Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that I think are affecting the Bengals more than people realize...
(09-19-2022, 12:36 PM)higgy100 Wrote: ...Just alot of intangibles as well that go into a position.

Including connection/trust with the QB.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:17 PM)Tomkat Wrote: It means that unless Hurst starts having break-out games with clutch catches/TD's - then he's a DOWNGRADE from Uzomah... SO FAR.
Your last sentence is a great example of a good counter-argument.

However, it is clear that Burrow doesn't have the same "connection" with Hurst as he did with Uzomah... YET.

I'm not saying it's the ONLY reason the Offense is struggling, I'm just saying it's ONE, UNDERRATED reason, thus the thread.

But your point makes no sense. Please provide any evidence that so far this season Hurst has been less impactful than CJ was at this point last season. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:17 PM)Tomkat Wrote: It means that unless Hurst starts having break-out games with clutch catches/TD's - then he's a DOWNGRADE from Uzomah... SO FAR.
Your last sentence is a great example of a good counter-argument.

However, it is clear that Burrow doesn't have the same "connection" with Hurst as he did with Uzomah... YET.

I'm not saying it's the ONLY reason the Offense is struggling, I'm just saying it's ONE, UNDERRATED reason, thus the thread.

I am just as confused as the other guy. You, verbatim, said "Unless Hurst immediately provides the same production as Uzomah did last season".

This is factually wrong. There is no arguing this. Hurst has been more productive than CJ thus far. CJ had four catches for 39 yards through the first two weeks. Hurst has 10 catches for 70 yards. Hurst is averaging more catches and more yards per game than CJ did. It is obvious that you are arguing some other point, but you haven't made that point very clear. 
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 10:06 AM)wcu Wrote: Two weeks in a row, we've seen offensive linemen asked to pull across the entire formation to pass block an elite tier rusher.  At the same time, we've seen tight ends and running backs isolated on those same elite tier rushers.  Obviously we're not privy to their scheme philosophies, but damn it seems like they need to reconsider their approach and get back to basics.

The miscommunications we've seen along the oline are surely directly attributable to a lack of snaps in the preseason, something we were all hesitant/concerned about.

I'm not necessarily concerned about what this team can be right now.  I know they can fix it.  However, I'm dreadfully concerned that we've dropped two very winnable games that are going to put us behind the 8-ball when the competition level ratchets up.  We're going to have to play mistake free ball from here on out.

If we lose to the Jets this week, I'll panic.

Right

You have to know where that guy is on every snap and set your blocking around it. Parsons was untouched or nearly untouched on way too many plays. How does that happen with NFL level coaching ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think Burrow cant believe the protection is as bad as last year. He and the coaching staff really believed things were fixed
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah...this is the most concerning part to me. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

I don't disagree. Joe has looked like he's staring down a 475 yard par 5 and all he has in his bag is a putter on many plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 01:21 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I am just as confused as the other guy. You, verbatim, said "Unless Hurst immediately provides the same production as Uzomah did last season".

This is factually wrong. There is no arguing this. Hurst has been more productive than CJ thus far. CJ had four catches for 39 yards through the first two weeks. Hurst has 10 catches for 70 yards. Hurst is averaging more catches and more yards per game than CJ did. It is obvious that you are arguing some other point, but you haven't made that point very clear. 

You are comparing the first 2 weeks of each season - which is not what I'm saying/asking.
Hurst needs to be a continuation of Uzomah's production at the end of last season (before Uzomah was injured) or else he's a downgrade (albeit maybe only temporarily.)
I'm saying one of the under-the-radar struggles of the offense is that Hurst's production isn't matching what Uzomah's was at the end of last season.

Hell, Uzomah basically single-handedly won the game vs the Jaguars, last season. Has Hurst had a game like that, yet? NO. Will he? Maybe. But, until he does - he's a downgrade.
Reply/Quote
Uzomah is better than Hurst because....

....HE JUST IS, OKAY?!??
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 02:25 PM)Tomkat Wrote: You are comparing the first 2 weeks of each season - which is not what I'm saying/asking.
Hurst needs to be a continuation of Uzomah's production at the end of last season (before Uzomah was injured) or else he's a downgrade (albeit maybe only temporarily.)
I'm saying one of the under-the-radar struggles of the offense is that Hurst's production isn't matching what Uzomah's was at the end of last season.

Hell, Uzomah basically single-handedly won the game vs the Jaguars, last season.  Has Hurst had a game like that, yet?  NO.  Will he?  Maybe.  But, until he does - he's a downgrade.

Lol, dude, Hurst is currently averaging more catches and yards than Uzomah did all last season, not just the first two weeks. What are you trying to say by "end of last season"? 

For the last three games of the season, Uzomah averaged 4 catches for 28 yards. For the last four games of the season, Uzomah averaged 4 catches for 35 yards per game. For the last five games of the season, Uzomah averaged 4 catches for 32 yards per game. 

Hurst is being more productive than Uzomah was - that's it. There isn't an argument to be made here. If you say otherwise, you're wrong. Now, if you are trying to say that you want him to be as productive as he was in the two post-season games (LV/TEN) then okay, sure. Or, if you are trying to say that you want Hurst to have the peaks that Uzomah did (JAX/BAL), okay, that's great. Those are different discussions. However, that hasn't been what you have communicated thus far. You have said that Hurst hasn't been as productive as CJ was, and there is no other answer to that other than "incorrect". 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 02:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Lol, dude, Hurst is currently averaging more catches and yards than Uzomah did all last season, not just the first two weeks. What are you trying to say by "end of last season"? 

For the last three games of the season, Uzomah averaged 4 catches for 28 yards. For the last four games of the season, Uzomah averaged 4 catches for 35 yards per game. For the last five games of the season, Uzomah averaged 4 catches for 32 yards per game. 

Hurst is being more productive than Uzomah was - that's it. There isn't an argument to be made here. If you say otherwise, you're wrong. Now, if you are trying to say that you want him to be as productive as he was in the two post-season games (LV/TEN) then okay, sure. Or, if you are trying to say that you want Hurst to have the peaks that Uzomah did (JAX/BAL), okay, that's great. Those are different discussions. However, that hasn't been what you have communicated thus far. You have said that Hurst hasn't been as productive as CJ was, and there is no other answer to that other than "incorrect". 

Tomkat thinks being invisible for 80% of the season with random blow up games is better than a guy who is just consistently better on average at being a receiver
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 09:38 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: #1 Bad offensive Coaching and game planning.

TOTALLY AGREE,Zac needs to find a top play caller and hire him NOW.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 02:49 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: TOTALLY AGREE,Zac needs to find a top play caller and hire him NOW.

Zac needs to give up playcalling to callahan
Reply/Quote
Its not players. Its the coaches. Teams know our strengths, the sit back in coverage and let 4 rush against our crap line, and dont let chase get deep. Last year, take away chase’s long TD catches and we dont even make thr playoffs.

Gonna be a long year, I see a top 10 pick coming.
Reply/Quote
Well we directly lost to the Cowboys courtesy of poor play calling. All three play calls on the last offensive series were moronic. When will our brain dead team learn that on third down unless it's third and LONG you run the routes up to the first down marker at minimum? Relying on a receiver to break a tackle to get the first is idiocy. With even competent play calling we would have had no problem getting into Money Mac range.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 02:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Lol, dude, Hurst is currently averaging more catches and yards than Uzomah did all last season, not just the first two weeks. What are you trying to say by "end of last season"? 

Granted it's a small sample-size, but has Hurst taken over a game like Uzomah has?  Has he had any CLUTCH huge plays and TD's?  Watch highlights from last season - there's a LOT of Uzomah in them.

Now, I WANT Hurst to be as good/better than CJ, as that helps the team.  However, I just don't see it... YET.  Maybe Burrow needs more time to develop that needed chemistry.  Maybe Hurst needs more time to develop that leadership role/mentality.  All I'm saying is if you think losing Uzomah has had zero effect on the Offense, you are "incorrect."
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 03:08 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Has he had any CLUTCH huge plays...

Yes. Week one against the Steelers, a 20 yard toe-tap catch in overtime on third down. Put Cincinnati at the 13 for a chip shot to win the game. Kick was missed, but that isn't his fault. 

Quote:Now, I WANT Hurst to be as good/better than CJ, as that helps the team.  However, I just don't see it... YET.  Maybe Burrow needs more time to develop that needed chemistry.  Maybe Hurst needs more time to develop that leadership role/mentality.  All I'm saying is if you think losing Uzomah has had zero effect on the Offense, you are "incorrect."

Okay, so you're arguing something different than what you said. You're arguing that CJ's intangibles are missed. You said production, but meant intangibles. Got it.
Reply/Quote
Disagree with 1,in that I think Hurst really looks good running his routes,and plays aggressive.They need to target him more,and pump the Brakes on Mixon.

I was surprised at how thin Burrow looked in the game against the Cowboys.He looks very fragile.And he doesn’t have the speed,or quickness he had last year in the postseason.

Of course I understand he’s been through a lot.Just thought he might have the weight back on by now,or most of it.He just looks weak.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 03:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yes. Week one against the Steelers, a 20 yard toe-tap catch in overtime on third down. Put Cincinnati at the 13 for a chip shot to win the game. Kick was missed, but that isn't his fault. 

Fair enough.
Reply/Quote