.  Could Brady win here under Merv?  I don't think so.  Could Bill win here with Merv's teams?  At least a couple SBs, I think.

See, I completely disagree with this. I don’t think Bill would have won with just anyone. He missed the playoffs the one year he didn’t have Brady. They were 16-0 the year before...

I mean, we’ve seen other HC’s that were insanely dominant like Lombardi, but has there ever been another QB as dominant as Brady? 9 SB appearances...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=11643143]

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 05:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: See, I completely disagree with this. I don’t think Bill would have won with just anyone. He missed the playoffs the one year he didn’t have Brady. They were 16-0 the year before...

I mean, we’ve seen other HC’s that were insanely dominant like Lombardi, but has there ever been another QB as dominant as Brady? 9 SB appearances...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=11643143]

Bart Starr won 3 NFL championships and 2 SB's.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 05:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: Bart Starr won 3 NFL championships and 2 SB's.

Actually, wasn’t it 5 NFL Championships and 2 SB’s?

Only 1 league MVP to Brady’s 3 though. Brady also has 14 Pro Bowls to Starr’s 4. I’m not old enough to have watched Starr, but just looking at their careers I think Brady has been far more dominant.

Reply/Quote