Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This defense is the real deal
(09-13-2022, 05:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I get wanting more sacks and turnovers, but I don't get how people think our defense did anything but play great on Sunday. 5 turnovers and we STILL had a shot to win (and we DO win if Clark Harris isn't hurt) because our defense stymied Pittsburgh's offense.

They played well but crapped the bed on that final drive. Pitt made some plays, but you can't let them storm down the field and kick that field goal with Trubisky at QB. Hubbard made a big mistake on the off sides. 

I'd like to see some more pass rush, but that's really my only critique. I think that game just highlighted just how abysmal the Steelers offense is rather than how good the Bengals D is, though. They are not going to be good this year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 09:53 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They played well but crapped the bed on that final drive. Pitt made some plays, but you can't let them storm down the field and kick that field goal with Trubisky at QB. Hubbard made a big mistake on the off sides. 

I'd like to see some more pass rush, but that's really my only critique. I think that game just highlighted just how abysmal the Steelers offense is rather than how good the Bengals D is, though. They are not going to be good this year. 

The mere fact after 5 Turnovers... we were still in the game to get to OT is a huge credit to the Defense by itself...   

Our Defense Gave up less points than our the Offense Scored....
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 06:19 PM)Rattler Wrote: Punt to the Stoolers with 17 seconds on the play clock with the game clock running in OT...

ZT has the same game management as marvin lewis...

Name the game where Marvin "lost" the game with seconds left in OT via game management???
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 06:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Defense played well.

The Steelers oline may be one of the worst in the NFL. And Trubisky sucks as a qb.

I would have liked to see more sacks. And Hubbard jumped offside and missed Trubisky and gave them a free play on game winning drive.

Week 2 will prove nothing.

Defense will play a weak Dallas Offense.

AND the 

Steelers offense will play a weak Patriot team. The Pats Defense might play well, but there Offense will keep the Pitt Offense in the game and OMG, the Steelers might be 2-0. Twitch
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 09:48 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How the ball didn't pop out is beyond me. That was a hell of a play. 

Yup. He pulled the ball in just as TH was swiping, and just missed it. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 02:26 PM)TheFan Wrote: Pittsburgh was the 21st ranked offense last year with Ben as QB. At worst Ben and Trubisky are equal with Mitch likely being better. 

The defense gave up 13 points in regulation despite the offense having 4 turnovers, 3 of which were around the 50 or closer. Even the TD Pitt did score was after a questionable PI following a failed 3rd down. Pittsburgh had 13 total drives:

1 drive of over 50 yards
9 under 20 yards with 6 being less than 10. 

What more do you expect a defense to do? This is the NFL.

No doubt, fantastic, smart, disciplined, good tackling Defense. Nice post TheFan. Rock On

(09-13-2022, 02:36 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I don't know ...maybe do what the Steelers did....
Sack the QB, make him uncomfortable...
Maybe force some fumbles ....play thievery in the 
Secondary 
If the Steelers  D doesn't show up and play flip the field,  the Bengals win that game.
When a offense struggles, then 2 other phases in
The game have to take their games to another level

Eh, if you want to live or die by turnovers I differ. The Defense WILL get turnovers but they have to be a damn good 
tackling Defense first and foremost. If you want to go back to the 2005 Defense fine, they couldn't tackle worth a shit
or stop the run, they just had great hands and were opportunistic.

This Defense could be a great tackling unit that stops the run and can be opportunistic. This is what I want.

(09-13-2022, 03:45 PM)TheFan Wrote: So if the defense let's them drive 45 yards and then gets an int that's somehow better than a 3 and out? Our defense gave up 13 points in regulation. The Steelers defense gave up 20 points and should have been more. Our defense forced six 3 and outs out of 13 drives. 

Another nice post. Well said. Our Defense was way better than the stealers Defense. Our Offense put them in terrible 
situations the entire game with all those turnovers and they still only allowed 13 points.

(09-13-2022, 05:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I get wanting more sacks and turnovers, but I don't get how people think our defense did anything but play great on Sunday. 5 turnovers and we STILL had a shot to win (and we DO win if Clark Harris isn't hurt) because our defense stymied Pittsburgh's offense.

Truth. ThumbsUp

(09-14-2022, 09:25 AM)TheFan Wrote: If you eye balled it then you would have seen that the Steelers were doing a lot of quick passes, dump offs, sweeps, etc. Those make it hard to get sacks, hurries, and TFL or passes defended. Our defense is never going to be explosive as one like the Steelers because we don't have a player like Watt, Garrett, or Darnold. Ours is always going to be a controlling defense that plays sound football and limits drives/points. 

If you think sacks, hurries, TFL, and the other stuff you mentioned is what makes a defense and the stats I posted isn't that's okay for you. The eye test goes both ways and anyone who watched the games knows all of those were very limited for the defense based on the way the Steelers O was playing. 

Obviously you want both. But like I said to the other poster, I'd rather the defense force six three and outs than give up 3 long drives but get a sack or TFL at some point in them. 

If anything our Offense should of been calling plays like the stealers were honestly.

I keep our Defense, but the offensive play calling we have is still my biggest concern.

Thank God we have the talent we have on Offense to make up for it and the Defense we have to keep us in games when 
they screw up on the offensive side.

(09-14-2022, 09:48 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How the ball didn't pop out is beyond me. That was a hell of a play. 

Was a hell of a play by Hendrickson. Couldn't believe the dude didn't fumble there either...
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 09:53 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They played well but crapped the bed on that final drive. Pitt made some plays, but you can't let them storm down the field and kick that field goal with Trubisky at QB. Hubbard made a big mistake on the off sides. 

I agree with you there. They played great for most of the rest of the game and when we needed just 1 more stop, they failed. I mean, the Steelers started at the 20 with, what, a minute left to play?

But, I won't fault the defense for playing there considering they had the offense giving the Steelers chance after chance to score with the turnovers.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 01:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I agree with you there. They played great for most of the rest of the game and when we needed just 1 more stop, they failed. I mean, the Steelers started at the 20 with, what, a minute left to play?

But, I won't fault the defense for playing there considering they had the offense giving the Steelers chance after chance to score with the turnovers.

I mean, the Offense turned the ball over 5 frickin' times. I think they were the ones who really shit the bed. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Usually teams that win the turnover
Battle win the game . The body of evidence is Sunday
And in the playoffs last year.
I think more alarming is the lack of
Pressure on Trubisky. The Steelers OTs
Are career backups at best. Yet Hubbard
And the rest of the dline failed to create havoc
On the pocket.
Did Lou even dial up any blitzes
From Hilton or the safties?
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 02:38 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Usually teams that win the turnover
Battle win the game . The body of evidence is Sunday
And in the playoffs last year.
I think more alarming is the lack of
Pressure on Trubisky.  The Steelers OTs
Are career backups at best. Yet Hubbard
And the rest of the dline failed to create havoc
On the pocket.
Did Lou even dial up any blitzes
From Hilton or the safties?

I can see looking at the lack of pressure as being the more alarming thing when looking at the Defense last Sunday. That is a
valid point and if we aren't getting pressure against that front it might be a bad sign. Hendrickson was getting pressure, but 
that was it. Think Hubbard will bounce back against the Cowboys and have a good game getting pressure but we might need
to see what Gunter or one of the other backup Ends have if he doesn't.

Didn't see many blitzes on Defense Sunday honestly.
Reply/Quote
Steelers are no world beaters on offense but look around the league at some surprising points scored by other weak offensives.. it is still the NFL, we need to continue the same against Dallas.. should be run heavy....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 01:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I agree with you there. They played great for most of the rest of the game and when we needed just 1 more stop, they failed. I mean, the Steelers started at the 20 with, what, a minute left to play?

They were tried after carrying the team on their back the first 4 quarters
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 03:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Steelers are no world beaters on offense but look around the league at some surprising points scored by other weak offensives.. it is still the NFL, we need to continue the same against Dallas.. should be run heavy....

Which is nice for this Defense, built to stop the run....

(09-15-2022, 02:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: They were tried after carrying the team on their back the first 4 quarters

I would think that would be the reason. Put in bad positions practically the entire game by the Offense.
Reply/Quote
It is a Super bowl winning capable defense, for sure. I would like to see some more sacks or turnovers, though. Steelers producing 5 turnovers and 7 sacks to our 0 turnovers and 1 sack.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 02:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, love our Defense. We needed a thread about them. DJ Reader and Logan Wilson are studs and with Trey Hendrickson
on passing downs we can both stop the run very well and rush the passer. Hubbard, Ossai, Sample, Gunter need to step up
though in the pass rush so we don't have to just rely on Hendrickson.

Our Secondary looks great too and Apple actually played very well on Sunday. Bates played great and Bell was hitting like 
his usual self. Want to see a little more of Dax though, but kind of hard to get him snaps when everyone is playing good.

Mike Hilton had another good day. Love this Defense. Rock On

Not too flashy but stingy like that old rich grandmother!
Reply/Quote