Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
This coaching staff is starting to really piss me off..
(11-11-2021, 12:32 AM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Some of those pressures was solely on the running backs..I gave you Carmen's current numbers from pff zero sacks and 7 pancake blocks that's work in progress for a rookie..he's truthfully the only lineman we have that plays with an attitude..

No. I’m referring to the pressures Carman himself gave up. He was Michael Jordan level bad against Green Bay.

Cincinnati Offensive Line Pass-Blocking in Week 5

Player Total Pressures Other Losses
LT Jonah Williams 2 0
LG Quinton Spain 1 1
C Trey Hopkins 3 1
RG Jackson Carman 7 2
RT Riley Reiff 2 0

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-5-game-recap-green-bay-packers-25-cincinnati-bengals-22
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 01:43 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: The way they've handled the Jackson Carman situation is nothing short of classless and it's not reflective of a winning franchise..Jackson Carman wasn't handed the job he went and worked really hard and was showing decent progress by all accounts up until now..

Everything we've heard week after week was that he continued to improve,so my question is how in the hell does adenji just get the job as if he's a proven commodity?? The kid was showing he belongs he won his matchup with cam heywood someone who wrecked havoc against us for years;he won his matchup with Brandon Williams another tackle we've struggled against..

I don't like this move at all it stinks and it's the type of move that could hurt the guys career..

It is very odd.  I don't know if Carman is still having a lingering injury, and trying to fight through it...No clue.

He surely wasn't the weakest link.  Heck, he had one game where he was the highest rated, or so I thought?  

Whatever the reason, Adeniji sure doesn't look ready for prime time.  And what of D'Ante Smith?  That guy has shown enough to get a look as well.  Why is he still riding the pine?  
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 12:46 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Spain certainly plays with an attitude.

Yes he does.  I was impressed to see him playing through the whistle, driving his man into the ground 5-6 yards down field on multiple occasions.  Early in the season, Carman was looking like he was developing into that same sort of player.  While I'm glad to see Adeniji get some starting time, I also feel fairly certain that Carman is being kept off the field for health concerns rather than for lack of meriting play time.

Back issues are tough to deal with.  Once you've had one and recovered, you can be just fine for lengthy periods of time, then in an instant it can relapse and nag for weeks or even months.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 04:13 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Benched Dalton in favor of Finley. Unless we're giving Talyor credit for tanking if that's what he was doing. Also with Hopkins struggles due to his previous knee injury makes you question they're judgement on trading Price.

But, but, but Findley finally broke the squeeler spell and now they've lost the last two to us.. I'm almost surprised we haven't had a bunch of people here demand a trade of Burrow for Findley because of the INTs using the above logic.. Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 08:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  And what of D'Ante Smith?  That guy has shown enough to get a look as well.  Why is he still riding the pine?  

He is on IR.  Surgery for torn meniscus.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 10:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He is on IR.  Surgery for torn meniscus.

Was it the season-ending IR or shouldn't he be able to return by now?  I guess we didn't get an update on the severity of the meniscus tear, or the type of tear, I should say. 
Reply/Quote
You guys are sitting here acting like prime Willie Anderson is being benched for Adneji.

I have zero issues with the coaching staff playing the better man for the job. Obviously they think Adenji is better suited right now than Carman, for whatever reason.

Lets be honest though, we are polishing a turd by playing either of them. It's not like either have been great so far this year, and I wasn't really expecting them to be.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 11:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Was it the season-ending IR or shouldn't he be able to return by now?  I guess we didn't get an update on the severity of the meniscus tear, or the type of tear, I should say. 

He went on IR like 2 weeks ago. No way he is healthy enough to play right now. 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 11:46 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He went on IR like 2 weeks ago. No way he is healthy enough to play right now. 

It really depends on the type of tear, but if we aren't seeing him getting ready on the rehab field or anything, I guess it is time to assume he is not going to be around any time soon.  Too bad.  
Reply/Quote
Carman is lazy, showed up out of shape to practice.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 11:45 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You guys are sitting here acting like prime Willie Anderson is being benched for Adneji.

I have zero issues with the coaching staff playing the better man for the job. Obviously they think Adenji is better suited right now than Carman, for whatever reason.

This.

Despite all the info we have like PFF ratings and NextGen win rates the fact is that it is extremely difficult for fans to evaluate offensive linemen.  We can pick out the really bad plays and the really good plays  but we don't know enough about assignments and fine details of technique to really judge them very well.
Reply/Quote
Everybody wants to get mad at the coaches for not playing the best players, but yet when they put a guy in who they think might be a better fit to get him some game reps, the same people lose their minds.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 08:00 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I thought that was a good example. But I do agree on Carman. I have seen some plays I really like from him but he hasn't been consistent. I have to trust the coaches who are looking at the tape and watching practices. I think Carman looks like he will develop into a solid contributor. 

Ive liked what Ive seen overall from Carman too....he has made some pancake blocks, and held his own Vs some good DL dlineman..on flip side 
he has also shown some lapses on concentration and has wiffed on some blocks (see Sheldon Rankins in Jets game where he almost got Mixon injured)...but Im not a coach and do not see him day to day. Just seems weird they would insert  guy like Adeniji coming off an injury as a starter? 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 12:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everybody wants to get mad at the coaches for not playing the best players, but yet when they put a guy in who they think might be a better fit to get him some game reps, the same people lose their minds.

This.

A lot of fans will get upset that we don't sign players that other teams don't think are good enough to be on their roster, but when we try a guy who is already on our roster they complain.

I have no idea if Adeniji is better than Carman right now.  I don't have a ton of faith in our coaches.  But the fact is they know a hell of a lot more than me about O-line technique and they have seen hundreds of more reps from these guys in practice than I have.

They may be wrong about Adeniji, but we have problems with our O-line so I don't have a problem trying something new.  It is not like they are benching a star player.

And I am not writing off Carman even if he is benched for the rest of the year.  He has a lot of potential.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

A lot of fans will get upset that we don't sign players that other teams don't think are good enough to be on their roster, but when we try a guy who is already on our roster they complain.

I have no idea if Adeniji is better than Carman right now.  I don't have a ton of faith in our coaches.  But the fact is they know a hell of a lot more than me about O-line technique and they have seen hundreds of more reps from these guys in practice than I have.

They may be wrong about Adeniji, but we have problems with our O-line so I don't have a problem trying something new.  It is not like they are benching a star player.

And I am not writing off Carman even if he is benched for the rest of the year.  He has a lot of potential.

And, this is football, not baseball. When you pull a guy out, you can put him back in....
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 11:58 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Carman is lazy, showed up out of shape to practice.

lol based on what accounts? 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Despite all the info we have like PFF ratings and NextGen win rates the fact is that it is extremely difficult for fans to evaluate offensive linemen.  We can pick out the really bad plays and the really good plays  but we don't know enough about assignments and fine details of technique to really judge them very well.

OL is undoubtedly the most difficult thing to measure, even with advanced stats. You can generally measure an OL as a unit fairly simply, but individual linemen are very, very difficult. 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 12:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: lol based on what accounts? 

You serious?
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 04:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good point.

Season was over when we benched Dalton, but that move really made Zac look bad.  Don't know how Finley could have possibly looked better than Dalton in practice.

Finley did beat Steelers last year.  Just never got more accurate
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2021, 12:33 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Finley did beat Steelers last year. 

On 15 pass plays he produced 78 yards.

We won that game because the Steelers gave it to us with turnovers.  Our first 3 scoring drives were 4 yards (FG), 26 yards (TD), and 38 yards (TD).
Reply/Quote