Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Sunday Is The First Test For This Defense
The defense has been playing great up to this point in 4 games, ranking in the top ten in almost every category, but is this just a product of schedule magic? (of the 4 teams we played so far they all have 4 combined wins between them all)

Well with Aaron Rodgers coming to town there will be no excuses this Sunday on where this defense stands against the NFL top teams.

What are your expectations? The defense to continue to play top 10 "D" or will the ball drop and see the Lou "D" we've been accustomed to watching the past two years?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 02:09 PM)GodFather Wrote: The defense has been playing great up to this point in 4 games, ranking in the top ten in almost every category, but is this just a product of schedule magic? (of the 4 teams we played so far they all have 4 combined wins between them all)

Well with Aaron Rodgers coming to town there will be no excuses this Sunday on where this defense stands against the NFL top teams.

What are your expectations? The defense to continue to play top 10 "D" or will the ball drop and see the Lou "D" we've been accustomed to watching the past two years?
Somewhere in the middle, slanted towards top 10. The "lou defense of the past" was with lesser players. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I expect to see a revived Defense getting after it like they did in every game except Jacksonville, now that they've had a little rest and gottne their starters back. I think Rodgers struggles.
Reply/Quote
Aaron Rodgers is going to move the ball especially considering he probably has the best wide receiver in football in Davante Adams.

The Bengals need to stop the run create pressure without blitzing and tackle. Limit yards force field goals...and of course score points.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Vikings are no joke. There record doesn't reflect how good they've been. That win should carry more weight around here then it does. Cousins isn't Rogers but it was still a quality showing by the whole team.
Reply/Quote
Rodgers is gonna turn into Jim Everett, strike that.....Chris Everett!
Reply/Quote
Agreed. By my metrics, the Packers are the 11th best offense. The Vikings are 20th, Bears 29th, Jaguars 30th and Steelers 27th. Long story short, Cincinnati has played some very weak offenses to start the year. On top of that, by the data I am seeing, GB is currently UNDERperforming on offense. I’m really hoping that Cincinnati proves they are a legit defensive unit this weekend because they have their work cut out for them.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 02:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Rodgers is gonna turn into Jim Everett, strike that.....Chris Everett!

I still wander if that was real or staged??
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 03:07 PM)Tony Wrote: I still wander if that was real or staged??

Seemed real to me. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 03:07 PM)Tony Wrote: I still wander if that was real or staged??

I’m almost certain that it was real. Everett has been asked about it plenty of times and maintains that it was not at all staged. Jim Rome does as well. In fact, Rome said that he regretted it in a 2003 interview, saying that he “went too far” by calling him Chris Everett three times.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 03:14 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m almost certain that it was real. Everett has been asked about it plenty of times and maintains that it was not at all staged. Jim Rome does as well. In fact, Rome said that he regretted it in a 2003 interview, saying that he “went too far” by calling him Chris Everett three times.

Everett forced his hand a bit by insisting he wouldn't call him that to his face.  Credit to Rome for doing it....well, credit as much as one can give for juvenile name calling. 
Reply/Quote
I think the secondary is going to have
To play their best game coverage wise this season
The defense has to force Rodgers to bring the
Ball.down and go to his secondary reads.
That way the pass rush can get home and not let
Rodgers get comfortable.
The Saints did a great job forcing Rodgers to read
The field.
We cant allow Rodgers and Adams to get insync.I rather
See checkdowns to Tonyan and Jones for 5 yds,then
23 yd gains to Adams.
Solid open field tackling is a requirement Sunday.
Reply/Quote
Aaron Rodgers is still ridiculous good. He can make ANY defense look bad.

If Bates and Awuzie are both out we are in trouble. I really like our D-line, but Rodgers can beat pressure.
Reply/Quote
One thing to note, Packers are asking around for CB help signaling their best defensive player Jaire Alexander may be out. This could be a huge break for the offense as their other corners are not good at all.
Reply/Quote
Really? We just have to talk down our team and players any time they look good?

ALL NFL teams are a defensive test. And MN has a good offense with receivers, a good back and a high middle tier QB in Cousins.

The defense has largely withstood four tests so far, including playing on three days rest missing multiple starters. GB is a different type of offense so we will see how well Lou game plans for them and such. But the idea that they have not been tested yet is incorrect.
Reply/Quote
Rodgers is one of the best Quarterbacks ever,on picking up blitzing and pressured into the pocket.We’re going to need Awuzies best game of the year on this one.Davanta Adams is leading the league right now with the most catches of all Wide Receivers.Bengals need to limit this guy,and get pressure on Rodgers to have any kind of chance.We need a perfect game from Bates as well.Bates and Awuzie better be there 100% or we are in trouble.They’ll be going up against the best Receiver in the NFL in Davante Adams.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 03:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: Really? We just have to talk down our team and players any time they look good?

ALL NFL teams are a defensive test. And MN has a good offense with receivers, a good back and a high middle tier QB in Cousins.

The defense has largely withstood four tests so far, including playing on three days rest missing multiple starters. GB is a different type of offense so we will see how well Lou game plans for them and such. But the idea that they have not been tested yet is incorrect.

No you are incorrect, being tested by the worst offenses is no true test. This isnt Pee Wee football, watching your kids and everyone gets a trophy. These are professional athletes who get paid millions of dollars to do their job.

And your wrong yet again, Minnesota's offense hasn't been good unless you consider 20th out of 32 good...your bar isnt too high..
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 04:17 PM)GodFather Wrote: No you are incorrect, being tested by the worst offenses is no true test. This isnt Pee Wee football, watching your kids and everyone gets a trophy. These are professional athletes who get paid millions of dollars to do their job.

And your wrong yet again, Minnesota's offense hasn't been good unless you consider 20th out of 32 good...your bar isnt too high..

I've avoided mention this because I don't feel like dealing with being called negative or doom and gloomy or people thinking it is a toss back to the off-season draft debate, but it is the same when you look at the offense. People are making threads and getting all hyped and tossing it around like this OL is completely fixed while they ignore the teams that were played. The Vikings are bad, and their defense ranks as giving up the 8th most yards in the NFL. The Steelers had multiple starters missing, including their best pass rusher in Watt a guy you have to game plan. The other win is against the defense allowing the 3rd most yards and a team that is just not good. The OL should be looking dominate in those games, the one time they played a really good front was the Bears, and the OL graded poorly. 

It is great to see the team winning games it should win, and it's great to have a winning record but it is also fair to be skeptical of the vast improvement until the team is tested more against better competition. Let's see how it looks after Green Bay, and Cleveland, and even Denver still has a good defense. 

I'm hopeful it continues, but anyone who was a fan of this team for more than two seasons knows that you have to be ready for things to drastically change at any moment. That isn't negative, that isn't combative or being down on the team, that is the programmed condition of being a Bengal fan for a lifetime. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Assuming Bates and Chido play (news seems to indicate that they will) - this will be the first time this season the entire defense is playing together. With Waynes and Chido both in the line up, we should be seeing less of Eli Apple.

I'm curious and excited to see what this defense looks like at full strength against an elite offensive opponent
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 03:57 PM)Au165 Wrote: One thing to note, Packers are asking around for CB help signaling their best defensive player Jaire Alexander may be out. This could be a huge break for the offense as their other corners are not good at all.

They just signed Rasul Douglas.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote